• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino how's the weather this year?

acdbee

Time of past OR future Camino
september 2013
Hello pilgrims!

My husband and I will be starting our journey in early September, and planning on walking slowly, to arrive from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela in anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks. I am wondering how the weather is this year. Are locals saying that it is cold or warm? Rainy or dry? The elders here in northern Canada are usually able to let us know what kind of spring we will have based on the winter. Is there anything similar there, fall based on summer?

I'm still in a quandry about how much to pack...
Thanks for your help, and Buen Camino!
Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The weather this year in Europe is "interesting". A long cold wet winter has been followed by brief periods of intense heat, very heavy rain storms and occasional outbreaks of normal.

Pack as little as you need, and take an umbrella.

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
falcon269 said:
The weather this year is just like last year, but on different days. :D
Once again falcon269, you are soo funny! :D Thanks for the weather report.

I just finished 80 days. We got the September rains in May...

That's great! (for me:) I will be walking in Sept/Oct.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
ausmarko said:
I just finished 80 days. We got the September rains in May...

Me, too. Leaving SJPDP Sept. 19 - praying for clear, cool days but preparing for weather. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Unless you get the April rains in September and October... :wink:

Prepare for weather and you will be fine. I have encountered a continuous week of rain in October. I do not mind the walking when it rains (Altus and gaiters), but laundry does not dry except in a dryer. After the sodden week, a fussy pilgrim asked me if the socks I was putting on the radiator smelled. I replied, "everything I own smells." She remained unhappy.

Not that it will be much help for September, but the weather for the past few weeks has been fabulous, with lovely warm daytime temperatures and only a couple of hours light rain in total. Lovely dry terrain for walking and long evenings relaxing over a couple of drinks after the walk and mass. You couldn' t hope for a more perfect weather .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been walking Caminos since 2000. I know that's not long enough for any scientific observation about the weather, but one thing that seems pretty clear is that strong or extreme weather events are becoming much more common. I walked the Levante this year from Valencia and somehow managed to avoid all the rain that was falling everywhere else in Spain when I looked at the TV. When I got home one of the first things I did was buy a better rain poncho and some new gaiters, so that I will be better prepared for next year. And I decided that next year my Marmot precip pants are coming with me. Because I figure that one of these years, the rain has got to fall on me!

I don't like to preach but I think that anyone walking a camino at any time of year should be prepared for rain. If you never need the poncho/gaiters or pack cover/rain coat/rain pants, lucky you, but I do think rain gear is essential.

I don't like to preach but I think that anyone walking a camino at any time of year should be prepared for rain. If you never need the poncho/gaiters or pack cover/rain coat/rain pants, lucky you, but I do think rain gear is essential.
I think the saying goes along the lines that one should pack for the climate, and dress for the weather. There are a number of climate sites around, all of which indicate that there are several rainy days in every month across Spain. If you don't want to walk in wet clothing, prepare for that, and if you don't need that gear, be thankful.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back