• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Huge crowds, long delays, disgruntled tour groups

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
El Correo reports that long queues of people waiting in unpleasant conditions generated by wind and rain, is the constant environment of the Cathedral. To access the Platerías door inside the temple, the line of tourists and pilgrims arrived at midmorning to Rua do Franco. The long waits sowed unrest in many of the visitors, who see how their plans to visit the Galician capital are disrupted by difficulties to access the basilica.

Restrictions on access to the temple, which were established to prevent overcrowding in the interior, are also creating problems for specific groups in the tourism sector. This is the case of the guides, who have highlighted the complications for those who were supposed to meet the timetables set for organized groups that come to Compostela, if to access to the Cathedral they are forced to wait, often more than an hour until they all gain access.

The system, which was launched at Easter, offers only the Platerías gateway to the central naves of the Basilica. From the Holy Door visitors only have access to the crypt and shrine of the Apostle, and must leave and re-enter if you want to visit Platerías the rest of the temple.

The situation that is creating this system has aroused the concern of the Cabildo de la Catedral, with the expectation that the queues will grow as we approach the summer months.

http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/ ... ia-545436/

PS: The capacity increased by 400 persons: The maximum capacity of the Cathedral has been increasing since the access control was initiated. From the 1,200 visitors that were estimated at first increased to 1,500 and finally to 1,650 people.

Attachments

• The tails of the Cathedral at noon yesterday toured the entire square Platerías.jpg
    The tails of the Cathedral at noon yesterday toured the entire square Platerías.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 858
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back