• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Huge rush from Sarria at the moment

• Thread starter Deleted member 32860
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32860

Maybe it's due to the holiday, but there's a huge rush from sarria and onwards right now. Staying in portomarin tonight and everything is fullybooked - albergues and hotels - people moving on to gonzar and hospital which also filled up before 16 o'clock. The amount of people that suddenly appeared from Sarria was unbelievable. No matter where I looked from Sarria to Portomarin it was pilgrim after pilgrim. Now people are sitting in the albergues and booking ahead. Me too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Statistically 45% of arrivals who walked the Camino Francés started in Sarria, with another 6% from Cebreiro. Of these walkers, more than half are Spanish. Thus it is obvious that during Spanish holidays crowds are excessive and partying galore.

There were about 1,200 arrivals each day in Santiago in the last two days, so it started being busy last week.

The botofumeiro is flying as I type, so a benefit of large numbers is that someone is paying for the swinging, and the rest of us benefit!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1 is a huge quasi-holiday across Europe. A lot of folks will take "bridge days" to have a long weekend. That likely accounts for the uptick of Spanish folks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is not just the Camino and pilgrims. Accommodation is hard to get anywhere near Córdoba this weekend.

Last edited:
May 1st holiday, probably. It has been eight days in a row with over 1,000 compostelas issued, The average in May is 1,460 per day!:)
I’m still in Santiago and many large groups are here.

Isn't it the case that people with only a week or less to spare often start in Sarria?
Yes. Watching the webcam a Bando, San Marcos for a couple of minutes in the last few days, about 75% of the walkers do not have backpacks, so they are the weekend walkers for the current good weather.

Yes indeed. Of all those receiving a Compostela last year who walked the Camino Frances over 40% started in Sarria. And about 60% of those receiving a Compostela walked the Camino Frances - far more than any other route. So Sarria is by far the most popular starting point.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes indeed. Of all those receiving a Compostela last year who walked the Camino Frances over 40% started in Sarria. And about 60% of those receiving a Compostela walked the Camino Frances - far more than any other route. So Sarria is by far the most popular starting point.
My intention has always been to walk the Camino but not necessarily heading into Santiago, especially when it is wall to wall from Sarria, or more aptly foot to foot from Sarria. Viva la space!! ... For me. However as we appreciate everyone has different views, ideas, conceptions, needs, preferences when experiencing life.
My next few weeks starting end of May will be Figeac to StJdP.

I’m heading to Sarria today and also feeling annoyed by crowds, litter, graffiti (pilgrim specific and local) and bad attitudes (people who don’t reply to ‘buen camino’ or even “hola”) so I get it. But Its also just a bit surreal for a large group of mostly non-Spaniards to chat about the holiday of another country as if they shouldn’t be out walking on their own soil, enjoying their traditions of celebrating (perhaps quite loudly next to tired pilgrims). I just don’t think I could be as gracious as most Spaniards have been to me after seeing how some of us behave. Last night I slept under a bunk filled with pilgrim graffiti, I’ve passed hundreds more Camino quote graffiti done in sharpie under every bridge I’ve walked. This is their country. I know we bring in a lot of money, but the Camino is something they graciously share and some pilgrims really do treat the areas of Spain around the Camino with total disrespect. Banana peels tossed on church steps, tissue paper mating gorgeous fields. One glaring example was dozens of those little coffee machine cups from the only albergue in miles thrown all over an early morning trail. In light of what “we” do I think they can make all the noise and form as many crowds as they see fit. Now, I’m going on there and living that thought today!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back