• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Humans of the Camino - photo project

JoeLav

Time of past OR future Camino
Started Camino Frances (St Jean - Pamplona) 2007
Completed the Camino Frances (Pamplona - Santiago) in 2014
Hello Everybody,

This is just a thread to let people know about a project that I have been working on.. I walked the Camino with my wife last year (our Honeymoon!) and as we walked, I took portraits of some of the pilgrims we met along the way. This was an amazing thing to do, as I heard some truly inspirational stories from people we met.
I recently walked 2 weeks of the camino again this year and added to the collection of stories & portraits. I have decided to start sharing them on a new Facebook page and on my website:

https://www.facebook.com/humansofthecamino

http://joelaverty-photography.com/humans-of-the-camino/

Some of you will be familiar with the Humans of New York page, which is a brilliant snapshot of the people of New York. My project was so similar, I decided to branch off from that idea.

At some stage I may exhibit the photos, but for now - I'll just keep sharing some new stories every day. The people in the photographs are some of the best people I have ever met and I thank each and every one of them for their courage and honesty.

Hopefully you can have a look at the page and see for yourself.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Peter!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Everybody,

This is just a thread to let people know about a project that I have been working on.. I walked the Camino with my wife last year (our Honeymoon!) and as we walked, I took portraits of some of the pilgrims we met along the way. This was an amazing thing to do, as I heard some truly inspirational stories from people we met.
I recently walked 2 weeks of the camino again this year and added to the collection of stories & portraits. I have decided to start sharing them on a new Facebook page and on my website:

Some of you will be familiar with the Humans of New York page, which is a brilliant snapshot of the people of New York. My project was so similar, I decided to branch off from that idea.

At some stage I may exhibit the photos, but for now - I'll just keep sharing some new stories every day. The people in the photographs are some of the best people I have ever met and I thank each and every one of them for their courage and honesty.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Thanks Joe, lovely photos. I have sent out a load of invites to friends on FB from my own Camino.

First photo I looked at ( Juan, Extremadura and his dog Bella) is a guy I walked with off and on in January, I caught an early morning bus in Cacabelos when my Camino had come to an end, I could see him walking down the road coughing which was a result of sleeping out at night in cold, damp conditions. Buen Camino Juan

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks - Mike - that's great that you have met Juan (&Bella) before. He seems like a real character.. My aim is to learn Spanish after meeting him as I'm sure he had much more to tell than those few brief lines (that I could understand!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
tmp_6496-image-327414177.jpg

Not a great photo but you can see the back of him and Bella on the far left, we were on our way to Astorga. He does not have much but he does have a noble spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - brilliant Mike! When was the photo taken? I saw him quite a few times on the way last July (2014), i took the photo in Carrion de los Condes..

I remember the freaky looking statue in your photograph only too well! :)

It was on a Wednesday 7th Jan I think, we both stayed in Santa Catlina that night, the last time was after I just jumped on the bus, seeing him cut through my self absorption(leg injury, how to get to Paris), it is what he has chosen but its not easy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That sounds like our conversation Galliano! He spoke in spanish and pointed at things, I spoke in 'spanglish' and tried to interpret what I could! I think we had some understanding :) His eyes tell the story anyway!

Joe, this is wonderful, thank you. One of the most beautiful things about the camino are the people we meet along the way...and how we can connect deeply regardless of our many differences. It's such a treat to see a new face and story each day--and in doing so to recall the experience of living in the Camino family with so many wonderful beings.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks Viranani :) I originally intending capturing the scenery, but one day in, I realised it was all about the people - so my attention turned towards them..

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for reading,

Joe
hey! i walked the Camino for my honeymoon too! but in 2004!
love the project

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jeffery - There is no better Honeymoon! :)
Castillian - thanks, I saw so many photos of Zapatones - he seemed like a genuinely interesting Character!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back