A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Humor in times of Covid-19 (round 2)

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
We have had a lot of much-needed humor offered on the forum, good medicine in these times. But what we were finding was that putting the funny comments in between the serious comments was getting a little jarring. So, here is what we have done:

— all previous humorous coronavirus threads have been merged. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-little-humor-during-tough-times.67138/

— this new thread is open for business for new humorous comments.

By way of explanation, we already have a “silly topics” sub-forum: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/not-so-serious-topics.200/

We started the silly topics sub-forum several months ago, when the now legendary silly thread was taking off, and some forum members were complaining about it as a non-camino topic. Rather than close it or prohibit it, we decided the best thing was to let it continue to thrive, but in a place in the forum where it wouldn’t keep popping up in regular feeds. So to see these posts, you now have to know where to find them.

Well, that has become a problem as we go further into coronavirus and people are looking for more stress-reducing. If we put their humor threads in the silly sub-forum, most people won’t see them and the silly/humor threads will just continue to proliferate.

So we are bringing this humor thread out into the open, as a place where forum members can find some relief. Please enjoy this thread, but if you want to start your own silly thread, please take it to the sub-forum where it will not bother those who are not in the mood for non-camino posts.

If this is confusing, just PM me or another mod. Buen camino, Laurie

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi Laurie, as you have probably observed over time that I am one who loves the silliness, in addition to the serious. This new thread sounds great, even though I don't know exactly what a sub-forum is...Ha! I am still techy challenged, so I probably won't trouble you with a PM about the specifics of it, as I most likely will still have too many questions and tax your patience.😉
I sure hope that we can get our walk in this spring when the virus hopefully and finally goes "poof". Let's cross our fingers, pray, or get out our magic wands.
Screenshot_2020-03-26-16-20-33.jpg

Last edited:

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
We have had a lot of much-needed humor offered on the forum, good medicine in these times.
— this new thread is open for business for new humorous comments.
Well, that has become a problem as we go further into coronavirus and people are looking for more stress-reducing.
So we are bringing this humor thread out into the open, as a place where forum members can find some relief. Please enjoy this thread...
Thanks for this thread...laughter is still the best medicine.
A Tassie newspaper could see the humour in our unique position as an island off an island... or alternatively, down under Down Under! 😁 🤗
20200320_155932_copy_612x816.jpg
Stay well everyone. Walkers are a resilient bunch & 'adapt' is our middle name so we'll ride it out until we can get back on the trail.
👣 🌏

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
My neighbor in quarantine:

Store ører.jpg

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Trecile, I like the cartoon, but do not speak Spanish...I think it's a job interview and he's being asked if he has had any human contact in the last two months. If his answer is "No", he's hired on the spot.😅

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Trecile, I like the cartoon, but do not speak Spanish...I think it's a job interview and he's being asked if he has had any human contact in the last two months. If his answer is "No", he's hired on the spot.😅
The interviewer sees a gap in the resume for 2020, and asks what he was doing then. The interviewee answers "I was washing my hands!“
😂😂😂

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Hopefully Via de Bayona/Burgos to Ponferrada/Camino de Invierno
He’s asked: there is a gap in your CV, what were you doing in 2020? And he answers: I was washing my hands 😁

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
I know I posted this before on some thread (long time ago in a galaxy far far away pre-COVID 19), but here it goes again:

A Roman walks into a bar and says "Can I have a Martinus?"
The bartender says - You mean a Martini?
Roman answers - FOOL! if I wanted a double i would've asked for it!

🍸:p

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Signing off to clean my closet.
I've been using so much Antibac and alcohol for safety matters, so each time I pee, the toilet is disinfected completely. I prefer alcohol for interior reasons.

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
Last edited:

linkster

Nunca dejes de creer!
Camino(s) past & future
CF (17) Sarria - Portomarín
CF (17) SJPdP - SdC
CF (18) SJPdP - Fisterra
CP (19) Porto - Muxia
My oldest son is sharing an apartment with his girlfriend at UF, their classes are all online, Gainesville is a ghost town, and they are moving back home on Sunday. I texted them this morning and asked who gets custody of the toilet paper.:p
wellness 11.jpg

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future

bobbogram

Camino(s) past & future
El Norte San Sebastián to Santiago; Portuguese Lisbon to Porto; Porto to Santiago; Geneva west

I erased my postings, insensitive to the deaths and rates of reported infections accelerates. I would recommend there is no link between coronavirus and humor. These conversations and exchanges will be even more embarrassing as time goes on. I apologize for participating.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF

I erased my postings, insensitive to the deaths and rates of reported infections accelerates. I would recommend there is no link between coronavirus and humor. These conversations and exchanges will be even more embarrassing as time goes on. I apologize for participating.
@bobbogram I understand that humor in the face of tragedy seems irreverent and disrespectful at times. As a Nurse and Mental Health Counselor, I do know that humor is a defense mechanism that allows us to cope in the most surreal of situations. We try to find the irony and absurdity in what we are faced with, in short to help us live through it. " Laughter is the best medicine " is more true than not. If we can somehow poke fun at something that feels threatening, looming and large, we can feel a tiny bit of relief. I don't believe anyone here is being intentionally disrespectful. Nor are they making light of the gravity of what the world is facing. I think we're all simply trying to process it as best we can. Some of the most twisted humor comes from doctors, nurses, undertakers, ambulance drivers....because it allows us to feel we aren't afraid of it for just one moment.
Having said all of that, I do think we all need to really take a second look at what we are posing before doing so. I wish you peace in these scary times ☮❤✝

Camino(s) past & future
The French Way (2016), Portuguese Camino (2018),

Humor and laughter are helping us get through it.

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Having said all of that, I do think we all need to really take a second look at what we are posing before doing so.
That is very true – and not only when it comes to humor in difficult times. It will always be an act of balance; what one person may find is well within limits of acceptance others may find offensive, all we can do is try to apply good judgement (which I think that generally we do).

I, for one, would rather live with trying to balance the edge than live without humor :D

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Some of the most twisted humor comes from doctors, nurses, undertakers, ambulance drivers....because it allows us to feel we aren't afraid of it for just one moment.
My parents passed away just ten days apart a dozen years ago. When my brother and I were at the funeral home viewing all the many caskets on display, we started making jokes about the various ones and tried to stifle our uncontrollable laughter. I'm sure the funeral director thought we were being very disrespectful, but actually our grief was very deep. I assume it was a way to deal with the magnitude and shock of our loss at that particular moment.
Believe me, I shed many, many tears in the days and months thereafter.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 & 2015 ),Via San Francesco(2017) Camino Portugese (2018 )Camino Ingles(2019) CF
My parents passed away just ten days apart a dozen years ago. When my brother and I were at the funeral home viewing all the many caskets on display, we started making jokes about the various ones and tried to stifle our uncontrollable laughter. I'm sure the funeral director thought we were being very disrespectful, but actually our grief was very deep. I assume it was a way to deal with the magnitude and shock of our loss at that particular moment.
Believe me, I shed many, many tears in the days and months thereafter.
...I'm sure the funeral director sees it often and though he might have had a somber face, was also giggling inside.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
@bobbogram I understand that humor in the face of tragedy seems irreverent and disrespectful at times. As a Nurse and Mental Health Counselor, I do know that humor is a defense mechanism that allows us to cope in the most surreal of situations. We try to find the irony and absurdity in what we are faced with, in short to help us live through it. " Laughter is the best medicine " is more true than not. If we can somehow poke fun at something that feels threatening, looming and large, we can feel a tiny bit of relief. I don't believe anyone here is being intentionally disrespectful. Nor are they making light of the gravity of what the world is facing. I think we're all simply trying to process it as best we can. Some of the most twisted humor comes from doctors, nurses, undertakers, ambulance drivers....because it allows us to feel we aren't afraid of it for just one moment.
Having said all of that, I do think we all need to really take a second look at what we are posing before doing so. I wish you peace in these scary times ☮❤✝
Agree 100%, Sophie!

I'm sure most of you still remember war in Balkans and Bosnia & Herzegovina and the siege of Sarajevo from 1994-96 (a bit shorter than the siege of Leningrad). At that time I was safe at home but watching everything on TV because I was worried for my friends there. When I visited them in 2000 they were telling such horrible jokes (over here we call it black humour) that I simply couldn't laugh but they were choking laughing (I remember one about putting together female body and male head in the morgue, go figure). And when I asked them how is that possible they answered that those jokes were all invented by the people of Sarajevo during the siege and that they wouldn't survive without them.

Phoenix

Camino(s) past & future
2014, CF: partial
2016, CF
2018, CF: partial
2019, CP
If someone doesn't believe humor is appropriate in difficult times, it's ok, you're not wrong if that's what you feel is best.

From personal experiences:
Dark humor (aka, "gallows" or "black" humor) and jokes with a dash of sarcasm helped get me through tough times. From my mid-thirties and for many years following, I was bound by the chains of disease. It was a monster that tried to take every bit of the essence that made me human. In addition to my faith in my Creator, I found that one of the best weapons I could wield was dark humor. For example, when some were unkind by remarking about my physical challenges, self-deprecating/dark humor disarmed them.

I also learned how humor helps when my son was at war. For 7+ months, I woke each day and went to bed each night not knowing if my son was alive or dead (except for the rare phone call from Afghanistan). When we did speak, he was the one who initiated the gallows humor, which was his way of dealing with his possible violent death at any moment. It was a language we both understood.

Even now, with much of my physical abilities regained, my "go-to" coping mechanism/shield is dark humor and sarcasm. I understand that some folks don't get it, and, again, that's ok.

Last edited:

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Does anyone know if we can take showers yet, or should we just keep washing our hands?
I have enjoyed this thread, but this is the first post that forced me to laugh, I guess because of the necessity, in this perilous time, of taking so much literally that is utterly out of our everyday experience.

Jyrki Wahlstedt

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo 2018 (, Portugues 2021)
Yes, it's a job interview. The interviewer mentions there's a year missing in the CV and asks what happened in 2020. The answer being that hands were being washed.

peregrina2000

Staff member
As you might guess, we moderators have been watching this thread carefully. There are doubts, questions, hesitation. Our reactions to this thread are by no means uniform.

When I am confronted with a question, I usually try to look for an answer from “the experts” to inform my thinking. My immediate reaction when wondering about @bobbogram’s post was, yes he is right. There is so much suffering, so much terrible tragedy, how can we laugh. Then I wondered what the psychologists would say about it, and I found a lot of resources online. Not a one condemned the use of humor, not even during our darkest times, not even when the butt of the joke is the tragedy itself. I found this online piece helpful, but there are tons of them.

One said:
“Some people will say this is not a time for laughter. The bottom line is, there is always a time for laughter,” LaRoche said. “We have 60,000 thoughts a day and many of them are very disturbing. Laughter helps the brain relax.”

Reading some online commentary more thoroughly, I see that the two things that we should be on the lookout for are racism (or other stereotyping in jokes) and those that cross some undefined line that just take us too close to the tragedy and suffering of others. I think we have done a good job of keeping away from those problems. Please forgive us, though, if we err on the side of deletion. It’s a very hard row to hoe.

So, if you are one of those people who is offended and cannot laugh about this, we certainly understand and encourage you not to look at this anymore. But for those who do view it as a needed outlet to preserve mental health, you are free to add your humor.

Stay safe, everyone.

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
One said:
“Some people will say this is not a time for laughter. The bottom line is, there is always a time for laughter,”
That time may be eternity too.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Under "normal" circumstances, I would say we should let adults be adults and not try too hard to protect everybody's feelings. (I have never been accused of being overly-sympathetic! :confused: )

However, I would like to offer another suggestion... Banter is wonderful and it is an important part of the sharing and friendships on the forum. However (bringing in my grumpy side) at a certain point, it becomes more suitable for a one-on-one messaging/Chat type of conversation. I wouldn't want it to stop entirely, since a clever response to a clever post is much appreciated. Just consider whether it is likely to be of interest to the other kids on the playground. :D

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I imagine the funeral home people see this a lot. I remember the funeral arrangements for my father as being a time of great joy, "inappropriate" humour and laughter for the remaining family. My mother even commented that she "hadn't laughed so much for many months."

I don't have time to read this link now, but I look forward to it!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Interesting little article. I've been to Key West and yep, it's a place where practically "anything goes", so not surprised some of the cemetery epitaph's are a bit unique and humorous.

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
Much consideration to those who lost their lives Around the world and also those who continue to suffer this virus...no disrespect intended. Saw this thought I’d share.

Home alone and have asthma no family close by so humor helps me cope with the loneliness

Bee Gees “Staying Alive” parody 😂😂😂😂😂🙋🏽‍♀️

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Interesting little article. I've been to Key West and yep, it's a place where practically "anything goes", so not surprised some of the cemetery epitaph's are a bit unique and humorous.
If you visit Tombstone, Arizona, USA, you can see these at Boot Hill cemetery from the Wild West "era":

Here lies Lester Moore
Killed by 4 slugs from a '44
No less, No more.

Here lies 4 Chinamen
hanged by mistakt.

He was right and we were wrong,
But we strung him up
and now he's gone.

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Well, things are not all that bad:

Last week, we learned how to wash our hands.

Next week:

How to find and use the direction lights of your car.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
However, I would like to offer another suggestion... Banter is wonderful and it is an important part of the sharing and friendships on the forum. However (bringing in my grumpy side) at a certain point, it becomes more suitable for a one-on-one messaging/Chat type of conversation.
I second the motion! Very good suggestion, @ C clearly.
If people want to keep in touch with each other in a lighthearted way, all good. But that is far better done in a PM context. Otherwise it just swamps and diverts the open thread, and risks annoying everyone else.
In this time, many of us are connecting in private conversations, and there anything goes.

And...gracias, mods. Does it feel like herding crickets yet?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
As you might guess, we moderators have been watching this thread carefully. There are doubts, questions, hesitation. Our reactions to this thread are by no means uniform.

When I am confronted with a question, I usually try to look for an answer from “the experts” to inform my thinking. My immediate reaction when wondering about @bobbogram’s post was, yes he is right. There is so much suffering, so much terrible tragedy, how can we laugh. Then I wondered what the psychologists would say about it, and I found a lot of resources online. Not a one condemned the use of humor, not even during our darkest times, not even when the butt of the joke is the tragedy itself. I found this online piece helpful, but there are tons of them.

One said:
“Some people will say this is not a time for laughter. The bottom line is, there is always a time for laughter,” LaRoche said. “We have 60,000 thoughts a day and many of them are very disturbing. Laughter helps the brain relax.”

Reading some online commentary more thoroughly, I see that the two things that we should be on the lookout for are racism (or other stereotyping in jokes) and those that cross some undefined line that just take us too close to the tragedy and suffering of others. I think we have done a good job of keeping away from those problems. Please forgive us, though, if we err on the side of deletion. It’s a very hard row to hoe.

So, if you are one of those people who is offended and cannot laugh about this, we certainly understand and encourage you not to look at this anymore. But for those who do view it as a needed outlet to preserve mental health, you are free to add your humor.

Stay safe, everyone.
Thank you for your post. I also understand bobbogram’s words and action. I have not yet read the material you have posted, but I immediately thought of the approach of a community education project I was lucky enough to be part of in Edinburgh a good few years ago: the images used in the learning process were carefully selected to provoke responses that reached the experience of the participants, but they had to be not too close, or the familiarity would interfere with the objectivity needed to identify the situation and be able to work on solutions to problems. The project used the philosophy and practice of Paolo Freire, a Brazilian educator. Humour is difficult to translate even to siblings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 92 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 362 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock