A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Humor in times of Covid-19 (round 2)

2020 Camino Guides
Status
Not open for further replies.
Camino(s) past & future
2013.2014..SJ/SDC ....2015.PORTO/SDC..2017.18.19.20.BURGOS/P.FERRADA
If someone doesn't believe humor is appropriate in difficult times, it's ok, you're not wrong if that's what you feel is best.

From personal experiences:
Dark humor (aka, "gallows" or "black" humor) and jokes with a dash of sarcasm helped get me through tough times. From my mid-thirties and for many years following, I was bound by the chains of disease. It was a monster that tried to take every bit of the essence that made me human. In addition to my faith in my Creator, I found that one of the best weapons I could wield was dark humor. For example, when some were unkind by remarking about my physical challenges, self-deprecating/dark humor disarmed them.

I also learned how humor helps when my son was at war. For 7+ months, I woke each day and went to bed each night not knowing if my son was alive or dead (except for the rare phone call from Afghanistan). When we did speak, he was the one who initiated the gallows humor, which was his way of dealing with his possible violent death at any moment. It was a language we both understood.

Even now, with much of my physical abilities regained, my "go-to" coping mechanism/shield is dark humor and sarcasm. I understand that some folks don't get it, and, again, that's ok.
If someone doesn't believe humor is appropriate in difficult times, it's ok, you're not wrong if that's what you feel is best.

From personal experiences:
Dark humor (aka, "gallows" or "black" humor) and jokes with a dash of sarcasm helped get me through tough times. From my mid-thirties and for many years following, I was bound by the chains of disease. It was a monster that tried to take every bit of the essence that made me human. In addition to my faith in my Creator, I found that one of the best weapons I could wield was dark humor. For example, when some were unkind by remarking about my physical challenges, self-deprecating/dark humor disarmed them.

I also learned how humor helps when my son was at war. For 7+ months, I woke each day and went to bed each night not knowing if my son was alive or dead (except for the rare phone call from Afghanistan). When we did speak, he was the one who initiated the gallows humor, which was his way of dealing with his possible violent death at any moment. It was a language we both understood.

Even now, with much of my physical abilities regained, my "go-to" coping mechanism/shield is dark humor and sarcasm. I understand that some folks don't get it, and, again, that's ok.
Hi Phoenix,just to say how happy I am to read your words""my physical abilities regained "". I walked into Hontanas with you and met again inC/J where you had to end your Camino. I could never have had the strength and courage to get so far as you did.God Bless and keep recovering.

Bristle boy

If not now...when? If not you...who?...........
Camino(s) past & future
Things that you can’t do while self isolating.
Going out for a meal....
Last time I went out it went like this.
Me: “Do you have a table for two?”
Maitre D: “Certainly, Would you mind waiting for a few minutes”
Me: “No Problem”
Maitre D: “Good, would you mind putting on this apron and take this to table four”

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I second the motion! Very good suggestion, @ C clearly.
If people want to keep in touch with each other in a lighthearted way, all good. But that is far better done in a PM context. Otherwise it just swamps and diverts the open thread, and risks annoying everyone else.
In this time, many of us are connecting in private conversations, and there anything goes.

And...gracias, mods. Does it feel like herding crickets yet?
Point taken! 😉 😊

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
AS one of my friends stated in the email I received today: If you can't laugh, all you'll do is cry. So laugh ... and pray.

so here goes another one:

At 7:45 am today at a grocery store that opened at 8 for seniors only there was a brawl. A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in at the front of the line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.

He returned and tried to cut in again, but an old man punched him in the gut, then kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.

As the young man approached the line for the 3rd time he warned, "If you don't let me unlock the door, you'll never get in there."

:D

Phoenix

Camino(s) past & future
2014, CF: partial
2016, CF
2018, CF: partial
2019, CP
Hi Phoenix,just to say how happy I am to read your words""my physical abilities regained "". I walked into Hontanas with you and met again inC/J where you had to end your Camino. I could never have had the strength and courage to get so far as you did.God Bless and keep recovering.
Thx, phillip. It was a memorable day and a fond memory. I'm doing well and look forward to returning to Camino--just like a million or so others.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Francais: 2002, 2012, 2019. (Future Ingles, Primitivo, Portuguese in 2020)
Humor in times of Covid-19 (round 2)

I erased my postings, insensitive to the deaths and rates of reported infections accelerates. I would recommend there is no link between coronavirus and humor. These conversations and exchanges will be even more embarrassing as time goes on. I apologize for participating.
We're just happy to have you!

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
As you might guess, we moderators have been watching this thread carefully. There are doubts, questions, hesitation. Our reactions to this thread are by no means uniform.

When I am confronted with a question, I usually try to look for an answer from “the experts” to inform my thinking. My immediate reaction when wondering about @bobbogram’s post was, yes he is right. There is so much suffering, so much terrible tragedy, how can we laugh. Then I wondered what the psychologists would say about it, and I found a lot of resources online. Not a one condemned the use of humor, not even during our darkest times, not even when the butt of the joke is the tragedy itself. I found this online piece helpful, but there are tons of them.

One said:
“Some people will say this is not a time for laughter. The bottom line is, there is always a time for laughter,” LaRoche said. “We have 60,000 thoughts a day and many of them are very disturbing. Laughter helps the brain relax.”

Reading some online commentary more thoroughly, I see that the two things that we should be on the lookout for are racism (or other stereotyping in jokes) and those that cross some undefined line that just take us too close to the tragedy and suffering of others. I think we have done a good job of keeping away from those problems. Please forgive us, though, if we err on the side of deletion. It’s a very hard row to hoe.

So, if you are one of those people who is offended and cannot laugh about this, we certainly understand and encourage you not to look at this anymore. But for those who do view it as a needed outlet to preserve mental health, you are free to add your humor.

Stay safe, everyone.
I think there is an important distinction between jokes that "punch down" and jokes that "punch up". Jokes that make fun of that which is causing the suffering are fine, and, as many others have pointed out, are often of great benefit to those who are getting through hard times. Jokes that make fun of those doing the suffering are completely different. Those are the ones I would see as disrespectful and minimizing the suffering of others.

Just my perspective.

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C.Franconia 2019 C.Algeciras Sevillia 2019
Swabian C. (2020)
A little question what is a direction lights of your car?

Medical personell and cops have the blackest kind of humor comes with the territor.

If I can laugh about it I can live with it just a little bit longer. So please let them come.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
A little question what is a direction lights of your car?

Medical personell and cops have the blackest kind of humor comes with the territor.

If I can laugh about it I can live with it just a little bit longer. So please let them come.
I think it's what we call indicators here, not sure what you would call them. Little flashing lights on the side of your car to tell people you're turning.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
I think it's what we call indicators here, not sure what you would call them. Little flashing lights on the side of your car to tell people you're turning.
😁 Thank you for this, and thank you @Delphinoula for asking the question, as I had been reluctant to do so. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it was @alexwalker who originally mentioned direction lights. Now I get it! 😆

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Swabian C. (2020)
Ha I know them as turn signals. I never stop learning. Where I grew up people just held their arms out to indicate a turn. 🤡

Iriebabel

The cyborg turtle
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018
Camino Del Norte & part of Lebaniego 2019
Ok so this one is real. I saved the clip from my front door camera.
Are you wondering how Godzilla is coping with the corona virus ? Well he is obviously trying to get away from it to shelter in place inside my house ...either that or he is running from the snake outside. I love Florida wild life. 😂🤷🏽‍♀️ hahah
View attachment trim.AC2C2985-29A3-49AC-9E6B-DC7B6265904C.MOV

Delphinoula

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Swabian C. (2020)
hand signes and other oddities when driving:
un poquito mas derecho
one day my dad came home shaking his head. He had tried to get a local driver’s license. There you had to memories the priority roads. No no just 50 years ago. So there was the rule left before right but according to his driving instructor their where roads that were un poquito mas derecho.

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021" ... (GOD WILLING!)
Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace. To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!! 🍷🥃🍸🍹🍻👍

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
Heard a Dr. on TV saying in this time of Coronavirus staying at home we should focus on inner peace. To achieve this we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things I'd started and hadn't finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum. And two hash yer wands, stafe day avrybobby!!! 🍷🥃🍸🍹🍻👍
Priceless! 😂😂😂😂😂

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
Gwait mines sink awike!! 🤪

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Brilliant 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Last edited:

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
One way to save the TP (it's in Serbian but you'll get it, just a hint - the little piece of napkin in the end is for cleaning under your fingernail):

View attachment 72261
Yeah...saw that in Russian as well.
Apparently east European Block think s alike

:D

MikeyC

Camino(s) past & future
CF - September 2016
CF - April May 2017
Shikoku - October 2017
Kumano Kodo - October 2017
CF - 2019
New booking system proposal for albergues in Galicia.

There’s an interesting article in today’s Voz de Galicia about a proposed new booking system for the hostels run by the Galician government.

I have used Google translate so there may be some inaccuracies. My comments are in italics.

“A spokesperson said that they were already expecting a large increase in numbers for 2021 due to the Holy Year. However, based on input from interested parties, a massive surge is now forecast as pent up demand carries forward to next year.

To manage this demand and allow pilgrims to plan better, pilgrims will be required to book online the day prior to arrival at each hostel. Each hostel webpage will have a floor plan showing bunks and pilgrims will select from available bunks. There will be dynamic pricing depending on demand (I think this refers to the system that airlines use) so that prices will vary day to day and even hour to hour. Lower bunks will be considered a premium product and will have a higher minimum start price than upper bunks.

To reflect the true cost of providing services to pilgrims, and to allow a fund to be built up for expansion of the hostel network, charges will be introduced in other areas. These will include taking a backpack into the room, for hiking pole and boot storage, pre-booked shower time slots and (my favourite) a charge for priority early departure. Usage of the hostel kitchens will be bookable in 30 minute slots, also with variable pricing.

Pilgrims should select their preferences at time of booking as these will be more costly if purchased later or in the hostel.

The spokesperson added that the Junta was pleased to announce that Senor Primo Aprillius, the former General Manager of Ryanair Espana, has been appointed to oversee these exciting new developments for the pilgrim community.

In a separate statement, Sr Aprillius, who has actually been in office since December 28th 2019, also expressed his concerns for 2021 about potential overcrowding from Sarria onwards and how this could affect negatively the Camino experience for everyone as well as being a potential health and safety issue. One possible solution was for timed group departure slots which would also be bookable online with prepayment and priced according to demand. He stressed that this was just an idea at this stage and welcomed comments. He further added that the hostel booking system was currently in the design stage by the Government IT experts and would be stress tested to ensure it was fool proof.

Santiago, 1st April 2020”

Bristle boy

Camino(s) past & future
New booking system proposal for albergues in Galicia.

There’s an interesting article in today’s Voz de Galicia about a proposed new booking system for the hostels run by the Galician government.

I have used Google translate so there may be some inaccuracies. My comments are in italics.

“A spokesperson said that they were already expecting a large increase in numbers for 2021 due to the Holy Year. However, based on input from interested parties, a massive surge is now forecast as pent up demand carries forward to next year.

To manage this demand and allow pilgrims to plan better, pilgrims will be required to book online the day prior to arrival at each hostel. Each hostel webpage will have a floor plan showing bunks and pilgrims will select from available bunks. There will be dynamic pricing depending on demand (I think this refers to the system that airlines use) so that prices will vary day to day and even hour to hour. Lower bunks will be considered a premium product and will have a higher minimum start price than upper bunks.

To reflect the true cost of providing services to pilgrims, and to allow a fund to be built up for expansion of the hostel network, charges will be introduced in other areas. These will include taking a backpack into the room, for hiking pole and boot storage, pre-booked shower time slots and (my favourite) a charge for priority early departure. Usage of the hostel kitchens will be bookable in 30 minute slots, also with variable pricing.

Pilgrims should select their preferences at time of booking as these will be more costly if purchased later or in the hostel.

The spokesperson added that the Junta was pleased to announce that Senor Primo Aprillius, the former General Manager of Ryanair Espana, has been appointed to oversee these exciting new developments for the pilgrim community.

In a separate statement, Sr Aprillius, who has actually been in office since December 28th 2019, also expressed his concerns for 2021 about potential overcrowding from Sarria onwards and how this could affect negatively the Camino experience for everyone as well as being a potential health and safety issue. One possible solution was for timed group departure slots which would also be bookable online with prepayment and priced according to demand. He stressed that this was just an idea at this stage and welcomed comments. He further added that the hostel booking system was currently in the design stage by the Government IT experts and would be stress tested to ensure it was fool proof.

Santiago, 1st April 2020”
Sounds like the Ryanair playbook.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Forget Rick Astley...J C has already taken first place "quite a few" years ago. 📖

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 366 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock