• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hungarian Walk of Friendship & European Peace Walk (EPW)

OnCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013-2015)
Le Puy Route (2016-2019)
HWF (2019)
Gebennensis (2020)
A quick update from me as far as I am able to advise - it would be appreciated if someone with a better understanding could add details!

My wife and I recently completed the Hungarian Walk of Friendship, which runs from Sopron to Lenti in Hungary, criss-crossing the Hungary-Austria border. This route used to be part of the EPW until the EPW was re-routed (sometime in the last year, I think). I'm not sure where the EPW walk now begins - perhaps someone could advise?

With the EPW now missing out the Sopron to Lenti stretch, that section has now been re-branded by the accommodation providers and other interested parties as the HWF. It operates in the same way as the EPW, ie: with limited numbers and pre-arranged stops each night, and the organisers can be contacted via the HWF website or Facebook page.

It would be good if anyone with more info could add anything.

Just to say, we really enjoyed the walk. It is quite peaceful, rural and in a way remote, and pretty quiet - we were the only two on our schedule when we walked. We saw little to be concerned about in terms of personal safety, so don't be put off if you have concerns - give it a go!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sooooo jealous! Wanted to do the EPW this year but plans changed. Perhaps I need to consider the HPW prior to the EPW?

I know they adjust the route annually based on prior comments, so next year’s will likely be a bit different too.

I walked through Hungary and it is such a fantastic memory! Beautiful country, enchanting people and the food....oh.... 😎😎😎

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sooooo jealous! Wanted to do the EPW this year but plans changed. Perhaps I need to consider the HPW prior to the EPW?

I know they adjust the route annually based on prior comments, so next year’s will likely be a bit different too.

I think it would be worth considering at least- - it's a lovely walk, some long days but not too taxing, with a good dollop of iron curtain history, plenty of wildlife and some simple-but-great overnight stops.

Some other walkers that came after us went on to do the EPW afterwards. However, I'm not sure if the endpoint of the HWF, Lenti, is the actual start of the EPW.

Thanks Kiwi-family. As I suspected, this year the start seems to be in Lenti, with visits to Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna done beforehand and not included as part of the walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A quick update from me as far as I am able to advise - it would be appreciated if someone with a better understanding could add details!

My wife and I recently completed the Hungarian Walk of Friendship, which runs from Sopron to Lenti in Hungary, criss-crossing the Hungary-Austria border. This route used to be part of the EPW until the EPW was re-routed (sometime in the last year, I think). I'm not sure where the EPW walk now begins - perhaps someone could advise?

With the EPW now missing out the Sopron to Lenti stretch, that section has now been re-branded by the accommodation providers and other interested parties as the HWF. It operates in the same way as the EPW, ie: with limited numbers and pre-arranged stops each night, and the organisers can be contacted via the HWF website or Facebook page.

Just to say, we really enjoyed the walk. It is quite peaceful, rural and in a way remote, and pretty quiet - we were the only two on our schedule when we walked. We saw little to be concerned about in terms of personal safety, so don't be put off if you have concerns - give it a go!
Thanks for the information. I'd heard about this walk in Hungary but had trouble finding a lot of information without the correct name for it. It appears from their website that you can only do this walk if you do the walk on certain dates and organize it through this organization? How much prior to the walk do you have to register/apply? I'm thinking about next spring so hopeful that I don't have to register until early in the year?
Thanks in advance for any more information on this,

Thanks for the information. I'd heard about this walk in Hungary but had trouble finding a lot of information without the correct name for it. It appears from their website that you can only do this walk if you do the walk on certain dates and organize it through this organization? How much prior to the walk do you have to register/apply? I'm thinking about next spring so hopeful that I don't have to register until early in the year?
Thanks in advance for any more information on this,

Hi AllanHG

Yes, that's right - the walk departs on certain dates, determined by the organisation. This year there were two weeks of departure dates in May and two weeks in June. This allows the accommodation, which is picked to support the walk, to know when visitors are due - it's not like the busier Camino routes when every village has one or more places to stay on an ad hoc basis.

In terms of registering, we did so in about Feb for the May departures. To be honest, that was ample time this year, although may not be next year if everyone who has expressed an interest decides to go! :)

The website and Facebook pages are the places to check - following on FB seems like the simplest course of action so you'll know when registration for 2020 is open.

If you like or have done any quiet Camino walking, you should be fine with this one.

Cheers

OnCamino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We walked in 2017 and the path was poorly marked and in many places the path was over grown (waist high nettles). The in- route resources were few and far between and some of our "prebooked" accommodation hosts has no idea how many were in route for the day, and some hosts confused on which date we would arrive. They assumed all would take the "extra" days to Zagreb and Lake Bled. We started contacting accommodations after this happened on the overnight the day before Ljublljana. The cue sheet we were given and the the plot a route maps were different. The maps and cue sheet did not match up. We down loaded maps.me and used that app to navigate and at times finding our own way. The good is that there were some very nice hosts and they shared about their country and shared their food culture. Good idea..just wasn't followed through and the route needs better markings and could use some of the current way marked routes instead of trying to create ones.

...Good idea..just wasn't followed through and the route needs better markings and could use some of the current way marked routes instead of trying to create ones.
Completely agree. Last summer I walked two stages of Slovenian St.James Way (Slovenska Jakobova Pot) from Croatian border in direction of Ljubljana because the tutorial of the EPW was that you take a train/bus from Brežice to Ljubljana whereas there's absolutely no need for that.
And that same same person was three times EPW veteran and she couldn't believe that. I'm not really sure if the guy doing this (I believe he's Irish and living in Serbia now) is really up to it... Or maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing at all and what we need.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hallo to all walkers.
For infos on HWF and EPW the best place is facebook:
the hungarian walk of friendship and
European Peace Walk (EPWalkers) pages.
The HWF has still fixed dates:
Registration for walking
In 2020 you can choose to start your 7 day / 8 night walk on any date between 20 and 26 May 2020 or between 20 and 26 June 2020.
The EPW is open you just call the host and walk whenever is best for you.
HWF runs from Sopron to Lenti both in Hungary.
EPW goes from Lenti to Trieste (Italy) passing Croatia and Slovenia.
When you enter Slovenia (Brezice) according to the book you take a train and go to Lubiana and from there you start walking again.
More resources are on Wikiloc with plenty of tracks and maps. It is highly recommended to use some kind to navigation system and power bank so your phone doesn't finish the battery too soon.
If you are inclined to some adventures you can walk from Brezice to Lubiana like I did. On the EPW Facebook page there is an extensive discussion on this subject.
As long you call the hosts you can stop wherever you prefer and go and see places like Zagreb or Lake Bled or others.
I've done it twice and I recommended it for the countryside, the wildlife, the people, the food and the wine.
Buen Camino
Brandy

Last edited:
Hallo to all walkers.
For infos on HWF and EPW the best place is facebook:
the hungarian walk of friendship and
European Peace Walk (EPWalkers) pages.
The HWF has still fixed dates:
Registration for walking
In 2020 you can choose to start your 7 day / 8 night walk on any date between 20 and 26 May 2020 or between 20 and 26 June 2020.
The EPW is open you just call the host and walk whenever is best for you.
HWF runs from Sopron to Lenti both in Hungary.
EPW goes from Lenti to Trieste (Italy) passing Croatia and Slovenia.
When you enter Slovenia (Brezice) according to the book you take a train and go to Lubiana and from there you start walking again.
More resources are on Wikiloc with plenty of tracks and maps. It is highly recommended to use some kind to navigation system and power bank so your phone doesn't finish the battery too soon.
If you are inclined to some adventures you can walk from Brezice to Lubiana like I did. On the EPW Facebook page there is an extensive discussion on this subject.
As long you call the hosts you can stop wherever you prefer and go and see places like Zagreb or Lake Bled or others.
I've done it twice and I recommended it for the countryside, the wildlife, the people, the food and the wine.
Buen Camino
Brandy
Hi Brandy
I am from Australia and would like to do the HWF in April this year followed immediately after by the EPW. Can the HWF be walked outside of the specified booking dates? If so, how can I obtain detailed guide on the walk route? I can book my own accommodation?? Please reply asap as I need to start making travel bookings. Thanks.
Graham

Hy Graham
For this question and others you may have go to the relevant FB page. Organizers will respond.
Buen Camino
Brandy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We don't have FB but we we walked this route in 2017 (Sopron to Trieste) and my worries would be the trail markings. There were many places that lacked marking and the cue sheet and the maps that were made available did not match up. So Perhaps there is more up to date info on FB, but if not you may want to rethink your plans. There are other routes in Hungry and Slovenia. In 2017 there was a lot of mis-information on FB. If you decide to walk make sure you have something like maps.me and a compass. And carry a days worth of food and some extra snacks. Most of the people we had interactions with were warm and welcoming.

I’ve walked the EPW 6 times and the HWF once. I’m a slower walker and I love these walks for the reasons that others complain about .To me it’s a challenge (I’m 79) and I love the different cultures and the people I meet, both locals and hosts. You get back more than you give In my opinion. I’ve lost count of the amount of homes I’ve been invited into or the amount of wine and coffee I’ve drank in these homes( or drunk) might be a more appropriate word.
And yes The HWF finishes in Lenti and the EPW starts there.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back