• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hunto or Orisson

lorax

Time of past OR future Camino
I tried in 09, it went horribly. Gonna try again. Aug/Sept this year
Hi all....

I was just wondering about which of these two alberques would be the best one for my first night on the Camino. I KNOW I do not want to walk all the way to Roncevalles the first day.... plus I'd love to stay the night in the mountains.

Does anyone know how I can make a reservation (in English please, if that's possible) so that I know I won't have to sleep with the sheep?? I can't wait for this journey to finally begin... but sadly that's not until August.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Karla, The pilgrim office made a booking for me at Hunto the day I arrived in St Jean. It is a very large gite, and therfore I doubt that it will be any probelms to get a bed there. As for booking in English it is another matter entirely about Orisson - can't help on that one - (which is why I opted for Hunto). It is much smaller and had (in 2007) a bit of a repuation for being somewhat pernickety! Hunto wouldn't have won a prize as the best gite we stayed in, but there was hot water for a shower after a hard days walking and a bed - which is all we required. It also provides dinner and breakfast. Cheers, Janet

If you are starting from SJPP in the morning then Orisson is the better bet I suggest that you contact them via e-mail as they may not respond to messages via their website http://www.refuge-orisson.com/ their e-mail addresses are Jean-jacques.etchandy@wanadoo.fr and refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Hunto (Untto) makes more sense if you start from SJPP later in the day, for instance if you have taken a train into SJ that morning and want to make a start to your journey rather than stay in town all day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Karla,
I just use a combination of "Google Translate" and English, I find most places will respond kindly to that.
Col

I was on the receiving end of Orisson's persnicketyness in 2007. I had made my reservation well in advance & had received an email confirmation. When the folks at L'Espirit called them for me, however, whoever answered the phone YELLED back at them. So loud that I could hear her speak. According to this person I had no reservation, they didn't know who I was, etc. Unfortunately for me, I had left the confirmation email at home (lesson learned), so I shrugged & decided to go the Valcarlos route. A day or so later, I met up with a man who showed up at Orisson & was given a tent to sleep in because they were out of room. They didn't give him a discount either & it stormed wildly that night.

So I'm very interested in hearing about this "tent" albergue that is beyond Orisson. :)

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

As told before I slept in Orisson last autumn.
The refuge fills quickly at summertime
So Jean-Jaques has put up some tents for the overflow.
I can't recall the prices, but I've been told that the tents are cheaper than the bunk-beds.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I made my booking at Orisson in French but somehow they detected that I was English :) so they replied in very good English. They have asked that I confirm the day before. They sounded business like. let's hope it all goes well. My first attempt at booking through their reservation link on their web site didn't work but I had no trouble once I used their email address that I picked from the discussion on the forum.

Hunto is only about 4km from St Jean while Orisson is more like 10km. Going to Orisson will make the trip to Roncesvalles easier the second day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all...

Thanks for all the info.... I know Hunto is only a little ways.. but it is all uphill....I want to stay at one of them, and I'd like to stay at the one with the best views and nicest to stay at.... which one would you choose for that? I love the mountains, so maybe I'll stay at both. Has anyone done that? I have 80 days in which to walk to Santiago and Finnesterre. And I'm old... did I mention that?? grin

I have one other question.... what if you make a reservation at Hunto or Orisson and then the weather is bad and you have to take the Valcarlos route? Can they notify them from SJPP?? Would I still be charged?

Sorry... I know I'm anal about alot of this... but I just like to be a little prepared.

lorax said:
... what if you make a reservation at Hunto or Orisson and then the weather is bad and you have to take the Valcarlos route? Can they notify them from SJPP?? Would I still be charged? ...
I think you'll find Orisson might charge you half upfront (Paypal) to confirm, that's how it worked with me.
Col

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Karla,
I first approached Orisson from Spain and recall the views being better here than lower down. Perhaps others could comment.

Buen Camino

Brian.

Hi Karla,

If you're looking for a fantastic view then Orisson is where you want to stay. When I arrived, there were two very attractive young ladies from Switzerland whom I joined for a beer. We talked about the Camino a bit, but both of them kept commenting on the fantastic view and location. Several minutes later, one of the girls got up and went inside. When she returned she said, "I asked the owner if they ever had marriage ceremonies here and he said, of course."

So, if it's good enough for a wedding...must be one heck of a view!

Buen with this ring Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back