• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Huntto/Orisson

thruhiker

If the weather looks good I should be in position to head out of St, Jean on March 26. Can someone confirm that Orisson will not be open at that time. I sent an email to the owner but have not heard a thing. I been thinking of staying a night in Bayonne, take the train in the morning to St. Jean, and maybe hike up to Huntto which I understand isn't too far away. Looks like the only stage you have to do a little planning is the first one so I am trying to check out the options. If I go this way it looks like I will have to pick up some snacks/candy bars in St. Jean since I assume there isn't much to buy in Huntto. When I fly into France I am not planning to take any food and will resupply in St. Jean.

Also it looks like there are no resupply options in Roncesvalles but there are towns a short way down the road. I have been checking the weather in St. Jean which has been good for hiking but who knows what it going to be like when I get there.

Last question is the ground snow covered at the top?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there,
I'm in almost exactly the same position as you. Me & my friend will be arriving in St. Jean on Monday, March 26th. I emailed Orisson to ask if they had availability however I received a reply from the owner who said he didn't know if he'd be open & it depended on the weather & I should phone him the day before.
I was thinking that if I arrive in St. Jean at a reasonable time I might start off straight away & head up to Huntto (assuming it's open) as it's only 5km away and shouldn't take too long to get to. It'll also make the next day's hike to Roncesvalles that bit shorter.
I've no idea about the snow but the weather for next week doesn't look too bad so hopefully I'll be able to get some idea of the weather for when I arrive later this week. I'd check with the Pilgrim's office in St. Jean first though.
May well catch up with you somewhere along the way.
Have a good one.
Regards,
Dave

geordie63 said:
Hi there,
I'm in almost exactly the same position as you. Me & my friend will be arriving in St. Jean on Monday, March 26th. I emailed Orisson to ask if they had availability however I received a reply from the owner who said he didn't know if he'd be open & it depended on the weather & I should phone him the day before.
I was thinking that if I arrive in St. Jean at a reasonable time I might start off straight away & head up to Huntto (assuming it's open) as it's only 5km away and shouldn't take too long to get to. It'll also make the next day's hike to Roncesvalles that bit shorter.
I've no idea about the snow but the weather for next week doesn't look too bad so hopefully I'll be able to get some idea of the weather for when I arrive later this week. I'd check with the Pilgrim's office in St. Jean first though.
May well catch up with you somewhere along the way.
Have a good one.
Regards,
Dave

Dave I get into the area late Sunday but I am going to take a zero or near zero day in St. Jean before starting up the mountain. But resting up and hiking up after a mid-day lunch in town to Huntto is sort of the way I leaning now. Looks like I may meet up with your party.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ok well after a short enough flight from Dublin I've a taxi booked from the airport to take me to St. Jean. Should get there about 5pm. After a visit to the pilgrim's office I think I might start walking upto Huntto straight away. A 5km walk to Huntto followed by a night's rest & then 20km to Roncesvalles the following day seems preferable to 25km of mountains in one day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
geordie63 said:
Ok well after a short enough flight from Dublin I've a taxi booked from the airport to take me to St. Jean. Should get there about 5pm. After a visit to the pilgrim's office I think I might start walking upto Huntto straight away. A 5km walk to Huntto followed by a night's rest & then 20km to Roncesvalles the following day seems preferable to 25km of mountains in one day.

I hope to see you along the way.

Lol. Definitely not a lady to mess with by the sounds of it. I'm English but have lived here in The Emerald Isle for many years now so I'm used to the Irish humour. All good fun.
Hopefully catch up with you in Huntto in a couple of weeks or somewhere along the way.
Best wishes,
Dave

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back