• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Hurricane Dorian

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pleased to hear Puerto Rico has been spared but thoughts go out to our friends in Florida and Georgia especially @t2andreo - I hope you all come through the weekend safely.

Thanks a lot, Jeff.

Here in South Florida, preparing for a sure direct hit. Just hoping is not a repeat of Andrew back in 1992. Only that back then was a dry hurricane with high winds and Dorian seems to be packed with lots of rain and winds.

My the Lord keep an eye on us and helps to ride this one the best we can.

Blessings and be safe all that may be on Dorian’s path.

We are planning on getting hit. However, it is way too early where on the east coast of Florida Hurricane Dorian will make landfall. So, we prepare...

Fortunately, when we renovated our home three-years ago, we replaced the original, single pane, untempered, glass windows with ballistic "storm rated" glass. This is a Florida or hurricane zone thing.

This specialized glass is essentially thinner bulletproof glass. It is laminated, insulated, tinted to resist UV rays, and will stop projectiles thrown by the wind. In a serious impact, it behaves like a car windshield...no shards to injure people or critters...just a monster crack... So, now we do not need to use metal hurricane shutters or waste plywood sheets... PLUS, we can sit inside and actually watch what is going on. One cannot do that with metal storm shutters or plywood screwed onto the window frames.

Other than that, all routine preparations are made and all household stuff is sorted... Our biggest concern is losing electricity, as that takes out air conditioning and refrigeration. it will all work out...

Funny thing, when we lived up north, we went through a similar drill getting ready for a major snowfall. I suppose it is relative.

Having been a pilgrim for some seven years, I am a lot more sanguine about this entire thing.

Will provide a SOL (sign of life) report on the other side of the storm, whenever that is.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back