• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Husband wants to come with me!

SkyDancer

Camino dreaming
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2021, Portuguese Central 2022,
CF 2023? :)
Hello fellow Camino addicts, :)

I walked the Francés last year and was planning to walk the Camino Portuguese this July when out of the blue husband declares he wants to come with me! I was quite surprised as the man doesn't like walking! I told him that he'd hate it as I like to leave at dawn and walk 5-6 hours a day, every day. He said that he needs to lose some weight so no problem, he can do it. Argh...
Anyway, after the total shock wore off, I did a lot of soul searching and have reconciled with it and thought best to take him on the Frances where I am a bit familiar with the route, food and language and there are more facilities available.
We will only have ten days to walk perhaps 120km?, what do you think would be the easiest and most interesting part of the Frances for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am worried though that he will hate it and the whole thing will collapse. (he's kinda stubborn and lazy but I love him to bits...) 😆

Thanks!
Patricia

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Frances is a good idea.

Option 1: If you start at at SJPP you end in Logrono, the capital of Rioja. He also get to lose weight going over the Pyrenees.

Option 2: Start at Sarria and finish at SdC. A Sarria start means there will be lots of other pilgrims who he can talk to, tag along with, and the chance of a Compostela if he gets 2 stamps per day.

The Frances also means there will be the option of having packs being carried until he gets in "shape".

We also walk the Camino a different way. My husband is a late riser, slow about everything, wants to stop and take a photo of everything, talks to everyone he meets.

I want to be out the door at dawn, walk quickly with my head deep in thought, don't take photos, and although I am friendly, I don't take up a conversation with everyone. I am on a mission and he is on a journey.

When together, he tries to stick with me, but our differences do lead to conflict. Expect that you will have differences. If he is going just to be with you, then compromise will need to be made. If he is going on his own desire to walk the Camino, maybe let that happen for him.

When by himself, Phil walks a different Camino. Together we are a great hospitalero team, but when walking we on different paths.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I walked the Frances last year and was planning to walk the Camino Portuguese this July when out of the blue husband declares he wants to come with me! I was quite surprised as the man doesn't like walking! I told him that he'd hate it as I like to leave at dawn and walk 5-6 hours a day, every day. He said that he needs to lose some weight so no problem, he can do it. Argh...
Anyway, after the total shock wore off, I did a lot of soul searching and have reconciled with it and thought best to take him on the Frances where I am a bit familiar with the route, food and language and there are more facilities available.
We will only have ten days to walk perhaps 120km?, what do you think would be the easiest and most interesting part of the Frances for him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am worried though that he will hate it and the whole thing will collapse. (he's kinda stubborn and lazy but I love him to bits...) 😆

Thanks!
Patricia

If your husband needs to lose 'some weight', the advice is to do this before a camino (or any other long hike) to spare knees, hips, ankles and feet.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Begin walking together now! I’ve walked 2 parts of the francés alone and my husband wanted to accompany me on the portugués coastal. When I read something by someone saying the camino should be shared, it gave me a new insight. It’s a different camino- we have been in every fruit stand and bakery and I am 100% enjoying it! Today is day 8, in redondela after a very wet day, enjoying it all thoroughly. I wish the same for you! Ps Astorga to Santiago is a great leg on the Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m with you. I tried to walk the Camino in 2018 but had to cancel three weeks out.

Fast forward to 2022 and my husband is here with me in Logroño where we just finished a nice menu del dia after a short walk from Viana.

It’s hard. He’s a cranky hiker, especially in the first and last hours. He gets up late. We are lucky to be underway by 8:30. He wants to stop for EVERYTHING.

BUT he forces me to slow down and experience the Camino, not just do it. He finds the best places to stay so I’m not worried about how long we take. He makes me drink enough, and do warm up exercises. He encourages me on the climbs, and cracks dad jokes all day.

He’s loving the scenery and the cities and the cuisine, the pace of life after we stop for the day.

We have a Plan B if he hates it or just isn’t feeling it one day, and a Plan C if he REALLY hates it. So far so good.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Unfortunately had to cancel last year’s plans due to husband’s ill health, but the compromise was that I walked the Portugues solo, would meet him in Santiago then both go to Ferrol to walk the Ingles, with me slowing down. He’s now decided that it’ll be too much, so this year’s plan is two weeks on the CF with my 15 year old grandson and then in September, back to plan A and a solo Portugués coastal. Flexibility is the name of the game. Can’t wait.

I walked the Frances last year and was planning to walk the Camino Portuguese this July when out of the blue husband declares he wants to come with me! I was quite surprised as the man doesn't like walking! I told him that he'd hate it as I like to leave at dawn and walk 5-6 hours a day, every day. He said that he needs to lose some weight so no problem, he can do it. Argh...

Thanks!
Patricia
Pamplona to Burgos - the most fun you can have in 10 days with your clothes on. There are no horribly long stages and the profiles are lumpy rather than hugely physically demanding and every rock ouzes history. The landscape changes as you leave Navarre and pass through La Rioja into Castilla-Leon. All in all perfect for your requirements I think. Enjoy. I would love to have my wife share a Camino with me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pamplona to Burgos - the most fun you can have in 10 days with your clothes on. There are no horribly long stages and the profiles are lumpy rather than hugely physically demanding and every rock ouzes history. The landscape changes as you leave Navarre and pass through La Rioja into Castilla-Leon. All in all perfect for your requirements I think. Enjoy. I would love to have my wife share a Camino with me.

Good for you @SkyDancer and your husband. I hope it will be a wonderful shared experience. 🙏

I agree with @Robi Diaz De Vivar A few years ago two friends asked me which section of the Frances I would recommend for around 10 days as that was all they had available at the time. I asked ‘is it important for you to walk into Santiago de C on this camino? They said, no it wasn’t. So, my answer was Pamplona to Burgos - with wonderful and varied scenery and so many interesting and ‘photogenic’ towns and villages in between.

Hope you both have a wonderful time. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Patricia… I walked the CF in 2019 and 3/4ths of the Salvador in 2021 alone. My wife always said she wanted to do the CF. She always had a reason why not… In February 2022, she said let’s do part of the Camino in May. So on May 1st we flew to Pamplona. Rested and did some sight seeing. Walked from Pamplona to Logrono. Compromises.. we shipped her bag daily. We kept the distance to no more than 23k. We stayed in private rooms. From Logono we took a train to Leon for a few days, on to Oviedo by bus for a couple of days and now out by the airport in San Esteban de Pravia (on the ocean). She has absolutely loved every part of it. I mixed it up so she would get the Camino bug and the Spain bug. I believe she has as she wants to do 10-12 days of the Primitivo next. At 70 years old and married 47 years, finding things to do in common is very special and never gets old. One only has to compromise and show some love. Good luck with your choices and let us know how it turns out. Buen Camino!

Thanks!
Patricia
Take him to the Meseta that way he'll never want to go with you again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good friends had a similar experience a few years ago. Wife is an early riser, packs light, walks fast and isn't much for conversation with others. Hubby is a late starter, a "just in case" packer, walks slower, takes a lot of coffee breaks and knows no strangers. They agreed at the outset in Leon that they would walk separately and meet up at an agreed upon spot every evening. They both loved the experience and arrived in Santiago exactly two weeks later. We now call it "walking the Camino together but separately".
Buen Camino and Bonne Chance

Good for you @SkyDancer and your husband. I hope it will be a wonderful shared experience. 🙏
SkyDancer - interesting question!
I wonder whether the CF, given you have already walked it, is optimal here? That kind of puts you in the driving seat and gives husband a secondary role - but of course that may be your cunning plan!
But it might be more fun to both be going somewhere completely new, and working it out together without either of you having prior knowledge? Are you sure 10 days to go 120Km isn't underestimating his capabilities?
I'd either stick with the Portugues or, given how busy it's proving this year, go for the Vasco from Irun, finishing up in Sto Domingo on the CF (or as near as you can get).

In 2019 I planned on doing the Portuguese with my sister and niece, a girls trip. Then last minute my brother-in-law decided to join in. I knew he would hate it, warned my sister but she thought he’d be fine. Well, I was right, he was miserable and brought the rest of us down too. I suggest doing some overnight hikes if possible, try to recreate as much of the Camino as possible and share as much of the good, the bad and the ugly before leaving.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks!
Patricia
I will pray for you!! Why not start at SJPP?
Buen Camino and Good luck!!

SkyDancer - interesting question!
I wonder whether the CF, given you have already walked it, is optimal here? That kind of puts you in the driving seat and gives husband a secondary role - but of course that may be your cunning plan!
But it might be more fun to both be going somewhere completely new, and working it out together without either of you having prior knowledge? Are you sure 10 days to go 120Km isn't underestimating his capabilities?
I'd either stick with the Portugues or, given how busy it's proving this year, go for the Vasco from Irun, finishing up in Sto Domingo on the CF (or as near as you can get).
I’m usually in the driving seat. When it comes to making plans anyway. He’s from Tibet and doesn’t read English (or Spanish!) very well at the moment.
I’ll check out the Vasco, thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m with you. I tried to walk the Camino in 2018 but had to cancel three weeks out.

Fast forward to 2022 and my husband is here with me in Logroño where we just finished a nice menu del dia after a short walk from Viana.

It’s hard. He’s a cranky hiker, especially in the first and last hours. He gets up late. We are lucky to be underway by 8:30. He wants to stop for EVERYTHING.

BUT he forces me to slow down and experience the Camino, not just do it. He finds the best places to stay so I’m not worried about how long we take. He makes me drink enough, and do warm up exercises. He encourages me on the climbs, and cracks dad jokes all day.

He’s loving the scenery and the cities and the cuisine, the pace of life after we stop for the day.

We have a Plan B if he hates it or just isn’t feeling it one day, and a Plan C if he REALLY hates it. So far so good.
Oh thanks, will discuss plan B & C options with him. Already discussed walking separately sometimes and he’s agreed with that thank goodness. 😊

Although I / we have walked the quieter routes for many years now, I don’t think a route such as the Vasco would give your husband an idea of thé Camino as you have experienced it. You have walked the Frances and were thinking of the Portuguese - the two most popular routes - for good reasons. The Vasco would be an entirely different experience - you could well see no one - or very few - during your time on The Way. It may not be what you - or he - are hoping for. 🙏

PS. Dear @SkyDancer Maybe I’m against the tide here - I’ve often seen on forum threads people being ‘warned’ about the perils of walking with a spouse or friend. But the way I look at it, your loved one has expressed an interest in accompanying you in doing something that you loved the first time around. How wonderful.

Sure it won’t be ‘the same’ - I have walked the same path alone, with a friend, with my husband. No two Caminos are the same whether you walk alone or with someone. But it will be something new for you and for him. And so what if you are in the driver’s seat in some respects. Many couples / friends are in the same position - when sharing an adventure where one has more experience than the other.

I would see this as an opportunity to share something wonderful with your loved one. And perhaps learn something new about the other. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did a lot of soul searching and have reconciled with it
Good!
And have you really?
The tone of your query suggests maybe not completely. No judgement, but far better to know if that's what is under the surface than not. Then you know what you're working through at a heart level.

If you want your camino, you'll struggle.
If you want our camino, there will be letting go, and a whole lot more joy. But sometimes that's not easy.

I would only agree to walk with my husband if I could also have a solo Camino in the same year. Then I could do "my" Camino as I like, and the other Camino would be for him.

But it's really a moot point, as my husband has never expressed any desire to do more than a very short day hike.

I would only agree to walk with my husband if I could also have a solo Camino in the same year. Then I could do "my" Camino as I like, and the other Camino would be for him.

But it's really a moot point, as my husband has never expressed any desire to do more than a very short day hike.
Hmmm… that is interesting!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked Portuguese from Lisbon with a friend. I discovered that they expected us to walk and hang out together for the whole time. I thought we would walk our own Caminos and meet up at our agreed stopping places. They could walk 25 k per day. I could only manage 20 k per day. I was happy to rough it a bit to save money. They wanted to stay in the best places. Needless to say it was a challenges. But you really not your husbands keeper. He will have his Camino and you will have yours. PS Pamplona to Burgos was one of my favourite stages.

I walked the Francés last year and was planning to walk the Camino Portuguese this July when out of the blue husband declares he wants to come with me! I was quite surprised as the man doesn't like walking! I told him that he'd hate it as I like to leave at dawn and walk 5-6 hours a day, every day. He said that he needs to lose some weight so no problem, he can do it. Argh...

Thanks!
Patricia
My wife has medical issues but the she knew the Camino from her upbringing in Puerto Rico. I did the Fances as her Dr. wouldn't allow her. Her Dr. gave permission to do the Sarria to Santiago. I thought this was one of the most beautiful stretches so I took her on a Slow Camino walking about 1/2 the normal distance. It was late Sept. early Oct. and she thought it was the best trip of her life. This is my experience and I thought it might help you.
Buen Camino.
Casario

My wife has medical issues but the she knew the Camino from her upbringing in Puerto Rico. I did the Fances as her Dr. wouldn't allow her. Her Dr. gave permission to do the Sarria to Santiago. I thought this was one of the most beautiful stretches so I took her on a Slow Camino walking about 1/2 the normal distance. It was late Sept. early Oct. and she thought it was the best trip of her life. This is my experience and I thought it might help you.
Buen Camino.
Casario
Correction- we walked 1/2 the normal distance each day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks!
Patricia
I persuaded my husband to come on Camino in 2019, and he is now really looking forward to the next one, but I did feel like a tour guide sometimes - I'm used to just winging it, and he's a planner. I've only agreed to go with him again if he takes some responsibility for himself.

As he doesn't like walking, can you take your husband on a 20km hike first and see how that goes. You've done it before, you know it comes with sore feet, sore legs, hand washed clothes, and tiredness.
And explain to him, thats what you'll be doing every day.

(My opinion only, but walking a Camino because you want to lose weight is maybe not the best reason.)

A great thread to read through, thanks everyone! I'm starting my first Camino next month, and my solo Camino plans changed when my 10 year old daughter was invited, she is so excited and ready and said yes in an instant. But my walking approach has changed, more time for play and exploring (we're walking the Norte), less daily kms. Then my husband and 12 year old son decided to join us too, so that was another shift. I got a lot out of listening to podcasts about families walking together. 'The Camino Podcast' hosted by Dave Whitson, Episode 14 is 'Walking with Family' - great to listen how people walk together. Dave gives a list of questions at the end, to ask together before walking, I think the clearer our expectations are beforehand the better. With my family, we understand that if someone needs to bus forward for whatever reason, they will be supported in that.

I hope you have an incredible time. My husband and son were on the fence about whether to join us for ages, but I can't imagine the experience now without them.

Thanks!
Patricia
I like the idea of starting in Leon. You start with some gentle days to warm up and then can possibly make Santiago. You get a nice flavor of this Camino. Starting in SJPdP might be a bit challenging for someone a bit out of condition.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Portuguese from Lisbon with a friend. I discovered that they expected us to walk and hang out together for the whole time. I thought we would walk our own Caminos and meet up at our agreed stopping places. They could walk 25 k per day. I could only manage 20 k per day. I was happy to rough it a bit to save money. They wanted to stay in the best places. Needless to say it was a challenges. But you really not your husbands keeper. He will have his Camino and you will have yours. PS Pamplona to Burgos was one of my favourite stages.
I always encourage people who are walking with a friend, partner, or group to set the ground rules and expectations well before they get on the plane.

A great thread to read through, thanks everyone! I'm starting my first Camino next month, and my solo Camino plans changed when my 10 year old daughter was invited, she is so excited and ready and said yes in an instant. But my walking approach has changed, more time for play and exploring (we're walking the Norte), less daily kms. Then my husband and 12 year old son decided to join us too, so that was another shift. I got a lot out of listening to podcasts about families walking together. 'The Camino Podcast' hosted by Dave Whitson, Episode 14 is 'Walking with Family' - great to listen how people walk together. Dave gives a list of questions at the end, to ask together before walking, I think the clearer our expectations are beforehand the better. With my family, we understand that if someone needs to bus forward for whatever reason, they will be supported in that.

I hope you have an incredible time. My husband and son were on the fence about whether to join us for ages, but I can't imagine the experience now without them.
There may be some challenges, crying and complaining, but in the end, I can almost guarantee that you are giving your children a priceless gift that will powerfully influence their lives. This is a good age to do this with them. Buen Camino.

€46,-
Same here as my hubby has no desire beyond a short day hike. My first Camino I pestered him to come and was disappointed I could not convince him. After all, who wouldn't want to go on a Camino after seeing "The Way"?😂 Anyway, I discovered I enjoyed some time by myself as in retirement it was/is a rarity. He joined me in Santiago one year and we walked two days together between Muxia and Finesterre, but he never "caught the bug" although he loves biking...E-biking.

Thank-you everyone for all your wonderful advice, very kind.
I discussed the options with husband and he would like to do the last 100km. I warned him that it will be hot and busy in July but he seems ok with that.
I found an itinerary for someone’s 82 year old mother that might work for him. 😄

211964FC-6257-49E2-8EF6-E485AC3BAACC.png

What do you think? Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

🤗

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Recommend Salceda. There is a very nice albergue with private rooms and a good restaurant. It’s a little distance, about 500 km off the Camino.

Albergue-Hotel Rural Salceda​

Here is their Spanish Web.
Happy planning and Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That’s good news @SkyDancer - That you and your loved one have worked out a plan to suit. As for the walking - well, he may surprise himself and you! Hope it will be a great shared experience. 😎

Perhaps it’s just him telling you that he loves you and wants to be with you? Walk the last 100 from Sarria. Easy walking, lots of places to stop and cherish the time together. What more could one ask for?
Agree. Just don't start from Sarria on a Saturday or Sunday!

Thanks!
Patricia
Start from Astorga. He'll love the last third of the Camino Frances. You can walk to Santiago in 10 days easily (if he's in even moderate shape) from there. That was my first Camino and it still brings back the fondest memories!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks!
Patricia
My husband and I just finished a Camiño Portugues central route from Porto to Fisterra-Full of hills and fabulous food; hence, we didn’t lose weight- we gained weight!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2017 I met a woman that was walking with her 20 year old son. She got up early before it got hot and he slept until they ran him out the door. They knew in advance where they were going to stop each night and met there. It seemed to work for them.

Thanks!
Patricia
I love the Meseta Huge vistas easy walking. Burgos to Leon. Great cities at each end.

Thanks!
Patricia
If you want to cure him of his Panglossian optimism, take him on the Meseta in July. :)

While I absolutely love all sections of the Camino Frances (minus the industrial areas), a standout burned in my memory are the sections from Foncebadon all the way to Molineseca...so much beauty to behold in the Spring.
Screenshot_20220521-104645~2.png

EDIT- These particular photos are on my way to El Acebo.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have done both. I recommend that you start in Porto and meet your husband in Valenca five days later. You get to do a Camino that is significant in length and enjoy the wonderful people in Portgual. (They really are wonderful!) He gets a slow, comfortable walk and be eligible for a Compostela. Did this with my wife and it worked well.

Thanks!
Patricia
Good for him. I wish him the best.

While I absolutely love all sections of the Camino Frances (minus the industrial areas), a standout burned in my memory are the sections from Foncebadon all the way to Molineseca...so much beauty to behold in the Spring.
View attachment 125965

EDIT- These particular photos are on my way to El Acebo.
I have to admit that is one section I would take a taxi if I was running out of time. My least favourite.

Thanks!
Patricia
Tui to Santiago

I found an itinerary for someone’s 82 year old mother that might work for him. 😄

Unless he's the most incredibly laid-back guy ever, I think that if he knows you are telling everyone online about this very mild plan designed for someone's 82 year old mother, he might be up for a practice walk or two.
And this plan might not work at all if he thinks you are going to tell everyone you meet along the way the same for why you are walking 'half' stages..
But I admit the subtleties of metropolitan Canadian humour have often passed me by.
And I may be showing just a tiny bit of brotherly male defensiveness here :cool:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unless he's the most incredibly laid-back guy ever, I think that if he knows you are telling everyone online about this very mild plan designed for someone's 82 year old mother, he might be up for a practice walk or two.
And this plan might not work at all if he thinks you are going to tell everyone you meet along the way the same for why you are walking 'half' stages..
But I admit the subtleties of metropolitan Canadian humour have often passed me by.
And I may be showing just a tiny bit of brotherly male defensiveness here :cool:

Exactly @peregrino_tom ! I for one would not feel very pleased when my partner would use a public forum to write down all these details. But yup, I'm quite reserved when it comes to these kind of issues.

And the husband of the OP might be a natural walker and will surprise everyone.

Never forget that even the well trained pilgrim can get injured or slowed down by some things.

He’s VERY laid back. Tibetans are quite relaxed and have a terrific sence of humour. He knows I’m talking about him and finds it amusing.
Oh…forgot to tell him about the 82 year old comparison, he’ll get a kick out of that. Thanks for the reminder. 😄

If your husband needs to lose 'some weight', the advice is to do this before a camino (or any other long hike) to spare knees, hips, ankles and feet.
Agree 100%
I’ve walked 2 Caminos, also hoping to lose weight…and did NOT! Somehow, between building muscle and replacing calories burned with delicious local foods🤷🏼‍♀️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you stretch it a few days you can start in Leon and walk about 220 KMs into Santiago.

I was going to do this with my fiance but her passport will be delayed too long due to our slow government.
It’s 308 kms from Leon to Santiago.

Hi Patricia,
The Portuguese Camino is wonderful. It will be a very different experience for you than the last one. One thing that will make a bit of a difference is that fellow Pilgrims will treat you a little differently than if you are solo. Not better or worse...just different. I went solo on my first two Caminos and took my wife on the third one. Also, if you have only 10 days, you don't have to start in Tui. I did Porto to Santiago in 12 days. You could consider starting a little north of Porto and still get to Santiago in 10 days. Perhaps Barcelos or Ponte de Lima. Both really beautiful cities and easy to get to by bus from Porto or even Santiago.

€46,-
Hi there
i walked solo last year from Sarria to
Santiago and just fell in love with it.
my husband gave in and came with me this year and we walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Najerra.this was 8 days of walking. He loved it and is now a total convert and now he can’t stop talking about it.
we’re heading back next May to complete and one of our daughters is joining us.
as you know it’s a magical experience that you only get to understand when you walk.

Well, we made it! Arrived last night in Porto, I caught a cold on the plane but had my first Nata just now. Yum! 😋
Will take train to Valença tomorrow and start walking the next morning. So happy to be back! 😄
I can’t wait to read about your experience! My husband and I finished sjpdp to SdC 4 weeks ago and I have decided I need to do a solo Camino (hubs solo’s his first sjpdp-SdC Camino in 2018). I think I’m going to walk the Portuguese central from Porto next May.

I haven’t read all the threads so I may be repeating someone else’s suggestion. My suggestion is to explain the options and landscapes to your husband and have him take some ownership of where you will walk fogether.

Whether you stay together while walking depends Upon on both.

€149,-
Thank-you everyone for all your wonderful advice, very kind.
I discussed the options with husband and he would like to do the last 100km. I warned him that it will be hot and busy in July but he seems ok with that.

View attachment 125765

🤗
This looks like a great idea. But do remember that July will be a hell-busy month as well as hot. You probably will need to book accommodation in advance. And you'll be walking with half the population of Spain!!! It's not my preference to walk with such a crowd obviously, but I'm sure it has it's up sides. I guess it depends on what sort of camino you're after. Booking accommo in advance takes away that spontaneous pilgrim-ish feel too but I understand a lot of people feel more comfortable with this. And will you stay in Albergues? Albergues often provide the most authentic 'pilgrim' feel. My view only again though, before I get a barrage of comments about it being each individual's camino. Which it is of course.

And you'll be walking with half the population of Spain!!!
It hasn’t been too busy so far. I thought August was the month the Spaniards took off? July wasn’t by choice. I’m attending a retreat in a Monastery in Toulouse in August so thought I’d do this first’on the way’. We’re alternating staying in albergues one night and private rooms the next, is working out nicely. I really enjoy booking rooms, part of the fun for me. 😄

Last edited:

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back