• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hydration pack size

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
I'm debating between a 2 or a 3 liter hydration pack. How often can one refill one's water supply? On a hot day, it seems I drink about 1 liter/hour.
Susan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most folks use bottles instead of bladders. The length of the Camino means you have real concerns for bacterial growth in the bladder, and having to refill a bladder throughout the day is a lot less convenient than refilling bottles that you can simply hand over the counter to a bartender. On most routes and stages, you have the option to refill multiple times each day, so total capacity is rarely an issue. Moreover, most bladders add an extra half pound of unnecessary weight.

Yes they don't recommend bladder because the bacterial growth , it would be difficult to was bladder on the Camino every single day .
I have a bladder for Mtb and I use it also on mountain trekking , but no for Camino de Santiago !
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1 litre per hour seems a lot, even in (very hot) temperatures

My maximum liquid intake rate is more like 1 litre per 2 hours - but this can mean carrying 4 litres of liquid if there is no chance to resupply during the day (I walk on the Norte where supermarkets can be closed at lunchtime and Sundays and water fountains are less frequent) - I would carry this in 2 x 1.5L plastic bottles inside my pack and 2 x 0.5L plastic bottles in the pockets of my pack - on the Camino Frances, my recollection is that water sources are more frequent and, as a last resort, you can always get water from bars

Another reason for not using a bladder/tube is that I stop say every 30 minutes or so to drink from the bottles - this also gives me a chance to check my feet every so often - also I think you tend to drink more when using a bladder as it's always available

Last edited:
Another vote for using PET bottles, also if you really drink 1l/hour make sure to have a good salt intake if not you will lose the water quickly again plus lose minerals which can lead to cramps and worse. Buen Camino, SY

As much as I like my Camelbak bladder for local day hikes I found it to be a pain in the whatever on my first camino. This time I switched over to two .5L water bottles from the Supermarcado in Burgos. I had a choice of pretty cut crystal looking ones so that's what I went for!!! Made for much happier water sipping and they weighed a lot less that the bladder/hose/etc kit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
See I actually liked my bladder. I only filled it with 1 to 1 1/2 liter of water to sip while walking. I find the sipping from the bladder while walking just easier then bottles. I clean mine every evening. Just a 2 min job to rinse out very well. Never had an issue. I do buy bottled water to fill it with (just 1 or 2 Euro's a day) . I'm sure the water from most fountains is fine.....just a personal preference. And I just drank something whenever we walked through a town. 1 can of Aquarius or a glass of OJ, or a small bottle of water.

Last edited:
Using a bottle or bladder is a personal preference.

I prefer to be able to sip water on the go, drinking water more frequently than if I had to pull a water bottle out. Also don't like to be concerned about filtration if refilling along the route.

Place the filled water in the fridge overnight and enjoy some chilled water for the day.

I also clean the system daily to prevent any bacteria build up in the tube and mouthpiece.

I would take a 3L bladder.

If i am bothered by all the things that could harm me, i would not take a shower or sleep in several of those alberques. Or even eat in some of the places...

I am currently carrying about 2li of water at the start of day each in a combination of a bladder and 500ml bottle. This approach ensures that should I empty the bladder, I can transfer the remaining 1/2 li into the bladder and make sure I refill at the next bar or font.

So far, I have only reached that point once, perhaps because I have been walking much shorter distances each day than I have in the past.

I wince when I see some of the excuses used to justify not using a bladder, many repeated in this thread. I haven't seen a bladder on the market recently that hasn't had an anti-bacterial treatment, and with a rinse every day or so you will be fine, and give the bladder a thorough clean every so often with a cleaning tablet. Do that daily if you are paranoid. It takes deliberate and sustained abuse to get a problem.

The chioce is yours. Bladders vs bottles is about personal preference as much as anything else.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Keep in mind that water weighs 2.2 pounds per liter.
2 liters = 4.4 pounds
3 liters = 6.6 pounds. :eek:

Lots of worry and talk about reducing weight...carrying extra water after cutting your toothbrush handle off and drilling holes in it seems to be strange planning.

There is water available almost every 5 km every day. Why carry 5 extra pounds?
You can carry more on those very few days when it may not be available at short distance. :cool:

Keep in mind that water weighs 2.2 pounds per liter.
2 liters = 4.4 pounds
3 liters = 6.6 pounds. :eek:

Lots of worry and talk about reducing weight...carrying extra water after cutting your toothbrush handle off and drilling holes in it seems to be strange planning.

There is water available almost every 5 km every day. Why carry 5 extra pounds?
You can carry more on those very few days when it may not be available at short distance. :cool:
How is carrying 2 1l bottle significantly less weight than 2l water in a bladder? If i only want 1L water due to weight then fill the bladder with 1L.
The bladder weight is not going to make a significant difference.
Ultimately, about convenience....drink on the go.

How is carrying 2 1l bottle significantly less weight than 2l water in a bladder? If i only want 1L water due to weight then fill the bladder with 1L.

I agree, not much difference, except...
Make sure you regularly clean out the bladder properly with the correct solution. You are on a very long hike and it could be hot. I saw a pilgrim who had got very ill from not cleaning out the bladder (more specifically the drinking tube I suspect) in three weeks. She never made it to Santiago. To me the weight saving is the cleaning fluids/tablets and hassle that goes with it. Hence I use bottles that can be replaced anywhere.

Davey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I need 2L for an entire day, but fill a 500ml every 90 minutes, and if the bladder unit weighs an extra 250 grams, then for the first 90 minutes I'm carrying an extra 1750 grams (61 oz / ~4lbs), then for the next 90 minutes, I'm carrying 1250 extra grams, and then the next 90 minutes I'm carrying 750 grams.

The weight is real, but only the person carrying it can decide if it matters.

Another convenience of using bottles is that I can prep one of them to hold something other than water (my personal choice juice + wine + water as a source of pick-me-up energy while walking). And, I can conveniently refill as I go (a bladder involves a lot more fuss to refill).

To play both sides, I think the biggest problem with bottles is if the backpack doesn't have easily accessed pockets while walking. This would make accessing the water bottle and returning it to the pack a difficult thing to do without stopping, in which case the bladder is much more convenient. However, if a person includes easy access to bottles as a necessary criteria for the pack, then access shouldn't be an issue, and use of a bottle is effectively just as convenient as the bladder.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hesitate to get into this fray because it is such a matter of personal preference. But still, I will share my experience with both practices. On the CF I used bottles. It worked for me. Filled them at fountains and replaced every couple of days. On St Olav's I started out the same way. Oops, no fountains, villages usually avoided and I ran out of water. What a humiliating (and dangerous) predicament. (I was bailed out by a young woman who graciously filled my half liter bottle from her bladder). I bought my own at my first opportunity. I still continued to drink from my bottles tho, until I got tired of having to stop to drink because I needed to watch where I was putting my feet. That bladder and tube became my new best friend. When I walk the CF again next spring I'll do bottles again. Why?? Because I am basically lazy and the bladder is a little more work. I would rather fill and replace bottles than pull a bladder out, rinse & fill, and cram back into its pocket. So this is off track. I believe the OP asked "how big" rather than "should I or shouldn't I".

So this is off track. I believe the OP asked "how big" rather than "should I or shouldn't I".
Good point. My advice to OP is get the 3L and underfill it if the extra isn't needed for a given day.

My point was to raise the awareness of the weight of water.
Most people tend to fill the bladder nearly full " just in case" every day.
If you are very disciplined and only fill it with your need...good for you.

Water is readily available on almost all of the CF.
It is a personal choice...but if you are concerned with pack weight...
Why carry more water than you will drink or need?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wore my small fanny pack/bum bag/camera bag with 2 bottle holders on the front of my waist. It takes nothing at all to grab a bottle, swig and put it away.

I agree, not much difference, except...
Make sure you regularly clean out the bladder properly with the correct solution. You are on a very long hike and it could be hot. I saw a pilgrim who had got very ill from not cleaning out the bladder (more specifically the drinking tube I suspect) in three weeks. She never made it to Santiago. To me the weight saving is the cleaning fluids/tablets and hassle that goes with it. Hence I use bottles that can be replaced anywhere.

Davey
Do you recall what tests were made of her bladder to confirm it was the source of her illness?

Do you recall what tests were made of her bladder to confirm it was the source of her illness?

I met her when she was going home. As far as I recall she had got ill, carried on walking for a while then get worse before finally seeing a doctor. She told me it was through bad water and the doctor had specifically asked if she used a bladder and when was the last time she had sterilised it. She said that the doctor had seen this before. She was in Leon at this time. It was just a short conversation over dinner, but she was really poorly. Also, another pilgrim from Finland who hikes a lot off Camino in Africa told me she had seen this too. There was no tests on the water bladder itself though. I just think it is worth pointing out that they should be cleaned occasionally, especially in hot weather. I wouldn't use the same PET bottles for 5 weeks.

Edit: I suppose it could also come down to the quality of the water we put into the bladder/bottle but it also makes sense to clean/exchange the carrier

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I met her when she was going home. As far as I recall she had got ill, carried on walking for a while then get worse before finally seeing a doctor. She told me it was through bad water and the doctor had specifically asked if she used a bladder and when was the last time she had sterilised it. She said that the doctor had seen this before. She was in Leon at this time. It was just a short conversation over dinner, but she was really poorly. Also, another pilgrim from Finland who hikes a lot off Camino in Africa told me she had seen this too. There was no tests on the water bladder itself though. I just think it is worth pointing out that they should be cleaned occasionally, especially in hot weather. I wouldn't use the same PET bottles for 5 weeks.

Edit: I suppose it could also come down to the quality of the water we put into the bladder/bottle but it also makes sense to clean/exchange the carrier

Davey
Absolutely agree that the bladder should get a clean. I am just not sure one should blame the bladder for an individual's lack of basic hygiene skills.

This is a bit like the shoes v boots debate. It's a very personal choice.

I walked the CF last year with a 2L bladder and found it was great. I made sure I rinsed it frequently and about 1/week I sterilised it using denture tablets. Though on longer sections, like that 17 km with no fonts, I carried 3L.

I loved being able to 'sip' at will as I walked. And reaching into the side pockets of my pack to get a bottle was too hard.

The downside? Twice I sucked the bladder dry, on a really hot day and a couple of hours from the next water. I think once it had leaked via the bite valve. So, not being able to see how much was in the bladder was a real drawback. On both occasions I had a 300 ml 'emergency' bottle in my side pouch thankfully. I could have topped up the bladder at coffee stops, but had 'assumed' there was plenty left. So the bladder does require a bit more discipline I think. :oops:

This year on our 'short hop' from Sarria (and Yes I know you hardly need carry water on that section as the cafes are so frequent), I started with a bladder and then took it out of my wife's pack. She didn't need the extra weight. I just carried bottles for her. Then I ditched my own bladder. We managed very well with bottles, as we walked together and she could pull them out of my side pouch for us. And I liked being able to see exactly how much we had left! But I couldn't sip as I walked.... Which I think is much better health wise.

Next time?

I've just ordered a couple of Smartubes. Looks like the best of both worlds to me ;)

I seem to recall that there are water bottle holders that allow the bottles to be hung on the pack straps at the front. Seems a good idea to a) balance the weight and b) so you can see how much you have left. Any recommendations?

I'm debating between a 2 or a 3 liter hydration pack. How often can one refill one's water supply? On a hot day, it seems I drink about 1 liter/hour.
Susan

Are you sure you don't mean 1 pint an hour? I cannot imagine drinking 8-10 litres of water in a day. And I drink a lot....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like state above "this is like shoes." Each to their own. One likes. One dislikes.

I only use a bladder now. Camelback mil spec 3L bladder.

Filling: you do not have to take the bladder out of your pack to fill. Or fill when it is in the pack and get water all over everything. You can buy a "UTA" device (means Universal Tube Adaptor). You unsnap your mouth piece and snap the UTA on the hose. Put purchased water bottle i.e, 1 L bottle, hold up the hose higher than your bag and fill. You can also fill from a faucet.
The UTA fitting fits the larger size (newer) camelbak hose. If not, you can buy an adaptor kit to convert yours to the newer size.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S9EH04/?tag=casaivar02-20

3L vs 2L vs 1L bags: I always take my 3L bag. Not much weight (empty) between 3L vs a 2 L bag. BUT, is nice to have the extra water when need it on long hauls. Even on the Ingles there was one or two stretches that I was glad I had 3 L in the bag instead of 1 or 2 L or small plastic disposal bottles.

Inside or outside bag bladder?? Camelbak recently came out with a bladder case/holder that holds your bladder on the EXTERIOR of your pack. I will try and find a link for this holder. I used it on the Ingles and got many good comments about it. I have not seen this new exterior pack bladder case on the market yet. I got mine from a store that was test selling for camelbak. and glad I got it. It is not the type with shoulder straps on it or a chest strap. Only secures to the back (exterior) of your back. Wonderful.

The holder is insulated some. Durable. Fit on my Osprey pack perfect. Was on the outside of the back of my pack.

I put it inside the pack (actually the outter pouch on the pack) when put pack on the bus and train.

I was impressed by the UTA and the exterior bladder case. Great job Camelbak.

Mil spec vs regular Camelbak bags/bladders. Mil spec bladders are stronger. Weight about the same. More durable. Have baffle inside the bladder. Stop the splashing noise and shifting of water when on your back.
Mil spec Antidote is the best bladder/hose system on the market. Next I would say Osprey has a great bag and hose.
Mil spec by Camelbak has 1/4 turn no spill cap. Has hydrolock on hose and bag to shut off water flow when not drinking. Uses the Quick Link system.

http://shop.camelbak.com/mil-spec-antidote-reservoirs/l/711

Nothing wrong with regular non mil spec bladder, hose and mouth piece. But the mil spec ones are stronger. Better made and will hold up much longer.

At the end of the day, I dumped any remaining water out. Refilled with fresh. After about 3 days or so I used one Camelbak cleaning tab in 1L of water in the bag. Let sit 5 min. Ran water out hose, mouth piece to clean them too. Rinsed with fresh. Refilled with fresh and went on my way. Never had a problem with nasty water. Mold etc. Mil spec is antibaterical so no mold issues. There is a term for this but forgot it.

I will never go back to water bottles. having to take pack off to find the bottle(s). Don't know about other packs...but try and grab a water bottle out of the side pockets on a Osprey pack. Yes there are two ways to put bottles in the Osprey outside holder. And I dont like either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
weight...weight...

I just smiled at the guy who told me "bladder, hose and mouth piece weigh too much." Telling me while he was getting a book out of his pack to read!

How about cutting the useless junk and keep the essential.

But some you just cannot educate.

How about the guy who gave me a lecture on hiking pants. He was a regular know-it-all type of a guy.
When he got up from the table in the cafe I noticed his JEANS. But he knows it all.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.