• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hydration urine chart

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - remember the summer? Constant up in the forties? I have been looking for a hydration chart for a while now - so much easier than trying to explain to the dehydrated pilgrims I meet :)

The only thing missing is when you find you are not passing water and then that you are not sweating - let the alarm bells ring!
Also, funnily enough, water is not sufficient to rehydrate as too much will leach out the electrolytes in the body, leading to weakness, dizziness, and sometimes nausea .. the 'sports' drinks are useless, mainly because they are full of sugar, which will spike your sugar levels for twenty minutes and then leave you lower than you were before you started drinking it (same spike effect with chocolate) .. better to add salt to your food and to use rehydrating sachets such as Dioralyite.

Anyway - here the urine colour chart (anyone getting purple please do let us know!!)

What-Does-The-Color-Of-Your-Urine-Reveal-About-You.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A similar chart is posted above the urinals in most Boy Scout camps. When obtaining a SAMPLE history for last intake / output: What color was your pee last time? Was it like lemonade or apple juice? It seems easier to respond to the prompt, and places them somewhere on the color spectrum you can both relate to (good / bad).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many years ago one of my then teenage sons came out of the toilet very upset and told us he was peeing blood, on questioning him further we found that he had eaten half a jar of beetroot with salad for his lunch some hours before. His urine went back to normal colour after a few more hours and all was well again, to his great relief.

There is such a thing as purple urine. Fortunately not common!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria
@Bradypus, are you suggesting that we should carry sample containers and carry them on the outside of our packs in the sun for a few days just to see if we have this condition? That would be interesting.

@David, thank you for reminding us about the importance of staying hydrated, and for providing a practical tool for evaluating our hydration status. Even for those of us who have seen it before, it is useful to be reminded of these things.

@Bradypus, are you suggesting that we should carry sample containers and carry them on the outside of our packs in the sun for a few days just to see if we have this condition? That would be interesting.

It wouldn't be high on my to-do list - unnecessary weight as well as the aesthetic aspects :) Reading around the subject it seems that people with porphyria can occasionally produce urine which is slightly purple even when fresh. Probably not the impressive shade of the matured sample in the Wikipedia article though.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - remember the summer? Constant up in the forties? I have been looking for a hydration chart for a while now - so much easier than trying to explain to the dehydrated pilgrims I meet :)

The only thing missing is when you find you are not passing water and then that you are not sweating - let the alarm bells ring!
Also, funnily enough, water is not sufficient to rehydrate as too much will leach out the electrolytes in the body, leading to weakness, dizziness, and sometimes nausea .. the 'sports' drinks are useless, mainly because they are full of sugar, which will spike your sugar levels for twenty minutes and then leave you lower than you were before you started drinking it (same spike effect with chocolate) .. better to add salt to your food and to use rehydrating sachets such as Dioralyite.

Anyway - here the urine colour chart (anyone getting purple please do let us know!!)

View attachment 30226

Thank you very much for the great chart David. I can use this on some of my local USA hikes to pass out to some of the newbies. Excellent!!!

Long ago I had to stop running for a week and then I went back to it with a vengeance. I ended up with that pink to reddish urine. The military doctor told me (in a layman's term) that it was march hematoma. I was beating the soles of my feet (like soliders on a march) and bursting blood vessels internally. Watch out for that on your camino.

Hi - remember the summer?
better to add salt to your food and to use rehydrating sachets such as Dioralyite.
QUOTE]
I found that most food on the Camino was unsalted, even McDonalds' french fries! I would have to ask for salt for my eggs - and it often came straight from the kitchen.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Like the doc's in the military used to tell us, you should be pissing clear.
Don't know about the other Camino routes, but on the Frances (save for a couple of sections) you would have to work really hard to get dangerously dehydrated even during the hot months. There are so many places to fill/refill your water containers/bladders.

Re hydrating with product containing high fructose corn syrup (aka Gatorade) can lead to gout attacks if you have allowed yourself to become fluid depleted.
I agree with my buddy Mark Lee, you should be pissing clear and if you start pissing little yellow bb's you are in serious trouble, my friend; possibly even worse than red and purple.

... on the Frances (save for a couple of sections) you would have to work really hard to get dangerously dehydrated even during the hot months. There are so many places to fill/refill your water containers/bladders.

As a hospitalera that has given countless times first aid to dehydrated pilgrims on the CF I completely disagree.
Buen Camino, SY

PS Remember people, it is not only about the water intake, it is about the water AND salt/minerals balance ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a hospitalera that has given countless times first aid to dehydrated pilgrims on the CF I completely disagree.
Buen Camino, SY

PS Remember people, it is not only about the water intake, it is about the water AND salt/minerals balance ...
Were those cases of dehydration due to shortages of places to hydrate, or due to the pilgrim's poor judgment in not hydrating enough? Also, it is easy enough to have a healthy mineral intake on the CF as well. No problem getting fruit such as bananas which provide potassium, or various brands of power bars which also provide that and some measure of sodium. That can also be found in a bottle of one of the energy/fitness drinks, but those should not be a sole source of hydration. A simple bag of salted nuts can replenish sodium as well as provide some measure of protein. The CF is far from being a walk through squalor devoid of retail establishments to get stuff you need.
From what I have seen walking the CF multiple times, and said experience in doing so, there are more than enough places to refill your water supply and drink as well along the Camino. Now if one decides not too, and suffers the consequences, well that's not the CF's fault and the responsibility lies only on the pilgrim who chose poorly.
It is up to the individual to exercise good judgement on their health and well being, whether on the Camino or any other similar activity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola @David, as usual a great post on an important topic. If my Kilimanjaro memory is working we were told we had to drink at least 4 litres per day and pee at least 2 litres (the rest goes out in sweat). I think the other comment is - drink before, you feel thirsty, not when your mouth is dry.

Thanks for posting this David. It's something that we are very aware of hiking here in the Australian summer. It's a very comprehensive chart as it also alerts you over hydrating ie the no colour/transparent urine. While a relatively rare occurrence you can over hydrate with serious consequences. I have been witness to 2 such instances, one in the tropics and the other here at home. The urine colour chart is a great resource.

Also ladies (gents may wish to avert their eyes for this paragraph) this is why I use a clear pStyle on treks as it allows me to easily monitor urine colour - saves on toilet paper too! :p

Hola @David, as usual a great post on an important topic. If my Kilimanjaro memory is working we were told we had to drink at least 4 litres per day and pee at least 2 litres (the rest goes out in sweat). I think the other comment is - drink before, you feel thirsty, not when your mouth is dry.
The hydration recommendation for Kilimanjaro is based on trekking at altitude where urine output also increases as the body acclimatises:
Staying hydrated is important at altitude. Symptoms of dehydration are similar to AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness). In reality you only need an additional liter to a liter and a half of water at altitude. Too much water is harmful and can dilute your body's sodium level (hyponatremia) causing weakness, confusion, seizures, and coma. A good rule of thumb to assess for hydration is to check your urine. Clear urine indicates adequate hydration, dark urine suggest dehydration and the need to drink more water.
Institue for Altitude Medicine

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Add to your list the colour Black , indicative of Alkaptonuria , a rare genetic disorder where symptoms can sometimes be missed until the early thirties .
It's probably also worthwhile mentioning that the smell imparted by urine can also act as an indicator of disease as well as the foods we have eaten . Strong ammonia could be indicative of kidney stones or an emerging STD and fruity scents , Diabetes .
Incidentally Asparagus makes most urine smell sulphurous however only half the population can actually smell it . There is a peculiar gene that governs the ability to detect this odour .
I don't know if this is a good or bad thing though :)

Too much water is harmful and can dilute your body's sodium level (hyponatremia) causing weakness, confusion, seizures, and coma. A good rule of thumb to assess for hydration is to check your urine. Clear urine indicates adequate hydration, dark urine suggest dehydration and the need to drink more water.
Institue for Altitude Medicine
I am aware of the differences - my point was to remind walkers to drink, before they were thirsty/dry. I usually add hydration tablets to my water bottle 2 or 3 times per week to ensure the sodium levels are kept in check. I do agree with you comments in bold about checking the colour (and amount) of your urine discharge. Discussions like this are important - regardless of sensitivities - to ensure our pilgrims are as healthy as possible. Cheers

Thanks for the useful chart!
While on such topic, I couldn't resist sharing this one chart... :D
(Note it also refers to dehydration!)
;)

full

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
my point was to remind walkers to drink, before they were thirsty/dry.
Unfortunately, I think for many people who are not regular walkers, this just looks like so much gobbledygook. Its like giving directions to a friend's house, and suggesting that it is halfway down a street. This is a location that is impossible to know until one has driven down the whole street and then returned to the halfway point. Unlike street directions, it is not possible to return to an un-thirsty state once it has been passed.

When I am discussing this, I prefer to take the approach that it is better to drink small amounts frequently. and increase the amount and then frequency if you start to feel thirsty. Even then I still wonder if people not used to walking will drink enough not to create a fluid deficit. At that point, guides like that posted by @David or more recently by @Marion-SantiagoInLove have their role in helping us understand whether we have got our intake right.

Another thing to remember is that with today's moisture wicking/fast drying tech garments, especially the shirts, it can be difficult to know that you have been sweating a lot. It dries so quickly on the shirt as opposed to the old cotton style athletic gear which would get soaked. It's possible you don't realize you are getting dehydrated. Same goes for physical activity in cold weather.

I am aware of the differences - my point was to remind walkers to drink, before they were thirsty/dry. I usually add hydration tablets to my water bottle 2 or 3 times per week to ensure the sodium levels are kept in check. I do agree with you comments in bold about checking the colour (and amount) of your urine discharge. Discussions like this are important - regardless of sensitivities - to ensure our pilgrims are as healthy as possible. Cheers
@Saint Mike II while we have both trekked at altitude and are well aware of the differences in hydration requirements, first time walkers on the Forum may not be and that was my main point. Reminding people to drink before they are thirsty is good advice as is the occasional use of hydration tablets. People also don't often think to drink a glass of water before they set off.

@David's chart is one of the few that I have seen which includes too pale urine. I have found that urine colour is the only true indicator of hydration for me as my water consumption doesn't seem to follow any set rules ie I drink much less in hot climates and at higher altitudes. Expedition doctors were the ones to reassure me that everyone is different and insist that I focus on chart colour as I worried that I wasn't drinking enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Keeping well hydrated is the first step to preventing blisters. Once your skin starts to dry out it will no longer be subtle and blisters will form. I think the biggest reason for de-hydration is not wanting to load up on weighty water and running out between towns. Camelbak hydration systems are great at providing convenient water when you want it. People that us them drink 30% more that those that have to rely on taking off their packs to grab a drink. On the CF last year, I had a 2 lt. Camelbak and ended up sucking it dry a couple of times. Next year on the VDLP I'm bringing a 3 lt.

On the CF last year, I had a 2 lt. Camelbak and ended up sucking it dry a couple of times. Next year on the VDLP I'm bringing a 3 lt.
I have been using a 2li bladder and carrying a ~500ml bottle in reserve. Should the bladder run out, then I still have the bottle to decant into the bladder, and I then know that I need to refill at the next opportunity. This pattern avoids the uncertainty around how much water I have left. Up to the point where I use the bottle, I always know that I have at least 500ml available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back