• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I’ve been thinking

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Camino Frances,
2019 C. Portuguese (inland).
Lately I’ve been thinking about all the beautiful places that my wife and I have been to around the world and just how lucky we are. The Camino Frances and Portuguese is up there among the best. I count those as my most joyful and fulfilling trips. Now, with the world shut down, I realise more than ever what a privilege, what a wonderful thing it is to travel and to be with new people in different places. That, for most people, is a far away dream. I’m beginning to understand just how that must feel. Even for the local people that we met along our Camino walks it was a dream. It’s humbling.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked last year, and cant believe how lucky we were to go then. I finally persuaded my husband to come with me, after 2 Caminos on my own, and we took our oldest grandson (13). We chose that time to fit in with his schooling, the last year before 4 weeks off school would impact on his senior exams.
Just 6 months later we were in Covid lockdown. Who knows how long it will be until we do can this type of travel again. I cant even image air travel like that again - 2 whole days. We look back at our photos, remember how amazing it was and are so grateful we walked then.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I content myself with the thought that I go on pilgrimage as a spiritual retreat. God knows (literally) that I have a lot left to learn, so I am hoping that He/She will allow me to learn more of it on camino. Time is short and I find the caminos amazing places to be open to that special kind of learning.

Not to be an elitist, but it amazes me how many people in America have never gone overseas for any trip or vacation. I think it is somewhere near 50%. When you think back, you find that you are truly blessed that you have had the chance to talk with others who have different cultural bases. And yet, despite these, you end up coming away with the same common elements: belief, family, food, drink, and fun (please order as appropriate). Travel for me is not an option. It is the only way to keep life and self-interest in perspective and control. Buen Camino to those that I have met and to those that I will on future walks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m guessing that some in that 50% can’t afford it (probably the majority) some simply can’t for work or family reasons and some are not motivated. Those of us who can and do really are the 5% lucky ones. Mass tourism looks after the rest who sort of can but really can’t.

I’m guessing that some in that 50% can’t afford it (probably the majority) some simply can’t for work or family reasons and some are not motivated. Those of us who can and do really are the 5% lucky ones. Mass tourism looks after the rest who sort of can but really can’t.
Yes, that would be me. First it was raising children, then it was money issues, it still is a money issue now that I have the time. That might ease up but with a looming recession, some of us will never know until we go.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently read that Rick Steves, Inc had something like 10,000 people booked on their tour busses in Europe during Summer 2020. My O My. It might be interesting to be on one of those bus tours. But on the other hand it might be interesting to see the local penitentiary or it might be interesting to go to a paint factory or it might be interesting to see the local landfill.

Yes, that would be me. First it was raising children, then it was money issues, it still is a money issue now that I have the time. That might ease up but with a looming recession, some of us will never know until we go.
That was me as well. I retired and wanted to travel, but I don’t have a lot of money. Then I discovered the Camino, and it is an inexpensive way to travel, get a lot of exercise, and see beautiful countries ( a little of France and then Spain) and be awe inspired all in one!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s like walking through a history of humanity. It teaches you humility. You can’t help but come out at the other end a better and more humble person. We are in this together. All of us. I don’t ever want to see anything again from the window of a bus or to drive when I can walk. If I’d known I’d have done the Camino at 18, not 60.

That is true, and a lot of people prioritise their money differently. For some people possessions are important. For others they like to holiday in tourist spots. And for others they cant comprehend why someone would ever want to go.
Comments from people have varied:
Why would you want to do that? (the idea of walking for a month doesnt make sense to a lot of people)
You went on your own, isnt that risky? (mainly from women but some men as well)
Why do you have to go to Europe to walk (some people can never understand)
You could buy some nice jewelry for that price (I could but I'd rather spend it on air fares)
You could have updated your car (last year when I had to buy 3 airfares, and 13 years counts as an adult fare)
You only have 2 outfits, you have to be joking (from people who cant be seen in the same thing twice)
What if he didnt like it? (thinking we were mad to take our grandson)
You went for a month, and you only saw one country! ( they think I didnt get my money's worth of countries)

I just hope I get the chance to go again

Last edited:
Lately I’ve been thinking about all the beautiful places that my wife and I have been to around the world and just how lucky we are. The Camino Frances and Portuguese is up there among the best. I count those as my most joyful and fulfilling trips. Now, with the world shut down, I realise more than ever what a privilege, what a wonderful thing it is to travel and to be with new people in different places. That, for most people, is a far away dream. I’m beginning to understand just how that must feel. Even for the local people that we met along our Camino walks it was a dream. It’s humbling.
Oh, yes! So many places to go, so little time....:)
I was able to visit a number of "less-traveled" places while working with Habitat for Humanity a number of years ago: Kyrgyzstan was one.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes we are fortunate. Times change to, when I was very young in the 70s back in the homeland (UK), a family holiday to Spain was not the done thing for a good percentage, too foreign 👽 and unaffordable. By the end of 80s locations such as Florida and Thailand became viable. I for one am very grateful how much the world is more connected due to people being able to travel.

I did my first Camino 3 years ago after decades of full time work. We talked and laughed for much of the way, my friends and I. There were solemn moments too. It was a joy to be free, to meet people from around the world, to share the same space, the same meal, the same path. It was a joy to share stories, to be burden free. No one asked what work I did. Freedom again. Some raced to their destination, some took it slow. Some had done it all before. Not possible I thought. But it is, and since then I’ve done hundreds, so to speak. To Santiago, to Finisterre, to Porto, to the beginning and to the end and back again. I don’t know how to describe those 46 days?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not to be an elitist, but it amazes me how many people in America have never gone overseas for any trip or vacation. I think it is somewhere near 50%. When you think back, you find that you are truly blessed that you have had the chance to talk with others who have different cultural bases. And yet, despite these, you end up coming away with the same common elements: belief, family, food, drink, and fun (please order as appropriate). Travel for me is not an option. It is the only way to keep life and self-interest in perspective and control. Buen Camino to those that I have met and to those that I will on future walks.
John, during this lock-down I have so much enjoyed your virtual caminos 0n YouTube. Many thanks.

That is true, and a lot of people prioritise their money differently. For some people possessions are important. For others they like to holiday in tourist spots. And for others they cant comprehend why someone would ever want to go.
Comments from people have varied:
Why would you want to do that? (the idea of walking for a month doesnt make sense to a lot of people)
You went on your own, isnt that risky? (mainly from women but some men as well)
Why do you have to go to Europe to walk (some people can never understand)
You could buy some nice jewelry for that price (I could but I'd rather spend it on air fares)
You could have updated your car (last year when I had to buy 3 airfares, and 13 years counts as an adult fare)
You only have 2 outfits, you have to be joking (from people who cant be seen in the same thing twice)
What if he didnt like it? (thinking we were mad to take our grandson)
You went for a month, and you only saw one country! ( they think I didnt get my money's worth of countries)

I just hope I get the chance to go again
This is a great argument for the 'haves'. It is only a question of priorities. This doesn't include the 'have nots', people that are focused on having the basic needs met and a limited budget: food, shelter, warmth, clothing.

When I got to Santiago last year after an epic walk from Irun along the Vasco, Frances, and Invierno, I thought— "If this is my last Camino, I will die satisfied." I sure hope it isn't, but who knows?
We have been SO lucky.
Yes we have, and primero Dios we will be back

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A year ago today, I woke up in St. Jean Pied de Port and proceeded to spend the next 9.5 hours walking over the Pyrenees which was then followed by 31 glorious days on the Camino Frances. Today, I am feeling sad and trapped due to the circumstances and now that Facebook is popping up all these memories, I yearn to share the experience and the effect it had on me but, because I walked it alone, my family doesn't understand the spell that the Camino has on me. When I am feeling this way, I find the forum and read what others are saying and it makes me feel better. It's only those that have gone through this journey that can truly understand the magic of it all. Although, this was my first Camino, it definitely won't be my last. I am very grateful for the Camino, this forum and my Camino family :)

I used to say that three things need to be in place to travel—time, money and health—but then I added another one—desire. Some time ago I saw the cover of a guidebook showing a cafe in Paris and asked a coworker if she wouldn’t rather be sitting there watching the world go by. Her answer was no. She preferred staying in the US and particularly our home state. I suspect that there are people the world over who agree with her, even though for many of us that’s a mindset that’s hard to take in.
If we do finally have all four travel elements in place right now, knowing how fleeting that golden moment can be makes being thwarted by a pandemic all the more sad, but we also know how lucky we are.

You don’t realise how lucky we are, even the amount of holidays you get from your company you work for. I spent last night ringing up and cancelling all the pre booked Albergues for May and June.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You don’t realise how lucky we are, even the amount of holidays you get from your company you work for. I spent last night ringing up and cancelling all the pre booked Albergues for May and June.
I am so very sorry you to cancel everything. I know how much that must hurt. I had planned a Camino in Sept but at least I hadn't make reservations yet. Good luck. I hope you can make it in 2021

I am so very sorry you to cancel everything. I know how much that must hurt. I had planned a Camino in Sept but at least I hadn't make reservations yet. Good luck. I hope you can make it in 2021
I felt so sorry for the Albergue owners, they are so nice and friendly, hopefully we will return next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a great argument for the 'haves'. It is only a question of priorities. This doesn't include the 'have nots', people that are focused on having the basic needs met and a limited budget: food, shelter, warmth, clothing.
Yes Ive been in that group too, which is why I walked my first Camino when I was 58, after decades of working. Before that there were always costs and commitments for kids, schooling, housing etc, and I would never have been able to get enough time off work. It was a long time before I could indulge in something for me.
Maybe because I did have to wait so long, I appreciated it so much.
I just lost my job due to the Covid lockdown, so once again I don't know when I can go again.

Last edited:
I had thought about doing a camino for some years but could never afford it. In 2016 I sold a lot of accumulated possessions and raised enough to do the CF. I caught the camino bug. Last year I sold a car that I hardly used and did the CF with my daughter. This year I sold an expensive classic car and bought a cheaper one realising enough to do the CP and the CM. (When we can travel again). Friends have asked me why I am selling my assets "just to go walking" (they just don't get it). I am nearly 77 (and a pensioner) and have decided that I would rather use my assets to walk caminos, which I thoroughly enjoy, while I can. I will stop when I either run out of assets or am physically unable.

I had thought about doing a camino for some years but could never afford it. In 2016 I sold a lot of accumulated possessions and raised enough to do the CF. I caught the camino bug. Last year I sold a car that I hardly used and did the CF with my daughter. This year I sold an expensive classic car and bought a cheaper one realising enough to do the CP and the CM. (When we can travel again). Friends have asked me why I am selling my assets "just to go walking" (they just don't get it). I am nearly 77 (and a pensioner) and have decided that I would rather use my assets to walk caminos, which I thoroughly enjoy, while I can. I will stop when I either run out of assets or am physically unable.
You have your priorities right ... I too have sold up accumulated treasures to be free!
They are anchos going nowhere.

€46,-
Well, Anamiri, I hope you get another job and a better one in due course so that you can do another Camino!
Me too, I had a great job - but the company I worked for made a big chunk of its income from Aviation fuel.....

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back