• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am a convert to Juvenile hostels

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
I am staying at Albergue Juvenil Villacastora in Cercedilla tonight and I am in heaven. It is a modern, clean single room (two beds) with a modern bathroom including a hair dryer with its own balcony and a fabulous view for €14.85 breakfast included.

I was wary of coming here because I have read repeatedly from people I respect on this forum that they studiously avoid Albergue Juvenils.

I think that there are two other people staying here, also in private rooms but I am not sure if they are pilgrims or not.

Here are some photos of my room. I hope that others take the opportunity to use these wonderful assets.

IMG_20230604_163822059_HDR.jpg. IMG_20230604_163817913_HDR.jpg
View from my balcony and across the balconies
IMG_20230604_163814707_HDR.jpg. IMG_20230604_161538313.jpg

IMG_20230604_161534446.jpg. IMG_20230604_161519964.jpg

IMG_20230604_161508218.jpg. IMG_20230604_161501404.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am staying at Albergue Juvenil Villacastora in Cercedilla tonight and I am in heaven. It is a modern, clean single room (two beds) with a modern bathroom including a hair dryer with its own balcony and a fabulous view for €14.85 breakfast included.

I was wary of coming here because I have read repeatedly from people I respect on this forum that they studiously avoid Albergue Juvenils.

I think that there are two other people staying here, also in private rooms but I am not sure if they are pilgrims or not.

Here are some photos of my room. I hope that others take the opportunity to use these wonderful assets.

View attachment 148680. View attachment 148681
View attachment 148682. View attachment 148683

View attachment 148684. View attachment 148685

View attachment 148687. View attachment 148688
It looks quite nice. How did you know you could stay there or that they had rooms as they are not listed in the apps, Booking.com or Gronze? I saw it when planning my Madrid this fall, but assumed it was a camp for children.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read repeatedly from people I respect on this forum that they studiously avoid Albergue Juvenils.
For my part, it's less "studiously" than "generally" -- for the most part, I find youth hostels to be obnoxious places ; though OTOH I did appreciate the grotty but nice and simple Albergue-style bunk beds dormitory accommodation for pilgrims at the one in Lleida ; just the existence of the one in Sète, without any possibility of assistance from the local clergy who were having their very well-deserved Easter Monday rest day, and really it wasn't so bad despite some oddness to it (helpful that I shared that room with a friendly leper, really lovely gentleman despite his awful handicap) ; and the old-fashioned straightforwardness of the place in Tàrrega. (all of these on my last Camino)

We had two really good ones down here, worked in one of them for a summer ; both gone the way of the dodo, most sadly.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Doughnut,
I second your view. I stayed in the Córdoba youth hostel. Pilgrim rate 26€, 50% of daily rate. Modern single room, two beds, ensuite, several courtyards, in the old Jewish Quarter. I wouldn't bother with the breakfast.
Same goes for the youth hostel in Granada. Very good.

Se ve bastante bien. ¿Cómo supiste que podías quedarte allí o que tenían habitaciones, ya que no figuran en las aplicaciones, Booking.com o Gronze? Lo vi al planear mi Madrid este otoño, pero supuse que era un campamento para niños.
Perdona @Derek Taylor, pero el albergue juvenil Villa Castora sí está en la guía web Gronze, en la etapa 04 del Camino de Madrid. Ese albergue se halla en la localidad de Las Dehesas, no en Cercedilla, porque dicho albergue juvenil está 3 kilómetros después del pueblo de Cercedilla. Además, lo explica perfectamente en un AL LORO sobre Cercedilla de la etapa anterior, la etapa 03. La guía-web Gronze del Camino de Madrid es muy completa, hay que mirar no sólo la página de alojamientos, sino también Al Loro y Recorrido de cada etapa. Buen camino @DonutANZ

Google translate: Sorry @Derek Taylor, but the Villa Castora youth hostel is in the Gronze web guide, on stage 04 of the Camino de Madrid. This hostel is in the town of Las Dehesas, not in Cercedilla, because said youth hostel is 3 kilometers after the town of Cercedilla. In addition, he explains it perfectly in an AL LORO about Cercedilla from the previous stage, stage 03. The Gronze web-guide of the Camino de Madrid is very complete, you have to look not only at the accommodation page, but also at Al Loro and Recorrido de each stage. Good trail @DonutANZ

Last edited by a moderator:

We stayed in the Juvenil in Tudela (on the Camino del Ebro) and loved it. We particularly liked the cheerful staff of young people.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I stayed in the youth hostel on the left on that road out of Cercedilla on a Saturday in 2017. I think that is the same one. Surprisingly there is another youth hostel a little further up on the right. And it was just as you said. I remember that I wanted to leave early the next morning, and breakfast would have been too late but they made me a packed breakfast. And they kept a hold of my (pilgrim) passport, but assured me someone would be on the desk all night if I needed it. I got it back when I brought the key back.

Yes a very nice and cheap private room. I think you do need to ring in advance as they are apparently quite often busy with parties of young people, although it may be the case that they keep a few pilgrim rooms in reserve.

It is a bit out of the town and you won't want to go back down and climb back up so do your shopping before you get there.

But I agree a very fine place. I have never actually heard 'hostility' towards youth hostels, though there are not a lot of them about these days, at least not on Caminos. I stayed in one in Montreux on the VF which was (a) superior and (b) expensive - but that was in a very expensive country. :)

I have mostly positive experiences in youth hostels. In bigger cities - they are a bit more unpleasant (but not all). But in smaller cities and towns where they allow all ages - they are usually pretty nice.

It looks quite nice. How did you know you could stay there or that they had rooms as they are not listed in the apps, Booking.com or Gronze? I saw it when planning my Madrid this fall, but assumed it was a camp for children.
It is a camp for children and the children need adult supervision and sometimes when the kids aren't here then there is plenty of room for random adults who are seeking accommodation.

They are also part of the world wide hostelling federation and so my Aotearoa New Zealand YHA card gets me a 25% discount.

Theoretical if enough adults or families want to stay and all the private rooms are occupied then they may put you in a bunk room but they prefer to have adults in the private rooms where possible.

They would also never put adults in with children that are not part of the adults family.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I loved IYHF youth hostels when I was traveling in the 70s and 80s. I got myself a life membership. When I took my son on the Camino Frances, I stayed at a couple of Albergue Juvenils with him (in Estella and Ponferrada, if memory serves) and really regretted not staying in pilgrim albergues instead.

That said, I was planning on staying in the albergue juvenil in Cercedilla.

I stayed there in 2019 and liked it a lot.

I booked my accommodation online, using the link from Gronze. There wasn't an option to choose the type of accommodation, but I got a private room with two beds. I knew there was no guarantee of this when booking.

There was a large group of teenagers in the dorms. I throughly enjoyed their 'joie de vivre'. I'm saying this because the 'other' view of youth groups is sometimes more common on this forum 😊

Last edited:
I am staying at Albergue Juvenil Villacastora in Cercedilla
You're lucky. There are two in Cercedilla and both were closed for holidays when we passed through, as was the polideportivo for a fiesta. Probably too late now, but the albergue in Granja (if you make the detour to see the palace) is also good. The Albergues Juveniles are a mixed bunch, and we've stayed in a few. Some are excellent, some are run-down and many only cater for large groups, usually of high school students, and are closed to individuals. In many cases they are the only option but none are so bad we wouldn't use them again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There was a large group of teenagers in the dorms. I throughly enjoyed their 'joie de vivre'. I'm saying this because the 'other' view of youth groups is sometimes more common on this forum 😊
We had a similar experience last year in the Sport-Nature complex at Saint Pe de Bigorre, about 10 kms after Lourdes on the Piemont! We were the only 'oldies' with a group of about 30 teenagers and their minders, who were not much older but seemed to be doing a great job. We were allocated our own room at the other end of the building, with our own bathroom. We were a bit of a curiosity at dinner and breakfast the next morning. It was the group's last night and they had all sorts of activities and prize giving. In the end, it was a hoot!

I tried booking for Thursday, a few days in advance, but apparently they can't accommodate me. I'm hoping now fir better luck with the other one (Las Dehesas) a bit further down the road.

And I'm not only a pilgrim but a Youth Hostel Federation member!

I tried booking for Thursday, a few days in advance, but apparently they can't accommodate me. I'm hoping now fir better luck with the other one (Las Dehesas) a bit further down the road.

I found the booking process very bureaucratic. As you walk past ring the bell at the gate and pop in to see them.

The local staff are very nice and accommodating and there is someone in the office of the albergue from about 7 to 7.

I am not saying that you will get in but you might.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Me too. I got a very puzzled look when I produced my YHA gold life membership card at check-in in a Brussels hostel. No-one working there had ever seen one before!
The Canadian hostelling association replaced my old life membership card with a new one. It seems I am no longer life member number 1000.

I and others from the forum stayed at las Dehesas in 2019 ,it was a good experience. Small rooms with bunks,I had a three bed one on my own. Dinner at night in what reminded me of a school dining room but good and because we were leaving early we were given takeaway breakfast bags full of goodies.
One big benefit of staying there is that it is only a short distance to the start of the Roman road and the climb.

I tried booking for Thursday,
Bit late, but the time difference may be on our side ; the polideportivo in Cercedilla allows pilgrims to stay. However, it is at the beginning of town so a way before the Roman road. there's a good choice of hotels in town especially out of the weekend.

Bit late, but the time difference may be on our side ; the polideportivo in Cercedilla allows pilgrims to stay. However, it is at the beginning of town so a way before the Roman road. there's a good choice of hotels in town especially out of the weekend.
I have a reservation at Las Dehesas, so will stay there. There were two Polish pilgrims also staying last night at Ray and Rosa's. They had to bus here from Colmenar Viejo because they couldn't find a place there and will bus back this morning. They are planning to walk from Colmenar Viejo to the polideportivo in Cercedilla today.

I have a reservation at Las Dehesas, so will stay there. There were two Polish pilgrims also staying last night at Ray and Rosa's. They had to bus here from Colmenar Viejo because they couldn't find a place there and will bus back this morning. They are planning to walk from Colmenar Viejo to the polideportivo in Cercedilla today.
You're good then. I have a suggestion for you, break the walk into Segovia into two days by visiting Granja. Slightly off camino but easy to find. They have a (non pilgrim) albergue, nice town and spectacular palace. Segovia is a treat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're good then. I have a suggestion for you, break the walk into Segovia into two days by visiting Granja. Slightly off camino but easy to find. They have a (non pilgrim) albergue, nice town and spectacular palace. Segovia is a treat.
Already have a reservation at Pension Pozo, too. :) Made it yesterday. I've been to La Granja before, but that was 34 years ago. Not that I expect it has changed much, but memory sure has faded.

Even though I haven’t done that, I second the suggestion by @dick bird if you have the time. The second half of the walk from Cercedilla to Segovia feels like it will never end. Gronze says it’s 30 kms but it felt like much longer with Segovia seemingly close but then, not … and little shade. 😎

Oh our posts crossed! That’s great. Have a wonderful day. 😎

Last edited:
I stayed in an AirBnb in Colmenar Viejo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One thing to note about staying in youth hostels, at least the Las Dehesas one I am in tonight (I don't know if it is the same for Villacastora or other Spanish youth hostels): no laundry facilities. So be ready for that.

One thing to note about staying in youth hostels, at least the Las Dehesas one I am in tonight (I don't know if it is the same for Villacastora or other Spanish youth hostels): no laundry facilities. So be ready for that.
The same with Albergue Juvenil Villacastora but I washed my clothes in the bathroom sink and hung them to dry on my terrace chairs. Worked for me.

Hi, we also loved the Hosteling International properties on the Portugal Camino. we walked 25 Apr - 9 May 2023. We stayed at HI Vila do Conde Pousada de Juventude in Vila do Conde and Pousada De Juventude Vila Nova de Cerveira in Vila Nova de Cerveira. On both occasions these were exceptional places to stay, a private room with two single beds, just what we needed. I would totally recommend this line of properties. Rosanne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back