• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am back - looking for some advise

marc3l

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-Santiago (2013)
Dear All,

I am back again after my last "failed" Camino in 2015. Thank you for your wonderful and kind support last time, I really appreciate it. I got my leave approved for 3 weeks, and yesterday just decided to book tickets to Madrid on June 8.

I have walked CF fr SJPP in 2012/2013, tried Primitivo in 2015 (for some reason, only for a day and returned home), and now considering between CF/CDN. As I have only 18 days walking, I will walk as far (as short) as it allows, so reaching to Santiago is not my main point, as I can continue later when I have more time.

Could I ask your help to give me some inputs?

- I would like to attend Mass everyday, is it something that hard to find in CDN (I read maybe it is only every 2-3 days)? Is there any schedule of daily Mass along the way (CF/CDN), and where can I find it?

- Is there any long and remote stretches in CDN where there is no people in sight? I am still not comfortable walking alone in remote places now. I read it is less people, but not sure how less it is (20-30 ppl every day?), and no other local people around?

I am fine to walk CF again...even if it is the same route, I think the experience will be different...and the route itself is beautiful. Just not sure how crowded it will be starting on June 9. Anyway, I am very glad that I decide to walk the Camino again...and I hope it will help me in some ways...and allow me to do few little good things along the way.

Thank you.
marcel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Marcel, I'm heading out from Bilbao on the 19th, and if can get back to this thread, could leave word about how many others seem to be about on a stretch on the Norte. Buen Camino to you whichever you choose. You have one of the nicest airports I've ever seen there in Singapore, and I hope you get to fly Singapore Airlines over.:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good luck attending mass even once a week on the Norte, as well as walking within eye sight of others. In fact that is why so many walk it instead of the Frances. Walk alone all day and meet up with others at the albergue late afternoon.

From another person from Singapore, I walked the Norte in 2012.

When I walked it in spring, there were more people to Santander after. You get about a handful on average but I can imagine by now much more.

No real long stretches that I remember but do recall. A couple of places feels like a detour but I guess along the headlands we can't cross the water anywhere we like.

Mass outside CF is any place you stop and check the church for the timing, usually at the board outside the church. Expect to be only non local unless you have a fellow pilgrim joining you. Some days may be hard, I remember staying at an albergue in a train station (no church).

Dear All,

I am back again after my last "failed" Camino in 2015. Thank you for your wonderful and kind support last time, I really appreciate it. I got my leave approved for 3 weeks, and yesterday just decided to book tickets to Madrid on June 8.

I have walked CF fr SJPP in 2012/2013, tried Primitivo in 2015 (for some reason, only for a day and returned home), and now considering between CF/CDN. As I have only 18 days walking, I will walk as far (as short) as it allows, so reaching to Santiago is not my main point, as I can continue later when I have more time.

Could I ask your help to give me some inputs?

- I would like to attend Mass everyday, is it something that hard to find in CDN (I read maybe it is only every 2-3 days)? Is there any schedule of daily Mass along the way (CF/CDN), and where can I find it?

- Is there any long and remote stretches in CDN where there is no people in sight? I am still not comfortable walking alone in remote places now. I read it is less people, but not sure how less it is (20-30 ppl every day?), and no other local people around?

I am fine to walk CF again...even if it is the same route, I think the experience will be different...and the route itself is beautiful. Just not sure how crowded it will be starting on June 9. Anyway, I am very glad that I decide to walk the Camino again...and I hope it will help me in some ways...and allow me to do few little good things along the way.

Thank you.
marcel

Walked norte a few times. Mass everyday can be hard as priests scarce and lots of churches closed. You will be on your own a lot unless you walk with group. Primitivo my favoutite camino. Very tough but lovely

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Marcel, I have only walked the Norte - so that is the perspective my thoughts are coming from . . .

You could walk from Irun to Ribadesella comfortably in 18 days.

I can't help with this one. And I didn't hear any of my fellow pilgrims talking about daily mass on the Norte.

On the Norte you are walking through Seaside Villages and other small towns. I think there are towns people around every day. As a pilgrim in May 2011 and Oct 2013 we had 20 - 30 people walking each stage per day. Some days we would not pass anyone, and no one would pass us. On other days, each time we got to a Bar there would be 6-8 pilgrims taking a break!

I don't remember any deserted stretches with no people at all. Even the ocean paths had local hikers out with the pilgrims.

I am fine to walk CF again...even if it is the same route, I think the experience will be different...and the route itself is beautiful.

If daily mass is your focus, than I think the CF is the best option. If avoiding the teaming masses is preferred go with the Norte.! (Pun Intended! :rolleyes:)

Just not sure how crowded it will be starting on June 9.

I don't think it matters how crowded it is, I think you will have the Camino you were meant to have, if that means finding beds from unusual sources, I think that would add to your experience.

Anyway, I am very glad that I decide to walk the Camino again...and I hope it will help me in some ways...and allow me to do few little good things along the way.

Thank you.
marcel

Just my 2cents!

Buen Camino Marcel and let us know what you decide!

Thank you everyone for all the reply, and sorry for just getting back.

f daily mass is your focus, than I think the CF is the best option. If avoiding the teaming masses is preferred go with the Norte.! (Pun Intended! :rolleyes:)

I decided to start from SJPP (just made booking for a night in SJPP and Roncessvales now). Perhaps, I still prefer to attend a daily mass after a day walking around the large masses ;)

I don't think it matters how crowded it is, I think you will have the Camino you were meant to have, if that means finding beds from unusual sources, I think that would add to your experience.

I think it is true, I prefer solitude and some peaceful time on my own, but I should not expect too much. I think I will get what I need. I am not really concern about finding a bed...I can sleep anywhere (I am not bringing tent), but if necessary I will take bus/taxi, find some available places, and return back to the point the next morning. Last Camino, I slept in different type of places...was offered to sleep in a cafe's floor (I think it was after a long day from Burgos (?), which I was very thankful to the lady)...until tasted to sleep in parador...they are all nice and unforgettable memories :)

I'm heading out from Bilbao on the 19th, and if can get back to this thread, could leave word about how many others seem to be about on a stretch on the Norte. Buen Camino to you whichever you choose. You have one of the nicest airports I've ever seen there in Singapore, and I hope you get to fly Singapore Airlines over

Hi HighlandsHiker, I hope you enjoy your Camino right now :) Yes, the airport is very nice, I hope you had chance to visit the city too. I didn't get to fly via Singapore Airlines, I made a last-minute booking...and all the airline cost is already so high :oops:

Thank you everyone. Buen Camino!

Enjoy your Camino! And remember you have flexibility to start and finish where ever you like. After you start you could decide to jump a head a few hundred km and walk the end too!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back