Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am bored and I need something to do!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
The weather forecast doesn't look too bad and I need to do something useful. So I am thinking of walking the Primitivo from Lugo - picking up rubbish along the way as I have done before on other caminos. Anybody here has a 'less than 20km/day' itenarary from Lugo to Santiago (with affordable accommodation options?).

Many Muchas Gracias, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The weather forecast doesn't look too bad and I need to do something useful. So I am thinking of walking the Primitivo from Lugo - picking up rubbish along the way as I have done before on other caminos. Anybody here has a 'less than 20km/day' itenarary from Lugo to Santiago (with affordable accommodation options?).

Many Muchas Gracias, SY

No day-by-day walking list.

Green with envy.

Have a wonderful time.

Buen camino

Day 1: Lugo to San Romao de Retorta: 19 km
Day 2: San Romao to As Seixas: 13 km
Day 3: As Seixas to Melide: 14 km
Day 4: Melide to Arzúa: 14 km
Day 5: Arzúa to O Pedrouzo: 18 km
Day 6: Pedrouzo to SdC: 20 km

Albergues available at all the night-stops.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day 1: Lugo to San Romao de Retorta: 19 km
Day 2: San Romao to As Seixas: 13 km
Day 3: As Seixas to Melide: 14 km
Day 4: Melide to Arzúa: 14 km
Day 5: Arzúa to O Pedrouzo: 18 km
Day 6: Pedrouzo to SdC: 20 km

Albergues available at all the night-stops.

Perfecto! Many Muchas Gracias!
BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Now this makes me smile. How lovely to need something to do and to be able to head off to the Primitivo to do some ditching! Have a wonderful time. Thanks for everything that you do for those arriving and staying in Santiago. Your place is a haven for many!
Andrea

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Many Muchas Gracias, SY

Many thanks, SY! For all you do.

Sybille,

It is hard to picture you bored!

Buen camino peregrina.

Mike

You know, any of us can easily become a Ditch Pig. All you need to do is bring along a small supply of plastic bags. You can use the grocery bags from the local market, or bring your own supply of kitchen sized bin bags (25 - 45 liter) more or less.

I have even seen some pilgrims will bring a roll of doggie poop pick-up bags in the larger (big dog) size. This roll can be suspended from your rucksack using a wire tie, small bungee cord, stretch shoelace, or something similar. The benefit of doing this is that these usually dark green or black plastic backs can double for your sanitary use, if need be.

You pick up trash as you walk along, then deposit the filled bag at the next available dumpster / skip when the bag is full or you are ending for the evening. That is how the Ditch Pigs do it. Except with multiple two-person teams doing the picking, we deposit full, tied closed large bin bags along the senda and return using a motor vehicle to pick them up in one go.

One thing any of us can do to facilitate this, and not have to bend and stoop, is to obtain a folding grabber picker from your local DIY store or online. Here is what the "official Ditch Pigs" presently use:

I know because I have been donating them to Rebekah and Sybille. They carry easily in a rucksack side pocket.

This is how VNWalking carries hers. when she is on Camino. In this article in La Voz de Galicia she is interviewed and her Ditch Pig activities are mentioned. In the accompanying photo, you can see the tip of the folded grabber picker in her right-side rucksack pocket just over her right shoulder.

The Ditch Pigs formerly used a non-folding grabber picker which worked very well. But it did not travel as easily because it did not fold and was about 32" or 82 cm long.

Using one of these really saves your back and legs, not to mention your knees. I use one daily to pick up trash around the Pilgrim Office when I am there each summer. I can actually pick up a one Euro cent coin from a concrete surface... go figure...

I also have one that I use around my home to grab things in upper cabinets... I had 42" upper cabinets installed and use the extra space to store paper products. It works great.

Have a go... Leave the Camino a cleaner place than how you found it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your final 3 days are sure to be productive, regarding available trash to collect. :rolleyes:😇
I hope you aren't walking in snow.⛄
You are a true angel and like other comments, I can't imagine you being bored.
Have a great holiday season and a very Merry Christmas.
From sunny Florida

@t2andreo 's right.
If we all picked up a random 50 pieces of trash a day, the camino would probably not need the Ditch Pigs.

And to give credit where credit is due...the grabbers I took along with me this year were not mine, but loaners from him via @SYates. Another year I had regular tongs I borrowed from @Rebeckah Scott. They both worked great. But the foldable grabber thingys were a whole lot easier on my back.

Just to say...it's a happy thing to be a ditch pig, and leave the way cleaner than I found it. Though I do have to admit that I envy the camaraderie and cool vests that the 'real' ditch pigs have...

Meanwhile, @SYates, happy pigging! May you have a grand time out there! I fondly remember the laugh we had about the string of coke cans we found on the Ingles...

@t2andreo 's right.
If we all picked up a random 50 pieces of trash a day, the camino would probably not need the Ditch Pigs.

And to give credit where credit is due...the grabbers I took along with me this year were not mine, but loaners from him via @SYates. Another year I had regular tongs I borrowed from @Rebeckah Scott. They both worked great. But the foldable grabber thingys were a whole lot easier on my back.

Just to say...it's a happy thing to be a ditch pig, and leave the way cleaner than I found it. Though I do have to admit that I envy the camaraderie and cool vests that the 'real' ditch pigs have...

Meanwhile, @SYates, happy pigging! May you have a grand time out there! I fondly remember the laugh we had about the string of coke cans we found on the Ingles...
If we all did not drop any rubbish then ……..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, Mike...well, if only.
The thing is that there will always be people who do stupid things like dropping trash on the camino.
They won't clean up their messes. But I'm a lot happier about the world if I add to the cleanliness of it rather than grizzling about the inevitable idiots.

The Primitivo in October was surprisingly very clean.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back