• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am clueless and need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I want to move from one EU country and into Spain. I am sick and tired of corruption and differences between rich and "normal" people in my home home country. It has become a country for the rich, shi**ng on normal people with normal income. I am retired with a good pension. I need info on how to move into Spain from Norway. My country has changed for the worse, and I don't want to support it anymore. I have had enough of stupid politicians trying to limit my old age liberties,

I will be thankful for any assistance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Recent, and not so recent, political history in Spain has plenty of allegations of political incompetence, corruption and fraud and the degree of economic inequality is as marked as any other country in Europe.

Spend a year in the UK - you would wonder what you have to complain about.

Although with a ‘good’ pension in Norwegian terms I expect you could live very comfortably in Spain.

If you are within the EU just move. Pick a place you like, weatherwise, Caminowise or whatever suits, and decide if you want to rent or buy. One of my brothers bought a house in Spain and spends about 6 months there, he comes home for Christmas and in the summer when it gets too hot. My other brother winters there on long term lets which are great value. Good luck with your search Alex.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Alex, I utterly empathize (and agree with) your sentiments. But if you think Spain is much different, you're bound to be disappointed. Sadly, it's on the same planet and the trajectory is the same everywhere. The weather is definitely more comfortable, though.

Sorry, this is off topic and I know nothing about what you ask. Ivar might, though.

Bit confused here. Norway isn't in the EU. Is it your 'home country' (i.e. country of origin)? As for finding a country free from corruption and political ineptitude, your quest may prove to be a long and fruitless one. Sadly, it seems the nicest people often have the nastiest government.

I want to move from one EU country and into Spain. I am sick and tired of corruption and differences between rich and "normal" people in my home home country. It has become a country for the rich, shi**ng on normal people with normal income. I am retired with a good pension. I need info on how to move into Spain from Norway. My country has changed for the worse, and I don't want to support it anymore. I have had enough of stupid politicians trying to limit my old age liberties,

Alexwalker, Norway is not an EU country, and this forum is not for politics, is it?
😳Anyway you could just take your big pensione with you and start walking. If you do not want to come back for some months during the year, you might have to register and pay taxes in Spain. Hopefully Spanish politicians won´t limit your old age liberties.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

But @alexwalker , your country isn’t in the EU, is it? Or have I got it wrong?
Best would be to apply to the Spanish Consulate,

Err… Regarding you being sick of corruption etc…. I am French, living in England (dual nationality) and I can assure you it is no better in either countries!
My friends in Spain tell the same story! By all means move countries, I wish you the best but..don’t hope for much better! 🙁
PS: ok, the weather might be better 😉

Thank you all for your responses. My sentiment is that I do not want to support an obviously corrupt regime anymore. I am sick and tired of it, and want something more valuable, towards pilgrims who feel the same..I want to be free on the Camino: that is where I want to be: disconnected from the nasty world we have to live in.

Alexwalker, Norway is not an EU country, and this forum is not for politics, is it?
😳Anyway you could just take your big pensione with you and start walking. If you do not want to come back for some months during the year, you might have to register and pay taxes in Spain. Hopefully Spanish politicians won´t limit your old age liberties.
We are a EU country, for all practical purposes:We abide by all the EU regulations. unfortunately.

This is not a political post; It is a post about how to move to Spain from another EU country in a painless way. Do not make it political, please.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for your responses. My sentiment is that I do not want to support an obviously corrupt regime anymore. I am sick and tired of it, and want something more valuable, towards pilgrims who feel the same..I want to be free on the Camino: that is where I want to be: disconnected from the nasty world we have to live in.
I think that you could benefit from more sun in your life. Go to the sunniest country with a level of facilities and infrastructure consistent with your preferred lifestyle and which will let you in. Ignoring the politics.

Alex, there are different rules about moving inside EU than moving from a country outside.
Good luck! Hope you find it better in Spain!
Lots of Norwegian people do, perhaps because they bring their big pensions from Norway.
My advise: Keep to your Norwegian bank accounts. do not transfer your eventually savings to Spanish
´banks.

I have met pilgrims ( from South Korea) who had sold their house and went on to walk. They were both in their early fifties and realised they couldn’t have children any more. So they went!
This year I met a French couple (he was 70, she was 68) who also sold their house in France. They were just walking!!!
Some people just do it.
I cannot, I have four children, a husband and three grandchildren. But it is very tempting 😉
My advice is, do something crazy, walk to Jerusalem! from your doorstep.
It isn’t easy and especially nowadays (I did it in 2014) but it put me at peace with the world..
We are all so similar, we want the same….You’ll see that, if you walk it
It was the experience of a life time, try it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you Google questions like, "How to retire to Spain (or Portugal)," you will find information on the requirements each country has. If you have a reasonably sized retirement income, from what I've read, it seems likely you will be able to get a long term visa that might be convertible to a citizenship in another country. Other people have done this. From what I can tell, many foreign countries welcome people who can contribute money to their economy.

As others have said, you may find political issues and inequality wherever you move to these days, but on the other hand, you may be very much happier in a new country than in your country of origin.

The way I look at it, if you move to another country for a while and find that you were mistaken that it would be better for you, chances are that unless you've permanently changed your citizenship you can always go back to where you came from. But as with all things in life, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so you will never know for sure unless you make the move and check things out for yourself.

Best wishes to you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
PS. That link will take you to a consulting firm who can do the applications - i would think that’s unnecessary but it’s useful for a summary of the requirements.

I’m sure if you Google - Spain Non Lucrative Residence Visa, you will end up eventually on the correct government site. All the best.

No dog in this fight but i sincerely hope you find your place of freedom. Where your spirit feels free as well as freedom from living under a cloud.
I dont think we are ever well and truely free, we just make the compremises to live within the confines and conventions.

I just met a Kiwi who bought a school bus and converted it to a comfy place to home.
I encouraged him as I would any to go onto the road...unfettered by fear.

I did years ago and do not regret being a nomad.
Those years are gone and my steps no longer light
The beauty i found from living according to my standards and conventions have become flowers pressed in a book not yet fully written.

I found my freedom.."out there" and among the company of kindreds? A greater peace within.

To live in society..yet ever apart..never a part of...because ive felt and seen too much of that freedom is a necessary darkness.
I'd rather live free than a slave to conventions.

Go find your freedom..go before your sap is dry and the cold is outside every door.

No dog in this fight but i sincerely hope you find your place of freedom. Where your spirit feels free as well as freedom from living under a cloud.
I dont think we are ever well and truely free, we just make the compremises to live within the confines and conventions.

I just met a Kiwi who bought a school bus and converted it to a comfy place to home.

The beauty i found from living according to my standards and conventions have become flowers pressed in a book not yet fully written.

I found my freedom.."out there" and among the company of kindreds? A greater peace within.

To live in society..yet ever apart..never a part of...because ive felt and seen too much of that freedom is a necessary darkness.
I'd rather live free than a slave to conventions.

Go find your freedom..go before your sap is dry and the cold is outside every door.
Inspirational. Thank you.

I am seriously tired of the stupid ideological political idiots, and I need some change, for healing of personal rest.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have lived in a school bus converted to a comfy home for nearly 4 years in the late 70's, while traveling in a commune; long before Youtube's tiny home craze and minimalistic living. It was a season in my life and holds treasured memories; one being the birth of my youngest son. "Boy born in bus" is a paper he later wrote in grade school.

disconnected from the nasty world we have to live in.
Sadly, it seems the nicest people often have the nastiest government.
I can attest to what Dick says, living now in a place with a 'regime.' But there is actually no escape. No matter where we go, there are stupid corrupt idealogues. That's not political, that's just human nature.
I am seriously tired of the stupid ideological political idiots, and I need some change, for healing of personal rest.
Alex, right now can you head South for a long long walk where it's not freezing cold and the sun is shining? Take those links @jenny@zen posted, and head to Spain. Keep your eyes open for opportunity, maybe visit Castrojerez and Sr.Yagüez and his shop, and just walk. At the end have a word with Ivar, who's done what you aim to do and would have more practical information than all of us put together.

Hang in there, peregrino. The world does suck sometimes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.