• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am doing it my way or so i thought

Agnogel

A very great full pilgrim
Good evening fellow pilgrims
I have stated i will be walking the Camino Frances on the 27th of August this year flight is booked and so is the first stop in Orrison, I also stated in another tread that i am not a walker per say but i set myself a goal last November to walk the camino after getting the call 36 years ago when i was in Santiagio on a one day business trip. Its a long story but life just got in the way getting married, buying a home, and raising a family, Since November i have been mostly training with small walks around my home town to a distance of 4kms and the odd longish walk in the country at the weekends. When i started i would be lucky to reach 300/400 meters but have gradually stretched my distance, The weather has not been good here since the new year with heavy rain and very strong winds most days ,Last weekend i walked the canal tow path in the poring rain for 8kms my small dog Nuby was not impressed to be getting another bath when we arrived home covered in mud (both of us) , Today we walked in good sunshine part of Saint Kevins Way over the Wicklow mountains that are about 20km from my home this is also a very old pilgrimage route to the mountain retreat of Glendalough
http://www.megalithicireland.com/Glendalough Monastic.html
The way is also marked by sign and posts with a small yellow pilgrim with staff and a yellow arrow with a cross insert, As the walk is over mountain terrain up hill and down i had a friend who lives near by arranged to collect us (the dog and I ) at the end of one of the stages i guess about 4.5kms when i went to make the return phone call to be collected there was no phone reception so we started back up the hill untill such time i would get to make the call, One step led to another and so on untill we arrived back at our starting point, I checked the distance on the view ranger phone app i down loaded after reading posts on the forum and it stated 11.3kms WOW i have never walked anything like that distance in my life it just goes to show St James can work his miracles ( he may have just blocked the phone reception) on any journey in order for us to reach Santiagio. Roll on next week
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have stated i will be walking the Camino Frances on the 27th of August this year flight is booked and so is the first stop in Orrison, I also stated in another tread that i am not a walker per say but i set myself a goal last November to walk the camino after getting the call 36 years ago when i was in Santiagio on a one day business trip. Its a long story but life just got in the way getting married, buying a home, and raising a family, Since November i have been mostly training with small walks around my home town to a distance of 4kms and the odd longish walk in the country at the weekends. When i started i would be lucky to reach 300/400 meters but have gradually stretched my distance, The weather has not been good here since the new year with heavy rain and very strong winds most days ,Last weekend i walked the canal tow path in the poring rain for 8kms my small dog Nuby was not impressed to be getting another bath when we arrived home covered in mud (both of us) , Today we walked in good sunshine part of Saint Kevins Way over the Wicklow mountains that are about 20km from my home this is also a very old pilgrimage route to the mountain retreat of Glendalough
The way is also marked by sign and posts with a small yellow pilgrim with staff and a yellow arrow with a cross insert, As the walk is over mountain terrain up hill and down i had a friend who lives near by arranged to collect us (the dog and I ) at the end of one of the stages i guess about 4.5kms when i went to make the return phone call to be collected there was no phone reception so we started back up the hill untill such time i would get to make the call, One step led to another and so on untill we arrived back at our starting point, I checked the distance on the view ranger phone app i down loaded after reading posts on the forum and it stated 11.3kms WOW i have never walked anything like that distance in my life it just goes to show St James can work his miracles ( he may have just blocked the phone reception) on any journey in order for us to reach Santiagio. Roll on next week
Buen Camino
We too will be on the camino this summer, starting just 3 days before you. Maybe we will meet you along the way :) Buen Camino

We too will be on the camino this summer, starting just 3 days before you. Maybe we will meet you along the way :) Buen Camino
Hi Maggy i went to book my flight for the 24th but it was sold out and the next one is the 27th, There will be no fear of me getting to Santiagio before you at the pace i walk i have allowed 40 days and have the option of extending it if need be as i have no return flight booked untill i see how i get on but strange thinks happen on the camino so i am told we may just cross paths indeed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Maggy i went to book my flight for the 24th but it was sold out and the next one is the 27th, There will be no fear of me getting to Santiagio before you at the pace i walk i have allowed 40 days and have the option of extending it if need be as i have no return flight booked untill i see how i get on but strange thinks happen on the camino so i am told we may just cross paths indeed.
Yes you will find that the first few days will take their toll. Start out with short days and increase as you get your Camino legs. Buen Camino!!;)

Buen Camino

Well done with your training, and yes, I quite believe in miracles! If I walked 8oo kms last year, anyone can! I wasn't the fittest person, but like you I walked for three months before and it all prepares you. It's still difficult mind you, what with walking almost every day, but like Al and Mike say, the legs get used to it eventually. I love your photo! Good luck and buen camino! My hubby wants to do the camino this year, so we might see you along the way!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The key for me was not focusing on how far it is to Santiago, but rather how far it was to my planned stop for that day. In between, as I walked I focused on some landmark along the road or trail -- some as close as 100 or 200 meters -- and not on the 10, 15, or 20 km to the stop for the day. In other words, I just needed to get to that crossroads ahead, or that cluster of trees. Then I looked for the next landmark, and so on. That way I had a series of very doable goals and didn't get discouraged by the big picture. This works for training as well as for the Camino itself.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Hi Jim
You know i found my self doing just what you disscribe mostly on the return journey the start was a long incline to the top and the decent was shorter but on the return the decent became a good climb that i passed by focusing on the next tree or the brow of a hill etc etc and before i knew it we were over the worst but what threw me was the long walk back down the first hill i was amazed how far i walked up it with ease, I have tried to make the longish walks a different route every time and one i dont know what lies ahead just to keep it interesting.
Thank You and all the other members for posting there experiences.

Buen Camino. You have a good attitude.
Annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi - nice to see a picture of the Irish countryside. I agree with the above comments about goals you can see (sometimes even the shadow cast by a small bush 20 feet up the path, other times the next village church spire peeking out over the hill) - always one foot in front of the other, and then you're there. Keep walking, and don't forget to put some time in on country roads like the one in your picture, because you will be walking on those hard surfaces quite a bit of the time, and I found those to be the most fatigue-inducing or hurtful to my legs and feet. By the way, we have done a lot of walking in West Cork as my father lived in Schull. I did the camino in his honor. Buen camino - Cherry

Another week has passed so that means i am a little closer to walking the camino in August.
In order to keep the weekend walks a little different i am trying a new venue every week. This week is the turn of Bray Head and the cliff walk along the coast to Graystones, http://www.wicklowwalks.com/bray-cliff-walk
The seaside town of Bray is about 40 miles from my home my self and my dog Nuby often take a ride out to here on our motorcycle in the summer months and sometimes we treat ourselves to the best fish and chips in the whole of Ireland sold at a little shop run by Mary most of her life located on the seafront. The walk up the mountain is quiet steep that goes through some scrub and small woodland , It has a large cross on the top and is a favorite climb by visitors to the town. On reaching the top it has fantastic views over the town and country side some say on a clear day you can see the coast of Wales in the UK, We met with another walker by the name of Eamon who hikes this coast often we got chatting and i told him of my planned walk on the camino while he has not walked it him self he knows of many members of his walking club who has, We walked the upper cliff route to just short of Graystones and returned on the lower cliff walk back to Bray with a distance of 10 kms, On the link posted above is the map of the walk on the lower side but you can see the higher trail that runs parallel along the cliff top. As i posted before i find the country side walks to be easy on the legs and knees compared to walking ashpelt and concrete, I will update my training as we go as it may help other members with there walks because believe me if i can do this any one can. The pic is the mountain from the sea front

20140209_112041.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Aaaah David you have brought me back, I lived in Bray for nearly twelve years in the 80's. It was a great place to live then, my wife loves the sea and I love the mountains so it was just perfect. Its a great place to train for the Camino as some of the local walks are similar to the toughest you will face . Enjoy you training and Buen Camino.

Nice part of the world it seems. I live in the west of ireland now and it is a lovely place with lots of hikes and walks to do. We havent visited the east of the country much but will get there at some stage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.