• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

I am happy!

domigee

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 CF
Starting a new journey, a new adventure, a new pilgrimage..... I'm scared too. Will I manage , will I have enough time etc etc
Elated though. I feel so lucky to be able to try it. It isn't quite as scary as walking to Jerusalem but close....ish.
From the Alps to Rome, hopefully.
And I will soooo miss Spain and especially the Camino francés.
But there's always next year ;)

Ultreia to all new starters! Wherever your camino leads you :) You never know where those first steps may take you :cool:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@domigee --What a wonderful adventure you are undertaking! I'm glad you shared it with us. I was just remembering today flying into Bangkok in the mid nineties, and backpacking all over SE Asia. We hiked, climbed into active volcanoes in Indonesia, walked the DMZ from Laos into Vietnam, and spent time in a hill tribe in N. Thailand. Then, we travelled into P Penh from Ho Chi Minh City, and settled on the southern coast of Cambodia, then Phnom Penh. We lived in Cambodia for eight years.

Europe is so easy in comparison, but it is also so rich in culture and history, and often the climate is so much easier than SE Asia was. I am going to go look at a map, and try to figure out what your route will be!

I really am so grateful for my travels, and I am glad to know of yours too.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@domigee --What a wonderful adventure you are undertaking! I'm glad you shared it with us. I was just remembering today flying into Bangkok in the mid nineties, and backpacking all over SE Asia. We hiked, climbed into active volcanoes in Indonesia, walked the DMZ from Laos into Vietnam, and spent time in a hill tribe in N. Thailand. Then, we travelled into P Penh from Ho Chi Minh City, and settled on the southern coast of Cambodia, then Phnom Penh. We lived in Cambodia for eight years.

Europe is so easy in comparison, but it is also so rich in culture and history, and often the climate is so much easier than SE Asia was. I am going to go look at a map, and try to figure out what your route will be!

I really am so grateful for my travels, and I am glad to know of yours too.

Buen Camino.
Hi @CaminoDebrita ! Likewise, I'll look at my atlas to see your whereabouts, in awe! Wow!
Nothing that exotic or demanding for me, it's the Via Francigena, should be called the Via Sigeric really. It goes from Canterbury (Uk) to Rome.
Walked the first part of it 3 years ago, now catching up with the rest (before I'm too old :eek:) .
Thank you for your good wishes.
D :)

Hi @CaminoDebrita ! Likewise, I'll look at my atlas to see your whereabouts, in awe! Wow!
Nothing that exotic or demanding for me, it's the Via Francigena, should be called the Via Sigeric really. It goes from Canterbury (Uk) to Rome.
Walked the first part of it 3 years ago, now catching up with the rest (before I'm too old :eek:) .
Thank you for your good wishes.
D :)

I am exceptionally glad to be back in the Pacific Northwest now. I was in Cambodia in December to take part in my ex-husband's funeral services, and event that lasted for three days. Here in Oregon, I do a lot of hiking, biking, and outdoor activities. For now, I'm working full-time and saving money for a trip to France and Spain in September and October.

I would love to go to Europe and just spend six months traveling around. I'm interested in going to Dover, as I had ancestors there. I visited my ancestral Scotland last fall. Lovely walk on the W. Highland Way.

All that said, I have been in love with Spain for many long years. I do have about 10% Iberian Peninsula DNA, and some very attractive dark relatives!

I am always interested in your journeys. Please post as much as possible.

Deb

I walked to Dover (in the rain) following the North Down way and got lost, trying to avoid fields with too many cows :rolleyes::D Ended up ankle deep in mud and washed my feet in the ferry washroom. Got funny looks!
Oh the memories :D
I remember your telling of your trip to Scotland. Nice! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know people who brag about never having left their county!:eek: What are they thinking? It's like going to the grocery store and walking all the aisles then getting the same box of crackers and cheese-whiz, every day, for the rest of your life.
Keep walking, Domigee, go explore and discover and enjoy. Feet are for walking. The world is here for us to enjoy.
Cheese Whiz is only good as trout bait (it works!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have a wonderful journey and let us know how it goes. I will be starting the Via Francigena at Canterbury in July, but I will only have enough time to get as far as Arras. For next year, I am thinking about doing some of the Italian sections, so any information that you can pass along will be gratefully received. Buen Camino, Bon Chemin, plus whatever the Italian equivalent might be!

Have a wonderful journey and let us know how it goes. I will be starting the Via Francigena at Canterbury in July, but I will only have enough time to get as far as Arras. For next year, I am thinking about doing some of the Italian sections, so any information that you can pass along will be gratefully received. Buen Camino, Bon Chemin, plus whatever the Italian equivalent might be!
Hi Doogman,
Thank you and all the best for your journey, too.
Unless things have changed since 2014, it was often quite difficult to find food or places to eat on the French section of the VF. When you book accommodation, I recommend you ask if they can provide a meal or if there is a place to eat or a supermarket locally. Also make sure they know you are on foot or they may send you to a place many kilometres away!
Should you run out of water, there is always a tap with drinkable water in ...cemetaries, of all places!
I loved Arras btw , had a lovely meal at 'Le Bureau' ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Doogman,
Thank you and all the best for your journey, too.
Unless things have changed since 2014, it was often quite difficult to find food or places to eat on the French section of the VF. When you book accommodation, I recommend you ask if they can provide a meal or if there is a place to eat or a supermarket locally. Also make sure they know you are on foot or they may send you to a place many kilometres away!
Should you run out of water, there is always a tap with drinkable water in ...cemetaries, of all places!
I loved Arras btw , had a lovely meal at 'Le Bureau' ;)

Thanks for the advice. All the best!

From what I've read, you've done the hard (and less interesting) bit so the rest should be wonderful!
Are you using a paper guidebook or relying on online information? There seems to be some very complete info online. I currently have the Lightfoot and Cicerone guides from the library - the Lightfoot especially has good maps, but they are OH SO big and heavy!

From what I've read, you've done the hard (and less interesting) bit so the rest should be wonderful!
Are you using a paper guidebook or relying on online information? There seems to be some very complete info online. I currently have the Lightfoot and Cicerone guides from the library - the Lightfoot especially has good maps, but they are OH SO big and heavy!

Hi Kiwi-family! I have both the Cicerone and the Lightfoot guides but the latter as e-books. I won't be taking the Cicerone this time, I've just bought the 'official' guidebook by Roberta Ferraris. It's about the size of the Brierley.
The main problems I foresee will be the heat at that time of year, probably and also the fact that I have to be back at a set time. But hey ho. As you know, nothing is ever quite what you expected. After all, I set out for my first camino francés thinking I would be completely alone for four weeks :D:D:rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know people who brag about never having left their county!:eek: What are they thinking? It's like going to the grocery store and walking all the aisles then getting the same box of crackers and cheese-whiz, every day, for the rest of your life.

:D I love it ! ..... being on the road / outside comfort zone / having adventures is LIVING :cool:

Back