• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am leaving. Not Forum just yet, but Camino.

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - we have shared so many things over the years, sadnesses, joys, absurd humour, information to newbies - thank you SO much for all of that!! ... but I am late 72 now and will soon be 73 .. I have been going to Camino to do first aid and to offer pastoral care and to hopefully save lives (though only one I know for certain) since 2006 but I find that I now see this as the end of these things, the final bookend end of these things.

Sure, there will be vaccines, of course, but I ask myself when the Camino will be crowded again, and also when those new pilgrims will be willing to allow an unknown stranger to physically touch them to give first aid or put an arm around their shoulders and hug them so that they can cry in safety without embarrassment or guilt ..

If we get going properly by 2022 I will then be 74 .... I have been doing it so many years, so many years now .... so I have decided to not just 'wait and see' but to close things down. Many of you will know that I have an Ebay store that sells pilgrim items, the profits paying for my first aid supplies - well (Ivar, this is not an advert!) I have now put everything on sale, and will sell it all, nothing higher than £3 - anything left I will take to my local Catholic charity shop and give it all away.
I will sell off my unused first aid items such as the many new knee braces I have (you can't have too many knee braces!! ;)) and my first aid bags.
I will sell the lightweight aluminium hiking trailer that I designed and built.

So, for me, this is the end of Camino, this is the end of 14 years of first aid and pastoral care - we have a global plague and even when borders do open again I will not go to Spain early, if at all.

Maybe, sometime in the future I will get that urge again but if I do I shall go as a simple pilgrim with a very light backpack and first aid kit (a small one), anonymous - but, you know, I don't think I will.

I will stay with the forum a while longer perhaps. It is so quiet now - I have tried to enliven it with humorous content now and again, but it is soooo quiet, and, to be fair, so many of our veteran members have gone, some have just chosen to leave, or are too ill to stay -. oh dear, it is all so sad.

Anyway - I just wanted to let those who know me of my intentions ... they are mine, personal thoughts ... but, for me, I see the world, I see me, and Camino first aid, pastoral care? That has to be gone now.

Buen Camino all! (but don't be surprised if a funny post appears from me :)).

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You have given so much to so many @David. Both on Camino and here. 🙏
Not a bad idea to put your feet up for a while ;)

I still look forward to sharing a few glasses of Vinto Tinto at some stage and sharing stories long into the night :) It will happen one day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I suspect there are precious few people on this forum (or perhaps even in the world) who have not been impacted in some way this year by a thing we hadn’t even heard of this time last year. I wish you well as you continue your journey David and thank you for the advice you gave me about trailers. I had really been hoping to bump into you this year and have a wee trial run with your machine, but it was not to be.
Where can we find your shop if we wish to support you on your way?

I am so sorry to hear that you will not be walking the Camino again. But I am happy that you will not be leaving the forum, You have been very helpful to me, and to so many members of the Forum and pilgrims on the trail. You will be missed on the trail.

Last edited:
Oh, David, you have been a living, breathing real Camino Angel to so many. I am saddened to read this, but I thank you for sharing so we can know why you may not be around much. I am disappointed, but I understand and wish you happiness in whatever adventures you decide to pursue closer to home.
I have enjoyed your video interviews with Robo, too...just saying.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hang in there, David.
You are still quite young by Camino standards. I was 70+ when I walked my first Camino...and that was many years ago.
It is difficult to maintain much enthusiasm for walking and serving along the routes with all of the negative and depressing events we are enduring.
But...Hang in there, David.:cool: 👍

David,

The camino forum has become sanctuary.

It’s inhabitants within offer so much solace.

If you go that’s one less peace giver in an ever maddening world.

Only you know what’s best for self.

Buen camino whatever life route on which you wish to amble.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
David
Sad to read but I’m with @grayland
Hang in there, David.
You are still quite young by Camino standards. I was 70+ when I walked my first Camino.

If you go that’s one less peace giver in an ever maddening world.
If I understand your msg correctly - I think you still mean to be around on the forum - I hope so.

with respect to taking your trailer to Spain. I guess we all have to decide how much we can physically do and be safe too. Stay strong. I hope to meet you along the way(enjoying a slow walk yourself ) when it’s safe to travel.
Buen camino

Oh gosh, David - you’re going to be missed on the Camino! If circumstances had been different next year, being a Holy Year, would have seen so many more pilgrims needing your first aid help and your pastoral care.

It’s been a pretty big 14 years for you on the Camino - does it ever leave you? I don’t know ... what will you think of when you see a yellow arrow sprayed on tarmac? Here in Oz it usually denotes road and footpath repairs but for us pilgrims, with the Camino on our mental and emotional radars, it means so much more - and always will do.

You’ve been a Camino Angel to countless pilgrims over those 14 years - both in person and here on the Forum. I hope you don’t mind me posting a photo of you and a Swedish pilgrim, who you went to extraordinary lengths to help, which I took in 2015 when I accompanied you on one of your first aid caminos - your angel’s wings aren’t visible in the photo but they’re there!

6261FE73-11E4-4EE4-9172-716E83421098.jpeg
Best, best wishes from Oz -
Jenny

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@David, after 14 years I can understand your decision about your first responder activity.

Like others who first caminoed at later ages, my real first was from Le Puy aged 74. And in 2022 when I now hope to complete Canterbury to Rome I will be 80.

As you know there are many pilgrimages in Scotland, Wales and err, um, where your knowledge and skill may be needed (even without all the gear you pack).

To recognise this stage for you, I echo Her Majesty and say kia kaha, kia mā'ia, kia mana'wa'nui (be strong, confident and patient).

Hi @David - life is full of unexpected turns but this pandemic and events around it take me way outside my imagined life experiences. It feels like I am hanging on to the tigers tail, and that does not give much opportunity for any future planning. Still, I have hope that eventually the tiger will grow tired and I will regain some control over my life. If the opportunity is there I will be back in Spain, walking again. When I am, I hope there will be opportunities to meet up with you and other forum members, to share joy and laughter, truths and tears. When that happens I will be truly grateful.

I hope you find a window to walk a Camino path without any first aid obligations - as you say, with a small pack and no burdens, to take time for yourself, to meet people and be able to stay with them or not, to satisfy that inner drive to keep walking to the end. And repeat!

Just "Wow!", David...

I read your post and, in my mind's eye, I saw a library and hospital burning down simultaneously. A HUGE loss!

However, your decision is totally understandable.

Though your physical touch may be beyond pilgrim's reach from here forward, perhaps you could entertain and inform us here on the Forum for just a bit longer? Just a thought...no pressure!

Thank you for your contributions of health and humor to the pilgrim community.

Go with your Creator, wherever He leads you.

Deepest respect and warmest regards,

B

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all - we have shared so many things over the years, sadnesses, joys, absurd humour, information to newbies - thank you SO much for all of that!! ... but I am late 72 now and will soon be 73 .. I have been going to Camino to do first aid and to offer pastoral care and to hopefully save lives (though only one I know for certain) since 2006 but I find that I now see this as the end of these things, the final bookend end of these things.

Sure, there will be vaccines, of course, but I ask myself when the Camino will be crowded again, and also when those new pilgrims will be willing to allow an unknown stranger to physically touch them to give first aid or put an arm around their shoulders and hug them so that they can cry in safety without embarrassment or guilt ..

If we get going properly by 2022 I will then be 74 .... I have been doing it so many years, so many years now .... so I have decided to not just 'wait and see' but to close things down. Many of you will know that I have an Ebay store that sells pilgrim items, the profits paying for my first aid supplies - well (Ivar, this is not an advert!) I have now put everything on sale, and will sell it all, nothing higher than £3 - anything left I will take to my local Catholic charity shop and give it all away.
I will sell off my unused first aid items such as the many new knee braces I have (you can't have too many knee braces!! ;)) and my first aid bags.

So, for me, this is the end of Camino, this is the end of 14 years of first aid and pastoral care - we have a global plague and even when borders do open again I will not go to Spain early, if at all.

Maybe, sometime in the future I will get that urge again but if I do I shall go as a simple pilgrim with a very light backpack and first aid kit (a small one), anonymous - but, you know, I don't think I will.

I will stay with the forum a while longer perhaps. It is so quiet now - I have tried to enliven it with humorous content now and again, but it is soooo quiet, and, to be fair, so many of our veteran members have gone, either banned for breaking rules that we aren't aware of, or they have just chosen to leave, or are too ill to stay -. oh dear, it is all so sad.

Anyway - I just wanted to let those who know me of my intentions ... they are mine, personal thoughts ... but, for me, I see the world, I see me, and Camino first aid, pastoral care? That has to be gone now.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Missing you already, David!
Take care and Buen Camino!

Not being a Gambling man, but I will predict that in 2024, when you are still a 'young lad' of 76 and I am a mere 'boy' at 66, we shall be meeting up on a Camino somewhere. Either that...........or.............

I know where you live..... :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi David - I'm still (patiently) waiting for the wisdom of the ages but I can share some wise words written in the not too distant past... "So - dear friends, fellow pilgrims - veteran or virgin - let us keep posting, keep asking questions, keep giving advice, about equipment, fears, possibilities, and keep using Ivar's shop outlet, throughout these grim and dark times, so that when this dark time has passed and all becomes clear again that Ivar and this forum isn't one of the casualties of what will definitely be a global economic disaster - just saying, just my point of view ...". They were wonderful words then as they still are today. I hope they will inspire you as they did me.
Hope to see you soon... Jordon.

David, I'm at a loss for words. This is a huge decision. You know yourself and no doubt have taken much under consideration. So while my hopes follow what @grayland and @OzAnnie have said, I will just offer a very heartfelt buen solitary camino whenever you manage that.

In the meantime, I am very glad you are still here. Long may that last!

The quiet of the Forum may mirror the kinds of threads we follow. I'm finding it quite active, with virtual caminos, photo threads, and a handful of very active group chats going in the background. If anything this has deepened relationships here, for which I'm very grateful.

David, we who are reading your post must respect your message. I have just read every word, and all the responses. What a source of comfort to you, I hazard a guess - and fittingly so, given the comfort and support you have freely given over the years. Now is now, do what you must, and let the future mind itself. Thank you for all you have given.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can only quote the wise words of the Ancient Ones (Don Henley and Glenn Frey):

"You can check-out any time you like but you can never leave"

May the gratitude of others lighten your pack.

Buen Camino, Peregrino.

Last edited:
Sorry to see you leave (?), but you must do what you must do. Everything changes over time, sometimes slowly and gradually, sometimes faster like in these turbulent times. This forum is no exception.

I hope you find something else to keep you going mentally and physically, I wish you all the best and

Buen Camino

Hi David. Although our paths never crossed on the camino, I remember with affection that evening back in 2013 in Worle when I drank too much wine with you and @JohnMcM.
I have always read your posts with interest and thank you for all you have given to the pilgrim community. Hopefully we’ll be seeing you here on the forum for some time to come. And if you are still in the area and fancy a socially distanced walk some time, just say the word.
Buen camino, Maggie

I will stay with the forum a while longer perhaps. It is so quiet now - I have tried to enliven it with humorous content now and again, but it is soooo quiet, and, to be fair, so many of our veteran members have gone, either banned for breaking rules that we weren't aware of (aware they were doing it, I mean), or they have just chosen to leave, or are too ill to stay -. oh dear, it is all so sad.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Ah David this post brought tears to my eyes and a deep sadness to my heart. I won’t try to convince you not to give up hope or that 74 is not old.....ok I’ll try a bit.....my 90 year old mom still has it in her to walk everyday, I meet for a covid safe walk almost weekly with a 78 year old pilgrim in Ottawa who continues to plan (w me) future Caminos and I’ve met 86 year olds on the Camino. However, I do understand your decision. Buen Camino, I’ll keep you in my prayers, stay safe, it will be nice to hear on this forum an update and I thank you so very very much for your service to the Camino. ❤️🙏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kudos, to you David, for knowing yourself enough to make your necessary choices, however that looks going forward. This pandemic has forced all of us to look at our lives more closely. I also am struggling with where my direction lies, relating to the Camino. But I am just a young lass, at 62, and hopefully will be a walker for many years, long after the pandemic passes.

Thank you for your participation here, for your service to the community, and your sense of humor. Maybe one day, we will meet. Happy trails to you!
Elle

I will stay with the forum a while longer perhaps. It is so quiet now - I have tried to enliven it with humorous content now and again, but it is soooo quiet, and, to be fair, so many of our veteran members have gone, either banned for breaking rules that we weren't aware of (aware they were doing it, I mean), or they have just chosen to leave, or are too ill to stay -. oh dear, it is all so sad.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Hi David, I have been touched by your message, as many of us have. Your stoic contribution to the Camino de Santiago pilgrim community will forever be a legend that lives long in the hearts of the pilgrim souls that have had the pleasure of meeting you or to have read your words of gentle wisdom here on the forum.

I believe the forum here is a kind of Camino Family, where we are all here to listen to each other and share the love. Ok, now and again there is a spat or tit for tat thing, but luckily it doesn't last long and they are few and far between.

Suggestion: if you are missing the Camino in the first few years of abstinance, then you could get a bunk bed with plastic covered mattress to use for afternoon siesta....

Ah David this post brought tears to my eyes and a deep sadness to my heart. I won’t try to convince you not to give up hope or that 74 is not old.....ok I’ll try a bit.....my 90 year old mom still has it in her to walk everyday, I meet for a covid safe walk almost weekly with a 78 year old pilgrim in Ottawa who continues to plan (w me) future Caminos and I’ve met 86 year olds on the Camino. However, I do understand your decision. Buen Camino, I’ll keep you in my prayers, stay safe, it will be nice to hear on this forum an update and I thank you so very very much for your service to the Camino. ❤️🙏

Thank you - I am with Elle Bieling on this, we need to face the world as it is, not as how we want it to be ... it is not really an age thing except that I could be three years older before it all sorts itself out - but, there are other factors I didn't mention but will now as it may make my decision more 'reasonable' - I am booked for an op when I get to the top of the list which will keep me at home for a while, my second hernia op, should be 100% afterwards but you just cannot tell, also, I now have early arthritis in my left thumb which makes it really difficult to do precise first aid - I am left handed and even find it difficult to hold my fountain pen for longer than a couple of minutes. My damaged knee from a trauma when young has chosen to deteriorate in the past year and I am concerned that this may preclude me from walking long distances anymore - and, to be honest, fourteen years is a long time to be going to the Camino twice a year - it is costly and I just cannot afford the £500 a go anymore - and the shop only covered first aid supplies -

- so - I am standing on the top of that hill, at dawn, looking clearly at the world and also looking inwards to the me that is me and making new choices - I am pruning old branches to allow new growth in new directions - all is well. But thank you, thank you all - ♥️

and I am wondering what joke image to post up next!! ;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This makes me sad too, David, though I never met you in real life. I've always enjoyed your posts and hope to see more down the line. You have taught me a lot, not just how to happily experience the Camino, but you've taught me a lot about living well and truly.

I'm about to turn 72 and am in good health and keep on walking a lot locally. But I have to wonder if I'll be able to still enjoy walking Caminos when it's viable again. And wondering what that might look like.

Blessings to you, I hope you do keep up with this forum!!

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
David, I have never met you, but I have admired what you have been doing on the camino and I have enjoyed learning from your posts on the forum. Thank you for being a pilgrim and an angel.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh David. I don’t know whether you remember me-you have served so many pilgrims over the years in your mission that you may well not. But I met you in Pamplona in fall of 2015, and you kindly offered me a ride to Roncesvalles (along with Jenny Heesh, who joined you in your pilgrim care for a bit.) You were my first experience with “Camino magic” on what would become, as for many of us, the most meaningful experience of my life. I have no doubt that wherever your path leads, it will be a true path guided by love. And I hope that you know, beyond all measure, what your service and generosity has meant to pilgrims on the path to Saint James, and how you have inspired us all. Much love to you, and wishing you all the best always.

Roni

32B0C9CE-2CE7-4372-8386-658320757FFD.jpeg

Hi, @David , I respect your decision. I am happy that our paths have crossed, both on the Way as well as in SdC, and that we have had a couple of moments with that. Maybe we will see each other again in SdC? I will pick up the bill for tapas & wine at Do Bispo in SdC for us anytime. Standing invitation.

Meanwhile, stick to the forum: Old pilgrims never die; they stay on the forum to help the newbies :cool:

All the best to your upcoming medical issues. CU, mate.

Last edited:
I love reading all of these wonderful well wishes to @David! They truly represent one of the special things I appreciate and love about this forum. Not everything is only about the logistics of camino routes, our gear choices/opinions and now covid. Relationships developed through this forum are important as well, and have provided some long lasting friendships, virtual or otherwise, for some of us. This thread and the many lovely replies are a testimony to that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I respect your decision to leave the Camino behind, but I hope that you will postpone your contemplated departure from this forum. I haven't met you on or off the Camino, and have not needed your practical skills, but I have benefited from your wise and humane contributions to numerous threads. Very best wishes @David for the success of your surgery and for an active retirement in some other walk of life

This is a loss that will be felt by many but, judging by our own experiences with David, will likely lead to blessings that will be felt by many in whatever he chooses to take up. We look forward to your continued participation here, for however long it lasts.

Buen camino, wherever you find yourself walking!

I'm sorry I never met you David - but your posts have been very much appreciated. One can never have too much knowledge!
Hopefully, on a year or two, all the stars will align for you health and money wise and you'll suddenly get the urge to Camino again.
If that happens and if I see you sitting on a chair somewhere, if I'm not already limping, I will suddenly be limping by you very badly, hoping for a chance to say Hi! :)
All the best to you and thank you for your cheerful and informative posts of the past. Hope they continue in the future as well.
Graham

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear David,
I was so sad to read this and I'm sure I'm speaking for past and future pilgrims as well
It must have been a hard decision for you as well...but so be it....and maybe never say never
Life for so many though will never be the same again

We had arranged to meet you in June 2017 for a chat and a glass (bottle) of vino tinto but we never made it as Charlie sustained a DVT and pulmonary embolis on the way to Roncessvelles and we had to return home
It is a shame that we never got the chance again to meet

You are a good person and you have helped so many on their journey
You will not be forgotten, and reading all the tributes to you shows how much appreciated you are and have been in the past
Please, however keep up those humorous posts
Best wishes
Annette

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
We never met. But you are aware that I like so many others hold great affection for you, your contributions to this forum, giving generously of your considerable knowledge and advice. Thank you. This pandemic has changed our lives so much. For those of us lucky enough to have walked the Camino I think we have gained some gifts and skills to deal with its impact on our lives. For me it was acceptance. With acceptance comes peace. And that is what I wish for you David. Buen Camino

@David I appreciate you sharing your intentions. Some veteran members I have enjoyed following have faded away unannounced. Some may have violated rules, others lost interest and moved on, or worst case have fallen ill. I am glad your case is not the latter!

I just want to say THANK YOU!🙏 You inspired me with your first aid to carry a much larger first aid kit than I personally needed. Luckily it has always been lighter after the first week or so. 😂 It was gratifying for me to be able to help some pilgrims along the way. I can only imagine the gratitude you must feel after all those years.

Acceptance can be difficult, but you are accepting with eyes wide open and leading by example. Thanks for another lesson!🙏

¡Nunca dejes de creer!🙏👣:D😎

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola @caminoresearcher Hello Roni - how fantastic to see this photo (again). David and I have aged more than a little.
It was so interesting to talk to you on the train from Madrid. Jenny and I often wondered how your masters project transpired. Best wishes.

Hola @David My dear Amigo, Jenny has kept me and other Sydney Pilgrims up to date with some of your comings & goings, particularly your recent, difficult, decision to close down the "shop".
I am in a similar boat to you about whether I will ever walk another camino. As you are aware, my circumstances are that I will require an effective vaccine to become available before I can travel (virtually) anywhere outside of Oz.
As Jenny said your strength, your wise council and of course your friendship will be missed by many pilgrims. I personally recall your calmness and patience with me as we reassembled my bike. I don't think I really thanked you (properly). So here is my thanks (small as they are).
I will follow your posts on this wonderful forum. A very special Buen Camino. Cheers from Down Under.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am pruning old branches to allow new growth in new directions - all is wel
Having read all the messages up above David I can only imagine how many lives you have impacted on in the last 14 years - mine included. I have always enjoyed your posts and wisdom that you have imparted to the forum. I love what you said about pruning - I am a keen gardener just saying!!- and this is so spot on. You've done the cut but just wait for the new season to see the amazing growth and what it brings forth- it is painful for me to chop away at my lovely things in the garden and i always say how sorry I am for doing this - nuts I know - but now this spring has revealed the beauty that was still there - but now with new growth and life. This year has been tough but like the seasons it will pass and bring on new and wonderful things again. This I know will be the very same for you and when you have recovered from your surgery and rest new and wonderful things await you. It is sometimes good to change direction even though it can be a tad daunting but I know with your wisdom and wonderful heart it will be good. Thank you for sharing and caring and it would certainly be my privilege to meet you on one of my future caminos.
If you see the chance to grab a walk with Maggie please do so - I can vouch that she is a suburb camino buddy.

Much love and buen camino!!

Oh David, this is such a shame as you have brought both wit and wisdom to this forum which can be a bit of a stuffy place at times. I wish you well with your operations and hope that it doesn't take too long for you to get to the top of the list. We are all going to miss you but please don't rush to leave. Take care and thank you. ULTREÏA!

€46,-
I cannot write anything better than what has already said David. But I do hope that in 2022 when I’m 80 and walking the Camino again I meet you on the path and we have a wine together. And you will say....well, I changed my mind and here I am!
I did not know of your eBay store. I hope I can find it for momento’s. 🏃🏻‍♂️

- so - I am standing on the top of that hill, at dawn, looking clearly at the world and also looking inwards to the me that is me and making new choices - I am pruning old branches to allow new growth in new directions - all is well. But thank you, thank you all - ♥️

and I am wondering what joke image to post up next!! ;)

Words of a wise man. @David thank you for your long service, on and off the Camino.
Ultreia peregrino.

Last weekend my family and a random extra at our table sat with Grandpa as he celebrated his 89th year. Our family tradition to share a memory of the birthday person turned into a long session of honouring and encouragement. Later one of my daughters observed it had felt like the deep things that are often shared at funerals were spoken - but with the delightful addition that the one about whom we spoke was still there and able to hear our gratitude, warmth, appreciation, joys, struggles, respect.....this thread feels much the same!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A sad decision to have to make, but it would seem to be the right time to hang up your Camino boots and take to local walks. We too have made a similar decision and will cherish the memories we have of the Camino while walking on Dartmoor. (Similar scenery etc).
We are glad to have met you, and also @JennyH94, at one of our early Camigos meetings at Darts Farm. Until March this year we still used the stickers you gave us that day as a sign on the table for newcomers.
Our best wishes for your future and health.
God bless you and keep you safe.

I will stay with the forum a while longer perhaps. It is so quiet now - I have tried to enliven it with humorous content now and again, but it is soooo quiet, and, to be fair, so many of our veteran members have gone, some have just chosen to leave, or are too ill to stay -. oh dear, it is all so sad.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
There are new adventures awaiting I'm sure. Buen wherever-you-go! Happy trails! I'm sure there are many pilgrims out there who have been touched by your compassion.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sorry David I never had the good fortune to meet you in 2015 when I walked the the CF. You were among a special group on this forum (you know who you are :> ) , who offered up everything encouraging, practical, inspirational and wise. I did walk the Great Glen Way in 2016 (I'm writing about three generations of Scots) and had planned a research trip to the Hebrides to celebrate my 85th this year, but alas it was not to be. All to say, it is the likes of you and others like you on this forum (I know who you are :>) , who have held this special virtual family together. Bless you for all your good deeds. There's a Scottish saying, 'Lang may yer lum reek'. I wish you good luck and good fortune for the future'.

Hola @DavidAs Jenny said your strength, your wise council and of course your friendship will be missed by many pilgrims.
I strongly object to @David leaving this forum. He is too important for that. Leaving The Camino, maybe, but not in here. This is my opinion. Thank you for your attention.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
blessings for the future.!

David, I can understand the risks one must consider when trying to care for people along the Camino even after a vaccine is available. And yes, I am sure you have seen many a pilgrim come and go on this website. Your generosity, expertise and kindness are an inspiration to us all. I do hope that you might stay with the forum because I have found your advice steady and on target. If you decide to sign off, know that I am very grateful and will my miss your voice🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Well .... well .. I am sort of speechless - A new one for me! - thank you all so much for your so many comments .. it is like being at my own funeral and wanting to sit up in my coffin and shout "but I'm still here, pass me that glass of Rioja" - because I am still here, I have just chosen to end my first aid and pastoral care mission ...... I am humbled, at a loss, I really am, and I want to thank you, all of you, for your kind support - thank you. I do not think that I deserve this - it is just me, a very irritable and pedantic old fart who goes off and does first aid ... but thank you -

The thing is, you know, however much we get lost in global plagues, bill paying, work, retirement, relationships and their possible painful downfall, loss, death of loved ones, cynics, scammers, evil in the world, the core of who and what we are, whether we just spontaneously chat with a checkout person in a supermarket, stroke a cat, talk to a stranger, continue supporting here on forum, is, at base, about love, don't you think?

Last edited:

€83,-

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Hello to Dave and to all listening
I’m in my 50’s and perhaps apart of the next generation of Pilgrams who will most likely do a Camino each and every year for another 15 years. At least one portion or another. Be it known that good caring people like Dave has kept the spirit alive. Young and old we all enjoy what the Camino has to offer. I’ve been reading posts for about 5 years but just now reached out. Dave touched me. In the spring of 2019 I walked the whole French route and onto Fisterra. Oh what an experience. Del Norte and Portugal is on my radar next but always flexible.
Dave, if I’m thinking right, someone who has traveled so many foot steps, shared many experiences, I just can’t see you stop cold turkey. (American slang for stopping). Once it’s in you it’s hard to quit. So in my mind it’s very possible to see you out there someday, maybe one more time after a couple years break. Time will tell :)
With masks and changes I can see where the veterans may want to pause and hang up their hats but for me, I found a passion.

love to all from Utah
Wallace

making new choices - I am pruning old branches to allow new growth in new directions
It isn't that I having been thinking about the hard choices you have had to make David but it is difficult for me to figure out what to say when there is so much to say. Let me get away with just saying that I hope your new growth blooms beautifully and makes us all happy.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
All the best. Buen Camino for your travels and adventures closer to home. One day the Camino will be alive and the spirit will remain. X

€46,-

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Sorry to see you go but I'm 76 with back surgery, feet problems, leg problems and much more, and I have lots more Caminos to do. But then again I haven't done all you have done. I have some catching up to do.

Well .... well .. I am sort of speechless - A new one for me! - thank you all so much for your so many comments .. it is like being at my own funeral and wanting to sit up in my coffin and shout "but I'm still here, pass me that glass of Rioja" - because I am still here, I have just chosen to end my first aid and pastoral care mission ...... I am humbled, at a loss, I really am, and I want to thank you, all of you, for your kind support - thank you. I do not think that I deserve this - it is just me, a very irritable and pedantic old fart who goes off and does first aid ... but thank you -

The thing is, you know, however much we get lost in global plagues, bill paying, work, retirement, relationships and their possible painful downfall, loss, death of loved ones, cynics, scammers, evil in the world, the core of who and what we are, whether we just spontaneously chat with a checkout person in a supermarket, stroke a cat, talk to a stranger, continue supporting here on forum, is, at base, about love, don't you think?
♥️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear David,
I too have enjoyed your sincere voice on the forum and admire your 14 years of compassionate service. Thankyou.
In 2016 I met a doctor on the Francis who declared
"come to me if it's an emergency BUT I don't do blisters!" And he didn't for the next 920 klms. Where were you?
Then in 2018 on the Francis, I noticed my left foot was a little swollen after I had tightened my sandals for 5 days of walking. My ex-army, critical care nurse friend said " it looks ok" So I walked on it for a further 200 klm. I got home to an
x-ray that showed a chronic fracture. Wish I would have met you along the way David!
All the best, and I hope to meet you on the path as a pilgrim who walks with freedom.
Love

Hi David

I have already purchased several items from your Ebay store (caminostore) this year and just had another peek.

And whilst echoing the message of the many posts above may I also drive some traffic your way by asking whether those expensive boots wouldn't be blister inducing or are they just for apres walk evening wear?

Whilst those words may be in jest may I add in all seriousness that we will miss the opportunity to meet you along the Frances.

Hi David

I have already purchased several items from your Ebay store (caminostore) this year and just had another peek.

And whilst echoing the message of the many posts above may I also drive some traffic your way by asking whether those expensive boots wouldn't be blister inducing or are they just for apres walk evening wear?

Whilst those words may be in jest may I add in all seriousness that we will miss the opportunity to meet you along the Frances.

Hahaha - my daughter recently relocated back to the UK (Hurrah!!) after some years in LA and some years in Dubai - she went through her storage and asked me to sell some items for her as she is not on Ebay, and, anyway, a Dad loves doing this sort of thing, though it does skew my CaminoStore a little!!

The boots you mention are the Versace cowboy boots for £950 that were 3,200$ new? But they are perfect for Camino! - well, as long as you sit in a limousine during the day that is :D

for those who have missed this great answer to the perpetual "boots or trainers?" Camino angst - Here they are (plenty of room amongst the studs to fix a couple of Camino lapel pins) - https://www.vinted.co.uk/women/cowb...-western-cowboy-boots-white-size-40-uk-7-us-9

In her defence I would like to say that she has never worn them (and never would)! They were a gift from a fashion designer who was going to use them on a shoot.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@David

I didn’t have the chance to meet you on the CF but I will continue to look forward to the wisdom and humour in your posts!

Thank you for all you have done for so many pilgrims and all the best for the medical attention all your ‘bits’ receive .... bits which seem to get worn out as we age ... in body, but not in heart and spirit. 😉

From one who frequently accosts perfect strangers with a few friendly words ... and will stroke any cat, dog, horse etc who will let me near ...

I often think about how the post-pandemic situation will look like, and how COVID-19 will change the social contacts in long term. I believe pilgrims will return very soon, as there are so many people waiting to continoue or fulfill the journey. I also think human beings can not live without touch, and I strogly believe we will hug again soon. I look at the history of the spanish flu, and other pandemic... we, humans do recover and go back to normal in a few years time after a pandemic.
I also think how difficoult it is for the elderly people with whom I work wih - they believe they don't have so much left, and every day not spent in a way they want to live they life is waste of time. They want to hug and see their families. It is difficoult for alll of us, even for the the youngsters as they urge to start their life, to meet others from their own age group, to find partners etc. I personally often feel what the virus took away from me is my personal freedom, the freedom to choose to do things I love - like walking the Camino routes.
But everything has a reason and the "pause" button also has also a meaning. Maybe this idea would help others... so I share it with you:
I tried to write down for myself, why I wanted to have a sabbatical and walk for 3 months in 2020, and I am now trying to achieve the same goals indoors.
David, we will miss you dearly, but somehow I have the feeling, you will walk with us again in a few years time. Untill then, I am glad you are staying with us online. Thank you for everything you did for this community.

Well, good thing I was in the forum and happened across this bit of news! David, first, I wish you the very best in your upcoming health "work," and can definitely relate with how frustrating it is to have to service the earthly vehicle---the fickle old body!

We've all got our own concerns, and this year's limitations have just about sunk a few of our most stalwart battleships, but we will make it through this year, and through Spring, and before you know it, we will be getting vaccines, and writing about them--and the numbers will diminish, and people will see a happiness in this coming Spring and Summer like we haven't had for a long time. I know, I just know!, that will include for you, David.

I was greatly heartened to see all of the responses to your announcement, and I think it's clear to see that you are well loved here. There is good reason for that. You've been one of those members who always embraces, listens, comforts. You have been a tremendous comfort to me, when I was going through loss and pretty broken up. You are a healer.

Now, I'm going to go take a look at your joke thread!

All the best from me.

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Buen Camino, David. Thank you for your service. Remember that every ending is just a new beginning.

All good things must come to an end at some point. It seems that you have really contributed to the camino and made a difference. I appreciate your sentiments that it is good to make your choice about when to stop and totally agree. Who knows what the future will hold for camino life but you have been a part of its past. Well done David, good luck with whatever road life takes you on in the future!

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
David, your ending is my beginning. As a pastor soon to retire, the ministry you have offered is my dream. I believe the ministry will continue in some way. Blessings. Joyce

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
All my very best wishes to you xx

David, I felt sad as I read your opening post. When I think back to my early days on the Forum, you and Methodist Pilgrim and Rebekah come to mind. Each of you with your own brand of wisdom and loving care for the rest of us. You will be missed. The Camino and the Forum were enriched by your presence. However, you have reached a fork in the Camino of your life and must take the path that Wisdom leads you to . May the Lord bless you and hold you in the hollow of his Hand. Lydia

David, I felt sad as I read your opening post. When I think back to my early days on the Forum, you and Methodist Pilgrim and Rebekah come to mind. Each of you with your own brand of wisdom and loving care for the rest of us. You will be missed.
@David will not be "missed". He will be a hangaround here forever. Trust me: The Camino is embedded in him :) And one day he will show up on the camino again or atleast in SdC. I'll try to be there to share a glass of whatever.

Last edited:

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
We can think of this as sad, but life is change and finite. Focus on all the wonderful moments, memories and especially that one person! All the very best. New journeys ahead . Ultreia! 💚

Hi @David - life is full of unexpected turns but this pandemic and events around it take me way outside my imagined life experiences. It feels like I am hanging on to the tigers tail, and that does not give much opportunity for any future planning. Still, I have hope that eventually the tiger will grow tired and I will regain some control over my life. If the opportunity is there I will be back in Spain, walking again. When I am, I hope there will be opportunities to meet up with you and other forum members, to share joy and laughter, truths and tears. When that happens I will be truly grateful.

I hope you find a window to walk a Camino path without any first aid obligations - as you say, with a small pack and no burdens, to take time for yourself, to meet people and be able to stay with them or not, to satisfy that inner drive to keep walking to the end. And repeat!
❤️❤️

€149,-
David-while your first aid and loving kindness on the Camino will be sorely missed, your knowledge can be a blessing. As a 74 year old on my first Camino, this forum was invaluable to me. Without this forum's support, I never would have attempted the journey. Your experience, wisdom and humor are much needed. Stick with the forum and once all those ailments are subdued (or in our case "controlled") come on back.
BTW...when you stand on that hill, remember the zenith is in Your mind. As long as you're alive, God has a plan for you!

Here is a post script of sorts if you are interested?
I had my inguinal hernia operation six days ago and a couple of hours into recovery two of the team came to see me to ask about my life - I asked why and they told me that as they had just done a second inguinal hernia repair (one each side now!) they wanted to talk to me about my activities - so I told them about previous house renovations, my hobby of metal detecting and then about my twice yearly first aid mission on Camino (they were really sweet - though serious - and were pleased that I did that).
They spoke a bit and then said that a backpack wasn't a problem - I then told them that I didn't use a backpack and about the trailer I had built and the load of supplies and back up supplies I carried - about 17 kilos - they asked how it was connected to me and I explained the hip belt.
They looked serious and one of them said "David, I'm sorry, but that life is over for you now - you have a weak lower abdominal wall from past heavy work so you cannot do this anymore" Then the other said "David, she is right, that is ended now, but go on Camino, with a light backpack, and teach others - teach them how to do the first aid, to repair themselves, but, for you, I'm sorry, David, that part of your life is over!".

Fair enough - but how interesting that this came just a couple of weeks after my opening post! Future dreaming?

So - that is what I shall do - I shall be a truly lightweight anonymous pilgrim, just ambling along.

I now have now listed my trailer for sale in my Ebay store .... and when this plague finally leaves us, well, I think I Will go on Camino, perhaps a really long one from deep in France? And! - what fun I shall have sorting a new sort of kit for me .. starting with lightweight rucksacks and onwards!! - oh, I shall SO be asking endless equipment questions!!! :D :D mind you, luckily Love doesn't weigh anything ;)

Buen Camino 💪

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, @David , there are 3 issues here:

1.The Camino needs you
2. You need the Camino
3 We need you

Just come along; I will walk along with you, as will many forum members. Just skip that insane thought of not going back: The Camino is you, and you are the Camino. I and they are here for you, as you have been for them. Keep on Caminoing, friend.

G'day mate. Yes it can be a shock when the medicos & physios turn up and tell you "like it is". But the wisdom you have allows you to accept their honesty. Yes the light weight pack might be the go (for all of us). Cheers and happy, holy Christmas.

Sir @David !

What a news. It was a surprise to hear about it and I'm really glad your recovery is going well.

A wise man once told me ...there are no such things as coincidences!

Your fourteen years of service have definitely left a deep mark of love on many. I'm sure Camino will follow as the path under your feet wherever you go. Forth, and may many walks come in your way!

Do let us know where your adventurous spirit will lead you.
For one, "The Return" would certainly make for another great film even without the first aid kit
...be it in Spain or otherwise! ... Just an idea!

It was an immense pleasure to have met & join a small part of your journey.

Wish you a sound recovery and fruitful new endeavours!!!
Buen Camino, my friend

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sir @David !

What a news. It was a surprise to hear about it and I'm really glad your recovery is going well.

A wise man once told me ...there are no such things as coincidences!

Your fourteen years of service have definitely left a deep mark of love on many. I'm sure Camino will follow as the path under your feet wherever you go. Forth, and may many walks come in your way!

Do let us know where your adventurous spirit will lead you.
For one, "The Return" would certainly make for another great film even without the first aid kit
...be it in Spain or otherwise! ... Just an idea!

It was an immense pleasure to have met & join a small part of your journey.

Wish you a sound recovery and fruitful new endeavours!!!
Buen Camino, my friend

Alexandre! Thank you! Funnily enough, as my energy and natural optimism returns, last night I watched your wonderful Camino documentary again and it brought back so much that I am indeed decided - when the plague cloud passes I return to Camino (but as a lightweight traveller). Thank you.

For those who missed Alexandre's beautiful Camino portrait, you can see it here -

Great news to hear, once again, David! I hope your resolve and upbeat attitude stays. Many of us are trying to persevere with a positive attitude as we wait for a green light...sometimes it's hard for me to do, and I occasionally blow back and forth like the wind.

So many positive supportive posts and also from friends on the phone, emails, etc - lovely ... I went down, came up - all is well. Clouds and then sunshine and all that - but the first aid mission is definitely over as I have been doing it - at the end of the year no more Camino Store, no more building up first aid supplies.
My trailer is sold, and soon - when the sales start after Christmas - I will work on super-lightweight Camino kit!!

€60,-
Unfortunately (or fortunately since you tended to weakend pilgrims) we have not met (yet). I have to say i am highly impressed by your compassion for your fellow human beings and i am glad to hear that there is going to be another chance to randomly meet on the camino :)
And as to your plans for going lightweight, i naturally encourage that and do gladly offer help if you want to talk things over.

So many positive supportive posts and also from friends on the phone, emails, etc - lovely ... I went down, came up - all is well. Clouds and then sunshine and all that - but the first aid mission is definitely over as I have been doing it - at the end of the year no more Camino Store, no more building up first aid supplies.
My trailer is sold, and soon - when the sales start after Christmas - I will work on super-lightweight Camino kit!!
Good boy. I look forward to your inventions on lightweight stuff....🤔

Buen Camino ♥️♥️♥️
Many blessings David, enjoy the memories that weigh like gold inside of you, the web of the spiritual sharing of the camino never lessens. Thank you for all your contributions.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.