• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am new here!!

Dan953

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planing to walk El Camino next year.
I need as much info as can to get ready for my walk next year!!! I am planning doing it by the end of july or August.... I am planning to take a month off from work. I hope to complete
it in time..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome. We were all new here at some time. Take your time. Read the threads and absorb the wealth of information there (some conflicting because there is no right to anything). You have plenty of time to prepare. Research, research and research and enjoy doing so before you buy anything. Ask advice if you can't find an answer and the lovely people here will help as best they can. Above all remember this - your boots and your pack are your best friends. Like your best friends choose them well, making sure they are the right friends for you who will treat you well and not let you down. In return you must also look after them as much as they do you. OK so that's your best friends so what about your enemy? Weight! Weight! Weight! Along with trying to walk to far to soon. Enjoy the forum.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome. We were all new here at some time. Take your time. Read the threads and absorb the wealth of information there (some conflicting because there is no right to anything). You have plenty of time to prepare. Research, research and research and enjoy doing so before you buy anything. Ask advice if you can't find an answer and the lovely people here will help as best they can. Above all remember this - your boots and your pack are your best friends. Like your best friends choose them well, making sure they are the right friends for you who will treat you well and not let you down. In return you must also look after them as much as they do you. OK so that's your best friends so what about your enemy? Weight! Weight! Weight! Along with trying to walk to far to soon. Enjoy the forum.

Al Thank you !!

That is one of the reasons, I want it to get info from people that currently walking of that have walked it. I appreciate the feed back... I will choose my friends them wisely!!! :)

Hello Dan, welcome to the forum you are doing the right thing planning early and giving yourself plenty of time to decide and to ask questions .This is where your camino starts so welcome pilgrim:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you guys!! that is what I am starting to do workout. I really need to be in shape for this trip.

Welcome Dan and all the best as you begin this exciting first part of your journey - planning and researching and dreaming. This forum is an incredible resource with many experienced, funny, wise, opinionated, members who will assist in any way they can. I echo what Al the optimist says: Choose your friends wisely (backpack and footwear) and pack as lightly as possible. The rest will be just one foot in front of the other as you enjoy and take on the challenge of what each day brings.
Buen Camino!

Shalom Dan and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Physical fitness is a very good idea but you don't have to be a Green Beret to walk the Camino so don't over-focus on your femur muscles, plenty of couch potatoes (me for example) have made it to Santiago despite age and several decades of cigarettes (thankfully discarded long ago). Enjoy the forum, a lot of good information here and a lot of fun! I would recommend also that in your preparations you include a bit of reading – some history of the areas you will be crossing-they weren't always Spain, a bit of art and architecture since you will be observing treasures of each, how is your Spanish? Fort Worth is a good bilingual place you probably already have more than enough. Practicalities are a first focus but prepare yourself for an experience which might change your perspectives and opinions on many things spiritual and personal. 850 kilometers will give you plenty of time to make new friends and to enjoy the camaraderie of people sharing similar experiences towards a common goal but also a unique opportunity for introspection, to think, a walking form of meditation if you will, to resolve issues not yet tied down, memories will suddenly pop up to make you happy or to haunt as well as a chance to review much which you have thought to be resolved long ago. So go ahead and train, be fit, but be aware, that's the easy part of the Camino-there is a lot more waiting for you if you will allow it to happen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Shalom Dan and Greetings from Jerusalem!
Physical fitness is a very good idea but you don't have to be a Green Beret to walk the Camino so don't over-focus on your femur muscles, plenty of couch potatoes (me for example) have made it to Santiago despite age and several decades of cigarettes (thankfully discarded long ago). Enjoy the forum, a lot of good information here and a lot of fun! I would recommend also that in your preparations you include a bit of reading – some history of the areas you will be crossing-they weren't always Spain, a bit of art and architecture since you will be observing treasures of each, how is your Spanish? Fort Worth is a good bilingual place you probably already have more than enough. Practicalities are a first focus but prepare yourself for an experience which might change your perspectives and opinions on many things spiritual and personal. 850 kilometers will give you plenty of time to make new friends and to enjoy the camaraderie of people sharing similar experiences towards a common goal but also a unique opportunity for introspection, to think, a walking form of meditation if you will, to resolve issues not yet tied down, memories will suddenly pop up to make you happy or to haunt as well as a chance to review much which you have thought to be resolved long ago. So go ahead and train, be fit, but be aware, that's the easy part of the Camino-there is a lot more waiting for you if you will allow it to happen.

Scruffy my Spanish is good, matter fact that is my first language. I actually grew up in Mexico so language is not going to be a challenge. Thanks for the advice it would not be taken for granted. I am really exited and can not wait to start my walk..

Welcome Dan, from another newbie! I will be doing my first Camino next year as well, some time in late May. I have to get in better shape as well and have been walking a fair bit but still have to get some hills in. Apparently the first day out of SJPP is a bit of a grind, but will only make us stronger.....thats my story and I'm stickin to it! Again, hola and welcome!

I need as much info as can to get ready for my walk next year!!! I am planning doing it by the end of july or August.... I am planning to take a month off from work. I hope to complete
it in time..
Hello Dan. I am also new but has already done a lot of reading here and gathered lots of useful info from this forum (so glad I joined!). Everybody seems always ready to help and give good advice. So prepare yourselves, all you helpful members, I'll be asking lots of questions and seeking loads of advice from you! We, my husband and I, have done the Camino Frances in 2008 and I have promised myself that I'll be back. It was such a wonderful, rewarding experience. We would have been back sooner, but the exchange rate of our SA Rand is so poor against the Euro, we have to wait for at least 4 to 5 years to save up enough money! Enough saved up now, planning for next year Aug/Sept ...............WooooHoooo!!! Although a few years older now, we still have enough stamina left, God willing! So...........let's plan, Dan!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Dan, hope you enjoy your preparations. In the Forum list of topics you will see there is a whole section devoted to "Pilgrim Books" which is a great place to find more inspiration for the trek.

Dan, you look like a young guy and speak Spanish. You should have no problem walking the Camino, and you get in better shape as you walk and your body conditions itself.
Doing it in July/August you don't need to carry to much stuff with you and should be easy to have a lightweight pack. I did my first Camino during those months, and it's warm and beautiful in northern Spain at that time. No where near Texas hot, but I wore shorts and a t-shirt and lightweight hiking shoes everyday that I walked.
You will love it.
Buen Camino

thank you for all the feed back I really appreciate it...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Dan. I am also new but has already done a lot of reading here and gathered lots of useful info from this forum (so glad I joined!). Everybody seems always ready to help and give good advice. So prepare yourselves, all you helpful members, I'll be asking lots of questions and seeking loads of advice from you! We, my husband and I, have done the Camino Frances in 2008 and I have promised myself that I'll be back. It was such a wonderful, rewarding experience. We would have been back sooner but the exchange rate of our SA Rand is so poor against the Euro, we have to wait for at least 4 to 5 years to save up enough money! Enough saved up now, planning for next year Aug/Sept ...............WooooHoooo!!! Although a few years older now, we still have enough stamina left, God willing! So...........let's plan, Dan!

That is something I would like since is my first time there.. I need to discuss it with my friend and I will get back at you...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back