• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am still walking my Camino

Kjell family

Time of past OR future Camino
Pontferrada to Santiago ( April 2018), Porto to Santiago (April, 2020)
Like so many others I, with a heavy heart, cancelled my flight for April 6 a few days ago, though I had resigned myself earlier to ending my " kid free" Camino time. For a week now our family has been in isolation, as is required of every one. Our only outings are our daily walks which we have found increasing in length and time, especially on the days above zero. And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log. I will come home and make a cafe leche to warm up. Perhaps I will reach Santiago by the time the isolation order end.Any others still interested I walking with me? Keep you updated on my progress.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not allowed to walk....stay at home here.
Just for getting food, pharmacy, bank, post and work if necessary.

I see you live in Belgium. Me too.
No , it is not forbidden to walk, jog or cycle in your own neighbourhood. Virologists and doctors actually promote it. As long as you take into consideration the necessary distance. Not mixing different generations.

In Dutch

"Ontspanning zoeken in de buitenlucht - wandelen, sporten - wordt zelfs aangemoedigd. Maar ook daar is social distancing van belang: afstand houden, en zich buiten wagen met maximaal één ander persoon, een gezinslid of vriend of vriendin. Een wandeling maken mag enkel in de eigen buurt: eerst samen in de auto springen om vervolgens ergens anders te gaan wandelen, is niet de bedoeling. "

In Spain, it is forbidden to walk outside, run, ride your bike or exercise outside in any way. You can only go out to buy food, prescription drugs or other basic stuff. Also you can go to work (if you are still working off-line) or you can go to take care of the elderly if you need to. In any circumstance, you have to go by yourself, unaccompanied (no shopping with kids or in pairs).
Most everyone abides by the rules, and very many open balconies and windows to clap and cheer at eight o clock every night, to show gratitude to doctors and other in the front lines, and to hug each other in the distance. It is quite moving.

I envy those of you that can walk outside, but I guess it is safer not to, at least if you are living in a city.

Hope this is a short nightmare.

Last edited:
I was just wondering if there is still anyone walking the camino at this moment?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SabineP You can walk in your neighbourhood, meaning taking some air, is not going do a training walk.
It is sometimes difficult to understand what is written (En effet, tous les déplacements non essentiels étant interdits) "Indeed, all non-essential movements being prohibited" ... I live not in the countryside.
Hope we all can walk soon again ;)

In France we are allowed individual sport " a proximité de domicile" so how do wé define that? I'm thinking that as long as it's a non-stop loop with no contact that should be OK. Say 10km on foot, 30Km on a bike? What do you all reckon?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like so many others I, with a heavy heart, cancelled my flight for April 6 a few days ago, though I had resigned myself earlier to ending my " kid free" Camino time. For a week now our family has been in isolation, as is required of every one. Our only outings are our daily walks which we have found increasing in length and time, especially on the days above zero. And so I have decided to walk my Camino. I will track our daily hikes, and mark it on my route. I will take a picture to add to my "travel" log. I will come home and make a cafe leche to warm up. Perhaps I will reach Santiago by the time the isolation order end.Any others still interested I walking with me? Keep you updated on my progress.
Good idea, I was out cycling today and had a similar thought, I was going to cycle to Lisbon via Santiago from Scotland, and will do as you are suggesting a virtual cycle , will help to get fit too.
I was due to start at the beginning of April, house sold, handed in my notice at work, !
Bill, que sera sera.
PS it sounds like you are further North than me.

In France we are allowed individual sport " a proximité de domicile" so how do wé define that? I'm thinking that as long as it's a non-stop loop with no contact that should be OK. Say 10km on foot, 30Km on a bike? What do you all reckon?
I read that the police in France are checking strava to tell people not to cycle for fun!
But as you say why not 30km on a bicycle? I cycled 55km today, and had contact with no one, surely the same as staying at home,
Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know, I live in Spain myself, but I was wondering, or in spit,e of all, therr are walkers outthere?
Maybe in some really rural areas,
If you live a long way from the shops and have no car, just like in days gone by.
Bill

@SabineP You can walk in your neighbourhood, meaning taking some air, is not going do a training walk.
It is sometimes difficult to understand what is written (En effet, tous les déplacements non essentiels étant interdits) "Indeed, all non-essential movements being prohibited" ... I live not in the countryside.
Hope we all can walk soon again ;)

Of course I understand. One of the perks of living in a village in the countryside : an orchard around the corner of the street but no bakery anymore... :)

Here we can go out and walk or run or bicycle. I live at the edge of a small village, outside a small city (Ithaca) in the western part of New York State (the Fingerlakes Region). All non-essential businesses are closed, schools are closed, playgrounds are closed. I walk up to the barn where I keep my horse everyday to take care of him, and clean the stall. I take my dog with me. It is a private barn-- owned by a neighbor and we keep our distance when we see each other. I see others walking, some in family groups, and we wave and call out to each other. I told my boys they could throw a frisbee on our field to each other, but not with friends.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's great! In 2014 I was packed and ready to leave on my first camino but was diagnosed with lymphoma so had surgery and months of chemo - so during chemo I walked - and throughout those long summer months I logged 560 miles on my "Chemo Camino". In 2015 I walked the French route, 2016 the Portuguese, 2017 the Way of St. Olav in Norway, and 2018 the Primitivo. The "Chemo Camino" was a great start to many caminos, and I'm still walking and planning the Camino dos Faros for next year. So, do your Camino wherever you are now and plan for future adventures. Keep walking!

Here we can go out and walk or run or bicycle. I live at the edge of a small village, outside a small city (Ithaca) in the western part of New York State (the Fingerlakes Region). All non-essential businesses are closed, schools are closed, playgrounds are closed. I walk up to the barn where I keep my horse everyday to take care of him, and clean the stall. I take my dog with me. It is a private barn-- owned by a neighbor and we keep our distance when we see each other. I see others walking, some in family groups, and we wave and call out to each other. I told my boys they could throw a frisbee on our field to each other, but not with friends.
Kelley, it sounds like a luxury to me. I assume than in Spain, under your circumstances (that is, living in an "detached" farm) you could do the same. Farmers can take care of the animals and the crops. Life is harder living in cities.
The expected pain is huge, coming from conflicts within the families and the economic consequences of the situation, with many running out or savings or facing the ruin of their business.
I try to remain optimistic and wear at home my walking shoes! Silly me.

Currently sitting in the cafe opposite the cathedral gates in Pamplona. Just had a plato combinado and trying to decide on flan or helado for postre. A bit chilly for ice cream but the skies are blue:

1584882551301.png

We set off for Puenta la Reina tomorrow at 09:00 local time after cafe con leche and tostada. Does anybody know if the snack bar is open up on the Sierra del Perdón at the moment? Rooms booked at Hotel Jakue so no rush for a bed in the albergue. It'll be great not having to haul our packs along the way - give us more time to stop and enjoy the views too!

Oh I do love my Google Earth . . . .

1584882918152.png

1584883066858.png

Anybody care to join us? Don't be late, we leave promptly at 9!

"¡Ah senorita! Flan para los dos por favor!"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Spain, it is forbidden to walk outside, run, ride your bike or exercise outside in any way. You can only go out to buy food, prescription drugs or other basic stuff. Also you can go to work (if you are still working off-line) or you can go to take care of the elderly if you need to. In any circumstance, you have to go by yourself, unaccompanied (no shopping with kids or in pairs).
Most everyone abides by the rules, and very many open balconies and windows to clap and cheer at eight o clock every night, to show gratitude to doctors and other in the front lines, and to hug each other in the distance. It is quite emotional.

I envy those of you that can walk outside, but I guess it is safer not to, at least if you are living in a city.

Hope this is a short nightmare.
Yes, I'm in Madrid and it's like a ghost town. Only people getting to walk are dog owners. I had thought about dressing up the cat to look like a dog, but decided against it in the end (a few fang a claw marks later).
Today was great, I went "out" to take the waste to the bin room on the ground floor.
Today spanish government has announced extending the existing lockdown measuresl. This will add another 15 days and take us to 15th April. I must admit, it doesn't surprise. We are all in this for the long run until we finally get this under control.

Our city is blessed with a very large green belt through the river valley and ravines. Usually you can walk and not come across any one. Yesterday everyone had the same thought to walk after a few days of -20. I think my walks will be limited to very early or late wanderings around the neighborhood moving forward.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In preparing for my 2016 camino, for every mile I walked domestically, I traced the camino using Google street view and marked it on my Spanish map. Instead of this year's Portugal walk, I will be doing the same plus making a faux travel journal of what I see via Google maps. Salud

This website was mentioned in one of Camino groups on Facebook. It works along with Fitbit, Garmin or pedometer to log your distance and tracks your progress as you “walk” on your chosen trail. I might do this when I leave work in 5 weeks to keep me active, especially now that thanks to Coronavirus I can’t get my daily fix at the gym.

7ADB4A3C-8677-4638-BC42-DC9B8B29E028.png7ADB4A3C-8677-4638-BC42-DC9B8B29E028.png

In France we are allowed individual sport " a proximité de domicile" so how do we define that? I'm thinking that as long as it's a non-stop loop with no contact that should be OK. Say 10km on foot, 30Km on a bike? What do you all reckon?

My understanding is that bikes are increasingly frowned upon (I live on top of a weekend bikers route, and seen not a single bike for several days), but walking or jogging within a radius of a couple of K of your home, provided that it's solitary and outside certain specific "public places" designated as no-go (public beaches, parks, riverside quays, other "touristy" places, etc), you should be OK. Of course, this will vary from place to place, and would be a LOT less feasible in city centres or the more densely populated suburbs than it would be out in the sticks.

Today I walked from Azofra to Santa Domingo de la Calzada on the treadmill in my living room while looking at BK LEE's video Day #9. I walk @ 4km/hr for an hour daily facing a big screen TV set up as a monitor viewing YouTube.. It usually takes me four days to get through each of Mr Lee's daily recordings. It's fun seeing where I walked in 2013 on the Camino Frances. Seeing the occasionally familiar landscape move past as I walk. I have discovered several places where he makes a wrong turn and gets off the Camino. I find myself yelling at him "hey, you missed that arrow". Quite a bit of the time I feel myself stepping up over curbs, and swaying to miss objects in his line of travel. His videos really don't have sound, so I play my own music to walk with. Usually Spanish Guitar music. At the rate I do this I expect to take a little less than 5 months to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.

Sorry, not that far. Message from Minister of sport said had to be close to home, 1or 2 km, but not 10 (her phraseology) , but I guess there’s nothing to stop you doing a 2 km circuit around your locality five times; don’t forget your attestation. Cycling for pleasure now prohibited.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This website was mentioned in one of Camino groups on Facebook. It works along with Fitbit, Garmin or pedometer to log your distance and tracks your progress as you “walk” on your chosen trail. I might do this when I leave work in 5 weeks to keep me active, especially now that thanks to Coronavirus I can’t get my daily fix at the gym.

View attachment 71720View attachment 71720

Great idea. Just looked my last two days working on my land and clocked up 3% of the Camino Frances.

View attachment 71720View attachment 71720
Thanks,will try it later

Scottish health adviser,saying exercise outside once a day,walking ,jogging or cycling is good for your mental health,
Bill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Managed to combine shopping and a walk along the river as shop less than two km away (and I did have my attestation, in case I was stopped by gendarmes). Have decided that I don’t want to carry 9.5 kg if possible, when I walk the Camino.

we're still praying and prepping for a del norte Camino this summer. So we walk in state parks and other parks carrying the exact backpack that we're gonna be carrying. So the spirit lives on... Ultreia!

Managed to combine shopping and a walk along the river as shop less than two km away (and I did have my attestation, in case I was stopped by gendarmes). Have decided that I don’t want to carry 9.5 kg if possible, when I walk the Camino.
Yeah 9.5kg would be no fun!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am fortunate High Point NC's Gibson Park is not only open, Saturday and Sunday saw more cars and families, seniors and couples than I have seen in months. It's a marked earthern trail through woods, which I vastly prefer to walking on a macadam multi-mile Greenway -- yes, I know, road walking on my proposed September 2020 will have me on roadways! As travel to Pilot Moountain and Uwharrie National Forest is not a current option, I intend daily double and triple local circuits.

Sorry, not that far. Message from Minister of sport said had to be close to home, 1or 2 km, but not 10 (her phraseology) , but I guess there’s nothing to stop you doing a 2 km circuit around your locality five times; don’t forget your attestation. Cycling for pleasure now prohibited.
Oh dear. In that case I shall be green lane to the shops. Nearest shop is 6km and I have saddle bags big enough for four days shopping. As I can do this without seeing a single person, let alone a house, using a little care until I arrive at the edge of our small town, I think I am staying in the spirit of the rules.
Sue, do you have a link? Because it's what's written down that has legal value, and I don't see any distances on the government web site.

This is the closest we'll be getting to a yellow arrow this year. To be found in our local park which has some good walking trails.

20200323_151604.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Many thanks for sharing this Mary Doll - currently podding my way from SJPP to Roncesvalles with a friend who just will not wait for me to catch up with them! Social Distancing I guess?

They've put a lot of effort into making this site a joy to "walk".

Today I walked from Azofra to Santa Domingo de la Calzada on the treadmill in my living room while looking at BK LEE's video Day #9. I walk @ 4km/hr for an hour daily facing a big screen TV set up as a monitor viewing YouTube.. It usually takes me four days to get through each of Mr Lee's daily recordings. It's fun seeing where I walked in 2013 on the Camino Frances. Seeing the occasionally familiar landscape move past as I walk. I have discovered several places where he makes a wrong turn and gets off the Camino. I find myself yelling at him "hey, you missed that arrow". Quite a bit of the time I feel myself stepping up over curbs, and swaying to miss objects in his line of travel. His videos really don't have sound, so I play my own music to walk with. Usually Spanish Guitar music. At the rate I do this I expect to take a little less than 5 months to walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.
The new reality! I remember the first 3D movie I saw (G-Force and don't judge me Coffeemaker!) where in the opening frames a fly carrying a spy camera comes zooming out of the screen and everybody in the audience ducked!

Oh dear. In that case I shall be green lane to the shops. Nearest shop is 6km and I have saddle bags big enough for four days shopping. As I can do this without seeing a single person, let alone a house, using a little care until I arrive at the edge of our small town, I think I am staying in the spirit of the rules.
Sue, do you have a link? Because it's what's written down that has legal value, and I don't see any distances on the government web site.
This is the new attestation, sadly even more restrictive, but necessary. https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actua...-et-justificatif-de-deplacement-professionnel

Shopping by bike it is, then. I walk the dogs 2.7 km without leaving our 1km access road, which belongs to us. Then a bit more to the next farm, which is uninhabited. Then back.
Might sometimes see our postperson.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our postal service has been cut to every other day, which seems reasonable. It's a long way to the nearest open Post Office, but we can buy stamps in a Tabac, or print at home. Amazon must be coining it at the moment.

I am walking daily at home too. I live in a rural area of western NY State. So far, I've only been walking a mile or two per day, but your post encourages me to take a few 10-15 miles walks this week. Great idea-- Thank-you.
[/
I am walking daily at home too. I live in a rural area of western NY State. So far, I've only been walking a mile or two per day, but your post encourages me to take a few 10-15 miles walks this week. Great idea-- Thank-you.

D

Dunkirk here!

I have cycled 662kms,on my new bike,so slightly more than the Portuguese Camino,another week and I'll have cycled the length of the Frances,from St-Jean -Pied -de -Port to Santiago de Compostela.
Hope everyone is well and getting out for a walk,run or cycle.
Bill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is a fantastic idea!

I was just wondering if there is still anyone walking the camino at this moment?
Yes, there are still a few veteran pilgrims walking in Portugal as they can't pass Spain

That's great! In 2014 I was packed and ready to leave on my first camino but was diagnosed with lymphoma so had surgery and months of chemo - so during chemo I walked - and throughout those long summer months I logged 560 miles on my "Chemo Camino". In 2015 I walked the French route, 2016 the Portuguese, 2017 the Way of St. Olav in Norway, and 2018 the Primitivo. The "Chemo Camino" was a great start to many caminos, and I'm still walking and planning the Camino dos Faros for next year. So, do your Camino wherever you are now and plan for future adventures. Keep walking!
You are truly blessed. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.