• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I am watching IT again :) THE WAY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see people often nit-picking the accuracy of that movie, but it has certainly generated a lot of interest in the Camino.

Personally, I quite liked the movie simply *as a movie*. The depiction of his relationship with his son and of his own growing friendship with his fellow pilgrims was very nicely done.

We think it's a great film. Whether it's accurate or not I couldn't tell you as I haven't done it yet I'll let you know after May 13th
Watched it again last weekend in preparation

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
go for it on Netflix

St Jacques Le Mecque is another movie you must see. Both funnier and more poignant, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RtpDRDQWqk

Hard to find....I posted this once but can't find it there today:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a French version, which has no subtitles and will not play on American DVDs, but will play on a computer.

It has been enjoyed by everyone, from native French speakers to those who don't understand a word of it. There is some rapid fire French which is tough to follow.

I have been looking for a version with subtitles for a long time. I found it is now available, but is $40 on Amazon. Digging around, I found this place:

http://www.redtagmarket.com/

They had it for $20, Canadian version, French with English sous-titres. I just unwrapped it and works, and yes, I missed some of the rapid fire reasons they could not make the trip. No pilgrim should miss this film.

newfydog, Jun 14, 2012 Edit Delete Report

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here I am on a Saturday night and watching the movie THE WAY again.

Each time I watch I find new aspects in the movie.
Very addicting :)
~~~~My 10th time~~~~
I'm with you on this Annie. I suppose there have been loads of posts about it over the years. It annoys me that people call it a "Hollywood" movie in a perjoritive sense, just because a couple of the actors, and the director live in California. This is an independent production, that only came about because Martin Sheen asked his son to write something for him on the Camino, with which he feels a personal family connection.
Like you, I've watched it lots of times, often with friends who don't understand my obsession with the Camino. The depiction of the change that comes over Tom, because of his interaction with the other pilgrims, (particularly Jost, "to whom kindness is an instinct") is very well done.
Who cares if it isn't accurate in details. I found echoes of my own journey in it.

~~~~My 10th time~~~~

Annie, your post last night made me watch it again too! 6 weeks to go for me :)
Will also check out St Jacques Le Mecque - thanks @newfydog for the info.

Edit - when looking online for St. Jacques le Mecque, I found this link. More Camino movies to check out! http://www.alberguecuatrocantones.com/noticias/peliculas-del-camino-de-santiago/

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

~~~~My 10th time~~~~
I have just done the same thing. I can recite the words before they say them.....two weeks till my Camino begins.....and the Way is still strong

~~~~My 10th time~~~~
Can't remember how many times I have watched it. There are parts of it that annoy me but overall I still love it and recommend it to everyone who asks about the Camino (which I start walking May 2..eeekk is right) as an intro to what it is all about. I can't wait to see those places in person (out of order, I know, from reading on this forum). Meanwhile, last minute panic, obsessive list-checking and forum-reading underway full tilt !!

St Jacques Le Mecque is another movie you must see. Both funnier and more poignant, I think...

Thank you for posting it - I will watch it now.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Peregrinopaul
I'm with you on this Annie.....
......Like you, I've watched it lots of times, often with friends who don't understand my obsession with the Camino. The depiction of the change that comes over Tom, because of his interaction with the other pilgrims, (particularly Jost, "to whom kindness is an instinct") is very well done.
Who cares if it isn't accurate in details. I found echoes of my own journey in it.

Exactly - when the change that comes over the pilgrims in this Hollywood movie wakes up memories in us who walked one or more caminos.
Also watching together with friends who cannot understand why I walk my annual camino...

Can't remember how many times I have watched it. There are parts of it that annoy me but overall I still love it and recommend it to everyone who asks about the Camino (which I start walking May 2..eeekk is right) as an intro to what it is all about. I can't wait to see those places in person (out of order, I know, from reading on this forum). Meanwhile, last minute panic, obsessive list-checking and forum-reading underway full tilt !!

buen camino @NualaOC
buen camino @4329barbara

seems like we all who watching it right now are soon to be on the camino again :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

~~~~My 10th time~~~~
bought the dvd some time ago - 4$+ - and am happy to watch it over and again when i fancy the sights again.
hope you'll enjoy it watching the 11th, 12th, 13th, 25th, etc etc time as well ... and most of all your upcoming camino!
very best wishes - and thanks everyone else too for posting links to other films.

~~~~My 10th time~~~~

Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez discussed the making of the movie at a Pilgrimage Symposium at Georgetown University just before the movie was released. Their discussion begins at about the 18 min mark on the YouTube video.

Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez discussed the making of the movie at a Pilgrimage Symposium at Georgetown University just before the movie was released. Their discussion begins at about the 18 min mark on the YouTube video.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting it jayree.
Interesting that El Ramon was based on a real person. I'd always thought that that scene was a bit over the top, but apparently not. Anybody read Jack Hitt's book?

Just watched the interview with Martin Sheen & Emilio Estevez - really interesting. Thanks for posting :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This movie is extra special to me. My sisters and I were in SJPDP to start our Camino when The Way was being filmed there. We wound up being extras and got to meet both Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez! So cool! And yes, I show up in the movie for a split second.

Really liked the interview, thank you

The same here - I really like the discussion at the Georgetown university.
And in the end we could hear Lydia Smith talking about her Camino Documentary :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Interesting that El Ramon was based on a real person. I'd always thought that that scene was a bit over the top, but apparently not. Anybody read Jack Hitt's book?

The movie was loosely based on Jack Hitt's book which was my first encounter with the CdS. But, the I think only thing in the movie from the book was the El Ramon bit. Maybe the character with writer's bloc was an homage to Hitt, although I doubt Hitt has ever had writer's block. Jack Hitt wrote a follow-up piece in the NYT 2 years ago about hiking the Camino with his daughters
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/hiking-through-history-with-your-daughters.html?_r=0

The movie was loosely based on Jack Hitt's book which was my first encounter with the CdS. But, the I think only thing in the movie from the book was the El Ramon bit. Maybe the character with writer's bloc was an homage to Hitt, although I doubt Hitt has ever had writer's block. Jack Hitt wrote a follow-up piece in the NYT 2 years ago about hiking the Camino with his daughters
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/hiking-through-history-with-your-daughters.html?_r=0

Thanks Jayree for sharing this.

I find that I can't NOT watch it. Oddly, it comes on a lot here in the UAE. Whenever I find it while channel surfing, I am compelled to stop and watch it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for that information, jayree. Hitt's article was interesting too. I must remember to avoid Holy Year, assuming I'm capable by the time the next one comes around.

We, too, have watched it numerous times.

As has been mentioned, it is a movie, not a documentary, so has taken certain liberties. Besides inconsistencies in the order of locations, it is a romanticised version and cuts out a lot of the less pretty bits that pilgrims encounter.

However, as an entertainment, it seems fine - very enjoyable, and a better way of spending a couple of hours than most TV or movies these days.

And it provides a tonic, if one is needed, between real Caminos! :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Annie -
Like you I keep seeing new aspects of the movie each time I see it. At the last viewing a couple of weeks back I noticed more cyclists - they've only come onto the radar for me as regards the movie since I decided to do my bike camino - I didn't even see them prior to making that decision!

I love this movie. Watched it many times before my Camino last Sept/Oct and have since watched it several more times. I'm about ready for another "The Way" fix any day now. One of my favorite inconsistancies is when Tom is walking the path along the road and takes a look back to see Daniel leaning up against a tree. This was filmed along the Meseta, however Tom is walking in the wrong direction from west to east. Those trees should be on his left. But who cares, it just makes me smile!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love this movie. Watched it many times before my Camino last Sept/Oct and have since watched it several more times. I'm about ready for another "The Way" fix any day now. One of my favorite inconsistancies is when Tom is walking the path along the road and takes a look back to see Daniel leaning up against a tree. This was filmed along the Meseta, however Tom is walking in the wrong direction from west to east. Those trees should be on his left. But who cares, it just makes me smile!!!

I actually like seeing the inconsistencies and goofs! I like being able to point them out because I was there to see them!

I like that "The Way" gives you a good taste of what the Camino is like.

~~~~My 10th time~~~~
Hahaha. I have watched the movie many times too. It is one of my favourites. :) Last time I watched it I decided to go to the Camino myself :) I leave in late May

Hi Annie -
Like you I keep seeing new aspects of the movie each time I see it. At the last viewing a couple of weeks back I noticed more cyclists - they've only come onto the radar for me as regards the movie since I decided to do my bike camino - I didn't even see them prior to making that decision!
"What, you can do this on a bike!" Quoting Jost at the Alto de Pardon.:cool:
Jenny, I hope you and St. Mike have a great Camino.

You can inlcude me too, biarritzdon. If all goes well I should be pushing my bike up the Alto de Pardon on June 3rd, ......with a little help from my son.

"What, you can do this on a bike!" Quoting Jost at the Alto de Pardon.
And I can't resist pre-empting you from quoting an early line from the movie back at me......Daniel: "A father/son thing; it'll be great!".

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow Don! you're observant! I'll check this out. Jost was absolutely fantastic wasn't he - I loved his zest for life and his appreciation for everything he experienced on the Camino.
Thanks for you good wishes for our bike camino -
Cheers - Jenny

Hola - glad that an earlier post pointed out that this movie definitely is not a Hollywood production. If you manage to get a copy of the DVD (international edition) at the conclusion of the movie there is an additional feature that for me is more than the movie itself. In the feature Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez and David Alexanian (one of the Exec Producers - an one of the golfers in the opening scenes) discuss how the movie was made; how they found the co-stars and supporting cast etc; even to how the music was chosen. They sort admit to the editing error but go out of their way to emphasize that the movie was made in sequence - as they walked and travelled West. If the weather did not cooperate then they lost the shot. The scene with Martin up in the Pyrenese (near the cross) was one such shot - it was the only day in 10 days that the sun cleared.

Hi Don - not much happening on the bike front here in Oz - I will let Jenny tell you her news - but for the rest of us well ITS BEEN RAINING - almost non-stop since Sunday afternoon. This morning was the first time since midday on Sunday that we have seen the sun. Beun Camino & Cheers to all

Hola - glad that an earlier post pointed out that this movie definitely is not a Hollywood production. If you manage to get a copy of the DVD (international edition) at the conclusion of the movie there is an additional feature that for me is more than the movie itself. In the feature Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez and David Alexanian (one of the Exec Producers - an one of the golfers in the opening scenes) discuss how the movie was made; how they found the co-stars and supporting cast etc; even to how the music was chosen. They sort admit to the editing error but go out of their way to emphasize that the movie was made in sequence - as they walked and travelled West. If the weather did not cooperate then they lost the shot. The scene with Martin up in the Pyrenese (near the cross) was one such shot - it was the only day in 10 days that the sun cleared.

Hi Don - not much happening on the bike front here in Oz - I will let Jenny tell you her news - but for the rest of us well ITS BEEN RAINING - almost non-stop since Sunday afternoon. This morning was the first time since midday on Sunday that we have seen the sun. Beun Camino & Cheers to all

That was some deluge, Mike. And to think I've met people who think it doesn't rain in Australia!
Mind you, I remember a time when my mother visited us from England and was bemoaning the awful UK summer weather, my 3 year old son replied, "Grandma, it rained HERE once!"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can inlcude me too, biarritzdon. If all goes well I should be pushing my bike up the Alto de Pardon on June 3rd, ......with a little help from my son.
Hi Paul -

You and your son will be a few months ahead of Saint Mike II and me - we start from Pamplona on 4 September. It would be fantastic to hear how you both went once you've finished.

Buen Bike Camino -

Cheers - Jenny

Hi Paul -

You and your son will be a few months ahead of Saint Mike II and me - we start from Pamplona on 4 September. It would be fantastic to hear how you both went once you've finished.

Buen Bike Camino -

Cheers - Jenny
thanks, jenny. I'll post occasionally along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi Mike - apologies to everyone as I know I'm getting off topic here but I just couldn't resist posting this photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge the other day in the deluge ...

11162076_10153243194173491_8102467357844402440_n.jpg

Incredible sight, isn't it?

Cheers - Jenny

Hi Mike - apologies to everyone as I know I'm getting off topic here but I just couldn't resist posting this photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge the other day in the deluge ...

Cheers - Jenny
Unreal!!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hang on. Is this a Photoshop promo?
Hi Paul - I've just found out that this IS a photoshopped pic. It was on my sister-in-law's facebook page - there was a link to the person who 'took' the photo and they owned up to it being photoshopped ... 'had me fooled until you voiced your suspicions!
Cheers - Jenny

?

Cheers - Jenny
wait...what am I looking at here

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I got all the news last weekend when Angela stopped for a visit.
I remember a similar rain event back in 1988 when I was living in East Killara, there was terrible flooding in my part of town.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just finished the Jack Hitt book, and can see the movie The Way all through it

I was interested in the Camino prior to watching the movie as my Dad bought me a book 9 years ago called "40 Walks to do before you Die" and I plan to get to all of them (will be at 10 done after this year), but also really liked the film.

I also recently listened to the duel Auto-biography that Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez co-wrote called "Along the Way: The Journey of a Father and a Son" and it is very fascinating. It goes back and forth, each narrating different chapters based on their recollections of different stages of their lives but it also adds in different parts from their filming the movie and why they did certain things.

I found it interesting that the premise was thought up by Emilio because when they had gone to do the Camino (they didn't finish and ended up driving it) his son met a Spanish girl he married later and moved to Spain to be with her. So Emilio said "I lost a son to the Camino... so I wanted audiences to know what it is like." XD

Also his son's wife worked with Gypsies in that town with the Gypsy scene and all those people dancing and partying were actual gypsies from that town. Lots of neat info.
https://mobile.audible.com/pd/Arts-...-of-a-Father-and-Son-Audiobook/B007ZCWEDW?s=s

"You don´t choose a life, dad.
You live one."

Thank you for all your comments.
Now I will read them all thoroughly...

Buen camino :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So I have a mystery that I am hoping one of you can help me solve. I also have fallen in love with the Movie The Way, and have seen it way too many times. Several years ago, I was at our church's youth group meeting where they showed the movie off a computer. But this version had several different scenes added. It has an added section when they are talking in the kitchen about Daniel not going back to college. In this version he says he goes to Berkeley. In the current version, there is no reference to what school he goes to. The most marked one was at the end of the movie when Tom is throwing the ashes into the sea. In this version, Daniel is standing next to him and Martin says, "But now I have nothing to remember you by!" And Emilio says "Yes you do". Then it goes to Tom walking back up the rocks.
I asked our youth director where she got this version and she said a friend got it downloaded from Amazon.
I have bought the DVD, blu-ray, and digital versions in search of this cut and have yet to find it. It really has driven me crazy because I actually liked the version better.
Does this found familiar to anyone? Is maybe the European version have this and the US version not?
Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated!

Rambler

Last edited:
Hi,

I got the last scen in my version with Tom in Muxia throwing the ashes and Emilio saying "Yes, you do".

I think I have the kitchen scene also - I have to check that !

@Rambler I´ll watch it again - the dvd - and let you know :)

Hi,

I got the last scen in my version with Tom in Muxia throwing the ashes and Emilio saying "Yes, you do".

I think I have the kitchen scene also - I have to check that !

@Rambler I´ll watch it again - the dvd - and let you know :)
Yes, please do!!! It is not in our US version.
Thanks.
Rambler

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a Spanish DVD version I bought in Spain, (I'm so familiar with the dialogue that it is great for improving my Spanish) and also the English version bought from Amazon. Both versions are as you describe.

Jayree , I think you should take a look at the book again, from waliking the wrong way to start, the dog fight, the old lady at the Albergue , Jack describing what a pilgrim must be, and crying in the Catherdral. It's all in the book

@Rambler
The kitchen scene:
-Listen, my doctorite - I am not going to finish it.
-You mean this year?
-I mean ever. Can´t learn about the world at school.
-You not just at school - you´re at Berkeley. Take a semester but don´t throw in the last ten years of your life.
-When was the last time you travelled abroad and I am not talking about business - Nepal Marocko India Papua New Guinea...
-I got to go to these places - I got to go I got to go...

Last edited:
@Rambler
The kitchen scene:
-You not just at school - you´re at Berkeley. Take a semester but don´t throw in the last ten years of your life.
This entire line is missing in the US version.
Daniel next says in my version:
-Margaret Meade did not become a great anthropologist by staying in school.

Do you not have that line?
Rambler

This entire line is missing in the US version.
Daniel next says in my version:
-Margaret Meade did not become a great anthropologist by staying in school.

Do you not have that line?
Rambler
Hi, I definitely do not have that line in my version, bought via Amazon.co.uk. I have Annie's Berkeley version. Jill

M.Meade is not mentioned in my version. :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The film was my introduction to the Camino. I've seen it more times than I'd like to admit. When needing a little escape, I'll go out on a training hike and put the soundtrack on my ipod. 40 sleeps to go!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.