• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I arrive into Santiago de Compostela at 5am from Porto

kimchat

Time of past OR future Camino
walked camino de finisterre and walking camino Frances 15/8/2019
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any hostels that will accept me at 5am? I am getting the coach from Porto and arrive at 5am on Wednesday morning into Santiago de Compostela. I had booked a cheap hotel that has 24hour reception but they cancelled my booking and said I am unable to check in at 5am, I am a solo female traveller so a bit apprehensive.

I could stay in Porto the Tuesday night, however, i have booked my coach already to Santiago and I would like to get there so I can get out to Sarria the following day instead of doing two big coach journeys in one day (Porto to Santiago and then Santiago to Sarria). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,

Kim :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kimchat!

There are plenty of albergues open 24 hours. Let me mention some of them:

Albergue Roots and Boots, 48 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, garden, pilgrims, and tourists, open 24 hours, 18 -20 Euros

Albergue Mundoalbergue, 34 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, garden, pilgrims and tourists, open 24 hours, 17 Euros

Albergue Turístico La Salle, 84 beds, opens from February to mid- December, heating, microwave, pilgrims and tourists, open 24 hours, 17-19 Euros

They are all in Central Santiago, about 15 min from the Cathedral. If they are full let me know, because there are more of 24h/albergues. I would advise you to start from Roots and Boots.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Kimchat!

There are plenty of albergues open 24 hours. Let me mention some of them:

Albergue Roots and Boots, 48 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, garden, pilgrims, and tourists, open 24 hours, 18 -20 Euros

Albergue Mundoalbergue, 34 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, garden, pilgrims and tourists, open 24 hours, 17 Euros

Albergue Turístico La Salle, 84 beds, opens from February to mid- December, heating, microwave, pilgrims and tourists, open 24 hours, 17-19 Euros

They are all in Central Santiago, about 15 min from the Cathedral. If they are full let me know, because there are more of 24h/albergues. I would advise you to start from Roots and Boots.
[/QUOT

All of these options are sold out tomorrow night. Do you know of any others? Thanks in advance :)

Also The Last Stamp/El Ultimo Sello. It's very near the church and the front desk is manned (peopled?) 24 hours. I like that place.
Thank you, I did try here, but fully booked also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All of these options are sold out tomorrow night. Do you know of any others? Thanks in advance :)

No worries Kim, I know all of the albergues on the Camino;)

By the cathedral

Albergue Azabache, 20 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, pilgrims, and tourists, they might not have a space for bikes, open 24 hours, 16-18 Euros

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any hostels that will accept me at 5am? I am getting the coach from Porto and arrive at 5am on Wednesday morning into Santiago de Compostela. I had booked a cheap hotel that has 24hour reception but they cancelled my booking and said I am unable to check in at 5am, I am a solo female traveller so a bit apprehensive.

I could stay in Porto the Tuesday night, however, i have booked my coach already to Santiago and I would like to get there so I can get out to Sarria the following day instead of doing two big coach journeys in one day (Porto to Santiago and then Santiago to Sarria). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,

Kim :)
Personally, I would see if there was an early bus to Sarria get there the same day. Places that have 24 hr reception still may not have 24 hour check in.

15 min from the cathedral:

Albergue Meiga Backpackers, 30 beds, opens from the beginning of March until the beginning of December, heating, a kitchen, garden, pilgrims, and tourists, open 24 hours, 15 Euros

Albergue Porta Real, 24 beds, open all year round, heating, microwave, pilgrims, and tourists, open 24 hours, 12 -16 Euros

Albergue La Estrella de Santiago, 24 beds, open all year round, a kitchen, pilgrims only, 24 hours, 10 – 15 Euros

By the cathedral

Albergue Azabache, 20 beds, open all year round, heating, a kitchen, pilgrims, and tourists, they might not have a space for bikes, open 24 hours, 16-18 Euros

This one says that they don't accept guests after 2pm :/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I see. Some of them as tercile already said let you in 24h if you have a code, but they do not necessarily have somebody on duty

This one says that they don't accept guests after 2pm :/
Personally, I would see if there was an early bus to Sarria get there the same day. Places that have 24 hr reception still may not have 24 hour check in.
I believe there are only buses/trains in the afternoon that go to Sarria from Santiago de Compostela?

I believe there are only buses/trains in the afternoon that go to Sarria from Santiago de Compostela?

Perhaps i am better forgetting the coach i paid to Santiago and just stay in Porto tomorrow night and travel to Santiago and then on to Sarria all on Wednesday day?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stay in Porto and drink some fortified wine. Now is a high season so getting anything in Santiago may be a problem

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Plus starting your Camino from the place you suppose to finish it doesn't sound right ;) Sarria is uninspiring place, so you can go to bed as soon as you arrive and leave it the next morning without looking back.

Good points. Thank you.

One more question. I only have a sleeping bag liner to sleep in as I read so much about it being hot and a liner was all i needed this time of year.Is this correct? Or should I nip out in the morning and buy a thin sleeping bag just in case or will the liner be enough?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cycled the Camino in August once, it was very hot, but I still had thin sleeping bag.... I don't know...Maybe try liner you have and if you are cold you can buy something in Sarria.

One more - Sarria is a starting point for many pilgrims so it is mad. So my advice to you would be calling in advance Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena and check if they can reserve the bed for you. There are 19 albergues in Sarria so plenty to choose from however they can be noisy. I'm sure that you have good guidebook, but if you need any more info on Sarria you can check mine (it is for cyclists, so ignore all "no space for bike"etc) https://caminodesantiagobybike.co.uk/guidebook/13-samos-to-melide-75-90-km/

Albergues are in blue. At the bottom of the list of hostels in Sarria there is one that is about 5 km from the town. If you are tired after all that traveling to Portugal and Spain maybe you can have lazy breakfast in Sarria, walk 5 km and stay there for the night?

Buen Camino Kim! Let us know what have you decided

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd recommend Km.0, 2 mins from Santiago de Compestela. Reception open 24hrs. Book a bottom bunk, same price as top but queen size bed with sheets and duvet. https://santiagokm0.es/

Porto is lovely but if I ‘d bought a bus ticket I’d want to use it!
I’d probably be itching to get to Sarria too and would be on the next bus or train!

Also The Last Stamp/El Ultimo Sello. It's very near the church and the front desk is manned (peopled?) 24 hours. I like that place.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can’t check in there until afternoon but they will let you leave your luggage there til check-in time. In an excellent locatation and very good overall.

We have struggled to get in to the Last Stamp so are trying KM 0 this time which has good reports.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Or alternatively the bus journey to Sarria is not too bad and see if you can check in early to the DP Cristal early and have a rest day in Sarria.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back