• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino I arrived in Galicia

peregrinapenguin

Time of past OR future Camino
I arrived in Galicia by a midnight bus early today . As the sun was rising I was walking into the central city of Lugo and the Roman walls were breathtaking. A quick breakfast and a short walk to the train station and I am on my way to Sarria. Hint, don't try to walk up and get a ticket to Sarria on the same day in Madrid. Here is the view from my hotel. I will attend pilgrim mass at the church in the picture tonight at 7 pm if the poster on the door was up to date(Aug. 19, 2021, covid -19 measures changing schedules), Iglesia de Santa Marina. I got wished Buen Camino by someone and I wasn't even with my backpack. Everything seems wondrous.

Attachments

• 20210819_151530.jpg
    20210819_151530.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 142
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I arrived in Galicia by a midnight bus early today . As the sun was rising I was walking into the central city of Lugo and the Roman walls were breathtaking. A quick breakfast and a short walk to the train station and I am on my way to Sarria. Hint, don't try to walk up and get a ticket to Sarria on the same day in Madrid. Here is the view from my hotel. I will attend pilgrim mass at the church in the picture tonight at 7 pm if the poster on the door was up to date(Aug. 19, 2021, covid -19 measures changing schedules), Iglesia de Santa Marina. I got wished Buen Camino by someone and I wasn't even with my backpack. Everything seems wondrous.
Thanks for sharing your excitement. Many of your unknown digital "family" on this forum also wish you Buen Camino!
May you have a wonder-filled journey.
Stay safe and Carpe Diem.

I remember Psalm 146 today--the LORD watches over the sojourner. Sarria to Paradela today. Apparently I'm on the bicycle trail. There was a steep 8% grade with a sign about it. I'm all settled in at Albergue M___. Lovely hiking. Lovely mass last night, I lit some candles for Buddy Gomez. I remember Psalm 146 today.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wish I could be walking this year. Enjoy the experience. Hope to be back walking next year with a new hip!! I want to do the Norte because of connections with my paternal grandparents who could not live the northern Welsh winters.
Do some good training especially with that new hip. You will be walking a beautiful camino. I do not know if you have walked before but if you have I think of the more traveled caminos it is the second toughest after the Primitivo. There is alot of information here about variants that you can take to save you from walking on roads and keep you on gentler paths and closer to the actual coastline. Lots of pretty step and long up and downhills. Take your poles to help propel you up and make sure you zig zag on the downhills and let your polls take alot of the downhill weight off your hips and knees. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do some good training especially with that new hip. You will be walking a beautiful camino. I do not know if you have walked before but if you have I think of the more traveled caminos it is the second toughest after the Primitivo. There is alot of information here about variants that you can take to save you from walking on roads and keep you on gentler paths and closer to the actual coastline. Lots of pretty step and long up and downhills. Take your poles to help propel you up and make sure you zig zag on the downhills and let your polls take alot of the downhill weight off your hips and knees. Buen Camino
Thank you for those kind words. I have walked Sarria to Santiago, Sienna to Viterbo and Porto to Santiago. I really would like to visit places where my father and paternal grandparents escaped from the damp/cold Welsh winters. I am retired so If I can get Health Insurance it really doesn't matter how long it takes. Thanks again.

Thank you for those kind words. I have walked Sarria to Santiago, Sienna to Viterbo and Porto to Santiago. I really would like to visit places where my father and paternal grandparents escaped from the damp/cold Welsh winters. I am retired so If I can get Health Insurance it really doesn't matter how long it takes. Thanks again.
I have gotten health insurance every time I go to Spain. It really came in handy last time as I had bronchial spasms and had to go to a hospital and a clinic for treatment. It was about $275US but well worth it. I am sorry I can't tell you who I used in 2019 but the cost depends alot on your age (I was 65 in 2019) and what country you are living in. Although I am an American citizen I live in Mexico and I needed to use Mexico as my country to keep it legal according to my Insurance agent.

I have gotten health insurance every time I go to Spain. It really came in handy last time as I had bronchial spasms and had to go to a hospital and a clinic for treatment. It was about $275US but well worth it. I am sorry I can't tell you who I used in 2019 but the cost depends alot on your age (I was 65 in 2019) and what country you are living in. Although I am an American citizen I live in Mexico and I needed to use Mexico as my country to keep it legal according to my Insurance agent.
THANKS!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the positive replies. Am still walking as my Doc says I must. Getting used to using poles for both support and confidence. Hope & pray the surgery will be soon. I NEED/WANT to walk another Camino. However, I will not be stupid, at my age I cannot afford to be!! Axx

Thank you. Yes, I have walked Sarria to Santiago, Viterbo to Rome and Porto to Santiago. the first two with a group and the last alone. The Portugeuse Coastal route was stunning. At 75 am not sure how many more Caminos I can fit in. However, I will keep positive and be greedy and hope for another 2 or 3!!!

Thanks for all the positive replies. Am still walking as my Doc says I must. Getting used to using poles for both support and confidence. Hope & pray the surgery will be soon. I NEED/WANT to walk another Camino. However, I will not be stupid, at my age I cannot afford to be!! Axx
Get your surgery and do your rehab and talk to a trainer about exercise and training for your camino. Another idea i have is to check out Gronze.com and start your camino in Bayonne instead of Irun. I wish I would have done this to give me a 3 day warm up to get ready for that first tough day from Irun to San Sebastian. Gronze has it in 2 stages but if I was to do it again I would break it into 3 stages and as Gronze states for day 3 if the weather is good take the route along the ocean as it is spectacular. Remember you probably have the luxury of time when you walk. Walk in spring or start in mid September to avoid the Spanish tourists. In spring make sure you avoid Semana Santa of course. I would say do not walk to San Sebastian that first day. Stop in Pasajes. There is a steep downhill and then a hole bunch of steps after the downhill and the ferry to San Sebastian.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get your surgery and do your rehab and talk to a trainer about exercise and training for your camino. Another idea i have is to check out Gronze.com and start your camino in Bayonne instead of Irun. I wish I would have done this to give me a 3 day warm up to get ready for that first tough day from Irun to San Sebastian. Gronze has it in 2 stages but if I was to do it again I would break it into 3 stages and as Gronze states for day 3 if the weather is good take the route along the ocean as it is spectacular. Remember you probably have the luxury of time when you walk. Walk in spring or start in mid September to avoid the Spanish tourists. In spring make sure you avoid Semana Santa of course. I would say do not walk to San Sebastian that first day. Stop in Pasajes. There is a steep downhill and then a hole bunch of steps after the downhill and the ferry to San Sebastian.
Thank you so much for your positive support. My Pilates coach is working hard to keep me the rest of me fit whilst waiting for a new hip.

Been camino. I've not walked (Camino) since 2019. Still dreaming
Nosotros tambien. I can't believe that we returned from a camino more than two years ago. It seems so surreal. It looks like it will be a full three years before we return. 😢

Been camino. I've not walked (Camino) since 2019. Still dreaming

Saturday in Portomarin. I have a nice pilgrim room alone with a shower/bath /restroom down the hall. And I'm booked slightly off the camino for tomorrow. Had mild trouble finding a solo room for tomorrow, nothing to really write home about. The clerk helped me after I struck out a couple of times. Tonight I'm going to the toy museum and the mass at 8 o'clock in San Xaun(Niclaus) . The walk was everything I passed an old stone shelter, vineyards, farm scenes. Oh I walked by the public albergue about noon and there were a lot of people waiting. Finally, here is a Friday report while we wait for Ivar's video Monday or Tuesday .https://www.spainenglish.com/2021/08/20/coronavirus-spain-20-august-2021/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for sharing your excitement. Many of your unknown digital "family" on this forum also wish you Buen Camino!
May you have a wonder-filled journey.
Stay safe and Carpe Diem.
Monday and all my nights are secured for the rest of the week. That is a good feeling. Enjoying shorter walks stopping at almost every church , time to think ,and slow down.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Monday and all my nights are secured for the rest of the week. That is a good feeling. Enjoying shorter walks stopping at almost every church , time to think ,and slow down.
Glad that you are enjoying an easier pace. Please do write when you can.
Carpe diem.

Late start in Palas de Rei with an empty mochillo so I buy a t shirt to carry with the Celtic flag for Galicia. Immediate experience of going down the alternate way that comes out by the bakery that has the statue of 2 pilgrims exchanging directions! I feel very smart for seeing that yellow arrow.

Attachments

• 20210823_105312.jpg
    20210823_105312.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Today I had to say goodbye to my regular taxi driver and the hotel caretaker. They helped a lot. I had bacalao, for instance the taxi told me where as well as where to catch the bus back from Arzua to Palas. Today I am eating gespach somewhere on the camino between Arzua and Mount Joy, my longest walk . Starting to look forward to the arrival into the city in the early morning light although I do agree with Ernesto Hemingway about the journey being what it was about, in the end!

the end of the journey. No sunlight to excite me this morning. It was a drizzling rain kind of day until noon. The walk out from Monte do Gozo straight to the Office of the Peregrino gave me one or 2 passing glimpses of the cathedral as I took the upside winding streets like Rua de Bonaval. (Also I saw it from the mount when I went to its highest point on my way to my albergue). After giving my pre information (all online on my phone but with help) I received a number in the queue and a link to see when they were getting close to my number. This wound up being three hours today, August 26th,2021. So I turned the wide corner to the majestic front of the cathedral! Walked up to the front door and was told how to enter which is on a different side ,but "no backpacks"! Walked straight to the pilgrim house and made new friends there ! Walked back sans mochillos (I have 2 --my little flimsy one and the normal one) and got in the line for the holy door entrance. I had already been to two masses on the camino the one before starting in Sarria and the one at Portomarin at St.Johns. Very very outstanding .You go by these little alcoves and the pious are talking to priests,maybe having confession? and one had a small service going on. It was dark. Then you go under the alter to see the box that sits above the tomb of James!
After a fast bakery (savory and meat items)lunch right there at that smaller plaza by the holy door and entrance for mass doors it was time to go get my certificate. That also was a nice experience and feeling of accomplishment.I sat in the chapel a little while.
More time with new friends at Pilgrim House then I left by way of the arch tunnel to enjoy the flowers in front of the monastery one more time and the bagpiper in the tunnel and see the front of this magnificent cathedral again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the end of the journey. No sunlight to excite me this morning. It was a drizzling rain kind of day until noon. The walk out from Monte do Gozo straight to the Office of the Peregrino gave me one or 2 passing glimpses of the cathedral as I took the upside winding streets like Rua de Bonaval. (Also I saw it from the mount when I went to its highest point on my way to my albergue). After giving my pre information (all online on my phone but with help) I received a number in the queue and a link to see when they were getting close to my number. This wound up being three hours today, August 26th,2021. So I turned the wide corner to the majestic front of the cathedral! Walked up to the front door and was told how to enter which is on a different side ,but "no backpacks"! Walked straight to the pilgrim house and made new friends there ! Walked back sans mochillos (I have 2 --my little flimsy one and the normal one) and got in the line for the holy door entrance. I had already been to two masses on the camino the one before starting in Sarria and the one at Portomarin at St.Johns. Very very outstanding .You go by these little alcoves and the pious are talking to priests,maybe having confession? and one had a small service going on. It was dark. Then you go under the alter to see the box that sits above the tomb of James!
After a fast bakery (savory and meat items)lunch right there at that smaller plaza by the holy door and entrance for mass doors it was time to go get my certificate. That also was a nice experience and feeling of accomplishment.I sat in the chapel a little while.
More time with new friends at Pilgrim House then I left by way of the arch tunnel to enjoy the flowers in front of the monastery one more time and the bagpiper in the tunnel and see the front of this magnificent cathedral again.

Congratulations!

Your arrival sounds atmospheric. Well done on your Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It was an outstanding arrival. and I'm watching your camino! I'm now home safely. On my longest day I had to rest in the shade for 2 hours from the heat, still making it to Monte Do Gozo for 8 or 9 o'clock supper(reply to your Sunday post) after a shower.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back