• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Booked My Flight! (errr…should have researched first…)

Stellere

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2014 - con mi padre
First: I'm so excited! We've purchased our flights. We will arrive in Paris on March 16th. And we leave from Paris on April 29th. WE'RE GOING!!!!

Second: I should have researched more first. Getting from Santiago to Paris is seeming more and more complicated. I see flights on Vueling for 120 pounds. Will this be the best that we can do? How far in advance should we book with Vueling if we want to fly from Santiago to Paris? Is there a better way to get to Paris?

Help?
S

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First: I'm so excited! We've purchased our flights. We will arrive in Paris on March 16th. And we leave from Paris on April 29th. WE'RE GOING!!!!

Second: I should have researched more first. Getting from Santiago to Paris is seeming more and more complicated. I see flights on Vueling for 120 pounds. Will this be the best that we can do? How far in advance should we book with Vueling if we want to fly from Santiago to Paris? Is there a better way to get to Paris?

Help?
S

Why do you have to fly back from Paris? Can't you just take a train to Madrid and fly out of there instead?

Hi, Stellere,

Yours is a good cautionary tale, though I am sorry that you will have to spend a lot of money to get back to Paris. Since SJPP became the starting point of choice for North American pilgrims (this happened when The Way became popular, I think), many pilgrims have just assumed that the best place to fly in and out of is Paris. In my experience that has never been the case.

I would encourage all pilgrims to compare several fares: Round trip to Paris; Round Trip to Madrid; Open jaw into Paris and out of Madrid. But to get a good sense of real costs, you have to factor in the cost of getting to and from your starting and ending points to the airport. If you really want to evaluate as many options as possible, you should also check out US to Madrid to Pamplona and return being Santiago to Madrid to US. That has been the cheapest for me in the last few years.

This is a lot of frustrating work and makes you wish for the days of travel agents, but hundreds of dollars are at stake.

For me, I found that flying in and out of Madrid is usually the cheapest. I sometimes add onto my ticket the internal flights (from Madrid to my starting point and then from Santiago to Madrid) and usually that saves me a lot of money. I don't have to pay for the train from Santiago to Madrid and then spend a night in Madrid. Of course sometimes I want to spend a night in Madrid so this option is perfect.

In any event, each case is individual and with deregulated airlines in the US you have to shop around and factor in a lot of permutations if you are determined to get the cheapest total transportation cost.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I flew in and out of Europe via Paris

A few days before I finished my walk I booked my flight from Santiago back to Paris, I think it was Vuelling
It was very inexpensive (by North American standards)

I had thought I may train back to Paris so I could enjoy the beautiful countryside, but ended up walking to Finisterre instead.

Enjoy your trip
Buen Camino

Cheryl

. I see flights on Vueling for 120 pounds. Will this be the best that we can do? How far in advance should we book with Vueling if we want to fly from Santiago to Paris?
S

I think some of the discount airlines only start offering ninety days in advance. If you try booking ahead of that you risk paying more.

The other thing. Go to the various websites for the airlines that do the route and sign up for the newsletters. A couple of weeks back Vueling had a sale and you likely could have gotten that flight for half. Sales come and go so the newsletters are a great .

You can also setup a search with skyscanner . The website will email you every week.

Last edited:
I would encourage all pilgrims to compare several fares: Round trip to Paris; Round Trip to Madrid; Open jaw into Paris and out of Madrid. But to get a good sense of real costs, you have to factor in the cost of getting to and from your starting and ending points to the airport. If you really want to evaluate as many options as possible, you should also check out US to Madrid to Pamplona and return being Santiago to Madrid to US. That has been the cheapest for me in the last few years.

While I agree with what you said the OP has already booked the flight.

Not only do people have to add in all the costs listed they should include time. Stress. A direct flight means only dealing with security once. Only getting your bag once.

If people are really looking at the cheapest and not worried about the other issues I guess the new Norwegian flights once they start next summer will be a good starting point. But they fly to London and you'll likely need to pay the baggage fee. But for people willing to do multiple flights or looking to spend some time in London it might be worth it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Options:

Take Easy Jet or Ryanair from Santiago to London. Then fly from London to Paris. Its more complicated but it may be cheaper. Try to avoid flights that require transfer between London airports as the shuttle is expensive and takes a lot of time.

Take the train. Santiago to Irun/Hendaye with Renfe. Irun/Hendaye to Paris with SNCF. Some trains go to Charles de Gaulle airport. Trains are fast, comfortable, and run relatively frequently. There are multiple paths ... there might be better schedule options if you go Santiago to Barcelona then take the new line from Barcelona to Paris.

Take the train from Santiago to Biarritz ... which involves the transfer at Irun. Fly from Biarritz to Paris.

I flew with Easy Jet from Madrid to London on 19 December with a ticket purchased that morning. Its cheaper (sometimes significantly cheaper) and less risk of not getting a seat if you book earlier. I'm not sure how close your dates of travel are to Easter ... but there should not otherwise be high demand at the time of year you are travelling.

All airports in Spain are operated by Aena. Each airport has information about carriers and destinations.
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...s/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Paris Airports
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/en-gb/passagers/home/

Biarritz Airport. Biarritz is the closest airport to SJPdP and closest to Irun/Hendaye border crossing.
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Spains train Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Frances train SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

Other options might be to travel Santiago to Madrid or Barcelona by air or train then onward to Paris by air. I haven't checked if there are flights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Help?
S
I had a similiar situation BUT caught myself after some research.
last year when I did the Frances I flew into Paris and bought a flight after that booking to Southern France.
Honestly it would have been about the same cost if I had booked from my local airport to Southern France in one swoop.

This year I did just that BUT ran into a problem getting back to Paris from St Jean...I actually chose to fly out about two days later than I wanted to just to get a flight that cooresponded to that flight out of Paris time frame. I think a Friday flight allowed that.

I have changed my usual exit from Santiago this Camino. I am going to catch a bus to Porto, I think around a 4 hour trip, and have booked an easyjet flight from there to Paris. Furthermore I have booked a room in the hotel opposite terminal 3 (I think it is virtually in the terminal). I arrive lateish the night before flying home - just have to cross the terminal on arrival, and return the next day to catch my flight. I got a very good price on both the flight and the room, and will decide closer to SdC as to whether I go to Porto and do the tourist bit, or go down and straight to the airport on the day.

The train is a lovely way to ease back into pre Camino life, but it does take along time! Janet

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much for your suggestions, everyone! This is extremely helpful.

We bought to/from Paris because it was *much* cheaper from our starting point. We've been keeping an eye on flights over the past year, and this is as good a price as we've seen. In fact, round trip to/from Paris was cheaper than one-way to Paris. Who knows why! A flight into Paris and out of Madrid would have cost us more two and a half times what we paid.

I'm OK with flying Vueling, and 120 pounds is still affordable. I just don't want to leave things to the last minute and end up not getting on a flight. I'm all for taking things day by day on the camino - but I need to make sure that I can get home at the end of it. Ha! Anyway, I'm signing up for the Vueling newsletter and will take a look at all of the options.

Thanks again, so much!

I couldn't sleep last night because I was so excited about booking our flight.

Oops! Posted too fast! I meant to add that I hope I don't have three months of sleepless nights ahead of me. Haha!

You have booked now but think Dublin. Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz €30 to 40. Easy to get to Bayonne and sjpdep. Then book aer lingus Santiago to Dublin again less than €50 . Don't book too early , 3 months or less plenty of time. Good connections to a lot of U S international airports. You also drop down to Guinness Brewery and get your 1st stamp and a free pint. Last time I was in pilgrims office in Santiago the young lady saw my Guinness stamp and wanted to know did I walk from Dublin. Hope this helpful to future pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks so much for your suggestions, everyone! This is extremely helpful.

We bought to/from Paris because it was *much* cheaper from our starting point. We've been keeping an eye on flights over the past year, and this is as good a price as we've seen. In fact, round trip to/from Paris was cheaper than one-way to Paris. Who knows why! A flight into Paris and out of Madrid would have cost us more two and a half times what we paid.

I'm OK with flying Vueling, and 120 pounds is still affordable. I just don't want to leave things to the last minute and end up not getting on a flight. I'm all for taking things day by day on the camino - but I need to make sure that I can get home at the end of it. Ha! Anyway, I'm signing up for the Vueling newsletter and will take a look at all of the options.

Thanks again, so much!

I couldn't sleep last night because I was so excited about booking our flight.
You might also look at Air France from Paris to Vigo.... then a 1 hour train rain ride up to Santiago.

Not only do people have to add in all the costs listed they should include time. Stress. A direct flight means only dealing with security once. Only getting your bag once.

Wow, lots of good ideas here. I agree completely with Nico that for some of us, the stress-free option is worth the higher price. And for others, it's important to land in one city or another in order to have a few days to be a tourist there.

But what all these posts show once again is that if your priority is to keep down travel costs, there are lots and lots of options to check out and add up. In some cases the cheap air fare to Europe becomes a lot less cheap when you add on the transportation to the start of the Camino and then back again from Santiago. As I've probably said a million times, it makes me yearn for the days of travel agents.

Of course if you get a fare as dirt cheap as Stellere describes, it makes sense to jump at it and then worry about the intra-Europe transportation later. Unfortunately, I've never been that lucky and for me, there is usually a pretty big difference in price if I compare some of the many options once I land in Europe.

It's great to see once again that there are so many knowledgeable people on this forum who will help people work through choices on things like open jaw vs. standard round trip; train vs. bus vs. plane; etc.

Buen camino everyone, Laurie

I have also been exploring many options, but I won't be booking a flight untill February when our vacation time will be confirmed. Up to now, in order to get a direct flight with the best price without complications (transfers & long delays between flights) our arrival and departure will be in Paris. Going down to St-Jean by train and going back to Paris with a Vueling flight from Santiago. Going back from Madrid to Montreal means a flight of 24 hours with transfers through New York or Chicago! Bordeaux was a possibilty, but basically no flights untill May, and we plan to walk in late April. Biarritz/Bayonne flights are beyond expensive from Montréal.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am baffled often when I read people flying into France and then taking trains, buses, train again, bus/taxis to get to SJPDP when flying transatlantic. I remembered flying into Barcelona and comfortably hopping on a bus to Pamplona (3 hours). Then, a bus ride to SJPDP (1 hour), which dropped us about 100 meters from the Spanish Gate ("start" point). The land transportation was about 30 Euros, took me about 6 hours, all daylight comfortable hours, had plenty time to explored SJPDP. Ever since, I have also used Madrid many times; the ALSA buses leaving from Terminal 4 are beyond convenient!

BTW, I walked Bobadilla del Camino to Fromista with an elderly couple from Ireland who flew Dublin to San Sebastian for 30 Euros each!! So NOT fair!! ;)

Last edited:
Thank you again for all of the suggestions. You've given me plenty of food for thought.

This forum is a very special place.

seat61.com has details of train travel from Santiago to Paris. Lots of good advice on the site about how to buy tickets, particularly a US agency that has access to the renfe system. Prices can be surprisingly low. Last time I looked London to SJPP midweek, off season, one way was £89 by Eurostar, TGV and local trains.
http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm#Santiago

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
[...]If you really want to evaluate as many options as possible, you should also check out US to Madrid to Pamplona and return being Santiago to Madrid to US. That has been the cheapest for me in the last few years. [...]
This is exactly what we have been doing over the past years. This year we flew SJO-MAD-OVD and SCQ-MAD-SJO and you can't beat the comfort, if not the cost. Strarting another "Camino" we flew to Pamplona, enjoyed a good look at the city (and caught up with jet lag!) and traveled by bus to Roncesvalles. From there it's a hop over the mountain to SJPP which doesn't cost an arm and a leg (but it's tough to start from)

You have booked now but think Dublin. Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz €30 to 40. Easy to get to Bayonne and sjpdep. Then book aer lingus Santiago to Dublin again less than €50 . Don't book too early , 3 months or less plenty of time. Good connections to a lot of U S international airports. You also drop down to Guinness Brewery and get your 1st stamp and a free pint. Last time I was in pilgrims office in Santiago the young lady saw my Guinness stamp and wanted to know did I walk from Dublin. Hope this helpful to future pilgrims.
Man I feel so cheated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great tip!
Next time that is what I will try to plan:)
Might run into a Neve over there...never have in my few decades in the States....
Neve

I am baffled often when I read people flying into France and then taking trains, buses, train again, bus/taxis to get to SJPDP when flying transatlantic. I remembered flying into Barcelona and comfortably hopping on a bus to Pamplona (3 hours). Then, a bus ride to SJPDP (1 hour), which dropped us about 100 meters from the Spanish Gate ("start" point). The land transportation was about 30 Euros, took me about 6 hours, all daylight comfortable hours, had plenty time to explored SJPDP. Ever since, I have also used Madrid many times; the ALSA buses leaving from Terminal 4 are beyond convenient!

BTW, I walked Bobadilla del Camino to Fromista with an elderly couple from Ireland who flew Dublin to San Sebastian for 30 Euros each!! So NOT fair!! ;)

I am baffled as well, with the time and money of getting back to Paris from Santiago, you could have booked a multiple destination ticket for the same price or less, even if it costs a little more, it is money well spent.
Try searching Expedia for multi destination flights from LAX to Pamplona, and Santiago to LAX, you might be surprised compared to a R/T from LAX to and from Paris.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We are going into and out of Paris because, like the OP, it is MUCH cheaper than going via Madrid or Barcelona, or going into Paris and out of Spain. I'm talking at least a third of the price, including the trains to and from, etc.

The other reason is that we're meeting my sister and niece in Paris as they'll have spent the week there and then going down to SJPP together.

It is really bizarre how much difference their is in flight prices for fairly comparable distances.

We are going into and out of Paris because, like the OP, it is MUCH cheaper than going via Madrid or Barcelona, or going into Paris and out of Spain. I'm talking at least a third of the price, including the trains to and from, etc.

The other reason is that we're meeting my sister and niece in Paris as they'll have spent the week there and then going down to SJPP together.

It is really bizarre how much difference their is in flight prices for fairly comparable distances.

Lallibeans, I couldn't agree more. I think that for North Americans, flights into Madrid are routinely much cheaper than flights into Paris, and for Australia/NZ it seems like the opposite is usually true. Who knows why that is, but being "forced" to go in and out of Paris is not such a huge punishment anyway. ;)

Lallibeans, I couldn't agree more. I think that for North Americans, flights into Madrid are routinely much cheaper than flights into Paris, and for Australia/NZ it seems like the opposite is usually true. Who knows why that is, but being "forced" to go in and out of Paris is not such a huge punishment anyway. ;)

It depends on where in NA that you start from. Cheapest usually is Vancouver to London followed by Vancouver to Paris. I note the OP is from Canada too.

Its a mystery to me that it is always cheaper to buy round trip ticket when flying NA. The European system of one way tickets is much more flexible.

Flights from Vancouver to Madrid invariably involve a stop at London or Paris. Possibly because the flights start in late evening, (plus travel time from where I live to YVR) I am more than ready to get off the plane by the time I get there and am glad I don't have another three hours to Madrid plus airport time. Sitting in a plane is an ordeal.

Maybe next time I'll go to Miami, stay a night, and catch a direct flight from there to Madrid. I'm finding that quibbling over a couple hundred bucks isn't worth it if I have to decompress with jet lag for days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
i rode the train to hendaya, france and next morning train to paris. another way might be fly ryan air to geneva and train to paris.

Help?
S
I am in the process of booking my trip and discovered Ryanair flies out of Santiago to Dublin so it is quite possible they fly to Paris. The cost to Dublin was $130. Which was quite good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Its a mystery to me that it is always cheaper to buy round trip ticket when flying NA. The European system of one way tickets is much more flexible.

The short haul EU planes are basically buses. Some of the planes do six flights in one day.

A transatlantic flight can't do that. An empty seat is much worse .

It depends on where in NA that you start from. Cheapest usually is Vancouver to London followed by Vancouver to Paris. I note the OP is from Canada too.

Flights from Vancouver to Madrid invariably involve a stop at London or Paris. Possibly because the flights start in late evening, (plus travel time from where I live to YVR) I am more than ready to get off the plane by the time I get there and am glad I don't have another three hours to Madrid plus airport time. Sitting in a plane is an ordeal.

Maybe next time I'll go to Miami, stay a night, and catch a direct flight from there to Madrid. I'm finding that quibbling over a couple hundred bucks isn't worth it if I have to decompress with jet lag for days.
Hi P
I like your suggestion to fly to Barcelona or Madrid, then bus it. I'm flying from Australia via Dubai. Would you mind telling me if you got the bus from the airport terminal to Pamplona or did you stay in the city and where? Thanks Helen

Gesha-- from Barcelona: I took the Blue Bus (5 Euros) from outside the Airport Baggage Claim Area to Plaza Cataluna. Then train to bus station (Sants), bought a bus ticket to Pamplona (24 Euros; 3.5 hrs). Even easier is to take the train/bus from the Airport direct to the Sants Station, buy ticket to Pamplona. Pretty straightforward. The bus dropped me off at the Pamplona Bus station. I did not stay in Pamplona. There is a bus to SJPDP once/day, in the afternoon I believe. People just hanged out at the Pamplona Bus Station (comfortable, clean) waiting for this bus. I made a reservation with a van service called Express Bouricott. For 9 Euros each it took about 10 of us to SJPDP around 4pm. I had time to explore SJPDP, stamped my credential, and checked the weather forecast at the Pilgrims' Office. I recently read of an inn in Pamplona where you stay overnight, meals, and they drive you early to SJPDP to start your walk, all inclusive. Sounds very convenient.

From Madrid, the ALSA Bus system has dozens of buses leaving from Terminal 4 of Barajas Airport every day, including to Pamplona. I would definitely consult their itineraries.

.... I recently read of an inn in Pamplona where you stay overnight, meals, and they drive you early to SJPDP to start your walk, all inclusive. Sounds very convenient.....

The inn to which Olivares refers is the Curazon Curo pension. Here is their web.
I stayed there on the way down from Roncesvalles last October. All was comfy and the food most delicious. They do offer to pick up pilgrims in Pamplona and drive them to Saint Jean Pied de Port next morning.

MM

Help?
S
I'm reading some nay-sayers here.
You got a great deal and jumped on it. Good for you! Getting back from Santiago was more complicated for me, too. Find the best deal you can, get it, then don't let yourself be second-guessed. It'll be good practice for when you start walking! :rolleyes:

Thanks Kathy! Life being what it is…jumping on that ticket was the *best* thing that I could have done. Had I not already bought and paid for the ticket, I probably would have had to cancel my trip altogether. (Bankrupt employer, 2 months of unpaid backpay - luckily the big expenses of my trip are already paid and non-refundable) The world works in mysterious ways!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Kathy! Life being what it is…jumping on that ticket was the *best* thing that I could have done. Had I not already bought and paid for the ticket, I probably would have had to cancel my trip altogether. (Bankrupt employer, 2 months of unpaid backpay - luckily the big expenses of my trip are already paid and non-refundable) The world works in mysterious ways!
Ha! Yep, mysterious indeed.
How much of the Camino are you planning to walk (I assume you're going on the Camino Frances)? How much time do you have? It sounds like "spirits" beyond your control are lining up the stars for you and putting everything in place. It's going to be sooooooo good - I'm happy and excited for you.:D

Ha! Yep, mysterious indeed.
How much of the Camino are you planning to walk (I assume you're going on the Camino Frances)? How much time do you have? It sounds like "spirits" beyond your control are lining up the stars for you and putting everything in place. It's going to be sooooooo good - I'm happy and excited for you.:D
Thank you! My father and I are walking together. We'll arrive in Paris on March 16, make our way down to SJPP by train at a leisurely pace, and start walking on March 18, weather permitting. We fly from Santiago to Paris on April 27. So that gives us 40 days - a nice round number. I haven't been able to train much, since I've been working crazy hours to try to make up for the two months of pay that I lost. So we'll either take it nice and slow to Santiago, or else stop for a few days somewhere pretty along the way, or else tack on an extra walk to Finisterre or Muxia at the end. We'll take it as it comes! I'm so excited!

Thank you! My father and I are walking together. We'll arrive in Paris on March 16, make our way down to SJPP by train at a leisurely pace, and start walking on March 18, weather permitting. We fly from Santiago to Paris on April 27. So that gives us 40 days - a nice round number. I haven't been able to train much, since I've been working crazy hours to try to make up for the two months of pay that I lost. So we'll either take it nice and slow to Santiago, or else stop for a few days somewhere pretty along the way, or else tack on an extra walk to Finisterre or Muxia at the end. We'll take it as it comes! I'm so excited!

FYI, here's my experience in a nutshell:

I took 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago de Campostella (SdC) and I didn't have any time constraints. I did some training but still found the first day across the Pyrenees very difficult. The weather was very bad during that first week, so I know that slowed me down. I hope you have good weather but do not second guess the locals in SJPdP - whatever advice they give you, take it. You don't want your first days on the Camino to be your last (sadly, that actually happens!!!)

I spent an extra day in three towns. If you run short of time, you might want to just keep going. It depends on what you want to get out of your Camino.

I walked every day but you'll find LOTS of discussion on this forum about whether taking public transportation for part of the Camino is "cheating." It would be for me, but I think the general consensus here is that it's up to you - it's your Camino !! You're the only one keeping score.

I walked between 18 - 25 kilometers a day, never less than 18, occasionally more than 25.

I did not participate in "the bed race" (veterans on the forum know what I'm talking about).

I slept late (wow, 0700!) and stayed up late. I didn't mind the snoring (too much) and had no encounters with bed bugs or things being stolen (I was alert). I had beer with lunch and wine with dinner every day and lost 12 pounds.

I met wonderful people who are my friends still and I long to get back on the Camino.

I'm envious of you and your Father.

Buen Camino

FYI, here's my experience in a nutshell:

I took 40 days from SJPdP to Santiago de Campostella (SdC) and I didn't have any time constraints. I did some training but still found the first day across the Pyrenees very difficult. The weather was very bad during that first week, so I know that slowed me down. I hope you have good weather but do not second guess the locals in SJPdP - whatever advice they give you, take it. You don't want your first days on the Camino to be your last (sadly, that actually happens!!!)

I spent an extra day in three towns. If you run short of time, you might want to just keep going. It depends on what you want to get out of your Camino.

I walked every day but you'll find LOTS of discussion on this forum about whether taking public transportation for part of the Camino is "cheating." It would be for me, but I think the general consensus here is that it's up to you - it's your Camino !! You're the only one keeping score.

I walked between 18 - 25 kilometers a day, never less than 18, occasionally more than 25.

I did not participate in "the bed race" (veterans on the forum know what I'm talking about).

I slept late (wow, 0700!) and stayed up late. I didn't mind the snoring (too much) and had no encounters with bed bugs or things being stolen (I was alert). I had beer with lunch and wine with dinner every day and lost 12 pounds.

I met wonderful people who are my friends still and I long to get back on the Camino.

I'm envious of you and your Father.

Buen Camino
Thanks for all of the great advice!

Saw your packing list. Looks good. I agree with many suggetions from "Kanga."
You might be able to drop one of your warm layers.
I'd go with the lighter pack.
Use hiking poles.
I'd take one or two more pairs of socks in case you run into wet wether and the pair you rinse out in the evening doesn't dry out by the next morning.
I used a baby fingernail scissors much more than I used my pocket knife (the scissors was a suggestion from someone on this forum).
You know your feet better than anyone. Vaseline would have been disasterous for my feet - my feet tend to sweat. I had to keep them as dry as possible (especially with all the rain I encountered), not keep them moisturized.
US credit cards do not necessarily work in Europe - I don't know about Canadian ones. Be aware of exorbitant cash advance charges if your debit cards don't work (there are work-arounds).
Keep everything in waterproof bags.
Take one flashlight.
DEFINITELY use hiking poles. Buy them in Spain if you worry about getting them on and off the plane.

Better to bring an ATM card for cash. I think all the Canadian banks are chip and pin now. The ATM card will provide most of the features in ATMs . Cash obviously but often things like automatic language change. Likely won't work in POS machines. One possible issue is most of the banks charge for ATM use abroad. Best to check with your bank.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Saw your packing list. Looks good. I agree with many suggetions from "Kanga."
You might be able to drop one of your warm layers.
I'd go with the lighter pack.
Use hiking poles.
I'd take one or two more pairs of socks in case you run into wet wether and the pair you rinse out in the evening doesn't dry out by the next morning.
I used a baby fingernail scissors much more than I used my pocket knife (the scissors was a suggestion from someone on this forum).
You know your feet better than anyone. Vaseline would have been disasterous for my feet - my feet tend to sweat. I had to keep them as dry as possible (especially with all the rain I encountered), not keep them moisturized.
US credit cards do not necessarily work in Europe - I don't know about Canadian ones. Be aware of exorbitant cash advance charges if your debit cards don't work (there are work-arounds).
Keep everything in waterproof bags.
Take one flashlight.
DEFINITELY use hiking poles. Buy them in Spain if you worry about getting them on and off the plane.
Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on buying a pair of nail scissors. I don't think I want to drop one of my warm layers - I really feel the cold - but I'm definitely leaning towards the lighter bag.

Better to bring an ATM card for cash. I think all the Canadian banks are chip and pin now. The ATM card will provide most of the features in ATMs . Cash obviously but often things like automatic language change. Likely won't work in POS machines. One possible issue is most of the banks charge for ATM use abroad. Best to check with your bank.
Thanks. Calling the bank is on my "to-do" list.

Spanish ATMs will accept only four-digit PINs. If you have a six-digit PIN, change it before you go. It is impossible to change it from overseas, in person, by phone, or over the internet. A Finnish friend had an ATM card with a chip, and it did not work. Technology is evolving in Spain, so that may change at any time.

Spanish ATMs will accept only four-digit PINs. If you have a six-digit PIN, change it before you go...
I found out that my card works in Spain on its last four digits. Didn't have to change the PIN code. :)

I hope that simply using the last four numbers on your card itself won't work for a pin??

Anyone could use your card if stolen or lost and drain your account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanish ATMs will accept only four-digit PINs. If you have a six-digit PIN, change it before you go...
I found out that my card works in Spain on its last four digits. Didn't have to change the PIN code. :)

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on buying a pair of nail scissors. I don't think I want to drop one of my warm layers - I really feel the cold - but I'm definitely leaning towards the lighter bag.
Yeah, I feel the cold easily also. I used long underwear for pajamas, even in the end of June!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.