• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I bought more pacer poles today...

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
So, a few years back, I bought a set of pacer poles.
I liked them, in fact I loved them.
But after a while, I just decided I didn't need them.
So I sold them, here on the forum.

Today, I took a hike up the canyon to a hill about 2,200 ft and back down again.
My knees were screaming, both up… and down the hill.

My friend let me use his regular walking stick.
No way, Jose!
I slipped and slid and realized (though it was difficult) that I'm no longer a spring chicken. :eek::eek::(
I need some poles.

As soon as I got home, I got online and ordered another set of pacer poles.

Some people have to touch the stove more than once.
I guess I'm one of them.

If I offer this set for sale,
please don't buy them!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :cool:

2vspveq.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm with Magwood! For me, Pacer poles have a similar psychological effect as 'swimming with flippers'. They seem to provide a higher gear when my legs are struggling, through increased power of two extra limbs pushing off the ground, greater security for my knees especially on descents and a greater conversation starter when others ask about their unique look.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome back to the fold. We will never let you go;-)
As penance you should put an update on the old thread - a confession.

Its not the type of poles that matter it is the individual that is using them. So many people these days purchase poles but do not have a clue how to wear them and use them. I've had a pair of LEKI poles now for over 12 years and possibly covered over 10,000 miles from Camino to Pyrenees to Everest trek no problem. they should be an aid not a fashion statement , they should be worked not dangling from your wrist. At the end on a hard day it should be your arms & shoulders aching not your knees or legs. If you don't learn how to use them correctly you could leave them at home and save some weight !!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't believe pacer poles would be that much of an improvement if any v my well used trusty Leki. And if it ain't broke why fix it.

Last edited:
Oh yes it does matter which make of poles you have. I used to use Leki poles, sometimes I used them sometimes I didn't, then I heard about Pacer poles on this forum. I sent off for my poles and learned to use them, yes a great difference but then the company bombard you with instructions on how to use them so maybe that's what makes them so much better, because I actually used them correctly. So I thought, lets try the old poles again, then if I loose them on the Camino or for some reason decide to dump them I won't need to worry because they were so much cheaper. Plus I was beginning to get fed up with the Pacer poles always always falling over whenever I lent them up against a wall, shop doorway, anywhere, they just won't stand up on their own for long. So today I went walking with my old poles, oh boy was I wrong! Forgive me Pacer poles, I had forgotten how comfortable the hand grips were, how they are angled just right, how strong the poles seem. I completely sold now on my Pacer poles, they are coming with me on the Camino in April. You need to use them to know the difference.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome back to the fold. We will never let you go;-)
As penance you should put an update on the old thread - a confession.

I guess I should.
I'll go look for it now. :::ashamed:::

Funny how the Camino changes your perspective.
I can think of many changes I've made since my first Camino, from my views on bag transport, to snorers, to poles.

Having poles is like having four-wheel drive on an off-road vehicle. You simply get more and better traction and stability, both pulling yourself up a hill or braking your descent from a hill. Also, on wet, muddy, or snowy ground, the poles provided a HUGE increase in traction.

I was sceptical at first when I was training with my Leki Ultra-Lightweight poles a year ago. However, the first day on my first Camino, walking from St. Jean to Orisson convinced me I was right to buy them. Being able to shift much of the load from your legs, knees, and ankles to your shoulders, and arms was hugely helpful. Leki is correct when they state on their web site that, used properly, you can shift 25 percent or more of your rucksack weight to your arms from your back and legs.

Moreover, a few days later, the right pole literally saved my life when it broke my fall off Alto de Perdon - to the right side - when a spandex-clad day-tripping, mountain biker forced me off the narrow and winding trail. The pole bowed like an archery bow, then returned to the original straight condition.

After that near-death experience, I purchased another pair of Leki poles with a slightly larger pole diameter and more stiffness. The decision of which pair to use will likely be made at the last moment before I depart in April this year.

I also found the poles to be an effective, expedient clothes drying rack, when suspended from the underside of an upper-bunk using long(ish) rubber bands - like you might use for file folders or several books. You shorten the poles as necessary, suspend them from the bed spring above, perpendicular to your mattress over your lower legs, then hang your laundry over the poles. It is enough to dry the day's hand washing...especially if the place you are staying for the night does not have outside lines, or the weather precludes hanging outdoors. I have also used them across the top of windows that open in to a hostal room. Either way, this works fine. ;)

IMHO, Poles are a "must have" tool and accessory. But to each his or her own.

Oh yes it does matter which make of poles you have. I used to use Leki poles, sometimes I used them sometimes I didn't, then I heard about Pacer poles on this forum. I sent off for my poles and learned to use them, yes a great difference but then the company bombard you with instructions on how to use them so maybe that's what makes them so much better, because I actually used them correctly. So I thought, lets try the old poles again, then if I loose them on the Camino or for some reason decide to dump them I won't need to worry because they were so much cheaper. Plus I was beginning to get fed up with the Pacer poles always always falling over whenever I lent them up against a wall, shop doorway, anywhere, they just won't stand up on their own for long. So today I went walking with my old poles, oh boy was I wrong! Forgive me Pacer poles, I had forgotten how comfortable the hand grips were, how they are angled just right, how strong the poles seem. I completely sold now on my Pacer poles, they are coming with me on the Camino in April. You need to use them to know the difference.

Roger, I totally understand your frustration with the Pacer Poles and your mixed feelings.
They're like having a love-hate relationship.

I hated that I was so worried about them getting stolen that I'd go to another albergue if asked to put them in a bin up front.
I hated (also) that the danged things wouldn't stand up!
I hated having to pack them up and ship them.
I hated having to carry them on the flat stretches.

But by gosh, yesterday I realized how much I not only LOVED them, but need them.
This was literally the first time I've had any issues with my knees and all the way up and down the mountain (or big hill) I was wishing I had my pacer poles.
My friend offered his Leki pole, and it did not give me the support or comfort that the pacer poles gave me.
I've learned my lesson, pacer poles.
I won't let you go again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not really but it does seem to matter which make of poles you have, next you could be saying which make of boots I wear. Thankfully most of us are individuals not always swayed by clever marketing.

Loving reading this - after two caminos using my traditional-design poles very happily I read about Pacerpoles and it grabbed my attention. Anything that generates that much lurv seemd worth checking out. Much reading of testimonials later I decided to buy some for our Le Puys to SJPP starting this April. They arrived 2 days ago. Can't wait to get onto the track and see if I'm right or if my ("my old poles will be just fine") husband is right :)
Maggie Ramsay
The Italian Camino (Amazon)

Loving reading this - after two caminos using my traditional-design poles very happily I read about Pacerpoles and it grabbed my attention. Anything that generates that much lurv seemd worth checking out. Much reading of testimonials later I decided to buy some for our Le Puys to SJPP starting this April. They arrived 2 days ago. Can't wait to get onto the track and see if I'm right or if my ("my old poles will be just fine") husband is right :)
Maggie Ramsay

Be sure to report in, Maggie. inquiring minds want to know. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, we used regular poles on day hikes in Alaska and that convinced us on how valuable they can be in preventing knee injuries (both over 50) but we had to deal with sore hands and wrists for a short time afterwards. Since reading about pacer poles on this forum and how they are designed, we decided to try them. My husband just received his and mine are on their way. Plan to learn how to use them correctly on training hikes before we leave to do our first Camino (March 27).

My question has to do with an issue I read about on another thread; what do you do with your pacer poles if you are staying in an albergue and you want to go out to explore the town? I am prepared to take our valuables in an evening bag, but will it be safe to leave the poles taken apart in our packs? Any suggestions on how to keep from losing them? Thanks for your thoughts.
Blessings!
A Diaz

I hated that I was so worried about them getting stolen that I'd go to another albergue if asked to put them in a bin up front.

I clearly remember arriving at the parochial albergue in Estella, and being instructed to leave my precious pacer poles in the bin, not only outside the building, but in full view of the street. I was aghast at such an order and soon crept back outside, dismantled by trusty friends and secreted them in the sleeve of my raincoat and smuggled them into the dorm. I felt like a naughty child, but was not prepared to leave my considered investment to chance.

I was very surprised when walking the entire length of the camino Frances last year, that I did not spot one other pair of pacer poles en route. After all the discussion I had read on this forum, which drew me to purchase said poles, I was expecting to see then all along the way.

The only issue I had with them was that the screw mechanism for adjustment was either too loose and they collapsed after a while, or if I got someone with stronger hands than I had to tighten them, then they were immovable. When I contacted the supplier I received an instant response that they should be stored in a dismantled fashion (something to do with an airlock I think). Since doing this I have no more problems.

To use them is to love them.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there
I have recently bought some pacer poles to try out as although I have Leki poles. The Lekis have been fantastic to relieve leg and hip joints, but have been very hard on the wrists and forearms. I noticed that when I'm using pacer poles my posture is way more upright than with the Lekis. So, how do you pacer pole veterans find the balance of your pack now you aren't leaning forward as a counterbalance? I'm trying to keep my load plus pack at around 6kg so it may not be an issue but I had visions of my pack pulling me back once I'm more upright.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maggie Ramsay

Hi

When are you leaving Le Puy? We will be doing the same - me also trying out the pacer poles for the first time :) Might see you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I was very surprised when walking the entire length of the camino Frances last year, that I did not spot one other pair of pacer poles en route. After all the discussion I had read on this forum, which drew me to purchase said poles, I was expecting to see then all along the way

Be aware that this forum represents a tiny fraction of the total camino walkers. In 5 caminos, I never met anyone who'd even heard of the forum, let alone posted a message on here. We are the vocal minority, I think.....:)

Last edited:
Hi there
I have recently bought some pacer poles to try out as although I have Leki poles. The Lekis have been fantastic to relieve leg and hip joints, but have been very hard on the wrists and forearms. I noticed that when I'm using pacer poles my posture is way more upright than with the Lekis. So, how do you pacer pole veterans find the balance of your pack now you aren't leaning forward as a counterbalance? I'm trying to keep my load plus pack at around 6kg so it may not be an issue but I had visions of my pack pulling me back once I'm more upright.
Certainly the posture is more upright. I never seem to get into that head down plod any more.
My head is up (I get to view the countryside more), the shoulders back and the chest open.
I think that also means the breathing is better.
IMO the pacers are a little on the way to being 'Nordic Walking Poles'. Whilst giving support to legs, knees, and hips (I've got two tin ones), there is also a slight feeling of being propelled along, and of the use of chest muscles to attain this.
I can't say that I notice any difference in pack balance, but then I've got an Osprey Talon 44, which I love, and carry 7 kilos tops.

Regds
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've used Pacer Poles on all four of my walks so far, and I love them. With regard to packing ... I make very sure to keep the load very snugged to my back. So I loosen the pack-straps when I unpack in the evening, and then snug them down again tightly in the morning once I've re-packed. I use an Osprey Exos 46 with an internal water bladder (usually carrying 1.5 liters in a 2-liter bladder). This is a larger pack, but it was lighter weight than my previous ones. There is more pack volume available than I truly need, so it takes some effort to use the full pack vertical but not the full pack depth. If you use the full pack depth, everything will be in the lower third of your pack!

I put the Crocs at the bottom of my bag, so the main heavier components (food, toiletries) are pushed near the top of the bag. This seems to work best for me. At all costs, avoid having your heavy components down low in a loose, floppy rig that lets the weight ride away from your spine. That's the situation that results in the "pulling you backward" sensation".

Annie, why did you have to carry them on the flat stretches?

I don't really like using poles when it's flat.
It feels awkward to me.
I generally would strap them to my pack.
By "carry" I just meant stopping to strap them to the pack.
I know, I'm whining! lol :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've used Pacer Poles on all four of my walks so far, and I love them. With regard to packing ... I make very sure to keep the load very snugged to my back. So I loosen the pack-straps when I unpack in the evening, and then snug them down again tightly in the morning once I've re-packed. I use an Osprey Exos 46 with an internal water bladder (usually carrying 1.5 liters in a 2-liter bladder). This is a larger pack, but it was lighter weight than my previous ones. There is more pack volume available than I truly need, so it takes some effort to use the full pack vertical but not the full pack depth. If you use the full pack depth, everything will be in the lower third of your pack!

I put the Crocs at the bottom of my bag, so the main heavier components (food, toiletries) are pushed near the top of the bag. This seems to work best for me. At all costs, avoid having your heavy components down low in a loose, floppy rig that lets the weight ride away from your spine. That's the situation that results in the "pulling you backward" sensation".

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here.
I'm most comfortable with my down bag stuffed into the very bottom of my pack,
my heaviest items next, and my lightest items on top.
I fell more balanced.

Putting the heavy items on top makes me off balance when ascending or descending.

I clearly remember arriving at the parochial albergue in Estella, and being instructed to leave my precious pacer poles in the bin, not only outside the building, but in full view of the street. I was aghast at such an order and soon crept back outside, dismantled by trusty friends and secreted them in the sleeve of my raincoat and smuggled them into the dorm. I felt like a naughty child, but was not prepared to leave my considered investment to chance.

I was very surprised when walking the entire length of the camino Frances last year, that I did not spot one other pair of pacer poles en route. After all the discussion I had read on this forum, which drew me to purchase said poles, I was expecting to see then all along the way.

The only issue I had with them was that the screw mechanism for adjustment was either too loose and they collapsed after a while, or if I got someone with stronger hands than I had to tighten them, then they were immovable. When I contacted the supplier I received an instant response that they should be stored in a dismantled fashion (something to do with an airlock I think). Since doing this I have no more problems.

To use them is to love them.

I asked once why I had to leave the poles in the bin.
According to the hospitalero at Santa Domingo del Calzada, it was because they could be used as a weapon if a fight broke out among pilgrims.
I scoffed at that UNTIL I was witness to a fight in an albergue last season.
Unbelievable!

The simple answer to the requirement to leave poles in a common bin is to break them down and put them out of sight in your pack before entering the albergues.
This can be a bit of a pain...But if not leaving them unattended is important, it is worth it.
As a hospitalario, we had no problem with this.

The really surprising thing is the common practice of leaving poles and packs outside of bars.
Thieves can simply pull up in a car and throw a few in and speed off.
Very few bars, in my experience, require this.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used a walking stick. It was very helpful but a pain when not walking, One thing I would do differently, in addition to my back pack, I would wear a small day pack on the front with a rain poncho, and any thing I needed to reach for thru out the day.
My walk started May 9th and it rained almost every day.

The really surprising thing is the common practice of leaving poles and packs outside of bars.Thieves can simply pull up in a car and throw a few in and speed off.
Very few bars, in my experience, require this.
I blame that Martin Sheen.
For setting such a bad example.
He leaves his pack outside the cafe and then has the temerity to complain when someone nicks it.
He's a drongo, that's what he is.
If ever I get to meet him I'll give him a piece of my mind.

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
It seems I'm in the minority here with my Leki micro sticks - they were bought because they fold up small and fit into the backpack more easily. Well, I suppose I can always get Pacers for the next Camino.... ;¬)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

When are you leaving Le Puy? We will be doing the same - me also trying out the pacer poles for the first time :) Might see you there.
Hi Miles
Yep, we will be leaving 23 April from Les Capucins. Look for four mad Aussies, two men, two women, one set of pacerpoles. What do you look like?
Maggie Ramsay

So, a few years back, I bought a set of pacer poles.
I liked them, in fact I loved them.
But after a while, I just decided I didn't need them.
So I sold them, here on the forum.

Today, I took a hike up the canyon to a hill about 2,200 ft and back down again.
My knees were screaming, both up… and down the hill.

My friend let me use his regular walking stick.
No way, Jose!
I slipped and slid and realized (though it was difficult) that I'm no longer a spring chicken. :eek::eek::(
I need some poles.

As soon as I got home, I got online and ordered another set of pacer poles.

Some people have to touch the stove more than once.
I guess I'm one of them.

If I offer this set for sale,
please don't buy them!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :cool:

2vspveq.jpg

Annie, did you order them from UK, or is there some NA online site? I have looked and haven't been able to find anywhere in Canada or US that distributes them... And if you did order them from UK, what was the price/shipping cost? Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, did you order them from UK, or is there some NA online site? I have looked and haven't been able to find anywhere in Canada or US that distributes them... And if you did order them from UK, what was the price/shipping cost? Thanks.

I ordered from their regular UK website and shipping was included.
http://www.pacerpole.com/buy-poles

I use Pacer Poles. I like them very well. My only problem is how quickly they rubber end thingies wear through, and my poles do not fold down far enough to fit all the way inside my 30 liter backpack -- the ends stick out. These seem to present a tempting challenge to luggage handlers at airports.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use Pacer Poles. I like them very well. My only problem is how quickly they rubber end thingies wear through, and my poles do not fold down far enough to fit all the way inside my 30 liter backpack -- the ends stick out. These seem to present a tempting challenge to luggage handlers at airports.

This time I ordered the 3-section carbons. I think they come apart and break down smaller.
I will ship them (gasp!) in a mailing tube.
I have no idea how I'll get them safely home since I won't want to carry the tube around.
Often I buy a bag in Santiago to bring extra items home.
That's probably what I'll do.
I may decorate them too - so they don't walk away and are easily identified.

Mine with a bit of wriggling fit inside my Osprey Talon 44. It goes as hold luggage.
The rubber end caps lasted from St Jean to Leon, so halfway-ish, 400ks.
Took the spare pare I ordered when I first got the pacers.

Regds
Gerard

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.