• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I CANNOT wait to leave!

Graceybeth

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP-SDC July 1, 2016
I know this may seem silly, but I have constant butterflies for my Camino trip. I leave June 5th so only a couple of weeks away and I simply cannot wait. I feel like a kid at Christmas! I'm backpacking through Europe for the month of June and then start my Camino July 1st. I timed it so I could spend a couple of days in Pamplona for the festival of San Fermin and watch one of the running of the bulls. I come on here and read the forums and every few days, I unpack my bag and repack it just to kind of "Play" with my stuff. Makes me feel like I'm participating. I am doing training hikes too. Seriously, can we make the clock go faster? These days are dragging on!!! Thanks for enduring my ramblings. I just felt I needed to share my excitement with like minded people. I tell my friends here and they are think I'm crazy because I'm going solo! And I think they are a little sick of hearing about it!

Oh and a funny thing happened to me yesterday. I was taking a training walk here in Dallas on the normal streets as there aren't many parks to walk and I was pushing my dog in his stroller because he is just a little guy and can't walk 10 miles. I had my full pack on and a lady pulls up beside me as I was waiting to cross the road and offers me $20. I asked why and she said that I actually looked like a homeless person who was trying to do something with their life instead of just standing around looking dirty with a sign begging. I was clean and wearing nice clothes with nice sunglasses so I wasn't sure why I looked homeless. I explained what I was doing and she said "Oh, I thought you had everything you owned on your back with your little doggy in his home!" I don't worry what people think of me but I guess I do stick out like a sore thumb here in the concrete jungle!IMG_2966.JPGIMG_2955.JPG

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What an excellent story! You are going thru what everyone goes thru prior to leaving. If you tire of your European walk early don't compare to the Camino. Just start your Camino early, as once you are done many places to go..

Great story and yes some people get very excited before departing. You are going to have a great time!

Buen Camino!

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know this may seem silly, but I have constant butterflies for my Camino trip. I leave June 5th so only a couple of weeks away and I simply cannot wait. I feel like a kid at Christmas! I'm backpacking through Europe for the month of June and then start my Camino July 1st. I timed it so I could spend a couple of days in Pamplona for the festival of San Fermin and watch one of the running of the bulls. I come on here and read the forums and every few days, I unpack my bag and repack it just to kind of "Play" with my stuff. Makes me feel like I'm participating. I am doing training hikes too. Seriously, can we make the clock go faster? These days are dragging on!!! Thanks for enduring my ramblings. I just felt I needed to share my excitement with like minded people. I tell my friends here and they are think I'm crazy because I'm going solo! And I think they are a little sick of hearing about it!

Oh and a funny thing happened to me yesterday. I was taking a training walk here in Dallas on the normal streets as there aren't many parks to walk and I was pushing my dog in his stroller because he is just a little guy and can't walk 10 miles. I had my full pack on and a lady pulls up beside me as I was waiting to cross the road and offers me $20. I asked why and she said that I actually looked like a homeless person who was trying to do something with their life instead of just standing around looking dirty with a sign begging. I was clean and wearing nice clothes with nice sunglasses so I wasn't sure why I looked homeless. I explained what I was doing and she said "Oh, I thought you had everything you owned on your back with your little doggy in his home!" I don't worry what people think of me but I guess I do stick out like a sore thumb here in the concrete jungle!View attachment 25855View attachment 25854
So funny, Gracey. Good luck.

Oh and a funny thing happened to me yesterday. I was taking a training walk here in Dallas on the normal streets as there aren't many parks to walk and I was pushing my dog in his stroller because he is just a little guy and can't walk 10 miles. I had my full pack on and a lady pulls up beside me as I was waiting to cross the road and offers me $20. I asked why and she said that I actually looked like a homeless person who was trying to do something with their life instead of just standing around looking dirty with a sign begging. I was clean and wearing nice clothes with nice sunglasses so I wasn't sure why I looked homeless. I explained what I was doing and she said "Oh, I thought you had everything you owned on your back with your little doggy in his home!" I don't worry what people think of me but I guess I do stick out like a sore thumb here in the concrete jungle!View attachment 25855View attachment 25854

@Graceybeth:
I don't walk in the summer (too hot for me) so I don't know from personal experience, but there have been a lot of posts on the forum about the difficulty and cost of finding accommodation during San Fermin in Pamplona. You might try to make a booking for the days you expect to be there. If you can't get a reservation, there are posts that you might search for information and suggestions. Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What a great story. That is too funny! I live in Dallas and walk the hills of north oak cliff for training every day. I did the Camino last year from Saint Jean to Burgos last fall and will pick up the Camino again in Burgos starting in September. I and many others on this forum can relate to your excitement. Not a day has gone by in the past year that I haven't obsessed with the Camino so you're in good company. Wishing you a Buen Camino!
daniel

I get the same thing walking in my town because we have a homeless mission and a women/ children mission close by where I live. The police officers slow down to make sure I'm ok,and when they understand what I'm getting ready to do they're interested in finding out about it.

I get the same thing walking in my town because we have a homeless mission and a women/ children mission close by where I live. The police officers slow down to make sure I'm ok,and when they understand what I'm getting ready to do they're interested in finding out about it.
And I'm terrified and excited. It's gonna be awesome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
... I am doing training hikes too ... View attachment 25855View attachment 25854

Well done. You will have no problems, I'm sure.

Training is very important. The Camino is a physical and mental challenge. One has to have the stamina, strength and determination to withstand daily walks of between 15 and 20 miles. I met an Australian woman near Belorado last week for whom it was proving too much. She had been attracted to the "idea" of the Camino but had not fully appreciated the difficulties involved nor the physical toll it was taking on her body. Her feet hurt, she had blister problems, she found her body didn't really loosen up until the afternoons but, because of the need to get to an albergue to make sure she'd have a bed for the night, she had to continue setting out early. She said she "had no idea what I was thinking" when she committed to doing it and regretted her decision.

She's in a small minority but it is important for prospective peregrinos to understand what is involved and to be physically and mentally prepared for it. It often is bloody hard work which will leave you exhausted at the end of the day. Physical issues - especially with your feet - that you may not be aware of if you haven't been doing long training walks will very quickly manifest themselves. Other posts here (e.g. "Where is the ecstasy?") have shown that some people have unreal expectations of the Camino and are consequently disappointed by the reality. I sincerely hope this does not happen to you.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Training is very important. The Camino is a physical and mental challenge. One has to have the stamina, strength and determination to withstand daily walks of between 15 and 20 miles. I met an Australian woman near Belorado last week for whom it was proving too much. She had been attracted to the "idea" of the Camino but had not fully appreciated the difficulties involved nor the physical toll it was taking on her body. Her feet hurt, she had blister problems, she found her body didn't really loosen up until the afternoons but, because of the need to get to an albergue to make sure she'd have a bed for the night, she had to continue setting out early. She said she "had no idea what I was thinking" when she committed to doing it and regretted her decision.

She's in a small minority but it is important for prospective peregrinos to understand what is involved and to be physically and mentally prepared for it. It often is bloody hard work which will leave you exhausted at the end of the day. Physical issues - especially with your feet - that you may not be aware of if you haven't been doing long training walks will very quickly manifest themselves. Other posts here (e.g. "Where is the ecstasy?") have shown that some people have unreal expectations of the Camino and are consequently disappointed by the reality. I sincerely hope this does not happen to you.

Any tips with how to prepare my feet for the walking...do poles work? I have never used them, I imagine they would be a hindence, I d rather have my hands on my rucksack straps...did u recommend boots or good trainer's??? And blisters...what precurions should I be taken....thanks ...Joef

Any tips with how to prepare my feet for the walking...do poles work? I have never used them, I imagine they would be a hindence, I d rather have my hands on my rucksack straps...did u recommend boots or good trainer's??? And blisters...what precurions should I be taken....thanks ...Joef

There are umpteen remedies for blisters, Joe, and the efficacy of any of them is open to question. I just completed another stage this year - Logrono to Burgos - and neither this year nor last did I have any problems. I wear 1000-Mile (brand name) socks and before I put them on I lightly coat my feet with Vaseline. I also have a left sock and a right sock and I wear the same socks for three days in a row. Whether this helped to prevent blisters or if I wouldn't have got any anyhow I don't know but I'm sticking to the formula!

Poles - I use them. They give me that extra bit of oomph in the hills. They *can* be a bit of a hindrance I suppose but you can always just strap them on to your pack when you don't need them.

Boots or trainers? Trainers for me. Most people in my experience wear them. Boots tend to be a rarity. It's really down to personal preference though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Graceybeth:
I don't walk in the summer (too hot for me) so I don't know from personal experience, but there have been a lot of posts on the forum about the difficulty and cost of finding accommodation during San Fermin in Pamplona. You might try to make a booking for the days you expect to be there. If you can't get a reservation, there are posts that you might search for information and suggestions. Good luck.
I booked my room for the first two nights of San Fermin back in October and so thankful I did. It only cost me $74. The same room is now over $400.

I will be walking for 6 days at the end of June and loved reading your post. I have been feeling the same and have gotten questions as I walk/train in my neighborhood in south Florida. I have tested 5 different types of socks, pants, packed and unpacked several times and I am sure I am driving my husband (who is not walking ) and friends crazy and I am only walking 6 days!! I have dreamed of this for 3 years and almost cried when I order my pilgrim passport/document the other day! I hope to arrive in Santiago by July 1 at the end of my short walk, I will be thinking of you as you start yours.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Training is very important. The Camino is a physical and mental challenge. One has to have the stamina, strength and determination to withstand daily walks of between 15 and 20 miles. ....

Just to clarify one point, John. You don't have to "withstand daily walks of between 15 and 20 miles" unless you choose to. I choose to withstand daily walks of between 10 and 13 miles, which works perfectly for my body.

I understand your excitement. We leave tomorrow from Toronto Canada for the Camino. Have packed and unpacked three times today. I have to do it again still 4 pounds over what I want in my back pack. I'm anxious , excited and nervous all at the same time. Wonder how much sleep I'm going to get tonight lol I'm thinking not a lot ... Our first Camino and we're taking the Norte route ... Who knows what's ahead. Enjoy your Camino I know I'm looking forward to mine ... It's reboot time

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back