• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I didn't know

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
A couple of weeks ago I went to the local walking store for a new pair of walking shoes because I had worn my favourite shoes out, heel and sole where completely gone.
My thought was to get the same shoe again as they were so comfortable, as always happens they had stopped making that particular model, so I reluctantly choose another make. All said and done they weren't too bad, right size and comfy to the foot, only miles and miles will tell if they match my others.
About to depart the shop the I was informed that I could get my beloved shoes re-soled (new bottoms), I was unaware that they could do this, but a place in the North of England has the skills.
I had a call today that they were ready for collection at the local store, so I hot footed to pick them up, well I was like a little boy in the sweet shop when he showed me the result, my comfy old uppers with new Vibram soles.
It was not cheap to have these done, well half the price of a new pair, so if you have those really comfy shoes/boots don't throw them away send them off for a new lease of life.
These will be my VDLP footwear for February.

I just love it when a plan comes together.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had heard it could be done in Germany but not here.... Thank you for that, my OH has been moping for his now very worn shoes. We'll give it a try.
Thanks! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What a great option for those who wear robust boots! Unfortunately for those of us who wear mesh trail runners, our tops would probably not hold up well enough to warrant the cost of new soles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What a great option for those who wear robust boots! Unfortunately for those of us who wear mesh trail runners, our tops would probably not hold up well enough to warrant the cost of new soles.

You are correct Chris, it really depends on the type of uppers you go for, I always tend to go with leather because I find that they wear well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On talking with the shop owner yesterday, he was saying that a lot of his customers are now finding a boot/shoe that they like and getting two pairs. The makers are changing designs of shoes so often people don't know were they stand.

They could stand in their boots ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been including this bit of information, that hiking boots & shoes can be resoled on many of my footwear posting for years. Glad that someone else, in the UK figured out a local source.

My recommendation is to simply go to your local Google.?? web site and Google search for "resoling hiking boots" in your local language. That is how I found several North American sites here in the US.

I managed to have my original, Keen Targhee mid-high boots resoled twice, that's three soles in all, before the uppers starting showing their wear and age. That saw me through four Caminos. I am now on my second pair of the identical boots and the original soles...so far...

Hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anything that can be broken or worn out can be fixed or repaired. The only issue is cost-effectiveness...and of course, finding someone who knows how to do it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Waka could you give us a clue as to the walking store that dealt with this for you, or alternatively the shop that carried out the repair. Many thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Waka could you give us a clue as to the walking store that dealt with this for you, or alternatively the shop that carried out the repair. Many thanks.

I certainly can, my local walking shop sent them to:

Lancashire Sports Repairs, I'll give you the number via PM.

Thank you @Waka. My boots are in the post. A rather expensive repair, but half the price of a replacement pair with no risk of them being uncomfortable.

One tip to make boots soles last longer - buy them a year before you want to start wearing them. The soles harden a little in that time and so wear out slower.
We too have bought an 'extra' pair of favourite boots and stored them. So far the soles have lasted as long as the insides.......and our UK made 'Spanish' boots (bought in 2013) get put away for next time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.