• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I do like Cahors (and Serge)

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
True, while the city and it's bridge do have their attractions, I do however like the place very much primarily because of Serge and his gîte d'étape "Le Relais des Jacobins" located just across the modern bridge from the cathedral. Cahors was once not so popular, was in fact, even reviled. Dante mentions Cahors very disparagingly as the city appears alongside and equally with Sodom(!) in the Inferno Canto XI:1-66.

Cahors is the cathedral town of the Department of the Lot, in the South of France, and the birthplace of the poet Clement Marot and of the romance-writer Calprenede. In the Middle Ages it seems to have been a "nest" of usurers. Matthew Paris, in his Historia Major, usually dated to 1235, has a chapter entitled, 'Of the Usury of the Caursines' ( a general name for usurers usually Italian foreigners, but bearing the name of people from Cahors) which in the translation of Rev. J. A. Giles runs as follows:--

"In these days prevailed the horrible nuisance of the Caursines to such a degree that there was hardly any one in all England, especially among the bishops, who was not caught in their net. Even the king himself was held indebted to them in an uncalculable (sic) sum of money. For they circumvented the needy in their necessities, cloaking their usury under the show of trade, and pretending not to know that whatever is added to the principal is usury, under whatever name it may be called. For it is manifest that their loans lie not in the path of charity, inasmuch as they do not hold out a helping hand to the poor to relieve them, but to deceive them; not to aid others in their starvation, but to gratify their own covetousness; seeing that the motive stamps our every deed."
Bankers have not changed much since then but Cahors has changed and can offer an enjoyable stop. When Serge asks if you wish to take dinner with him the correct answer is YES!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree the history of just the Cathedral/train station is worth the visit to Cahors. When we passed through there was a festival by the river, music, good food, an old Citroen car show. And leaving Cahors you walk for quite away along a level shady path beside the canal, with it's passing boats, who have to stop and work the locks.

Attachments

• DSCF1757.JPG
    DSCF1757.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
Oops! Sorry, I do know Cahors, with it's most photographed fortified bridge, but confused it with Moissac, with the canal in the photo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having posted elsewhere here today that I don't drink alcohol very much I must say Cahors wine can be quite supernacular.

Having posted elsewhere here today that I don't drink alcohol very much I must say Cahors wine can be quite supernacular.
Black wine. Good h-o-w-e-v-e-r the best Camino wine is found along the Via Lemovicensis, from Vezelay (but not the local stuff) until just after Bourges then again from Périgueux.

I love Cahors and will be there is 6 weeks time for 4 weeks. I plan on doing a "practice Camino" walking a stage each day and getting husband to collect me. (We have a house rented) . To anyone who had walked here is it nice from Cahors to Montcuq.....will I find my way easily? I have the miam Miami guide and nothing else. Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back