• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I don’t care if it rains or freezes...

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
My husband and I have been caring for sick family members since May. We have the opportunity to go to Spain from the middle of November to the middle of December for about a month, and are in need of a break. We are thinking of walking from A Guarda to Santiago in short stages, no more than about 20km max. We generally stay in local hotels and hostels together. We are used to walking in cold rain and snow here in WV, but am I crazy to walk the Camino Portugues along the coast at the end of November? I know there are other routes in warmer places, but at this point I need to walk to Santiago, the cathedral, and make my confession before receiving our compostelas. Also, Carlos Nunez has announced several concerts in Dec. and I could go for some good foot taping music. Advice from anyone who has walked in Nov. is appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Rebekah, thank you for your kind words. I expect if we do this we will upset other family member because we will not be home for the Thanksgiving holiday in the states, but at this point in time my husband and I need to just get away from all the drama and reconnect. Even if it means walking in the rain all day, we will be doing it together and land together in the evening. Thanks again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi James, you are correct. It is easy to lose perspective. You try to understand and empathize with the family members that are sick, but it is difficult at times especially when an individual behaves in a way that is detrimental to themself. You can only try to guide and care. Thank you for your insight. We are hoping to purchase inexpensive tickets in the next few days and throw caution to the wind, and walk....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi VN Walking, I am truly hoping to give thanks alomg the way. If we get to do this I realize I do have to discount all the negative from family, and at this point we have to only look at the positive, so when we return we are better emotionally able to help everyone.@

Another option to miss some of the cold winds coming off the Atlantic is to walk the central, less seamist.....
You deserve the break, go for it....there is also the 5 day Muxia, Finisterre or 5 day English Camino heading to Santiago.
Buen Camino
Miki

Go, refresh, reconnect, be in nature and let the camino do its work. I walked from end of September to mid-November and it was perfect. Not perfect weather but it certainly didn't kill me. Plenty of infrastructure to support you. I love it when people throw caution to the wind. Buen camino to you both!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your encouragement. I have to touch base with my sister before making a final decision, and she is in the process of helping her daughter return to North Carolina post hurricane. She will have the burden of dealing with family if I am gone. If it is a go then my next question will be Altus or Ikea poncho. Again, thank you all. I frequently read the form, but rarely post. Your kind words are truely appreciated.

Hi Rebekah, thank you for your kind words. I expect if we do this we will upset other family member because we will not be home for the Thanksgiving holiday in the states, but at this point in time my husband and I need to just get away from all the drama and reconnect. Even if it means walking in the rain all day, we will be doing it together and land together in the evening. Thanks again.

Caregiving is wonderful and selfless. Now, you two take care of each other.

I've heard Altus is nice.

Buen camino without guilt.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@witsendwv I would go with the Altus, having tried both an Altus and a poncho in cold weather. The Altus is better because it has sleeves, and can be opened down the front. It is also easier to pull on and off - when I am not wearing mine (and the weather is threatening) I hang it over my backpack at the ready. The poncho was difficult to put on and off and always at the mercy of the wind.

Edited to add: - but the Altus would be better if it were in a breathable fabric!

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have to touch base with my sister before making a final decision, and she is in the process of helping her daughter return to North Carolina post hurricane. She will have the burden of dealing with family if I am gone. If it is a go then my next question will be Altus or Ikea poncho. Again, thank you all. I frequently read the form, but rarely post. Your kind words are truely appreciated.

Loved my Altus poncho-you’ll stay dry in squalls.

Just to let you know that someone else of your vintage gets your post heading, I offer this, knowing that I am intentionally omitting words and phrases:

"...sitting on the dashboard of my car!"

And this from the version Paul Newman sang in "Cool Hand Luke""

"Comes in colors pink and pleasant,
Glows in the dark cause he's iridescent
Take him with you when you travel far."

Via con Dios. But keep your head up and your eyes open.
And pack good waterproof/windproof gloves.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I have been caring for sick family members since May. We have the opportunity to go to Spain from the middle of November to the middle of December for about a month, and are in need of a break. We are thinking of walking from A Guarda to Santiago in short stages, no more than about 20km max. We generally stay in local hotels and hostels together. We are used to walking in cold rain and snow here in WV, but am I crazy to walk the Camino Portugues along the coast at the end of November? I know there are other routes in warmer places, but at this point I need to walk to Santiago, the cathedral, and make my confession before receiving our compostelas. Also, Carlos Nunez has announced several concerts in Dec. and I could go for some good foot taping music. Advice from anyone who has walked in Nov. is appreciated.
I think you should go for it! My husband and I are taking the coastal camino in Portugal in early March and expect lots of wind and rain. We figure we can stop if it gets too bad and hole up in some friendly place. Just good raingear and one change of dry clothes and we will be happy!

Go!

It will do you and hubbt the world of good! Do it! You'll find yourselves refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to deal with whatever is waiting for you and your return. Self healing is priceless. My sister and I start from Valenca on 27/10! Beun Camino. Lindy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back