• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I don’t like mummy sleeping bags

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
There. I said it.
I toss and turn during the night and get tangled up with the bag wrapped around my feet. I’m not proud of it.
I’m thinking of getting a new, lightweight bag for my next adventure. My trusty old rectangular bag has seen better days.
Anyone have a good resource for a rectangular/squared off sleeping bag? Lightweight, packs small, good for a spring/fall Camino?
And am I the only one who can’t figure out how to sleep comfortably in a mummy? Do I need to develop a new skill set?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are not alone! Part of my aversion to packing a sleeping bag for my upcoming Camino next month (!) has to do with the fact that practically all of the truly "lightweight" or "packable" ones I come across are mummy style and I would much rather wear my fleece jacket to bed or even shiver all night than feel uncomfortably bound by one of them.

I will be packing a sleeping bag liner and fleece blanket (of which more elsewhere) as my sleeping solution but would be curious to know if there are indeed viable rectangular options available.

There. I said it.
I toss and turn during the night and get tangled up with the bag wrapped around my feet. I’m not proud of it.
I’m thinking of getting a new, lightweight bag for my next adventure. My trusty old rectangular bag has seen better days.
Anyone have a good resource for a rectangular/squared off sleeping bag? Lightweight, packs small, good for a spring/fall Camino?
And am I the only one who can’t figure out how to sleep comfortably in a mummy? Do I need to develop a new skill set?
I hate mummy sleeping bags. My first camino sleeping bag was a very lightweight Bergans with a ziplock that made me use it as a cover as well on top of my silkliner. Been with me on several caminos until I bought one antibedbugs sleeping bag which is not a mummytype, that I have carried with me but never needed.
To day I would bring a treated silkliner and a bag I have made of 2 bedbugssheets to put outside the linen.
And for cold evenings I rather put on a wool shirt or tights that I carry anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No and no. I use a rectangular or semi-rectangular bag. On the few occasions that I have had to use a mummy bag, I have been unable to easily move around during the night to get comfortable. There is a weight disadvantage, but I accept that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There. I said it.
I can't stand mummy bags either..I feel waay too constricted.
Here is my response to a similar thread recently;
I suggest you look at the Mont Bell range. I have the Ultralight Down Spiral Hugger which weighs under 500gms & compresses to be comfortably held in my open hand. It fully unzips to form a blanket which is how I use it...I don't like being confined in a mummy bag! The temperature grading is 10 degrees C making it ideal for summer.
Along with season, budget is another consideration...I paid $149 for mine making it the most expensive gear item I own but it has served me well.
Good luck in your search.
👣 🌏

I'm with you. I just bought a NatureHike one from AliExpress. Not sure about the quality as it hasn't arrived yet, but it's lightweight and it fully unzips, so you can use it as a blanket. I believe it's adequate for warmer months. Comfort temperature is supposed to be 15℃/ 59℉. Here's the link and a review. It was U$30, so I thought it was worth a try. I'm going camping this weekend and hopefully will get to test it in colder conditions than what I believe I'll find during the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am not a fan of mummy bags either. I tend to sleep with one leg/knee pulled up to my chest, then eventually switch sides and pull the other leg up, tossing back and forth. Mummy bags get all twisted up and make me feel too constrained.

There. I said it.

I don’t like mummy bags either.

Try Costco.

Sometimes they have lightweight rectangular bags on offer.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sea to Summit features the "Traveller" down sleeping bag, which is still reasonably light and more rectangular. Also can be opened like a blanket and is available in 2 length and 2 warmth ratings.
Personally i wouldnt use a quilt because i like something between me and the bed...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hate sleeping bags period.... I find them very restrictive as I like to spread out all over the bed as I never like to lie in the one place too long (not sure what happens when I am asleep). So I use a moderately sized micro fibre blanket, e.g. see:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08RW8SGGW/?tag=casaivar-21

Mine folds up tightly and is roughly the same volume as that of a sleeping bag and is no heavier. I have freedom of movement. If I am too warm I can throw it off me and if it is too cold I can wear something extra. Works very well for me.

If you want something on the same quality and performance level as a down sleeping bag, you might try a backpacking quilt. Enlightened Equipment, Cedar Ridge Outdoors, UGQ… They’ll definitely be more expensive than a microfiber blanket or something from Costco, though

Haha... I don't love them - but I have gotten used to them. The shape of the bag isn't as important as the weight and warmth temperature of bags. Obviously rectangular bags will be slightly heavier than mummy shaped. Another weight factor is - can you find a rectangular bag in down? Which is the most lightweight type of bag? That could be a problem if you are trying hard to keep pack weight down. That said - they do make some pretty lightweight down blankets if you can find one that is the right price, weight, shape for this type of hike. You could also go with a down backpacking quilt - though those tend to be pricier.

If you get a down blanket - you can place it inside of your sleeping bag liner to help keep it on you.

The other options are to go synthetic material - they just weight more and are much less compressible. Therefore they add some weight and take up more space inside your pack.

OR... you could suck it up and try your best to learn to sleep in a mummy bag. But if you don't want to do that - there are plenty of other options!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sea to Summit features the "Traveller" down sleeping bag, which is still reasonably light and more rectangular. Also can be opened like a blanket and is available in 2 length and 2 warmth ratings.
Personally i wouldnt use a quilt because i like something between me and the bed...

I love this Sea to Summit sleeping bag. I've carried it on every Camino (8, depending on how you count them). You can spread it out flat like a blanket or just zip up the bottom end a little bit to keep your feet warm and to keep it from sliding off during the night. Highly recommended.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not all mummy bags are equally constricting. For example RAB Solar bags are wider than Vango Ultralight. I'm hoping that my RAB will suit me well on my upcoming Camino.

Also, in my experience, temperature comfort ratings are very optimisitic.

There. I said it.
No worries, a mummy bag is not required. Any good outdoor store will have many choice...do not buy a too big bag, you will be sleeping inside. My bag is about 4 in in diameter x 7 inches when compressed.

There. I said it.
A mummy bag is not required. Any good outdoor store can show you many small, lightweight bags. Don't buy a too heavy bag, mine is 4in x 6in when compressed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Something like this:
Use it as a blanket or quilt.
My fafourite except in winter.

Something like this:
Use it as a blanket or quilt.
My fafourite except in winter.
That's the one I use...I love it for Caminos! Perfect for me.

There. I said it.
Me neither. Hate them. Took straight light weight sleeping bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not all mummy bags are equally constricting. For example RAB Solar bags are wider than Vango Ultralight. I'm hoping that my RAB will suit me well on my upcoming Camino.

Also, in my experience, temperature comfort ratings are very optimisitic.
Temperature ratings are often the ‘you won’t die but you’ll be very uncomfortable’ measureme too rather than ‘this will be comfortable sleeping at x degrees’. I think @davebugg has talked about this before.

As other have suggested here, I bought from Enlightened Equipment the following down blanket - it weights 0.322 grams:
Revelation Custom
(Down Type: 950, Temperature: 50°F (10°C), Length: Regular, Width: Wide, Add Draft Collar: No, Outside Fabric Options: Midnight Blue 7D, Inside Fabric Color: Graphite 7D)

Not cheap but like you, I don't like mummy sleeping bags.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can't stand mummy bags either..I feel waay too constricted.
Here is my response to a similar thread recently;
I suggest you look at the Mont Bell range. I have the Ultralight Down Spiral Hugger which weighs under 500gms & compresses to be comfortably held in my open hand. It fully unzips to form a blanket which is how I use it...I don't like being confined in a mummy bag! The temperature grading is 10 degrees C making it ideal for summer.
Along with season, budget is another consideration...I paid $149 for mine making it the most expensive gear item I own but it has served me well.
Good luck in your search.
👣 🌏
I think that might be the way I'll go as well, for my next Camino. I bought a 900 gram mummy type bag a few years ago. One of my worst purchases. I like the fact that you can use your bnag as a blanket, which is what I will probably do.

I think that might be the way I'll go as well, for my next Camino. I bought a 900 gram mummy type bag a few years ago. One of my worst purchases. I like the fact that you can use your bnag as a blanket, which is what I will probably do.
Tassie, I just had a look online - this bag is also a mummy type, right?

There. I said it.
You are not tho only one. I started using a quilt for backpacking a very long time ago, way before you could buy camping quilts so I made my own. There is no need for a zipped sleeping bag, just wrap a fleece blanket or quilt around you.

I prefer the option of a zippered sleeping bag for coziness to let no chilly air in as I toss and turn while sleeping. At other times I choose to unzip it part way if I feel too warm and throw my leg out to cool down. I feel I have more options with a sleeping bag.

Tassie, I just had a look online - this bag is also a mummy type, right?
20220405_112723_copy_816x612.jpg
Yes @Richo, it tapers but as you can see by the pic, not as restrictive as others. The big bonus is the zippering...if I want to use it as a sleeping bag rather than a blanket, I can just zip the side & leave the foot 'open' for more freedom of movement.
As a spring/summer walker, I leave the whole thing unzipped & just lay on one half & pull the other over me.
My caution would be the sizing...from memory they do come in different sizes so a tall or large-ish framed person should go for the biggest size or it would get squeezy as a sleeping bag.
There's also no hood...perfect for me as a 'don't restrict me' person!
Happy hunting...it's a big decision & the choices out there can be daunting. 😯
👣 🌏

Check the company Enlightened Equipment out of Minnesota in the US. They make lightweight down quilts, which have a greater temperature range than mummy bags, are less restrictive, and much more versatile. Mine weighs less than a pound and takes little room in my bag. Highly recommended.

I use a combo of a down quilt (thin, not all that warm) and a honcho poncho which I can open out or not. It's also good to wear in the evenings and early morning trips to the toilet. Multi use is good. The two together pack up no heavier or bigger than most mummy bags.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was interesting. Pretty much what I have, knee length, warm, light and resists some rain. A new word learned....

You are not alone! Part of my aversion to packing a sleeping bag for my upcoming Camino next month (!) has to do with the fact that practically all of the truly "lightweight" or "packable" ones I come across are mummy style and I would much rather wear my fleece jacket to bed or even shiver all night than feel uncomfortably bound by one of them.

I will be packing a sleeping bag liner and fleece blanket (of which more elsewhere) as my sleeping solution but would be curious to know if there are indeed viable rectangular options available.

Attachments

• 101A63BF-D911-4D4B-89B9-AC4BB5473BF4.png
    101A63BF-D911-4D4B-89B9-AC4BB5473BF4.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm with you. I just bought a NatureHike one from AliExpress. Not sure about the quality as it hasn't arrived yet, but it's lightweight and it fully unzips, so you can use it as a blanket. I believe it's adequate for warmer months. Comfort temperature is supposed to be 15℃/ 59℉. Here's the link and a review. It was U$30, so I thought it was worth a try. I'm going camping this weekend and hopefully will get to test it in colder conditions than what I believe I'll find during the Camino.
I have been looking at those in Australia - A$59. They look very thin. I will be interested in what you think.

I have been looking at those in Australia - A$59. They look very thin. I will be interested in what you think.
I have tried it at home and I like it Very much I use it on a daily basis as a blanket in the sofa. But… I’m short 158 cm. Eventually I bought a mummybag to be able to cuddle in a little bit more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There. I said it.
You can get inexpensive lightweight square sleeping bags at Walmart. I was surprised by how light and warm it was. Probably Ozark brand but not sure.

It just arrived yesterday. I'll probably bring it while camping this weekend, but they are indeed very thin. It packs small and light. I tried at home and felt hot after a minute but the temperature outside was 23 °C, even though it was a clouded afternoon. I have to say though, my dog loved it. I'm thinking about buying one just for her 🤣

I bought the same, based on the recommendation of a friend. How do you find it?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i recommend the snugpak jungle bag. it's rectangular, it zips all the way around or just the feet, it's warm, it's lightweight, and it even has bug netting which is optional that you can zip onto its hood if you end up sleeping outside.
I froze my butt off with a sleeping bag liner during April and May last year- even wearing sll my clothes and jackets. many pilgrims like to sleep with the windows open no matter what! The snug pack is only about 60 bucks on Amazon. it's a great deal!

i recommend the snugpak jungle bag. it's rectangular, it zips all the way around or just the feet, it's warm, it's lightweight, and it even has bug netting which is optional that you can zip onto its hood if you end up sleeping outside.
I froze my butt off with a sleeping bag liner during April and May last year- even wearing sll my clothes and jackets. many pilgrims like to sleep with the windows open no matter what! The snug pack is only about 60 bucks on Amazon. it's a great deal!
This bug netting is ideal if you want to encase yourself and create a complete shield against bedbugs.

I do not understand what you call a mummy sleeping bag ?
I am using this one:
It is quite light (410g) and sufficient to sleep outside in summer, and inside in winter with a silk liner....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do not understand what you call a mummy sleeping bag ?
I am using this one:
It is quite light (410g) and sufficient to sleep outside in summer, and inside in winter with a silk liner....
Yes. That shape bag is, where I am from, a mummy sleeping bag. I guess the shape looks like an Egyptian mummy coffin?

The more usual sleeping bag shape is rectangular.

I have since found a "spoon shaped" sleeping bag designed for side sleepers like me and is, hands down, the most accommodating shape I've ever used. To say it is my new "go-to" is an understatement.

Unfortunately, it may be too bulky for a Camino but the shape is perfect for me.

I will find the sleeping bags of my dreams!!

I will find the sleeping bags of my dreams!!

Look into backpacking quilts, often rectangular in shape. The bottom is thin because the separate pad supplies the insulation (and padding too of course). Mattresses supply this on camino. The webpage below has introductory information.

When backpacking I would typically open my mummy bag most of the way and sleep directly on the pad unless it got too cold.

I bought the same, based on the recommendation of a friend. How do you find it?
It actually surprised me. Sleeping bag noise generally bothers me a bit, but maybe because this one is thinner than I'm used to, it wasn't that bad. I tried it in 17℃ weather and it was warm, too warm even. I had to keep pushing it off my leg to get some cold air. Overall, I think it will be fine for spring, but way too warm for summer.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.