• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I Don't Really Like Leon but Mazarife?

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Leon is far too large and bustling for my taste, especially after several weeks of hamlets, villages, and towns. I like the cathedral, I love San Isodoro, the old guys playing pentanque (a form of boules for the uninitiated-no I don't want to begin an argument here-boules may indeed be a form of pentanque!), and the mozarabic ceiling in the parador which should not be missed! Saying that, this parador is a favorite stopover for important guests, politicians and diplomats. State security seems to have great difficulties in discerning between anarchists, Basque separatists, Catalunyian nationalists, and pilgrims– you may be give the evil eye when approaching.
Leon is the only place I have witnessed theft from a pilgrim and that within the walls of Santa Maria de Carbajalas albergue-a warm welcome always but the inside is horrific-far too many pilgrims stacked like cordwood! Leon has been a place of separation for me, often friends turning back, others warping forward by way of bus, others simply disappearing into the crowds. Disappearing but after our good bye celebration. Part of my dislike for Leon may be tempered by the state of my head that following morning. The walkout from Leon is not a Camino scenic route, perhaps there is a pilgrim who enjoys passing by countless hairdressers, petrol stations, new and used furniture emporiums, hardware and ironmongers, garages and used car dealers-I haven't met them. Twice I have jump started this stage with a city bus to Virgen del Camino somehow arriving in Mazarife by early afternoon despite throbbing head and a slowdown strike by my feet! I was twice warmly welcomed at Tio Pepe and survived. The Tio Pepe albergue is good enough but nothing to write home about, the food there, the same.
I would welcome to hear any experience concerning the other two albergues in Mazarife, my October "assault" on the Camino is in planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I loved San Antonio de Padua...a highlight of 2 caminos (the first time I walked on to Hospital de Orbigo after lunch there...the second time I was more sensible and stayed). The welcome is warm and the food there is vegetarian, generous, and a delicious change from the usual.

I loved San Antonio de Padua...a highlight of 2 caminos (the first time I walked on to Hospital de Orbigo after lunch there...the second time I was more sensible and stayed). The welcome is warm and the food there is vegetarian, generous, and a delicious change from the usual.
Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've stayed in Leon three times over the years and love it. It's nice to "mix-n-match" things up though. I am just back from walking a stretch and while I stayed in Leon, I walked through Mazarife to Villavante. I stayed in Mazarife for a few hours and I'm sure I'll stay there next time I wander on the Camino Frances.

I actually liked the walk out of Leon !
Met some interesting pilgrims and even though it was city outskirts there were some interesting sights. Then the second part to Mazarife was rural and quiet.
I had an unwritten rule of no taxis, buses or trains as I knew once I did it once.....
Agree Tio Pepe was lovely. I heard that the other two albergues were ok too.

On my first Camino I missed a turn or something out of Leon and ended up in San Martin del Camino. That was a nice little town. It's kind of parallel and a bit past Vilar de Mazarife.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leon is far too large and bustling for my taste, especially after several weeks of hamlets, villages, and towns. I like the cathedral, I love San Isodoro, the old guys playing pentanque (a form of boules for the uninitiated-no I don't want to begin an argument here-boules may indeed be a form of pentanque!), and the mozarabic ceiling in the parador which should not be missed! Saying that, this parador is a favorite stopover for important guests, politicians and diplomats. State security seems to have great difficulties in discerning between anarchists, Basque separatists, Catalunyian nationalists, and pilgrims– you may be give the evil eye when approaching.
Leon is the only place I have witnessed theft from a pilgrim and that within the walls of Santa Maria de Carbajalas albergue-a warm welcome always but the inside is horrific-far too many pilgrims stacked like cordwood! Leon has been a place of separation for me, often friends turning back, others warping forward by way of bus, others simply disappearing into the crowds. Disappearing but after our good bye celebration. Part of my dislike for Leon may be tempered by the state of my head that following morning. The walkout from Leon is not a Camino scenic route, perhaps there is a pilgrim who enjoys passing by countless hairdressers, petrol stations, new and used furniture emporiums, hardware and ironmongers, garages and used car dealers-I haven't met them. Twice I have jump started this stage with a city bus to Virgen del Camino somehow arriving in Mazarife by early afternoon despite throbbing head and a slowdown strike by my feet! I was twice warmly welcomed at Tio Pepe and survived. The Tio Pepe albergue is good enough but nothing to write home about, the food there, the same.
I would welcome to hear any experience concerning the other two albergues in Mazarife, my October "assault" on the Camino is in planning!
After having a nice lunch in Leon, we continued our walk to Virgen de Camino and the municipal alberque was one of the nicest ones we stayed at.

I second that. Wish I had not listened to Brierley and went Villadangas this time. I was just too curious as to why he had changed his recommended route and wondered did this route have something to offer. The answer was absolutely nothing. Mazarife and San Anton albergue the only way to go

On a bitterly cold and windy day in May 2013, I stayed at Albergue San Antonio de Padua in Mazarife, on the right as you come into town, arriving around 2:30. There was one VERY large room with about 25 bunks, so sleeping for 50, and a couple of other private rooms directly off this main one with sleeping for a half dozen or so. I believe those smaller rooms had been pre-booked by either families or groups, but I didn’t get a look inside. Some of the bunks in the large room were right up against each other lengthwise, not so much as an inch in between. That’s too cosy for my liking, so I was very glad I was able to nab a lone top bunk by the wall. Not all the bunks had ladders either. I secured my moveable ladder with my bandana.

I remember one of the washrooms opened directly on to this large room, and the door made quite a clang every time someone entered or exited.

But the evening meal in the downstairs dining room was really good and served by some lovely wait staff and cooks. There was a wonderful ensalada mixta to start, then a yummy paella, finished off with a superior postre of folded pancake topped with fresh fruit and a drizzle of chocolate.

On the lawn outside the Albergue were a row of deck chairs under cover. They just about took off down the street in the wind that day, but in nicer weather would have been a great place to soak up some zzzz’s.

This was the one day I did not do any washing, I was just too frozen from the walk coming in, so I can’t comment on what the laundry area was like.

That evening to warm myself up I sat in the bar at Tio Pepes and downed several ounces of Patxaran.

So, not the best Albergue I stayed in by any means, but not the worst either. If I stayed there again I would want to get there earlyish to avoid one of the “cosy” beds or one near that washroom door, and ear plugs are a must.

Attachments

• 088.JPG
    088.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Interesting posts, Leon was different enough that I rather enjoyed it. But the walk in & out is an adventure. My next I will walk north to Ovideo then over.

On a bitterly cold and windy day in May 2013, I stayed at Albergue San Antonio de Padua in Mazarife, on the right as you come into town, arriving around 2:30. There was one VERY large room with about 25 bunks, so sleeping for 50, and a couple of other private rooms directly off this main one with sleeping for a half dozen or so. I believe those smaller rooms had been pre-booked by either families or groups, but I didn’t get a look inside. Some of the bunks in the large room were right up against each other lengthwise, not so much as an inch in between. That’s too cosy for my liking, so I was very glad I was able to nab a lone top bunk by the wall. Not all the bunks had ladders either. I secured my moveable ladder with my bandana.

I remember one of the washrooms opened directly on to this large room, and the door made quite a clang every time someone entered or exited.

But the evening meal in the downstairs dining room was really good and served by some lovely wait staff and cooks. There was a wonderful ensalada mixta to start, then a yummy paella, finished off with a superior postre of folded pancake topped with fresh fruit and a drizzle of chocolate.

On the lawn outside the Albergue were a row of deck chairs under cover. They just about took off down the street in the wind that day, but in nicer weather would have been a great place to soak up some zzzz’s.

This was the one day I did not do any washing, I was just too frozen from the walk coming in, so I can’t comment on what the laundry area was like.

That evening to warm myself up I sat in the bar at Tio Pepes and downed several ounces of Patxaran.

So, not the best Albergue I stayed in by any means, but not the worst either. If I stayed there again I would want to get there earlyish to avoid one of the “cosy” beds or one near that washroom door, and ear plugs are a must.
Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure it was while leaving León that we happened upon a tiny white church on the right. The church was open because there was a Mass just about to start or the Mass was just over, I don't recall, but it was lovely to go in for a few moments and offer up a prayer of gratitude for being on the Camino.

I actually liked the walk out of Leon !
Met some interesting pilgrims and even though it was city outskirts there were some interesting sights. Then the second part to Mazarife was rural and quiet.
I had an unwritten rule of no taxis, buses or trains as I knew once I did it once.....
Agree Tio Pepe was lovely. I heard that the other two albergues were ok too.
We had the only fight of our camino leaving Leon, and it was the biggest of our entire marriage. My wife (seriously) referenced divorce. And this from a couple who usually doesn't fight at all.

But Tio Pepe's for dinner was so amazing that our Camino was back on track by the next day. That is quite the recommendation IMO!

We didn't stay at Tio Pepes though, we stayed at the albuergue to the right as you come into town. We had a private room but were kept awake all night by a man snoring in the next room. And my bed collapsed under me at 3 am in the morning when I dared roll over in my sleep. I mean like completely collapsed....

PS: I love Leon. But taste is arbitrary. But I am more troubled by the idea it is too "big" or "modern" for the Camino. The Camino travels through (and always has) a diverse mix of urban and rural, modernized (for the time) and unmodernized. The tourist shops lining the streets of Leon are no less authentically Camino worthy than are the Basque mountainsides.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back