A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

I don't wear socks 😂

Camino Badges

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
What do you normally wear for fairly long walks? If you already walk the equivalent of your daily Camino stages in shoes or boots or sandals or even barefoot without socks and without problems why should the Camino be all that different? And if you have never walked that far before then it would be a good idea to try a few long days nearer home before September :)

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (1994)
Camino Francés (2013 - 2018)
Camino Portugués (2015 - 2018)
I'm walking my first Camino in September with Andy Wild and I hate wearing socks and I'm worried my feet will blister and Andy WILL be giving me a piggy back most days
Any advice please 😁
don't shift your weight when piggy-backing
Buen Camino

The Kolbist

Camino(s) past & future
past: Frances, inland Portuguese, Fatima
future: Del Norte, coastal Porugues, Englis
I heard from someone that an archbishop from the Philippines walked barefoot from SJDPP to Santiago..

Dorpie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015, July 2017, October 2019
Welcome to the forum @Suziem any friend of Andy's is a friend of his ;)

Got to say it sounds like a terrible plan, but I've been wrong before and no doubt will be again. What footwear are you planning on using?

For me single sock worked better than double, sandal better than boot, but that's just me.

Buen camino,

Rob.

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
A very old soldiering technique is to use foot wraps, :

(the pumpkin serving is a bonus that you can disregard)

Depending on how dry you can keep your feet while walking, I would think one needs some medium in your boots to transmit humidity and to keep feet clean ...

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I heard from someone that an archbishop from the Philippines walked barefoot from SJDPP to Santiago..
I am not aware of that particular story but it does not surprise me. I first learned about the Caminos from my wife's mother. Barbara walked as part of an international group led by a man who had a religious experience at Lourdes which eventually led him to walk barefoot from Paris to Santiago in the early 1980s.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I once walked some days with a young Hungarian who walked barefoot from home to SdC. Leather feet, going 50-60 kms/day. I just let him pass me after a while...

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
@Bradypus said what I was thinking- but I have a couple of questions as well.
What is it about socks that is problematic - would a different brand be a solution? If it turns out walking long distances sockless is uncomfortable for you, which is the greater discomfort - to wear socks or not?

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Are your shoes large enough to allow socks and swollen feet? Walking and gravity provide swollen feet leading to friction. The trick is to make sure that you buy them larger than normal . Especially in width.(Take the socks with you when you go to buy your shoes). The sales person is likely to try and talk you out of it. It is unlikely that they have walked a Camino , so you may have to insist . I once met a salesperson who "wouldn't sell" me the shoes in the size I wanted. I bought them somewhere else and had a blister free Camino. I think sandals are the best option though for warm months, cooler feet, and no socks to wash.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Again, soon as possible!
I met a few people over the years that never wore socks on camino. Those barefoot regretted it mostly. Those in open sandles never had a problem and swore by it. Bye the way, none of them ever got blisters. (Barefoot ones mostly thorns and occasionally nastier stuff like glass. Not mentioning cow dung in Galicia).

Whatever is best for you! I'm sure Andy won't mind carrying you though!

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Get walking sticks in a very long length so you can help with stability when you are riding piggyback. Also, don't let Andy bring a back pack as it will be in your way.
And the two of you need to decide beforehand whether you’ll be walking miles or kilometres; if you have to discuss this en route it will delay your progress. Oh, and whether you’ll be working in Celsius or Fahrenheit, lest one of you might be too hot and the other too cold.

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
And the two of you need to decide beforehand whether you’ll be walking miles or kilometres; if you have to discuss this en route it will delay your progress. Oh, and whether you’ll be working in Celsius or Fahrenheit, lest one of you might be too hot and the other too cold.
Definitely miles, there's less of them.. and the same goes for weight.. strictly kgs... 😁

BlaBlah

Camino(s) past & future
the more km you have prepared the safer your approach (solve these issues before the long haul!) However do learn how to use elastic adhesive bandage (athletic/Tensoplast) to protect skin chafing BEFORE it blisters. It sticks for several days-even surviving shower-and taping in time is better than blistering.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
Are you suggesting my friends are just a figment of my imagination? If so why would I invent one that has sock issues?
I assure you all my imaginary friends are of sound mind and they all think I'm great.. apart from Steve.. he's just a miserable bugger.
Funny, I thought I was addressing someone else, and you replied. We need Sherlock on this one...

Gretel Schuck

Camino(s) past & future
Francigena
Try some different socks, fabric- before you go. Bare feet get sweaty and can create a problem- also make sure your hiking shoes
Fit properly.

Robert Nystrom

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2016, SJPP-Santiago),Portuguese Central (2017, Lisboa-Santiago),Camino Primitivo (2018)
Why not walk barefoot as well? That way you can make doubly certain that Andy will have to give you a piggy back.
I met August in 2016 on the CF who had been walking from Austria - barefoot ! He was doing just fine 😊

Vitor Ferreira

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese central route -2017,2018
Caminho Francês - 2018-2021
I personally feel more confortable with sandals. I only put a pair of socks to prevent blisters and provide an extra layer of protection and cushioning. But i guess i could do it without sockss, so could you perhaps

Last edited:

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
I'm walking my first Camino in September with Andy Wild and I hate wearing socks and I'm worried my feet will blister and Andy WILL be giving me a piggy back most days
Any advice please 😁
What do you usually wear to walk longer distances? Test out the shoes you intend to wear and see what happens. Personally I'm with you, I walk mostly in Teva sandals and very rarely wear socks, and I don't get blisters.

Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
What do you normally wear for fairly long walks? If you already walk the equivalent of your daily Camino stages in shoes or boots or sandals or even barefoot without socks and without problems why should the Camino be all that different? And if you have never walked that far before then it would be a good idea to try a few long days nearer home before September :)
Excellent, all around advice!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
It looks like I'm going to earn this Compostela. 😳
Andy, have you now become a "chick magnet" after two caminos?😂
And if you are giving free piggyback rides the whole way to Santiago, may I sign up for the next time you go again? Does it matter that I am an "older gal"! 😉

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
april '2018'
Andy, have you now become a "chick magnet" after two caminos?😂
And if you are giving free piggyback rides the whole way to Santiago, may I sign up for the next time you go again? Does it matter that I am an "older gal"! 😉
I've been called many things... Chick magnet is definitely not one of them... As for signing up, sure, why not.. I'm planning VDLP with Randy next spring, I'm sure he'd be ok taking turns carrying you 🙂🙂

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I've been called many things... Chick magnet is definitely not one of them... As for signing up, sure, why not.. I'm planning VDLP with Randy next spring, I'm sure he'd be ok taking turns carrying you 🙂🙂
Touche' Andy...love this! I always try to walk in Spring!😉

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016, Mansill de las Mulas to Finisterre and Muxia 2017, Camino Aragones 2018
For real, there are two women who walked the whole of the Appalachian Trail both directions Barefooted with heavy packs! Why not? These were the first and now there are others...

Southbound and Walking Home by Lucy and Susan Letcher

So, no socks, no shoes, go for it! No hay problema!

Last edited:

gkr

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugese(2017)
Lucky you! You don't have to wash them! or smell them!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%