• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I don't wear socks 😂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What do you normally wear for fairly long walks? If you already walk the equivalent of your daily Camino stages in shoes or boots or sandals or even barefoot without socks and without problems why should the Camino be all that different? And if you have never walked that far before then it would be a good idea to try a few long days nearer home before September :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum @Suziem any friend of Andy's is a friend of his ;)

Got to say it sounds like a terrible plan, but I've been wrong before and no doubt will be again. What footwear are you planning on using?

For me single sock worked better than double, sandal better than boot, but that's just me.

Buen camino,

Rob.

A very old soldiering technique is to use foot wraps, :

(the pumpkin serving is a bonus that you can disregard)

Depending on how dry you can keep your feet while walking, I would think one needs some medium in your boots to transmit humidity and to keep feet clean ...

I heard from someone that an archbishop from the Philippines walked barefoot from SJDPP to Santiago..
I am not aware of that particular story but it does not surprise me. I first learned about the Caminos from my wife's mother. Barbara walked as part of an international group led by a man who had a religious experience at Lourdes which eventually led him to walk barefoot from Paris to Santiago in the early 1980s.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Bradypus said what I was thinking- but I have a couple of questions as well.
What is it about socks that is problematic - would a different brand be a solution? If it turns out walking long distances sockless is uncomfortable for you, which is the greater discomfort - to wear socks or not?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are your shoes large enough to allow socks and swollen feet? Walking and gravity provide swollen feet leading to friction. The trick is to make sure that you buy them larger than normal . Especially in width.(Take the socks with you when you go to buy your shoes). The sales person is likely to try and talk you out of it. It is unlikely that they have walked a Camino , so you may have to insist . I once met a salesperson who "wouldn't sell" me the shoes in the size I wanted. I bought them somewhere else and had a blister free Camino. I think sandals are the best option though for warm months, cooler feet, and no socks to wash.

I met a few people over the years that never wore socks on camino. Those barefoot regretted it mostly. Those in open sandles never had a problem and swore by it. Bye the way, none of them ever got blisters. (Barefoot ones mostly thorns and occasionally nastier stuff like glass. Not mentioning cow dung in Galicia).

Whatever is best for you! I'm sure Andy won't mind carrying you though!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get walking sticks in a very long length so you can help with stability when you are riding piggyback. Also, don't let Andy bring a back pack as it will be in your way.
And the two of you need to decide beforehand whether you’ll be walking miles or kilometres; if you have to discuss this en route it will delay your progress. Oh, and whether you’ll be working in Celsius or Fahrenheit, lest one of you might be too hot and the other too cold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The question is though: how do we know if you are real?
Are you suggesting my friends are just a figment of my imagination? If so why would I invent one that has sock issues?
I assure you all my imaginary friends are of sound mind and they all think I'm great.. apart from Steve.. he's just a miserable bugger.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And the two of you need to decide beforehand whether you’ll be walking miles or kilometres; if you have to discuss this en route it will delay your progress. Oh, and whether you’ll be working in Celsius or Fahrenheit, lest one of you might be too hot and the other too cold.
Definitely miles, there's less of them.. and the same goes for weight.. strictly kgs... 😁

the more km you have prepared the safer your approach (solve these issues before the long haul!) However do learn how to use elastic adhesive bandage (athletic/Tensoplast) to protect skin chafing BEFORE it blisters. It sticks for several days-even surviving shower-and taping in time is better than blistering.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you suggesting my friends are just a figment of my imagination? If so why would I invent one that has sock issues?
I assure you all my imaginary friends are of sound mind and they all think I'm great.. apart from Steve.. he's just a miserable bugger.
Funny, I thought I was addressing someone else, and you replied. We need Sherlock on this one...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try some different socks, fabric- before you go. Bare feet get sweaty and can create a problem- also make sure your hiking shoes
Fit properly.

Why not walk barefoot as well? That way you can make doubly certain that Andy will have to give you a piggy back.
I met August in 2016 on the CF who had been walking from Austria - barefoot ! He was doing just fine 😊

I personally feel more confortable with sandals. I only put a pair of socks to prevent blisters and provide an extra layer of protection and cushioning. But i guess i could do it without sockss, so could you perhaps

Last edited:
I'm walking my first Camino in September with Andy Wild and I hate wearing socks and I'm worried my feet will blister and Andy WILL be giving me a piggy back most days
Any advice please 😁

What do you usually wear to walk longer distances? Test out the shoes you intend to wear and see what happens. Personally I'm with you, I walk mostly in Teva sandals and very rarely wear socks, and I don't get blisters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What do you normally wear for fairly long walks? If you already walk the equivalent of your daily Camino stages in shoes or boots or sandals or even barefoot without socks and without problems why should the Camino be all that different? And if you have never walked that far before then it would be a good idea to try a few long days nearer home before September :)
Excellent, all around advice!

It looks like I'm going to earn this Compostela. 😳
Andy, have you now become a "chick magnet" after two caminos?😂
And if you are giving free piggyback rides the whole way to Santiago, may I sign up for the next time you go again? Does it matter that I am an "older gal"! 😉

Andy, have you now become a "chick magnet" after two caminos?😂
And if you are giving free piggyback rides the whole way to Santiago, may I sign up for the next time you go again? Does it matter that I am an "older gal"! 😉
I've been called many things... Chick magnet is definitely not one of them... As for signing up, sure, why not.. I'm planning VDLP with Randy next spring, I'm sure he'd be ok taking turns carrying you 🙂🙂

For real, there are two women who walked the whole of the Appalachian Trail both directions Barefooted with heavy packs! Why not? These were the first and now there are others...

Southbound and Walking Home by Lucy and Susan Letcher

So, no socks, no shoes, go for it! No hay problema!

Last edited:
Lucky you! You don't have to wash them! or smell them!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.