• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino I found a Xunta albergue with a equipted functioning kitchen

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
The Ferreiros xunta albergue seem to have ignored the Xunta directive to empty and disable the pilgrims kitchen,

Are there others that are still equiped and functioning?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We-hey! result!
But seriously,
I like the kitchen at Arca, 19k before Santiago. Lots of utensils and space to cook and eat. Also the supermercado is just next door so easy to nip back there if you forgot the garlic. A great place to have a thoughtful 'last supper' with your amigos before everyone disperses in the frenzy of Santiago.

NB There's an amazing state-of-the-art albergue on the VdlP at Laza with a good kitchen and utensils (or there was in 2010). However, although they'd provided a multi-million pound designer albergue made largely of glass, there was a notice by the kitchen tap saying 'not tested for drinking', which just kind of summed up the Xunta experience for me.
Anyone know if it's still there?

Mmmmm Arca? Thats only 21km from my current location, i will check it out tomorrow. :)

However if this is a Xunta albergue you may find that the kitchen has now been stripped, most were in 2011

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5zil10

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
ffp13
All was fine last October as well as in 2008, so there has to be a really good chance it's all still there. Good luck.
Last year's diary says I persuaded three people to dine with me - a couple from Seattle and a woman from Slovakia. We boiled chestnuts, made salad and pilgrim pasta, had flan for dessert and managed two quite nice bottles of wine between us.
I hope you have a similarly agreeable time! cheers, tom

I am in town, I chose not to wait in the long line and went to a private albergue, I spoke to some polgrims staying there, they said this kitchen is still in use:) I chose to have the menu del dia, I was surprised, they managed to convert a meat lazagna to a cheese soup, lucky i had bread

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?4d1cnh

ffp13 said:
The Ferreiros xunta albergue seem to have ignored the Xunta directive to empty and disable the pilgrims kitchen,

Are there others that are still equiped and functioning?
We have been following this and a thought has occurred to us. Is it in fact the oven that has to be disabled, (the cocina) rather than the kitchen as a whole? The reason being safety as too many pilgrims were using them to dry their clothes. Terry saw a warning about this 3 years ago.
Many now have just a couple of hotplates or a microwave to heat food/cook, but not closed kitchens.

Lack of utensils for cooking might still be a problem if they have 'walked' either officially or unofficially. :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I went last time I assumed they did this to pressure pilgrims into spending money on meals in nearby establishments, I find it difficult to take seriously this talk of safety concerns about people drying clothes. Whatever their motive for this it is not acceptable, many of us are travelling on a budget, have particular dietary requirements or both as in my case or perhaps just want to cook for themselves and others as it's a nice thing to do. We should contact the authority to request they provide these facilities for those who need/want them.

"Whatever their motive for this it is not acceptable, many of us are travelling on a budget, have particular dietary requirements or both as in my case or perhaps just want to cook for themselves and others as it's a nice thing to do. We should contact the authority to request they provide these facilities for those who need/want them."

Not acceptable? No one HAS to provide pilgrim albergues, much less kitchenware, kitchens, gas, electricity, water, toilets, beds, and all the rest. Pilgrims are entitled to NOTHING. If there´s a place to stay, it´s because someone made an effort to make it happen for you. But for a pilgrim to say it´s "not acceptable," and to cry "budget" to municipalities struggling to keep their own streets paved and lights burning, well... you can always just go home, pilgrim. Back where all these things are acceptably provided to you, no doubt, on a donativo basis.

A tourist demands. A pilgrim asks how he can help. And the kitchenware is usually "stripped" by your fellow pilgrims...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re: Re: I found a Xunta albergue with a equipted functioning kit

Rebekah Scott said:
"Whatever their motive for this it is not acceptable, many of us are travelling on a budget, have particular dietary requirements or both as in my case or perhaps just want to cook for themselves and others as it's a nice thing to do. We should contact the authority to request they provide these facilities for those who need/want them."

Not acceptable? No one HAS to provide pilgrim albergues, much less kitchenware, kitchens, gas, electricity, water, toilets, beds, and all the rest. Pilgrims are entitled to NOTHING. If there´s a place to stay, it´s because someone made an effort to make it happen for you. But for a pilgrim to say it´s "not acceptable," and to cry "budget" to municipalities struggling to keep their own streets paved and lights burning, well... you can always just go home, pilgrim. Back where all these things are acceptably provided to you, no doubt, on a donativo basis.

A tourist demands. A pilgrim asks how he can help. And the kitchenware is usually "stripped" by your fellow pilgrims...

BRAVO and thank you

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don´t think for a minute that there is "Xunta directive" to strip kitchens! There is no "official" reason for such a thing.
On the other hand ... Come on! Maria, the hospitalera, is a paid employee of the Xunta and has never walked a step on the Camino. She is married to Manolo who has a brother-in-law, Jesus, whose nephew (Alberto) runs the local bar/restaurant... Pots and pans are useful, or at the very least easy to store in one's kitrchen.
Anyway, you cheapskate pilgrims: this country is in an economical CRISIS. Haven't you heard?
(And by Galicia you gotta be SICK of pasta!)
:wink: :wink:

And BRAVO Rebekah! Really, "Pilgrims" these days.... :oops:

Xunta budgets are the first ones cut. León closed a hundred beds last year because it was a money-losing proposition. I know no one in the Forum broke or stole the kitchen equipment, but some pilgrim did. Expecting the local government to pay for pilgrim negligence is unrealistic. I suspect that they assume that the pilgrims on a budget are the ones who take a spoon or a glass, and they resent it. Take a cook kit if you self-cater, and you will control your own fate. I suggest that you do not loan it to other pilgrims; it may suffer the same fate as the xunta equipment.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bravo, Rebecca, and thank you. Last year when I walked the Mozarabe, VDLP and Sanabres to Santiago and Finisterre, I felt very embarrassed when I heard pilgrims complaining about the cost of albergues, meals and continually looking for donativa so they could get a free night. The Spanish people are suffering enough, without having to worry about selfish pilgrims. If one hasn't sufficient money to walk the Camino , then stay at home until you have sufficient means. The Camino will always be there. Maybe you are not meant to walk it at this time.
I come from Australia, and there is no way anyone here could get such cheap accommodation. Spain is a beautiful country, and I found the Spanish people to be so helpful and kind. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to walk 1300 kms across such an amazing country.

Sandra

I have a lot of the same reactions to the albergue complaint as others have more eloquently expressed. Like Sandra, I am continually amazed at how people wearing hundreds of dollars of expensive high tech clothing and carrying the latest technological gadget are always on the lookout for "free" albergues or ways to get a better deal. But no matter how much money you have to spend, Reb is spot on with her observation about how entitled we seem to have become. In a country with unemployment over 30%, people committing suicide when the bank comes to foreclose on their home, unimagainable cuts to public education and other basic services, how dare we demand that the local government improve our nightly accommodations (for which we pay 6 euros) and stock the kitchen so that we may happily cook for ourselves. Laurie

Thank you all to everyone who have spoken out on behalf of the albergues - be it xunta, municipal, parochial, local or regional. Special thanks to rebekah, caminogen, priscillian, sandra, falcon, laurie who all have the courage to speak out against the excessive demands of some of the new waves of peregrino.

Please note, it costs a lot of money to operate and run an albergue. The albergues are provided for use by peregrinos as a privilege and a courtesy, not as a righr demanded by many peregrinos. We are very fortunate to have a place to stay at the end of the day. In the current economic climate in spain, we are very lucky that many albergues are still opened to receive us. It has been pointed out previously that many peregrinos have spent so much money buying expensive gears for the camino and yet complain about the small things. Let me explained why some of the albergues do not have fully equipped kitchens. One reason could be fire regulations prohibit the use of open flame. Another reason is the cost of electricity and gas in spain are very expensive. Gas is provided by heating oil. You will notice at least microwave oven is usually provided. I have also seen utensils- knives, spoons, forks, even can and cork screw opener, taken by peregrinos. Recent experience as a long termed hospitalero in sdc leads me to notice the kitchen areas are not cleaned and left in a mess.

Thanks again to all who have the courage to speak out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
piogaw said:
Thank you all to everyone who have spoken out on behalf of the albergues - be it xunta, municipal, parochial, local or regional. Special thanks to rebekah, caminogen, priscillian, sandra, falcon, laurie who all have the courage to speak out against the excessive demands of some of the new waves of peregrino.

I take offence in your suggestion that the new wave pilgrims are less worthy than those who have walked in the past.

There is nothing wrong with pilgrims asking questions, after all this is a forum, and different points of view should allowed to be expressed. There is nothing wrong with making others aware of the situation with certain Albergues, I know of a large family group ( new wave perigrinos ) that stayed at the Portamarin Xunta albergue in June, they saw the large modern spacious kitchen and dining area, and based on what they saw they went to the supermarket and purchased food to cook, they were shattered when they went to prepare their meal, the kitchen was bare. I guess their expectations were excessive?

Open flames in Xunta albergue kitchens? All the cook tops that I have seen were ceramic or magnetic induction, never gas.

I will agree with you on one point pilgrims rarely clean the kitchens properly

As a relatively novice pilgrim I find some of the comments on this subject rather difficult to understand (or accept). Whilst I can understand where she is "coming from" I thought Rebecca was a bit strong in her condemnation. However I also agree that a pilgrim's "donation" only entitles her/him to a place to sleep (hopefullya clean dry bed); a functioning bathroom/toilet (again hopefully with hot water); and finally a place to store your backpack and do any laundry. In return for a "fee" of less than E10 ($16 AUD/USA/CAN) to expect or even demand that there be a functioning and fully equipped kitchen is more than a little over the top. If there is a kitchen then a sink and a few plates/mugs/glasses and maybe some knives and forks should be all that may be expected; nothing more (although a small working fridge in summer would also be a bonus). Oh and remember to clean up after you have used the facilities - even to the extent that it is cleaner when you finish than when you started!!!?
If your diet or budget requires more than this then either bring them yourself or yes postpone your Camino until your budget can be stretched to accommodate buying from local establishments. The current state of the Spanish economy (bad as it is) should not really dictate to pilgrims that they "must" support every bar/cafe/shop for the entire Camino (only those that are worthy of such support). Beun Camino :?

Camino12 said:
If one hasn't sufficient money to walk the Camino , then stay at home until you have sufficient means. The Camino will always be there. Maybe you are not meant to walk it at this time.
Sandra

Is the Camino only for pilgrims with money? My understanding is that the donativo establishments will provide what they can for genuine needy pilgrims no questions asked. Some of those needy pilgrims are unemployed Spanish youths trying to find some direction/inspiration?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ffp13 said:
piogaw said:

I take offence in your suggestion that the new wave pilgrims are less worthy than those who have walked in the past.

There is nothing wrong with pilgrims asking questions, after all this is a forum, and different points of view should allowed to be expressed.

I am not sure that a comment
"excessive demands of some"
is saying that
the new wave pilgrims are less worthy than those who have walked in the past.

Having been a forum member since February 2008 it certainly appears to me that there are some demands and expectations now that were not there 5 years ago! Having seen the way some pilgrims treat the accomodation and, on occasion, verbally abuse bar staff and others, I am suprised that there are still volunteers for the task of hospitaleros!
The "demand" (that was how it came over) that the hospitaleros should be available to open up when the pilgrim arrives is another example of "excessive demands"!

Sure, ask your questions and express your opinion! But don't get offended when someone else expresses theirs!
On my caminos I have only been treated with courtesy and respect. I hope that I have been able to reciprocate with gratitude for the care that I (and my wife) have received, sometimes in very difficult circumstances.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Rebekah Scott said:

LOL - :)

Love your style Ms Scott! I've been reading this forum for a few weeks this year and have been amazed at some of the threads and attitudes being pushed. People with a sense of entitlement; suggestions that pepper spray be taken and displayed to deter potential robbers; a thread on whether certain shoes were stylish enough and what clothes one ought to wear to show one was 'together' and stylish enough.... I wondered if some of them had any idea what a pilgrimage was about. Unfortunately, this is what happens when something like the Camino features in films and mass market books.

Some people need to be put straight. If you think you are entitled to be given stuff free on the Camino, stay at home. If you think walking on the Camino with a pepper spray can on your belt (really - this was said) stay away from Europe altogether. If you think it is important to be planning your clothing ensemble for evening wear so you look 'together', don't come on pilgrimage.

'Accept and be grateful'.
Really? Sometimes on pilgrimage and in life in general that's the easy option. But nothing ever got better as a result. Politely 'asking the question' seems to me to be a good starting point for anything that doesn't seem quite right, both on the camino and elsewhere in life - if you are brave enough.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had certainly not anticipated the vitriol and self righteous assertions about my attitude towards pilgrimage from my post and rest assured I do not need a lecture in the socio-economic problems facing the populations of the majority or minority populations of our world. I do not expect anything for free and do not spend significat amounts on the latest gear. I always clean up after myself and frequently after others in Refugios and often on the route as I hate litter. I assume the above apllies to most pilgrims and that it is only the minority who expect things for free and someone else to clean up after them - who knows. This rubbish about looking for free lodgings belongs on another thread as it has nothing to do with what I posted.

On reflection my use of the word terms "motivation" and "not acceptable" were possibly ill advised and less thoughtful than they could be given the rush I was in and that I don't have the time to spend half of my life on internet forums. I did also suggest that we "request" certain facilities so hopefully that wont offend anyone even though I forgot to specify that of course the price of pans etc should be borne by the collective pilgrims.

I think one term used was "crying about budget" and someone else came up with the idea of waiting till you can afford it - and I am the one being accused of un pilgrim like attitudes! - provision of a basic kithen facility will enable people to undertake the pilgrimage with less money and possibly reach the state of pilgrim nirvana - hood obviously achieved by some of the respondents here albeit not yet by me obviously. These pilgrims might also be able to eat according to any dietary requirements/allergies that they may be bringing along with them on their pilgrimage given the difficulty in having these met in local establishments on occasion.

If my query as to Kitchens being stripped to encourage us into local bars/cafes is not true then so be it, it is a suspicion I have but suspicions can sometimes be proven wrong or right, someone said on this thread that a forum should be an ok place to ask questions - absolutely. I would suggest that replies to threads that we disagree with should be direct, courteous and avoid judgement and nastiness, this will encourage more people to take part and reduce the fear of inadvertantly committing a camino faux pas.

We (especially I) have some serious problems with allergies but have never found that the lack of kitchen equipment has been an impediment to our Caminos. Rather we have checked out the menus in the local bars/cafes etc and also the ingredients we have bought to make our own meals or snacks. We have found folk very helpful and understanding when we have requested help or information.

Genuine needs are met with sympathy but some find 'life-style' choices hard to understand. If there is a genuine medical need then a note in Spanish helps if conversation is not up to explaining the problem.

Some folk seem to jump to the conclusion that any apparently critical comment applies to them personally. This is not necessarily the case, but does make one wonder why the reaction.

Terry B

I have read the post again that I had commented on, and I concur that I misinterpreted what was said.

My view is that you are I entitled to whatever you want on the Camino, as long as you are prepared to pay full price. If you pay less than full price then you are receiving charity, and those in receipt of charity should not be too choosy (within reason) reasonable expectations should not be confused as a sense of entitlement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Speaking up on things that might change, say an empty toilet paper roll, is worthwhile. Expecting a place to go out and buy kitchen equipment would be futile, particularly at a xunta albergue where the ayuntamiento would need to vote on it. Expectations should be realistic and reflect the idea that beggars cannot be choosers. In a Parador you can raise your expectations!!

ffp13 said:
Terry B

I have read the post again that I had commented on, and I concur that I misinterpreted what was said.

My view is that you are I entitled to whatever you want on the Camino, as long as you are prepared to pay full price. If you pay less than full price then you are receiving charity, and those in receipt of charity should not be too choosy (within reason) reasonable expectations should not be confused as a sense of entitlement.

Fair comment!

Just two more points.
When I walked through Fonsagrada on the Primitivo in 2009 I stayed in a hostal in the town, rather than walk down to the Albergue and have to come back for a meal. I was made most welcome by the owner and paid my dues after breakfast next morning. Last year we stayed in the same hostal and the same owner wanted payment "up front". Some had sneaked out of the side door in the early hours without paying! Things have changed along with the harder economic climate.

When staying in an Albergue that is "donativo" (Alejandro's in Bodonaya comes to mind) it is good, when possible to leave more than the going rate as a donation. This does enable the owner to provide some "charity" to those in real need. These donativo albergues are privately owned and do have to cover their costs! The old saying is good - TINSTAAFL. (There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Blessings
Tio Tel

I want to apologize for my preachy attitude but the comment that albergues without fully stocked kitchens were "unacceptable" hit a raw nerve with me. I have walked a lot of caminos, and there is no doubt in my mind that the sense of entitlement has increased exponentially. I was wrong to lump the OP into that group based on a few sentences but after hearing this complaint so many times, I just snapped. Lesson learned.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back