• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I get lost in this new forum format......cause I'm a simpleton.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
So my question is "What is the best way to check threads and posts?"
Currently I get the daily email, scan it, then sometimes reply to threads of interest.
But by only checking the email I miss other threads and replies not included in the email.
So I go and look at "New Posts", then "Recent Posts", then to the "Caminos" I am currently interested in.
Then I go check "Alerts" to see if anyone has replied to my posts so as not to be rude if they have asked a question.
Now I notice other sections, "New Replies", and "Most Viewed Threads".
And still I come across interesting threads that are sometimes weeks old that I haven't seen before.
I am doubling or trebling on the finding of some posts, and missing others.
I need a plan.
I'm somewhat bewildered, and have the sneaking suspicion that all I need is a good slapping because I'm stupid.
Anybody got any ideas on the best way I should approach this problem?

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We don't have the updates e-mail, but do have e-mails for conversations and some watched threads. You can select/deselect these for both watching and e-mail.
My mothod is simply to log-in and read Recent posts, remembering that there are 2 pages of them if I have not been around for a time. The New posts panel is useful. Does New posts show all the posts since the last log-in as previously?
Terry tends to hit Recent posts without logging in. Does it make a difference to what appears apart from not showing the members area?
Sorry my answer seems to be more questions for you.

now I click on "New Posts" and then "Recent Posts" this gives a list of all the latest posts in all categories. Hope this helps.
My method is simply to log-in and read Recent posts, remembering that there are 2 pages of them if I have not been around for a time. The New posts panel is useful. Does New posts show all the posts since the last log-in as previously?
Terry tends to hit Recent posts without logging in.
Thanks folks. I just created a new thread called 'In Torres del Rio' and went looking for it.
There it was in "Camino Frances" as expected, also in "Recent Posts" but not in "New Posts".
I guess I just need to ascertain if everything goes into "Recent", and what goes into "New" and in what way it may be helpful.

Regards and thanks
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In addition to the good ideas mentioned above by others, here is my contribution to education. At the top of every forum page is a wide horizontal search bar. Next to it - on the left side of the page - is a rather large blue arrow pointing directly to the search box.

spacer2.png.pagespeed.ce.1kMN6Y43BU.png

Ivar has adapted the Google search engine to perform a two-step search for any terms you place in that search box. The best way to locate something within the forum is to type in KEY WORDS, alone or in context. Examples might include: "water" or "Is water safe along the Camino" or "water bottle."

You can ask questions, but the search engine will search for the entire phrase, then the combined terms then all key words and nouns. Using the above question "Is water safe along the Camino?" the results would likely be any conversation containing the exact question, followed by results for "is water safe" and along the Camino, followed by results showing only "water" or "camino" or "safe (a box with a lock used to store things."

In other words, the Google search results decline in relevance to the original question or search phrase used as you move down the page of results.

The embedded Google search engine will first show you all INTERNAL results from the forum conversations, in declining order of relevance. You can click on those links to proceed to the conversation containing your search word or term.

NOTE / TIP: on most computers, if you RIGHT-CLICK on the link, you can choose to "open the link in a new tab" so you do not lose the original page you are on. I think that is the page with all the search results.

Next, the search engine will show you EXTERNAL results. These would be the same sort of results you would get if you went direct to google.com (or whatever the country suffix is: google.es, .fr., nl, etc.) and just did a regular Google search.

If you were interested in all posts by a particular user, I found the easiest way is to use the person's user ID in the smaller search window in the upper, right hand corner of your window.

I hope this helps.

Hi Gerad all the above is great advice, but knowing what a rascal geradcarey can be;) I suspect you are suggesting some yellow arrows to help you on your mission?
Not blue ones t2andreo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Gerad all the above is great advice, but knowing what a rascal gerald carey can be;) I suspect you are suggesting some yellow arrows to help you on your mission?
Not blue ones t2andreo

Ivar uses the blue arrow. It was not my idea. :eek:

I am still looking for yellow arrows, each day, 4,000 miles from the Camino. However, I have slightly more than three months to go before I am back on my way.;)

Ivar uses the blue arrow. It was not my idea. :eek:

I am still looking for yellow arrows, each day, 4,000 miles from the Camino. However, I have slightly more than three months to go before I am back on my way.;)
Whilst we been busy talking web directions on this post geradcarey has been getting drunk and climbing walls after lights out on another post. He slips around this forum pretty cutely, my suspicions were well placed I thought he was up to something!!!! See here: In Torres del Rio…..Where I Stormed the Battlements

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No Gerard you are not stupid and neither am I ........BUT I cannot get back to my posts or replies?Simply cannot get around the forum.
I saw a post about new members asking a question and disappearing .We don't disappear as much as float around the site in Limbo
Hoping to see a familiar face or thread
Sometimes I,m exhausted after trying to find replies etc.I think it will be easier to just walk the Camino (s) cold turkey so to speak:))

No Gerard you are not stupid and neither am I ........BUT I cannot get back to my posts or replies?Simply cannot get around the forum.
To see your own post, you need to go to your profile. (Click your username under the photo, then "Profile page"). There you find the "postings" tab wiht all of your posts. (If you are using the mobile app this will be different.)

Hope this helps,
Ivar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ivar, can I add that if we want to see another members posts then clicking on their name under their avatar and then on their profile gives all their post/threads etc. as well as being where we can start a Converstion with that member.

I actually find it easier to search the site now than before - for me it was just a case of getting used to new ways of doing things.:)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back