• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I got blisters...

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello folks

I'm guessing most folks know that I've just finished my camino... some of you will also know that I got blisters. I thought some may find it useful to learn how I dealt with them... I'm no expert so this is just my findings.

Firstly I found so much good advice here... second I found this brilliant website http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/the-advanced-guide-to-blister-prevention#.VEwJFhbtiJU
third... I tried a range of methods until i found what worked for me... and I think trial and error is really important.

1. Make sure your boots fit!

My boots were too narrow. I had jitters before I left and I should have trusted my instinct and changed. I also made the mistake of buying boots that were too big in the early days of training too. There is a lot of advice that says buy shoes bigger but be careful you dont go too big.

I was lucky in that I was able to buy a new pair of shoes in Estella and they worked a treat. I met another guy that struggled to find a replacement and I have no idea if he was able to continue.

2. Get the right socks.

I think this is all down to personal preference and the fit of your boot. I tried with 5 different socks before I found the right combination. I also played with the combination during my walk as the heat of the mesata cause my feet to swell and the rain in galicia caused them to shrink.

I used a coolmax liner and a drymax sock... loved this combination. I added a merino wool sock as my feet shrunk back... so I was wearing three socks! I also found I had a different combination on each foot. 2 coolmax and a drymax on the right and a coolmax, drymax and merino on the left.

When I started walking again with the blisters I just wore 2 coolmax liners on each foot because I had padded and dressed my toes... so not so much room in my shoe.

I guess I'm saying dont be afraid to experiment and take a few options with you. And... hand wash them at home and see how long they take to dry.

3. Stop regularly and take off your shoes and socks.

So many pilgrims said to me that they wouldn't dare take off their shoes during the day but your feet feel so much better after a bit of an air and a wiggle. The days that I never did this were the days that I suffered most... and the days that blisters formed. I 'loved my feet' every couple of hours... which tied in nicely with a coffee/aquarius break.

4. Dont use compeed on blisters.

I bought lots of compeed in the begining but the medical centre I visited told me to stop. They advised compeed is good for hotspots but not blisters

5. Visit a medical centre asap if you can.

I was directed to a centre by a spanish pilgrim... they said that help was free to pilgrims? Not sure if this is true as they did take my EU health card details but they also treated my blisters. They popped them and dressed them and told me what to buy so that i could continue the treatment. If you can't get to a medical centre ask folks running the albergue as they will often be used to seeing blisters... and the pharmacies are also knowledgable.

6. Visit the pharmacy and get yourself a good blister kit.

I was particularly paranoid about keeping my blisters as clean as possible. I had the iodene solution, antibacterial cream, antiseptic cream, second skin and alcohol wipes... along side pins, gauze and dressings. As I walked I learned more and the more my kit changed... I swapped and shared items with other pilgrims as I went along too.

If you are popping a blister remember that you want to keep the skin intact as it protects the new skin underneath and keeps it all clean... someone did thread some cotton through one of my blisters but it came out at night... but folks swear by this method as it allows the fluid a way out.

2014-09-19 13.18.38.jpg

7. I loved the gel/foam tubes

I bought a supply of these before i left and I loved them! I used a large one over my big toe and used them on my little toes... sometimes I even put one on my middle toe. for me they were one of the best bits of kit I had. They were expensive en route so buy them before you leave.

8. I love Vics!!

Everyone says use vasoline on your feet. I tried this and I tried a slick stick... I never loved either. But then a friend told me to try Vic's menthol rub... LOVED this! I put it on every morning and whenever I stopped to 'love my feet' I reapplied it. Not only was it a great lubricant it also smelt wonderful.

9. Dont walk

I walked into Estella in my socks late in the morning and I booked into a hostel. I stayed there for the rest of that day and the next. I stayed in bare feet, popped the blisters as needed and applied all the gels and creams as directed. On the third and fourth day I walked only 9km and 10km. This was enough time for my blisters to heal.

The one thing I learned for sure is that a blister will not get better on it's own... the quicker you can deal with them the faster they will go.

I'm no expert and I'm a novice walker and other folks have way more knowledge than me... but I hope some folks find this useful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is a post that will mean a lot more to people after they've walked the Camino awhile (maybe even the first day). Hopefully, they will remember your good advice to ease their suffering. I know my blister kit ended up looking a lot like yours (a lot of items I bought along the way). I hope no one gets blisters, but if they do this is great info. I know of at least one person that had to end their camino due to infected blisters. Thanks for the info and pic!

My blisters didn't start until the Meseta. I know it sounds weird, but sewing an "X" with dental floss into my blisters was very effective.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good post @LesBrass and I agree with all your information. What sort of shoes did you finish up with?

A good post @LesBrass and I agree with all your information. What sort of shoes did you finish up with?

Kanga I ended up with a pair of Salomon's. I had bought a pair to try at home 2 weeks before I left... and a pair of Keens. I just couldn't decide at home if they were better so stuck with the Mammut and sent the others back. I really wish I had trusted my instinct.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/x-ultra-ltr-gtx.html
http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/x-ultra-ltr-gtx.html
My feet must have got wider pretty quickly... but even with the blisters when I tried on the salomon they felt comfortable. I do think they were a little too long as I ended up with a little heel blister but it never got out of hand and I knew how to deal with it... and I played around the with socks... so it was never a probem.

The little shop in Estella was brilliant... lovely guy. Clearly used to pilgrims arriving with problems. I bought a pair of addidas flip-flops too as my keen sandal straps rubbed over my toe blisters. I sent them (and the boots) on to Santiago and collected them as soon as I arrived... and I've worn the keen sandals ever since :)

Love your advice, LesBrass. What a great idea to use Vick. I'm going to try that and see if it's good for hard skin. :)

Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I'm still confused as to what to wear on my feet. Did you wear your sandals/flip-flops for walking in or just for the evenings? I'm particularly interested if anyone wore sandals or low canvas shoes to walk all the way, as I can't wear boots or high shoes due to funny ankle and foot bones, and I never wear socks, even in winter (who is this odd woman, you're probably thinking, lol). Anyway, I walk all over the place in my sandals and canvas shoes (without socks) and never have a problem with discomfort. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Love your advice, LesBrass. What a great idea to use Vick. I'm going to try that and see if it's good for hard skin. :)

Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I'm still confused as to what to wear on my feet. Did you wear your sandals/flip-flops for walking in or just for the evenings? I'm particularly interested if anyone wore sandals or low canvas shoes to walk all the way, as I can't wear boots or high shoes due to funny ankle and foot bones, and I never wear socks, even in winter (who is this odd woman, you're probably thinking, lol). Anyway, I walk all over the place in my sandals and canvas shoes (without socks) and never have a problem with discomfort. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this on the Camino.

Hi Eillen - I sympathise with the shoe problem... I had a dreadful job trying to find the right shoe and failed!

I wore a shoe... I tried boots but did prefer the shoe. I also took Keen whisper sandals but sent them on to Santiago because they rubbed where i had blisters and instead I bought a pair of addidas flip-flops instead. I saw lots of people wearing Teva hiking sandals and I am going to buy some for future walking trips. I also have a pair of Keen Newports and regretted leaving them behind. I saw most folks wearing sandals with socks but I guess go with whatever works for you. Some of the terrain is rough and there are lots of stoney paths so make sure your shoes are up to the task... try a few variations and just find what works best for you. I do think you can wear a combo of sandals and shoes as not all the terrain is rough.

My only add to this would be to try and find a cobbler to stretch out your boots if the issue is merely that they are a bit too tight. It's just a few dollars compared to starting fresh with the expense of a new purchase. I happen to know there is one in Estella but only through a quick search. I had a pr stretched before leaving home when I decided to take a different pair I already owned. I'm not prone to blisters but have a lengthy preventative measure process (except for ignoring this completely 4 years ago on a 20 mile rainy day blissfully enjoying the familiar Black Valley (Ireland) in the rain and later paying the price (but what a great day!) Anyway, a little stretch for a few bucks can really make a big difference if the issue is just a wee bit too tight. Nice post.

Your blister kit looks exactly like mine! :), except for the Compeed. The "Star" of the kit was the Leukoplast tape. I would put a strip underneath my foot (plantar) and on the heels. I did not even got hot spots. This tape was a last minute addition and became my most precious cargo.

Sounds as the problem with the boots was the fitting. Second the above suggestion to have them stretched. I have tried Keen, Teva sandals and could not wait to take them off my feet; extremely uncomfortable for MY feet . I walked the Camino on Merrell boots (1 size larger) and have no complaints. I inherited my Mom's weak ankles and the ankle support provided by my Merrells boots probably saved my Camino many times over.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great information. My first camino is Sept/Oct 2015 and I'm in the research stage. Getting excited / nervous / "what are you thinking?" Thanks again.
Welcome to the Forum Roxane, I have done a couple of caminos and still get those same feelings every time. Many say that you start your camino when you begin your planning so pilgrim "Buen camino"

Great information. My first camino is Sept/Oct 2015 and I'm in the research stage. Getting excited / nervous / "what are you thinking?" Thanks again.

Welcome Roxane. There are quite a few of us here starting Sept/Oct 2015. I myself plan to leave SJPdP September 7th.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked in my Salomon boots which suddenly, after about 1000km (had I killed them?), gave me blisters. Was so happy to have a pair of Teva sandals which I walked in, with socks, for about three days until the blisters were under control. Will always take the Tevas as back-ups now.

@Eileen W if wearing sandals and low canvas shoes with no socks suit your feet - then don't be dissuaded. Many people love walking sandals. John Hillaby walked thousands of kilometers in lightweight canvas shoes. He did need new ones quite frequently but if they are easy to replace you can plan for that by shopping in the major towns along the route (Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Leon) or sending extra pairs to be collected from a post office along the way.

You do need to trial your footwear by doing at least a couple of 20 km hikes wearing a fully loaded backpack. You might need a bit more support than you expect.

I bought lots of compeed in the begining but the medical centre I visited told me to stop. They advised compeed is good for hotspots but not blisters
I would agree with this, I saw some pilgrims in 2012 using compeed on really bad blisters and their poor feet were in horrendous condition. One guy told me that you don't remove the compeed, just add more on top. This makes no sense to me at all, its like putting a clean dressing on top of an old one and expect the wound to heal.
Great post LesBrass.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome Roxane. There are quite a few of us here starting Sept/Oct 2015. I myself plan to leave SJPdP September 7th.
And I hope to leave mid-September.
Suzanne

I also go blisters...but mine were from trying to walk someone else's walk. I landed up walking far to fast for my own pace, and once I had 'let them go :) ' if you see what mean, no more blisters....until the rain! Then walking in wet shoes and socks = blisters. I tried the sewing a thread though the blister...didn't work for me, what did work was 1. cleaning the blister with tee-tree oil, then using my Leatherman scissors, just cutting into the blister, letting it drain over night and then put a plaster on it and off I went. The skin healed very well underneath and once I got home to South Africa a pedicure sorted out the dead blister skin (and was a lovely pamper session for me :) )

My sister wore Merrill sandals with Smartwool socks the whole way. Worked well for her except in the steep downhill rocky parts. If you have poles it will help to keep your balance and maybe tape your ankles on the tricky parts. What you normally wear will work, just listen to your body and rest when needed.

We used duct tape on hot spots, and a runners glide every morning before putting on shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My only add to this would be to try and find a cobbler to stretch out your boots if the issue is merely that they are a bit too tight. It's just a few dollars compared to starting fresh with the expense of a new purchase. I happen to know there is one in Estella but only through a quick search. I had a pr stretched before leaving home when I decided to take a different pair I already owned. I'm not prone to blisters but have a lengthy preventative measure process (except for ignoring this completely 4 years ago on a 20 mile rainy day blissfully enjoying the familiar Black Valley (Ireland) in the rain and later paying the price (but what a great day!) Anyway, a little stretch for a few bucks can really make a big difference if the issue is just a wee bit too tight. Nice post.
Hey, Saramago, what does your "lengthy preventative measure process" look like?

Hello folks

I'm guessing most folks know that I've just finished my camino... some of you will also know that I got blisters. I thought some may find it useful to learn how I dealt with them... I'm no expert so this is just my findings.

Firstly I found so much good advice here... second I found this brilliant website http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/the-advanced-guide-to-blister-prevention#.VEwJFhbtiJU
third... I tried a range of methods until i found what worked for me... and I think trial and error is really important.

1. Make sure your boots fit!

My boots were too narrow. I had jitters before I left and I should have trusted my instinct and changed. I also made the mistake of buying boots that were too big in the early days of training too. There is a lot of advice that says buy shoes bigger but be careful you dont go too big.

I was lucky in that I was able to buy a new pair of shoes in Estella and they worked a treat. I met another guy that struggled to find a replacement and I have no idea if he was able to continue.

2. Get the right socks.

I think this is all down to personal preference and the fit of your boot. I tried with 5 different socks before I found the right combination. I also played with the combination during my walk as the heat of the mesata cause my feet to swell and the rain in galicia caused them to shrink.

I used a coolmax liner and a drymax sock... loved this combination. I added a merino wool sock as my feet shrunk back... so I was wearing three socks! I also found I had a different combination on each foot. 2 coolmax and a drymax on the right and a coolmax, drymax and merino on the left.

When I started walking again with the blisters I just wore 2 coolmax liners on each foot because I had padded and dressed my toes... so not so much room in my shoe.

I guess I'm saying dont be afraid to experiment and take a few options with you. And... hand wash them at home and see how long they take to dry.

3. Stop regularly and take off your shoes and socks.

So many pilgrims said to me that they wouldn't dare take off their shoes during the day but your feet feel so much better after a bit of an air and a wiggle. The days that I never did this were the days that I suffered most... and the days that blisters formed. I 'loved my feet' every couple of hours... which tied in nicely with a coffee/aquarius break.

5. Visit a medical centre asap if you can.

I was directed to a centre by a spanish pilgrim... they said that help was free to pilgrims? Not sure if this is true as they did take my EU health card details but they also treated my blisters. They popped them and dressed them and told me what to buy so that i could continue the treatment. If you can't get to a medical centre ask folks running the albergue as they will often be used to seeing blisters... and the pharmacies are also knowledgable.

6. Visit the pharmacy and get yourself a good blister kit.

I was particularly paranoid about keeping my blisters as clean as possible. I had the iodene solution, antibacterial cream, antiseptic cream, second skin and alcohol wipes... along side pins, gauze and dressings. As I walked I learned more and the more my kit changed... I swapped and shared items with other pilgrims as I went along too.

If you are popping a blister remember that you want to keep the skin intact as it protects the new skin underneath and keeps it all clean... someone did thread some cotton through one of my blisters but it came out at night... but folks swear by this method as it allows the fluid a way out.

View attachment 14573

7. I loved the gel/foam tubes

I bought a supply of these before i left and I loved them! I used a large one over my big toe and used them on my little toes... sometimes I even put one on my middle toe. for me they were one of the best bits of kit I had. They were expensive en route so buy them before you leave.

8. I love Vics!!

Everyone says use vasoline on your feet. I tried this and I tried a slick stick... I never loved either. But then a friend told me to try Vic's menthol rub... LOVED this! I put it on every morning and whenever I stopped to 'love my feet' I reapplied it. Not only was it a great lubricant it also smelt wonderful.

9. Dont walk

I walked into Estella in my socks late in the morning and I booked into a hostel. I stayed there for the rest of that day and the next. I stayed in bare feet, popped the blisters as needed and applied all the gels and creams as directed. On the third and fourth day I walked only 9km and 10km. This was enough time for my blisters to heal.

The one thing I learned for sure is that a blister will not get better on it's own... the quicker you can deal with them the faster they will go.

I'm no expert and I'm a novice walker and other folks have way more knowledge than me... but I hope some folks find this useful.

Hiya good to hear your ok and well done on finishing ,we have also recently just finished our camino , we met so many people with blister problems ..and people buying boots one size up to their foot size !! The way we looked at it when we were told that was,I would never in a million years buy a pair of shoes that I wear more than my walking boots one size up !! I do believe though the secret to having no blisters is to train on hard surface there's a lot of it as you will know on the camino the constant pounding on your feet on gravel road Tarmac that's what does the damage, we only ever wore liners believe it or not... that was it ...but we did take breaks to cool our feet off even with just liners they got hot, we went into the camino with no blister and came out with no blister maybe it was just luck but personally I think it was the training on hard solid surface that we done before it .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My blister prevention starts with hydration. The body is 60% water and dry skin is easily damaged. On the Camino I drank my usual amount but at night drank an additional largest store bought bottle I could find and added my electrolytes then. I applied my Vaseline at night (it is soaked in by morning so never greasy - and seals in the hydration). In the morning I massaged my feet and put on my Injinji compression toe socks. These act much like the toe covers shown above. Over that, I put Darn Tough wool socks. I had decided on a different pair of boots already broken in because of the season change (was going sept 26 but had a rolling foot fall Aug 20) and couldn't walk due to broken ankle, ligaments, etc until January. With the season change, I decided to wear a latex-free sleeve/ace as a third layer, then needing to have the boots (Lowa Renegades) stretched to accommodate the sleeve. I aired by socks out during the day but never changed them or reapplied anything . I wore Gortex, gaiters, and slipped in extra plastic bits under my laces when it rained extra heavy. I did have the Compeed just in case. Anyway, every trip is different. I had to leave icy CT in the winter to learn to walk on good terrain - so spent a good time in Red Rocks, Death Valley and then the Mojave Desert and my routine was different because the temps were different. But I would say nighttime hydration and the nighttime massages, icing, Vaseline are most critical for my own foot care. I grew up in the White Mountains and have never been particularly prone but on a longer trip took extra precautions. Now high heels, there's a different story....

My blister prevention starts with hydration. The body is 60% water and dry skin is easily damaged. On the Camino I drank my usual amount but at night drank an additional largest store bought bottle I could find and added my electrolytes then. I applied my Vaseline at night (it is soaked in by morning so never greasy - and seals in the hydration). In the morning I massaged my feet and put on my Injinji compression toe socks. These act much like the toe covers shown above. Over that, I put Darn Tough wool socks. I had decided on a different pair of boots already broken in because of the season change (was going sept 26 but had a rolling foot fall Aug 20) and couldn't walk due to broken ankle, ligaments, etc until January. With the season change, I decided to wear a latex-free sleeve/ace as a third layer, then needing to have the boots (Lowa Renegades) stretched to accommodate the sleeve. I aired by socks out during the day but never changed them or reapplied anything . I wore Gortex, gaiters, and slipped in extra plastic bits under my laces when it rained extra heavy. I did have the Compeed just in case. Anyway, every trip is different. I had to leave icy CT in the winter to learn to walk on good terrain - so spent a good time in Red Rocks, Death Valley and then the Mojave Desert and my routine was different because the temps were different. But I would say nighttime hydration and the nighttime massages, icing, Vaseline are most critical for my own foot care. I grew up in the White Mountains and have never been particularly prone but on a longer trip took extra precautions. Now high heels, there's a different story....

Awesome! Thank you! Did you apply a lubricant again in the morning before you put on your socks or is it all in the nighttime application?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Awesome! Thank you! Did you apply a lubricant again in the morning before you put on your socks or is it all in the nighttime application?
Only at night. A really good slather all over and it is all soaked in by morning. I'm on the forum now because Im considering going back on Camino after Thanksgiving for Christmas in Santiago and I'll do what worked the first time (why fix what isn't broke - haha). Reading winter Camino stuff now;-D

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.