• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have 25 walking days. Do I have time to start in Lisbon if I am going to Finisterre and Muxia?

Marla in CA

Time of past OR future Camino
I am arriving at Madrid airport on May 1, 2020 and will start the Portuguese Camino on May 2. from where I have not decided yet. I am leaving Santiago on May 27. So that is my timeframe. I am interested in walking approximately 25 km a day. I will walk more on a few days, if necessary, but 25km is comfortable for me.
1) I want to hear people's thoughts on starting in Lisbon versus Porto.
2) Which route - Coastal or other?
3) I absolutely want to go to Finisterre and Muxia.
Given my time frame, do I have time to start in Lisbon if I am planning on going to F&M? If not, that settles my dilemma of Lisbon versus Porto!
Thank you in advance to anybody who weighs in. Incidentally, I just did SJPDP to Santigo and returned on Oct. 20. Can't wait to go back!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How about splitting the difference and starting in Coimbra? Unless you are willing to put in some very long days, I don't think that you have time to walk from Lisbon, and include Finisterre and Muxía, and you have lots more time than is necessary to walk from Porto.

Check out the stages that are suggested on Gronze.com

If you are comfortable with 30 km days, I think you would have time. If not, probably not. Look at Gronze’s stages. https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

They are pretty standard. One other thing to consider is that there are lots of good starting places in between Lisbon and Porto. Starting in Tomar would give you 20 “standard” stage days, leaving 4-5 for Finisterre and Muxia. If you don’t want to cut it that close, Coimbra is a good choice too. The cities on the central Portuguese route are well served by trains.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How about splitting the difference and starting in Coimbra? Unless you are willing to put in some very long days, I don't think that you have time to walk from Lisbon, and include Finisterre and Muxía, and you have lots more time than is necessary to walk from Porto.

Thank you so much

Thank you so much @trecile for all of this valuable info! This is exactly the kind of info I need! I love the idea of splitting the difference and appreciate your input re not enough time from Lisbon and too much time if I start in Porto. I will look up Gronze. Now I can narrow my research and figure out how to get from Madrid to Coimbra.

If you are comfortable with 30 km days, I think you would have time. If not, probably not. Look at Gronze’s stages. https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

They are pretty standard. One other thing to consider is that there are lots of good starting places in between Lisbon and Porto. Starting in Tomar would give you 20 “standard” stage days, leaving 4-5 for Finisterre and Muxia. If you don’t want to cut it that close, Coimbra is a good choice too. The cities on the central Portuguese route are well served by trains.
Thank you @peregrina2000, I will look up Gronze. I want to stay at around 25 km/day, and only on 2 or 3 days I will walk 30+ if I have to for one reason or another. That is what I did on the Frances when I wanted to end up in a certain place or certain albergue.

Last edited:
will start the Portuguese Camino on May 2. from where I have not decided yet. I am leaving Santiago on May 27. So that is my timeframe.
2) Which route?
Given my time frame, do I have time to start in Lisbon if I am planning on going to F&M? If not, that settles my dilemma of Lisbon versus Porto!
Well, it depends if you are a fast walker and if you are comfortable marching 30-35+km every day and still enjoy it. From the point of view of a hiker it might be possible but it's a tough one: according to Brierley's guidebook 13 days between Lisbon and Porto, then 9-10 to Santiago depending on the route you walk. Then 3 days from Santiago to Fisterra. These are bare minimum and may not allow for rest day in Porto, sightseeing in towns or fixing possible medical issues on the way so I guess it could be done if you like walking for the sake of walking/as a challenge. If Camino is more then a hiking trip then consider starting a bit further north then Lisbon - in Santarem, Tomar or Coimbra - then you'll have time to finish it in time in Finisterra. I walked from Santarem and quite enjoyed the walk, especially the stretch till Coimbra. It has a totally different feel to it then Porto to Santiago stretch and I guess will be very different from the Frances. The list of accommodation on the way: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues Don't miss the donativo albergue Casa Catolico in Branca, between Albergaria-a-Velha and Sao Joao da Madeira - it's a rare jem there for you! Bom Caminho to you! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, it depends if you are a fast walker and if you are comfortable marching 30-35+km every day and still enjoy it. From the point of view of a hiker it might be possible but it's a tough one: according to Brierley's guidebook 13 days between Lisbon and Porto, then 9-10 to Santiago depending on the route you walk. Then 3 days from Santiago to Fisterra. These are bare minimum and may not allow for rest day in Porto, sightseeing in towns or fixing possible medical issues on the way so I guess it could be done if you like walking for the sake of walking/as a challenge. If Camino is more then a hiking trip then consider starting a bit further north then Lisbon - in Santarem, Tomar or Coimbra - then you'll have time to finish it in time in Finisterra. I walked from Santarem and quite enjoyed the walk, especially the stretch till Coimbra. It has a totally different feel to it then Porto to Santiago stretch and I guess will be very different from the Frances. The list of accommodation on the way: https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues Don't miss the donativo albergue Casa Catolico in Branca, between Albergaria-a-Velha and Sao Joao da Madeira - it's a rare jem there for you! Bom Caminho to you! :)
Thank you for this info. Since I know nothing yet about the Portuguese route, the names of these towns really helps me. I will look up Santarem, TOmar and Coimbra and also look into how I get from Madrid to any of these towns.

Thank you, very helpful to know there are a lot of good starting points in between Lisbon and Porto.

Thank you @peregrina2000, I will look up Gronze. I want to stay at around 25 km/day, and only on 2 or 3 days, if I have to for one reason or another. That is what I did on the Frances when I wanted to end up in a certain place or certain albergue.

In that case, better start in Porto!
BC SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for this info. Since I know nothing yet about the Portuguese route, the names of these towns really helps me. I will look up Santarem, TOmar and Coimbra and also look into how I get from Madrid to any of these towns.
You are having a giraffe aren’t you? Giraffe/ laugh - making a joke. You know nothing about the Portugues routes but you’re proposing to walk one without checking how far it is or how long it will take. I like your style...

I want to stay at around 25 km/day, and only on 2 or 3 days, if I have to for one reason or another.
In that case, better start in Porto!

Porto is a delightful place that deserves more than a day of exploration. if you start there, you can take it very tranquilly to Santiago, have rest there as well, go to finisterre and muxia... and then if you still have time left, decide what to do.

EDIT: just to say that I stayed in Porto for 3 days myself... ate my way around and loved every minute. Visited churches, bookshops, did a walking tour (because not enough walking, right?), a wine tasting. It was SUCH a great time, and then I felt completely ready for the camino ahead.

Last edited:
I would do as told above, start in Porto. But spend extra day or two to see wonderful Porto.

towns/cities along the route are actually served very well by bus. excellent bus service. Especially in Spain

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get yourself a guidebook for the Camino Portuguese research it a bit with that and it will help you decide your route and starting point.
I found the Brierley guidebook to be good and had everything I needed in it. You can purchase one here on this forum.
Ultreia.

The Brierley Camino Portuguese Guidebook is good for planning - and useful while walking. It covers routes North from Lisbon.

This year I walked the Portugués from Lisbon to Santiago ...24 days, average about 27km per day. No rest days (have visited Porto and Lisbon before, and spent 3 days in each of them on the way back by train).
Last year I walked Santiago to Muxía to Finisterre at the end of my Francés...5 days altogether. So that would make 29 days altogether for your itinerary at my pace.
If I take out my first 4 days on the Portugués, it would mean starting at Santarém. But remember that was with no rest days or days up the sleeve for injury etc. (I had days up my sleeve but blessed to have not needed them.)
Bom Caminho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Maria. I have written lots and lots on my blog with photos, so you can see the towns mentioned and get an idea where it is best for you to start. I also have lots of information to help you decide which route to take once you get to Porto, the Coastal/Senda Litoral or the Central. The link, the Many Ways on the Camino Portugues will take you there. Happy planning!

I am arriving at Madrid airport on May 1, 2020 and will start the Portuguese Camino on May 2. from where I have not decided yet. I am leaving Santiago on May 27. So that is my timeframe. I am interested in walking approximately 25 km a day. I will walk more on a few days, if necessary, but 25km is comfortable for me.
Thank you in advance to anybody who weighs in. Incidentally, I just did SJPDP to Santigo and returned on Oct. 20. Can't wait to go back!
Why not start near Fatima? It is the most amazing place to walk into as a pilgrim. I often think it is as good as walking into Santiago. If you were to start in Santarem or Nazare, you have 2 days walk to Fatima, or from Tomar you have a one day walk. The donativo albergue attached to the Basilica in Fatima is great. On arrival at the albergue you are given a bag with starched heavy cotton sheets and pillowcase and pure white fluffy bath towel. Not ever come across that at any other donativo albergue.

From Fatima you then continue to Tomar or Ansiao to join the main route to Santiago. The route from Fatima to Ansiao you save a full days walking over the Tomar route due to the dog leg. All 3 legs from Santarem, Tomar and Ansiao are all well marked all the way and have loads of facilities and albergues.

I have regularly walked all of these beautiful routes. The routes to Fatima are nearly all off tarmac and follow tracks through rolling hills and beautiful countryside. It is some of the nicest walking on the entire route to Santiago. On any of these routes to include Fatima, your timescale would fit perfectly.

I live in the area and if you need any local information from a perpetual pilgrim, please ask.

Bom caminho to you, wherever you decide to start your special adventure in this peaceful and beautiful country.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This year I walked the Portugués from Lisbon to Santiago ...24 days, average about 27km per day. No rest days (have visited Porto and Lisbon before, and spent 3 days in each of them on the way back by train).
Last year I walked Santiago to Muxía to Finisterre at the end of my Francés...5 days altogether. So that would make 29 days altogether for your itinerary at my pace.
If I take out my first 4 days on the Portugués, it would mean starting at Santarém. But remember that was with no rest days or days up the sleeve for injury etc. (I had days up my sleeve but blessed to have not needed them.)
Bom Caminho.
Thank you @GraemeHall , this helps significantly.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not start near Fatima? It is the most amazing place to walk into as a pilgrim. I often think it is as good as walking into Santiago. If you were to start in Santarem or Nazare, you have 2 days walk to Fatima, or from Tomar you have a one day walk. The donativo albergue attached to the Basilica in Fatima is great. On arrival at the albergue you are given a bag with starched heavy cotton sheets and pillowcase and pure white fluffy bath towel. Not ever come across that at any other donativo albergue.

From Fatima you then continue to Tomar or Ansiao to join the main route to Santiago. The route from Fatima to Ansiao you save a full days walking over the Tomar route due to the dog leg. All 3 legs from Santarem, Tomar and Ansiao are all well marked all the way and have loads of facilities and albergues.

I have regularly walked all of these beautiful routes. The routes to Fatima are nearly all off tarmac and follow tracks through rolling hills and beautiful countryside. It is some of the nicest walking on the entire route to Santiago. On any of these routes to include Fatima, your timescale would fit perfectly.

I live in the area and if you need any local information from a perpetual pilgrim, please ask.

Bom caminho to you, wherever you decide to start your special adventure in this peaceful and beautiful country.
@hughb , thank you, thank you, thank you! Reading and re-reading your post with all of your helpful info!

Get yourself a guidebook for the Camino Portuguese research it a bit with that and it will help you decide your route and starting point.
I found the Brierley guidebook to be good and had everything I needed in it. You can purchase one here on this forum.
Ultreia.
@RJM, yes, agree, Brierley guides are the best!

The first three days out of Lisbon are industrial and grim. I suggest starting on Tomar.
Tomar is certainly the most charming of the early towns to start in, but if you're coming from Madrid, I'd choose Santarem instead. It's on the direct rail-line Madrid > Lisbon, and probably on bus routes as well. If you headed for Tomar, you'd likely have to go via Santarem, or at least Entroncamento, anyway. Tomar is on a rail spur line, and not on many direct bus routes. Santarem is the "provincial capital" for that part of Portugal, and most routes go through there. (If you go to Entroncamento, you're a very few km. away from Golega, which might also be a nice place to start).

Bom Caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tomar is certainly the most charming of the early towns to start in, but if you're coming from Madrid, I'd choose Santarem instead. It's on the direct rail-line Madrid > Lisbon, and probably on bus routes as well. If you headed for Tomar, you'd likely have to go via Santarem, or at least Entroncamento, anyway. Tomar is on a rail spur line, and not on many direct bus routes. Santarem is the "provincial capital" for that part of Portugal, and most routes go through there. (If you go to Entroncamento, you're a very few km. away from Golega, which might also be a nice place to start).

Bom Caminho!
@Friend from Barquinha, thank you, thank you, thank you! Based on all the responses, I think I will take a flight from Madrid to Lisbon, stay overnight and spend the next day sightseeing in Lisbon. Then I will go by bus or train to any one of these cities that you helpful people have suggested.

Bom Caminho!

I think, but you should correct me if I am wrong, that from Lisbon you can get a train directly to Tomar. But if there is time, starting to walk a bit earlier in Santarém is a great idea. How often do you get to walk past the (very humble) birthplace of a Nobel Prize winner (Saramago in Azinhaga)?! And Golega is another very nice little place, IMO, and I believe that there are now a few pilgrim accommodations there. Not to mention that Mario’s place in Santarém is not to be missed (SantaremHostel).

I think, but you should correct me if I am wrong, that from Lisbon you can get a train directly to Tomar. But if there is time, starting to walk a bit earlier in Santarém is a great idea. How often do you get to walk past the (very humble) birthplace of a Nobel Prize winner (Saramago in Azinhaga)?! And Golega is another very nice little place, IMO, and I believe that there are now a few pilgrim accommodations there. Not to mention that Mario’s place in Santarém is not to be missed (SantaremHostel).
@peregrina2000, I am so happy I posted in this forum. These kinds of personal opinions and experiences cannot be found in a guide! Thank you all for these great tips.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@hughb , thank you, thank you, thank you! Reading and re-reading your post with all of your helpful info!
if you need any local information, please ask, I moved to the area 3 years ago, hence the reason I often bimble around on various bits of the caminho for a few days at a time. Plus I try to walk at least 1 complete route each year. Until I moved here I had no idea how many choices of route there were, all are well marked but not covered by the English language guide books, although I believe that soon the CSJ guide will cover some.

if you need any local information, please ask, I moved to the area 3 years ago, hence the reason I often bimble around on various bits of the caminho for a few days at a time. Plus I try to walk at least 1 complete route each year. Until I moved here I had no idea how many choices of route there were, all are well marked but not covered by the English language guide books, although I believe that soon the CSJ guide will cover some.
[/QU
@hughb
@hughb , thank you. I am sure I will have more questions for you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From wherever you depart, as you sure you want to start walking immediately, without thought to jetlag or acclimation?

From wherever you depart, as you sure you want to start walking immediately, without thought to jetlag or acclimation?
That’s what I always used to think, till my schedule left me no option than to arrive from the US and start walking the next day. I was surprised to find that walking outdoors was the best cure for jet lag and I was fine. Some, like @jpflavin, arrive from the US and start walking that same day. I’ve never tried that, nor do I fly on a flight longer than 9 or 10 hours overnight so my downunder friends might have very different experiences. Everyone is different so you won’t know till you try.

Yes, I have given it thought. I just did the Camino Frances in October so I have a bit of experience. I am leaving U.S. April 30th, arrive in Madrid on May 1, and then need to get to where I will start. I will likely fly to Lisbon after landing in Madrid, explore Lisbon on May 2, then based on the tips in this forum, take a train or bus to somewhere between Lisbon and Porto. So I guess I might start a 25 km day or so on May 3. I can't wait for my Brierley guide to arrive!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You could start in Porto rather than Lisbon. I’ll be doing that in May - I’ve booked to do the Portuguese Coastal Camino through a travel company here in Australia (I’ll be doing it self-guided) so I’ll be walking from Porto to Santiago over 13 days and then from Santiago to Finisterre over four. I’m going to have a couple of days in Porto and a couple in Santiago on top of that, so that will be 21 or 22 days in total.

I walked from Lisbon to Santiago central route with detour to Fatima last year in 19 days. Would recommend skipping first 2 sections and starting in Azambuja.
I will took 4 days to Muxía and Fisterre.
I am a fairly fit 73 year old just for reference

I walked from Lisbon to Santiago central route with detour to Fatima last year in 19 days. Would recommend skipping first 2 sections and starting in Azambuja.
I will took 4 days to Muxía and Fisterre.
I am a fairly fit 73 year old just for reference
@Clay7011 , thank you so much for this info, and especially recommendation regarding starting point.

"I walked from Lisbon to Santiago central route with detour to Fatima last year in 19 days. Would recommend skipping first 2 sections and starting in Azambuja."

I haven't walked the route myself myself, but have "trained" it many times between Lisbon and Entroncamento and for the first part, I would agree. Unless you want to say "I've done the whole way," I'd train as far as Azambuja, or maybe Vila Franca de Xira (just before there.) The way out of Lisbon has interesting bits, but much of it is rundown old industrial sites and, I suspect, not all that pleasant walking.

Bom caminho!

I need to look at a map while I await my Brierley guide to arrive in the mail. The only 2 cities I have heard of are lisbon and Porto! So I appreciate all these recommendations re starting points - now need to see where they are!

Hi !
You would need to average 30+ km
At non - stop ( no relaxing days ) to cover
640+80+40 just to cover 760 km to Muxia in 25 days ... will power determination and keeping the faith along with your Mochila... anything is possible 🙏

I think it is quite ambitious. I won't say impossible but it does leave you no margin if things don't go as expected (and they rarely do). It is not what I would do, but I always like to give myself a healthy margin.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back