• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have a walking disability, which Camino is best this December?

NigelKing

Time of past OR future Camino
English
Hi I’m 67, got severe ankle arthritis in one ankle and a fused ankle on the other. It is painful to walk any distance, but a Camino would be so important for me spiritually.

I’ve been preparing spiritually for years for a pilgrimige and I’m current on a two month solo trip through Spain with my converted pickup truck. I walk with poles and am exercising so that I can walk between 4 and 8 km a day depending on terrain. I would leave the pickup somewhere, travel to a start point and forward my gear as I can’t carry any significant weight other than a light backpack. I know for sure that the Camino will look after me, my whole life has been that way, but it would help to pick the right Camino for closer accommodation and to manage the weather. I hope to give seven to ten days of the weather is right, and if I don’t get a Camino Pass then that’s not the end of the world. It’s more about letting go, humility, and my own inner journey.

Dear fellow walkers …. What do you suggest?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can you take 2 full weeks (or even a bit more) and go from Tui to Santiago? My recollection is that while some parts leaving the valleys are hilly, that it's nothing like trying to get from Sarria into Santiago. There is a fair amount of side-walk or road, but also there are simply stunning forest paths that are not rocky or knotted with tree roots.
If I'm not remembering correctly, I am sure someone will chime in, but that would be my thought -- your other option would be the flats on the Portuguese route from Caminha -- but Im concerned that in December that route may be too cold and too blustery, with not enough supports along the way.
Buen camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it would help to pick the right Camino for closer accommodation and to manage the weather.
Well, the weather tends to be resistant to efforts to manage it. Weather might be better in the south of Spain, while it will be wet and somewhat chilly in the north.

If you are walking 7 to10 days and 4 to 8 km/days, that means a journey of 28 to 80 km. You will not get a Compostela for that. You need to find a stretch that has accommodation every 4 to 8 km, in December. I suspect that will only happen between Sarria and Santiago, although perhaps the Portuguese will offer some options.

Maybe you could start in Sarria and see how it goes.

Your physical handicap is worse than mine, physically, as I can still manage to carry a backpack ; my days though sometimes can be as slow as yours, but more generally between 0K and 15K.

Infrastructure-wise, the easiest Camino route for you would always be the Camino Francès, else the Portuguès, and from either Sarria or Tui if you wished to finish in Compostela and gain your Compostela. You could probably manage that inside of 2 weeks, even 10 days, as the terrain is easier than elsewhere, if weather holds up. You may find yourself motivated sufficiently to up your 4K to 8K depending on terrain up towards 5K to 10K, given the relative ease of this terrain compared to elsewhere.

BTW, handicapped persons may, by exemption, qualify for the certificate even if they have motorised assistance, as you will, if you have proof of your disabled status, even should you need to do some of the 100K by pickup truck.

Your physical handicap is worse than mine, physically, as I can still manage to carry a backpack ; my days though sometimes can be as slow as yours, but more generally between 0K and 15K.

Infrastructure-wise, the easiest Camino route for you would always be the Camino Francès, else the Portuguès, and from either Sarria or Tui if you wished to finish in Compostela and gain your Compostela. You could probably manage that inside of 2 weeks, even 10 days, as the terrain is easier than elsewhere, if weather holds up. You may find yourself motivated sufficiently to up your 4K to 8K depending on terrain up towards 5K to 10K, given the relative ease of this terrain compared to elsewhere.

BTW, handicapped persons may, by exemption, qualify for the certificate even if they have motorised assistance, as you will, if you have proof of your disabled status, even should you need to do some of the 100K by pickup truck.
Thank you Jabba Papa. That is such a help. Sarria is sounding the best option. Thinking about it I’ll be starting in Sevilla anyway by pickup. Maybe that’s the place to do the most walking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If your problem was your knees, I would be suggesting the coastal Portugues. But it sounds like your biggest challenge is distance rather than hills. For the most infrastructure, the Frances is certainly your best bet. Remember also that if you run out of steam between albergues, you can always hire a taxi to take you to the next albergue and then back to where you left off the next morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I’m 67, got severe ankle arthritis in one ankle and a fused ankle on the other. It is painful to walk any distance, but a Camino would be so important for me spiritually.

I’ve been preparing spiritually for years for a pilgrimige and I’m current on a two month solo trip through Spain with my converted pickup truck. I walk with poles and am exercising so that I can walk between 4 and 8 km a day depending on terrain. I would leave the pickup somewhere, travel to a start point and forward my gear as I can’t carry any significant weight other than a light backpack. I know for sure that the Camino will look after me, my whole life has been that way, but it would help to pick the right Camino for closer accommodation and to manage the weather. I hope to give seven to ten days of the weather is right, and if I don’t get a Camino Pass then that’s not the end of the world. It’s more about letting go, humility, and my own inner journey.

Hi Nigel
I certainly would not wish to discourage you but probably the Camino with enough infrastructure for 4-8 km stages is the Camino Frances but then only from May to Sept.Also northern Spain in December is usualy cold and wet, think England in January.
There might just be enough open alberges from Sarria to Santiago but it is often the wettest part.
Obviously starting in Seville would be a good option weather wise but I am not sure about available accomodation.
I am into my seventies myself and walk two Caminos every year, usualy the Frances which is absolutely great.

I would definitely do some research ahead to see what accommodations are open in December. I recently finished my 5th on the Camino Frances and there were closed accommodations (due to COVID) and I know some of the places we stayed were closing for the winter. Also, check with baggage transport to make sure they provide services in the winter. As others have said the Sarria to Santiago is your best chance for services, but I would have phone service and a taxi’s number as I don’t believe you will always have services in 4-7km. Also, keep in mind that a winter Camino can be cold and you will need the proper gear.

My answer would be to avoid the months of winter if it is at all possible. Many places will be closed, and while it won't be seriously cold at low level it will be wet. This translates to slippery paths, difficulty drying clothes, and generally a harder time all round. I appreciate your strong motivation, but I don't think it should become a penance. If you think differently, then that's your privilege.
Be prepared to see far fewer people on the path, and in the albergues, which may or may not have adequate heating.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My youngest son has serious MS, terribly affecting his walking. He walked from Porto to Santiago, on the coastal route. He started at walking only 4 - 6 km a day, to ending at 8 - 10 km a day. When accommodation was not in reach we shamelessly took a taxi to shelter. A taxi was never far away. Ask at a bar and have the local number in your phone. I have walked the del Norte in late October into early November. Torrential rain, wind and cold. Many albergues and bars/restaurants closed. I wouldn't walk in Galicia in winter again. And I live in Alaska. I was planning to walk from Seville this last late September and did a lot of research. Then I too had a medical issue and decided the long distances between albergues and the need to carry a lot of water would be too much this year. Instead I walked from Pamplona to Burgos. Delightful. But you should avoid the downslope from Alto de Perdon. And use trekking poles. Buen Camino

Nigel, this will seem a strange comment on a Forum of hikers, walkers and persistent pilgrims, but you do not have to walk to Santiago to make Pilgrimage to Santiago. Those old bones are there for anyone who approaches with respect. If you were to walk from the city boundary to the shrine, or from the Municipal car-park on Rua das Trompas, or from anywhere you can with pilgrimage in your heart then you are a pilgrim.

You've said that it won't be the end-of-the-world if you don't get a "Camino Pass", I guess you mean a Compostella - the certificate awarded by the Pilgrims Office to those who walk at least 100km to Santiago. So be it. Make pilgrimage in your pick-up. Visit those key sites, the cities and their cathedrals, the monasteries, the little village churches, the memorials to the fallen....

"God does not count your steps, nor Santiago weigh your pack. Look to your heart pilgrim for why you pass this Way."

Edited to give the good Bishops aphorism its full run

Last edited:
The CF has the best infrastructure during high season. However, in December, there is often very little open between the larger towns. We walked in November for 17 km from Sarria to one open shop before stopping in Portomarin a few KM further. Btw there is a steeper-descent into Portomarin. Do not go left when you are presented with the 3 choices.

My suggestions:

1) make sure you take the local, open taxi service numbers with you. Call ahead to make sure they are in operation.

2) Before you walk verify every accommodation, even if you have a reservation… weather can change thing’s quickly in offseason. Do not rely solely on winter lists or guides!

3). Bring sufficient snacks and water for each walk.

4). Correos.com has luggage transfer year round from Sarria to SdC. So you can send your bag ahead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nigel, this will seem a strange comment on a Forum of hikers, walkers and persistent pilgrims, but you do not have to walk to Santiago to make Pilgrimage to Santiago. Those old bones are there for anyone who approaches with respect. If you were to walk from the city boundary to the shrine, or from the Municipal car-park on Rua das Trompas, or from anywhere you can with pilgrimage in your heart then you are a pilgrim.

You've said that it won't be the end-of-the-world if you don't get a "Camino Pass", I guess you mean a Compostella - the certificate awarded by the Pilgrims Office to those who walk at least 100km to Santiago. So be it. Make pilgrimage in your pick-up. Visit those key sites, the cities and their cathedrals, the monasteries, the little village churches, the memorials to the fallen....

"God does not count your steps, nor Santiago weigh your pack. Look to your heart pilgrim for why you pass this Way."

Oh, yes.

Certainly nothing to stop you getting a credencial and picking up stamps from Sevilla onwards !!

¡¡ Buen Camino !!
Thanks. Yes that’s what I’ve chosen. Strangely after my initial post I drove up to Seville, got the passport and started walking to see what I could cope with. 10k I reckon is my actual limit per day from how far I got, so that’s going to need some forward planning!

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It helps so much.

In truth I’ve been on this pilgrimage for over a month now, driving, walking, climbing, solo, meditating, camping out, always with the spirit in my heart. It’s already been life changing and pushed me further than I could ever imagine. Joy, sadness, so many tears, inspiration, connection with nature and communion with God. My heart is already so full.

I think I need to head back to Guillano, north of Seville, and see what little steps I can manage from there.

Wish me luck.

Nigel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
10k I reckon is my actual limit per day from how far I got
Excellent, and I was hoping so. And the Camino does have a way of encouraging us to overcome our existing limitations ...

I walked the Portuguese Camino's coastal route from A Guarda which is mostly flat to Vigo. The rest has more mountains. There is the Spiritual Variant out of Ponteverde along the coast but I haven't taken that yet. Best to your journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back