• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have been living on the Camino for the past 12 months. Here is a collection of some of my favourite photos I took during this 7,000km adventure.

UCDguy

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x8
Portuguese x4
Finesterre and Muxia x2
Norte
Primitivo
Inglés
San Salvador
Madrid
Celtic

I had done several Caminos beforehand and always wished that I didn't have to return home at the end of each one. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from my laptop so I decided that there was no reason why I couldn't "live" on the Camino by walking in the morning and then working while everyone was enjoying their siesta afterwards.

I haven't fully decided if I will stop after I have completed one year (13th August). I'm about to take a short break in the south of Spain to visit some friends and have somehow yet to do the Via de la Plata, so I shall have a think over a few beers in the next few days.

If you have any questions fire away! Buen Camino to all! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Exciting! Thank you for sharing! Did you live in the cheapest albergues like the municipals and so since you did it for a year? Living in hotell rooms for a year would be to expensive for me. December and January seems to be the hardest months to get a bed. Did you do the "not so famous" caminoes like del Norte and so in season and the Camino frances out of season (dec and jan)? Or was this not necessary?

I'm interested to hear on the route(s) walked and time taken to do so. Also, did you walk backwards on any route, and if so, how did that feel?

Budget per day roughly?

I've considered the same ... I wonder did you meet any hospitalero who would 'favour' you perhaps? When Spring arrives would someone let you leave your winter pack until the next time you passed through for example?

Favourite route?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Exciting! Thank you for sharing! Did you live in the cheapest albergues like the municipals and so since you did it for a year? Living in hotell rooms for a year would be to expensive for me. December and January seems to be the hardest months to get a bed. Did you do the "not so famous" caminoes like del Norte and so in season and the Camino frances out of season (dec and jan)? Or was this not necessary?

I typically stayed in the 12-15 euro albergues whenever possible. Of course as you said, this is sometimes not possible on certain routes and at certain times of year so I did have to mix it up with municipals and the occasional hotel!

And you're right, I pretty much only walked the Francés in winter and did other, less-walked routes in other seasons. I did however randomly decide that I also wanted to do the Portuguese coastal route in winter. That was an interesting experience to say the least! :D

I'm interested to hear on the route(s) walked and time taken to do so. Also, did you walk backwards on any route, and if so, how did that feel?

Budget per day roughly?

I've considered the same ... I wonder did you meet any hospitalero who would 'favour' you perhaps? When Spring arrives would someone let you leave your winter pack until the next time you passed through for example?

Favourite route?

People have asked me to recall my routes in the past and I'm absolutely terrible at remembering them accurately, especially in order! But I think I've done three full French Ways, several partial French Ways (typically from Léon), several Portuguese Ways (all from Porto, never done one from Lisbon (yet!)), one North Way, one English Way, one Camino de Madrid, one San Salvador, one Primitivo and one English Way. As you can see, still plenty of routes left to do, including Via de la Plata!

Usually I would try to walk about 30km per day, although I have walked as little at 12km and as much as 71km. I changed strategy in terms of doing my work in the last few months - rather than working in the afternoon, I would take the weekend off from walking and just power through all of my work then so I wouldn't have to worry about having internet and a plug socket while I'm walking. :)

As for walking backwards, I did the Francés backwards for about a week after finishing my first Francés but then stopped because I wasn't enjoying it as much. So now I always get a bus/train/plane to a different Camino when I finish. :)

My budget would be something like 25-30 euro per day.

I've never considered if I could ask a hospitalero for help like that, but I'm sure many would oblige! I instead donated my winter gear to an albergue once winter was over.

I always change my mind about my favourite, but I would say it's either the San Salvador or the French Way (in the off season). But who knows, that may change after my next Camino! :)

I had done several Caminos beforehand and always wished that I didn't have to return home at the end of each one.
Incredible adventure, I am envious and lovely selection of pics and share your impulse to continue walking. I hope you dont mind me asking about the condition of your feet after walking so far. Before I departed on my 2,000 km adventure I used zane hellas repair solution and managed my hotspots with Gehwol. It wasnt until the last 50km to Santiago in both the France and Portuguese that I developed what I believe to be plantar fasciitis on both occasions. The remedy for me at the time was some rest but unwisely attempted to walk with the discomfort. Ive recently been attending an accupuncture treatment in preparation for my return to the France in October. To date Ive had no blisters and its in no small part to wearing one size bigger trail shoes Merrell moab ventillator and two pairs of hiking socks, one light and one medium weight and being in tune with the body, especially the feet. Have you experienced blisters and have you any advice about maintaining the all important camino feet? 🤠

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I had done several Caminos beforehand and always wished that I didn't have to return home at the end of each one. I am fortunate enough to be able to work from my laptop so I decided that there was no reason why I couldn't "live" on the Camino by walking in the morning and then working while everyone was enjoying their siesta afterwards.

I haven't fully decided if I will stop after I have completed one year (13th August). I'm about to take a short break in the south of Spain to visit some friends and have somehow yet to do the Via de la Plata, so I shall have a think over a few beers in the next few days.

Beautiful photos. Looks like you are a skilled photographer to capture such great images.
You have really immersed yourself into the Camino vibe. Did you stop off at the Albergue Verde in Hospital de Órbigo? Or the Albergue de Marcelino in La Faba on the way up to O Cebreiro?
How is your Spanish? Did you speak any Spanish before? I guess you would have learnt quite a bit by now.
Buen Camino - may you enjoy many more

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I may post more questions later ... I daydream about retiring on the Camino.

With a possible future of living alone and waiting for family to visit once a month ... just walking the Camino until I can't anymore holds a lot of appeal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really enjoyed looking through your photos - thank you for sharing. I too have had the joy of walking for a year. There is something really special to be walking when journeys end is so distant that it seems as if there will be no end to it. It is indeed a privilege to have that sort of time to be able to spend on such a journey. You have the ability to work, I had the time to retire!

I trust your journey continues with a surprise around the corner, beautiful views from the top of the mountains, a comfy bed at the end of the day, and good company when you need it. Buen Camino

Great photos and thanks. I want to do the VDLP but will avoid it at all costs until the weather cools down. I have heard from other pilgrims in can be very tough with dangerously high temps, little shade and you have to carry lots and lots of water. Maybe if you haven't done the Norte that would be a fantastic option. I walked the Norte and thought the scenery was beyond beautiful.

Thanks for sharing this marvelous experience.

Do walk VdlP.

If you do, I’d surely follow if you chose the “Live on Camino” option.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.
I understand the pull of the camino, my wife and I have been coming back every year since 2015.
Your photos brought me back to a lot of good memories.

Incredible adventure, I am envious and lovely selection of pics and share your impulse to continue walking. I hope you dont mind me asking about the condition of your feet after walking so far. Before I departed on my 2,000 km adventure I used zane hellas repair solution and managed my hotspots with Gehwol. It wasnt until the last 50km to Santiago in both the France and Portuguese that I developed what I believe to be plantar fasciitis on both occasions. The remedy for me at the time was some rest but unwisely attempted to walk with the discomfort. Ive recently been attending an accupuncture treatment in preparation for my return to the France in October. To date Ive had no blisters and its in no small part to wearing one size bigger trail shoes Merrell moab ventillator and two pairs of hiking socks, one light and one medium weight and being in tune with the body, especially the feet. Have you experienced blisters and have you any advice about maintaining the all important camino feet? 🤠

I've been very fortunate in that I don't have any problems with my feet. I wear cheap shoes I bought in a Chinese bazar and your typical pair of socks and nothing more, sorry I can't be more helpful!

Enjoy your French Way in October! :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Beautiful photos. Looks like you are a skilled photographer to capture such great images.
You have really immersed yourself into the Camino vibe. Did you stop off at the Albergue Verde in Hospital de Órbigo? Or the Albergue de Mercelino in La Faba on the way up to O Cebreiro?
How is your Spanish? Did you speak any Spanish before? I guess you would have learnt quite a bit by now.
Buen Camino - may you enjoy many more

I wish! Those are just the best ones from a much larger group of average at best photos, but I appreciate the compliment! :)

I don't believe I've stayed at either of those albergues. Do you recommend them? I shall have to keep them in mind for my next Francés!

My Spanish is very basic. It would be my fourth language and I am certainly no linguist, but I understand enough to get by! :D

Buen Camino to you too! :)

Thanks for the reply. I may post more questions later ... I daydream about retiring on the Camino.

With a possible future of living alone and waiting for family to visit once a month ... just walking the Camino until I can't anymore holds a lot of appeal.

Please do!

And yes I consider myself very fortunate, if you are ever in the position of also doing it I would highly recommend it! :)

I really enjoyed looking through your photos - thank you for sharing. I too have had the joy of walking for a year. There is something really special to be walking when journeys end is so distant that it seems as if there will be no end to it. It is indeed a privilege to have that sort of time to be able to spend on such a journey. You have the ability to work, I had the time to retire!

I trust your journey continues with a surprise around the corner, beautiful views from the top of the mountains, a comfy bed at the end of the day, and good company when you need it. Buen Camino

It's always nice to hear that other long-term walkers enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

I hope that another Camino is in your future soon, be it short-term or long-term. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great photos and thanks. I want to do the VDLP but will avoid it at all costs until the weather cools down. I have heard from other pilgrims in can be very tough with dangerously high temps, little shade and you have to carry lots and lots of water. Maybe if you haven't done the Norte that would be a fantastic option. I walked the Norte and thought the scenery was beyond beautiful.

Thank you!

And yes I have heard that too! As a pale Irishman the thoughts of high temperatures are quite daunting to say the least which is why I'm trying to wait until at least September. Perhaps I shall see you on it or on another Camino in the near future. :)

Thanks for sharing this marvelous experience.

Do walk VdlP.

If you do, I’d surely follow if you chose the “Liven on Camino” option.

Buen camino.

Thank you! And yes I will try to remain active on the forum if and when I do the VDLP. :)

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.
I understand the pull of the camino, my wife and I have been coming back every year since 2015.
Your photos brought me back to a lot of good memories.

Thank you!

It's great that you get to do it with your wife, I hope to do a Camino with a friend or family member some time in the near future too! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have poor access to wifi right now, ucdguy, but look forward to looking at your photos when I get home to Dublin; maybe you might know the other side of the city, where you need a passport to cross the river???!!!

As a kid, peter pan lived in never never land...
The lesson i learned as a growed up person..
Never ..Never land.
I hope the quality of your journey far exceeds the quantity.
Ps. I shot 5 k at a Rugby 7s match 2 weeks ago...posted about half.shoot away!

I have poor access to wifi right now, ucdguy, but look forward to looking at your photos when I get home to Dublin; maybe you might know the other side of the city, where you need a passport to cross the river???!!!

Thanks, I hope you enjoy them!

Not sure what you are referring to with the passport. Are you making a Brexit joke?! 😄

As a kid, peter pan lived in never never land...
The lesson i learned as a growed up person..
Never ..Never land.
I hope the quality of your journey far exceeds the quantity.
Ps. I shot 5 k at a Rugby 7s match 2 weeks ago...posted about half.shoot away!

That's a good motto to live by!

And congrats with the rugby! I'm looking forward to watching the World Cup in September! :)

I've been very fortunate in that I don't have any problems with my feet. I wear cheap shoes I bought in a Chinese bazar and your typical pair of socks and nothing more, sorry I can't be
I'm not an advocate for cheap shoes, especially on a journey that depends so much on the success of keeping feet healthy. My Donegal gran used to say 'it's important two have two things in life, a good bed and a great pair of shoes because if your not in one your likely to be in the other one'. My Merrell Moab Ventilators cost around £55 and they were an essential part of my kit. I enjoyed looking at your pics but couldn't help notice the feet selfies. Do these feet belong to you?

I'm not an advocate for cheap shoes, especially on a journey that depends so much on the success of keeping feet healthy. My Donegal gran used to say 'it's important two have two things in life, a good bed and a great pair of shoes because if your not in one your likely to be in the other one'. My Merrell Moab Ventilators cost around £55 and they were an essential part of my kit. I enjoyed looking at your pics but couldn't help notice the feet selfies. Do these feet belong to you?

They sure do! I have had no pain in my feet but was wearing shoes for a few weeks that were too small for me and caused my big toes to get a bit bruised as in the pics. But once I found bigger shoes I was fine again! I've used expensive shoes in the past and found no personal difference in terms of comfort, mobility etc., but each to their own! :)

And I hope you didn't tell your Donegal gran about the quality of some of the mattresses on the Camino! 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you!

And yes I have heard that too! As a pale Irishman the thoughts of high temperatures are quite daunting to say the least which is why I'm trying to wait until at least September. Perhaps I shall see you on it or on another Camino in the near future. :)
2 years ago I met a fantastic pale Irishman one evening on the Camino Portuguese. We became lifelong friends of course. Last year after walking the Norte I was having breakfast in Santiago at Hospederia San Martin. (If you haven't stayed there when you get to Santiago I would highly recommend getting a pilgrim room). Looking up, what did I see and who saw me at the same time? That pale Irishman. It was fantastic. He was leaving to go back and we only had about an hour to chat. He had just finished the VDLP. He started about a week before I did. I was on the Norte. He had a slightly stunned look on his face. He is a man who is in fantastic shape, not just for a 60 year old but for almost anyone. He told me because of the intense heat (a man died of the heat in an area of the VDLP just a day after he walked through that area. He said, especially because of the heat and other factors he only said, he had alot to process after his VDLP experience. We have spoken a few times since our meeting. I really want to walk from Sevilla. He made me promise, which wasn't hard to walk either in the spring, which can be very wet I have heard. Or start in late October or even November. The way things are going with climate change, especially on the Iberian Peninsula it seems like the heat is going to be even a greater problem as time goes by. This summer's heat continues to confirm this. So if you have to go in September walk the Norte and maybe consider splitting off to the Primitivo. You will not regret walking the complete Norte or Norte/Primitivo. Good luck my friend. Hope we do meet one day. I will be walking from SJPP starting on October 29th. Personally it is not just the heat of summer but the crowds of people on the CF in peak season. Look forward to a semi-winter walk and the experience of a much quieter and lovely CF. Maybe you will be there if your addiction is not satiated by then. :)

They sure do! I have had no pain in my feet but was wearing shoes for a few weeks that were too small for me and caused my big toes to get a bit bruised as in the pics. But once I found bigger shoes I was fine again! I've used expensive shoes in the past and found no personal difference in terms of comfort, mobility etc., but each to their own! :)

And I hope you didn't tell your Donegal gran about the quality of some of the mattresses on the Camino! 😄
Haha, that explains everything. I was wondering about those healthy looking black toenails 😉. Between half and one size bigger in shoe size is recommended as I understand feet have tendency to swell and toe room needed when on decent. I would recommend a vibram sole or equivalent. I could be wrong but a cheap shoe in my opinion is a false economy, prospective pilgrims reading this need to know value of quality, durable, supportive shoe versus something that is less well made, has potential to add to injury and has questionable ethical production 🤔

My Donegal gran would approve of my nights spent on a noisy waterproof mattress filled with the pilgrims promise of a firm nights sleepless night. After 2 weeks of walking and eratic sleeping it felt like a 5000 sprung mattress with Egyptian cotton sheets 🙏

2 years ago I met a fantastic pale Irishman one evening on the Camino Portuguese. We became lifelong friends of course. Last year after walking the Norte I was having breakfast in Santiago at Hospederia San Martin. (If you haven't stayed there when you get to Santiago I would highly recommend getting a pilgrim room). Looking up, what did I see and who saw me at the same time? That pale Irishman. It was fantastic. He was leaving to go back and we only had about an hour to chat. He had just finished the VDLP. He started about a week before I did. I was on the Norte. He had a slightly stunned look on his face. He is a man who is in fantastic shape, not just for a 60 year old but for almost anyone. He told me because of the intense heat (a man died of the heat in an area of the VDLP just a day after he walked through that area. He said, especially because of the heat and other factors he only said, he had alot to process after his VDLP experience. We have spoken a few times since our meeting. I really want to walk from Sevilla. He made me promise, which wasn't hard to walk either in the spring, which can be very wet I have heard. Or start in late October or even November. The way things are going with climate change, especially on the Iberian Peninsula it seems like the heat is going to be even a greater problem as time goes by. This summer's heat continues to confirm this. So if you have to go in September walk the Norte and maybe consider splitting off to the Primitivo. You will not regret walking the complete Norte or Norte/Primitivo. Good luck my friend. Hope we do meet one day. I will be walking from SJPP starting on October 29th. Personally it is not just the heat of summer but the crowds of people on the CF in peak season. Look forward to a semi-winter walk and the experience of a much quieter and lovely CF. Maybe you will be there if your addiction is not satiated by then. :)

Thank you sharing your wonderful story! And yes, us pale Irishmen must be very wary of the sun!

Hopefully I will get to see you at some point on the Francés in October/November. Buen Camino! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Haha, that explains everything. I was wondering about those healthy looking black toenails 😉. Between half and one size bigger in shoe size is recommended as I understand feet have tendency to swell and toe room needed when on decent. I would recommend a vibram sole or equivalent. I could be wrong but a cheap shoe in my opinion is a false economy, prospective pilgrims reading this need to know value of quality, durable, supportive shoe versus something that is less well made, has potential to add to injury and has questionable ethical production 🤔

My Donegal gran would approve of my nights spent on a noisy waterproof mattress filled with the pilgrims promise of a firm nights sleepless night. After 2 weeks of walking and eratic sleeping it felt like a 5000 sprung mattress with Egyptian cotton sheets 🙏

Oh most definitely! First time pilgrims must be sure to try different shoes to ensure their Camino experience is as pain free as possible. I'm however one of the lucky few who feel just as comfortable walking in sandals as in shoes so soles etc. aren't a big concern for me personally. And with regards to ethics, not all expensive shoes are made ethically and not all inexpensive shoes are made unethically. :p

And your talk of comfy mattresses is making me miss my bed in Ireland! But alas, that is not enough to pull me away from the Camino. :)

Hello, UCDguy, I just finished scrolling thru all your photos and am impressed! May I ask what camera(s) you use? Some formats suggest a smart phone, while others look like they were made with a digital camera ... but as you know, a photographer's favorite friend is the cropping tool. I might have seen you last April-May, since I was also doing the French Way. If so, I wish I'd known your plan, and we could have walked along discussing fun topics (for a photographer!) like colors, lighting & angles, etc. I noticed an almost complete absence of Peregrinos in your photos - which might only point to a preference for scenic shots - but you're likely to be hesitant to shoot especially, women, considering the reports of male harassment on the Camino. My specialties are wildlife & people photography, and have always been careful - even with my wife present - to ask permission of women before doing a close-up. (Plus, your beard is one BIG strike against you...)

People have asked me to recall my routes in the past and I'm absolutely terrible at remembering them accurately, especially in order! But I think I've done three full French Ways, several partial French Ways (typically from Léon), several Portuguese Ways (all from Porto, never done one from Lisbon (yet!)), one North Way, one English Way, one Camino de Madrid, one San Salvador, one Primitivo and one English Way. As you can see, still plenty of routes left to do, including Via de la Plata!

Usually I would try to walk about 30km per day, although I have walked as little at 12km and as much as 71km. I changed strategy in terms of doing my work in the last few months - rather than working in the afternoon, I would take the weekend off from walking and just power through all of my work then so I wouldn't have to worry about having internet and a plug socket while I'm walking. :)

As for walking backwards, I did the Francés backwards for about a week after finishing my first Francés but then stopped because I wasn't enjoying it as much. So now I always get a bus/train/plane to a different Camino when I finish. :)

My budget would be something like 25-30 euro per day.

I've never considered if I could ask a hospitalero for help like that, but I'm sure many would oblige! I instead donated my winter gear to an albergue once winter was over.

I always change my mind about my favourite, but I would say it's either the San Salvador or the French Way (in the off season). But who knows, that may change after my next Camino! :)
Well done peregrino ,it sounds that you really enjoyed doing the camino for a year.Felicidades

Are u native to the land? I want to stay but from the USA, so only 3 months at a time

You are my hero. Absolutely brilliant. I wish I could do the same. Half a year on my bike on the Camino...Sounds like heaven...Have you walked any of French routes? Via Podiensis or Tolosana?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, UCDguy, I just finished scrolling thru all your photos and am impressed! May I ask what camera(s) you use? Some formats suggest a smart phone, while others look like they were made with a digital camera ... but as you know, a photographer's favorite friend is the cropping tool. I might have seen you last April-May, since I was also doing the French Way. If so, I wish I'd known your plan, and we could have walked along discussing fun topics (for a photographer!) like colors, lighting & angles, etc. I noticed an almost complete absence of Peregrinos in your photos - which might only point to a preference for scenic shots - but you're likely to be hesitant to shoot especially, women, considering the reports of male harassment on the Camino. My specialties are wildlife & people photography, and have always been careful - even with my wife present - to ask permission of women before doing a close-up. (Plus, your beard is one BIG strike against you...)

I was originally using a OnePlus 3 for my first few months until it broke and I've been using my cheap backup phone (Moto G5) since then, so anything impressive you see in my photography is purely due to the post-processing software of my less-than-average smartphone camera and certainly not due to any inherent photography skills I may or many not possess, but thank you for the compliment!

And yes, I have taken many photos of pilgrims but chose only to upload my scenic photos on a public forum for obvious privacy reasons. :)

Well done peregrino ,it sounds that you really enjoyed doing the camino for a year.Felicidades

Thank you! And I most definitely have, it has been a life-changing experience. :)

Are u native to the land? I want to stay but from the USA, so only 3 months at a time

I sure am, I'm Irish! There are also plenty of trails I would like to in the USA that are longer than 3 months so I understand your pain. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are my hero. Absolutely brilliant. I wish I could do the same. Half a year on my bike on the Camino...Sounds like heaven...Have you walked any of French routes? Via Podiensis or Tolosana?

I haven't actually, but it's on the to-do list. I think Le Puy will be the first one to tick off! Hopefully you'll find time to do such a long cycle on the Camino in the future. :)

Most of us can only stay 90 days :( Otherwise, a fun adventure!

All you need to do is find a nice Irish man to marry and you no longer need to worry about a 90 day limit. Preferably one who is willing to carry your backpack. :p

But anyway, doing multiple Caminos each year instead of staying on the Camino forever also has its benefits as you get that wonderful "crossing the finish line" feeling each time you arrive in Santiago. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Living and working the dream becoming reality. Lovely journey.

I was originally using a OnePlus 3 for my first few months until it broke and I've been using my cheap backup phone (Moto G5) since then, so anything impressive you see in my photography is purely due to the post-processing software of my less-than-average smartphone camera and certainly not due to any inherent photography skills I may or many not possess, but thank you for the compliment!

And yes, I have taken many photos of pilgrims but chose only to upload my scenic photos on a public forum for obvious privacy reasons. :)

"Good on' ya," as the Aussies say. (I'm from the U.S. Pacific Northwest.) Might do the French Way again, if only to commune with my wife, Desiree's ashes, which I had deposited from St. Jean to the Atlantic this past spring. I'd arrived with the usual four cameras and realized, upon arrival, that I no longer had the will to take pictures. Shipped three to Santiago & kept a point-and-shoot on my belt to record spots where I'd left her ashes. We all have unique reasons for going, and this was reason enough for me. Here are two pictures, btw, that I'd taken two years ago, when we both walked the Camino. We were an extemporaneous comedy team, always primed for fun experiences. (That's Desiree - who was half Italian - thinking of pasta again.) Buen Camino...

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6617.jpeg
    IMG_6617.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
All you need to do is find a nice Irish man to marry and you no longer need to worry about a 90 day limit. Preferably one who is willing to carry your backpack. :p

But anyway, doing multiple Caminos each year instead of staying on the Camino forever also has its benefits as you get that wonderful "crossing the finish line" feeling each time you arrive in Santiago. :)

Well, I'm too old and frazzled to catch a man these days.
But I'll keep my eyes peeled. lol!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi. Lovely photos, you have a good eye, though so different to see so many Camino shots without pilgrims in them.

I am utterly fascinated by this. I visit Camino twice a year and have often wondered .. I am retired (so I get a state pension and don't have to 'work my way' as long as I stay cheap), am single, ancient but pretty healthy, children are coming to be middle aged so independent adults ... and have pondered for a long while about this (maybe not winter :eek:) -

If you have the time, some Q's - why do you walk the equivalent of 'day stages'? If you don't actually have an end point, a destination, but are centred 'there' why aren't you walking just a few kms a day? Is it to keep within the Camino families/comrades you have met or just that you like walking?

and ... you work from home (home being where your hat is) so what equipment do you carry for that? Laptop? Chromebook? Tablet? and what sort of weight is that - therefore, what is your carrying weight and size of backpack? Do you carry all seasons clothing or just pick stuff up as you need it? If your pack/weight is large, are you a big man?

Tell all!!

Last edited:
"Good on' ya," as the Aussies say. (I'm from the U.S. Pacific Northwest.) Might do the French Way again, if only to commune with my wife, Desiree's ashes, which I had deposited from St. Jean to the Atlantic this past spring. I'd arrived with the usual four cameras and realized, upon arrival, that I no longer had the will to take pictures. Shipped three to Santiago & kept a point-and-shoot on my belt to record spots where I'd left her ashes. We all have unique reasons for going, and this was reason enough for me. Here are two pictures, btw, that I'd taken two years ago, when we both walked the Camino. We were an extemporaneous comedy team, always primed for fun experiences. (That's Desiree - who was half Italian - thinking of pasta again.) Buen Camino...

Thank you for sharing your photos and your story, I can tell just from one photo that your wife had a wonderful personality! I am sure the pull of the Camino shall bring you back again, perhaps this time with a more photographic purpose. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. Lovely photos, you have a good eye, though so different to see so many Camino shots without pilgrims in them.

I am utterly fascinated by this. I visit Camino twice a year and have often wondered .. I am retired (so I get a state pension and don't have to 'work my way' as long as I stay cheap), am single, ancient but pretty healthy, children are coming to be middle aged so independent adults ... and have pondered for a long while about this (maybe not winter :eek:) -

If you have the time, some Q's - why do you walk the equivalent of 'day stages'? If you don't actually have an end point, a destination, but are centred 'there' why aren't you walking just a few kms a day? Is it to keep within the Camino families/comrades you have met or just that you like walking?

and ... you work from home (home being where your hat is) so what equipment do you carry for that? Laptop? Chromebook? Tablet? and what sort of weight is that - therefore, what is your carrying weight and size of backpack? Do you carry all seasons clothing or just pick stuff up as you need it? If your pack/weight is large, are you a big man?

Tell all!!

"why do you walk the equivalent of 'day stages'?"
Well the boring reason I have for that is because my favourite thing about the Camino is the walking itself. Not the scenery, not the socialising, not the sense of achievement (although they are all also great), but just the simple act of walking (à la Forrest Gump with his running). So I walk because it's my favourite part of the day!

"what equipment do you carry for that"
I carry my laptop (<2 kg), a mouse, a charger and an extra battery (I sometime like to work on a bench in the picnic areas if it's not too bright). My bag in total I believe weighs something like 12 kg. It can be much less if needed, but I am indeed a big man (1.95m, ~ 6 foot 5) and don't feel it's much extra effort than the <5kg bag I carried on my first few Caminos. :)

Super Nice...Thank You

Beautiful photos!! Such a wonderful experience!

Thank you! And it sure is, I'm very fortunate! :)

Wow, amazing photos and what an experience living on the Camino. Do you have a blog i can read on this. Looking at doing my 1st Camino early next year so any hints I can find reading others experiences are greatly received.
Thank you

chris

Wow, amazing photos and what an experience living on the Camino. Do you have a blog i can read on this. Looking at doing my 1st Camino early next year so any hints I can find reading others experiences are greatly received.
Thank you

chris

No blog unfortunately, I'm surprisingly lazy when I'm not walking/working. 😄

€60,-
No blog unfortunately, I'm surprisingly lazy when I'm not walking/working. 😄
Plus a picture paints a thousand words but I'm not convinced that there's not a book in you 🤠

For those curious, I kept going for ~15 months before I returned home coincidentally just before the pandemic hit.

I do plan on returning to the Camino after I am eventually vaccinated. Current plan is to just do a week-long Camino every month or so rather than stay on it full time, but plans can always change. :)

You can see more photos from my hiking on the Camino and in my home country on my Instagram below and I'll be sure to add more once I'm back in Iberia. :)

https://www.instagram.com/the.irish.pilgrim/

Hope everyone is safe and I look forward to seeing some of you on the trail in the near future. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back