• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I have many questions about the Camino---going in May

paleogirl

Time of past OR future Camino
1) Is it hard to go over the Pyranee mountains?
2) What kind of shoes are best?
3) How much are most of the hostels in US dollars or Euros?
4) How much does the average meal in a restaurant cost along the way?
5) Is it safe to drink from the water fountains? (I read in two books that some are contaminated and the people get sick).
6) Do I need a water proof backpack?
7) Do I need a pillow, yoga mat, blankets?
8) Are there wild dog dangers in that abandoned village, as rumored?
9) What about narrow stretches along the highway where cars turn around the bend and almost hit you---is that a danger? Can I take a cab for those 5 miles?
10) Are the monastaries as bad as the books say (one toilett for 30; snoring; bed bugs)?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3) How much are most of the hostels in US dollars or Euros?
4) How much does the average meal in a restaurant cost along the way?
5) Is it safe to drink from the water fountains? (I read in two books that some are contaminated and the people get sick).
6) Do I need a water proof backpack?
3. Albergues are 5 to 12 Euro per night.
4. A pilgrim menu is 7 to 9 Euro. It includes a first dish, a second dish, dessert, bread, and wine. An omelet or a salad is about 4 Euro.
5. The water is great. Stick to the sources listed as potable.
6. You need protection for your backpack, such as a pack cover or a poncho that covers you and your pack. It may rain a lot.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes you have many questions, and it sounds like you have been doing some reading as well. So now i ask you, "How prepared do you want to be for your Camino?" I am sure you will want to be as prepared as you possibly can! Right? Well i think you can be too prepared , in the sense that every possible eventuality has been thought through, 1000 questions and 10000 answers!
The "Camino is like no other experience, it is like no other walk you will do. You will never really be fully prepared for it, and that is the beauty of it all , it is a mystery and it will challenge you, it will at times test you without a doubt. You cant plan for that, you just have to live each day and plan as you go along.
Trust that all will be well, "The Camino" will take care of you, it will "walk" you, it will answer all your questions and it will happen in such a way that you will soon forget which questions you were asking to begin with!
So dont try and completely know and understand the "Way" before you begin. Yes make your preparations and just have the faith that all will be revealed as your Journey unfolds..
I wish you a Buen Camino :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Paleogirl
Read through the answers here on this page and use the "Has This Question been asked Before" function at the top of the page. But first of all - chill! Last year alone almost 200,000 people arrived in Santiago de Compostela more than 80,000 of them woman. To paraphrase President Obama from several years ago "Yes You Can !!!". Not easy but not that difficult and if you will allow it, the Camino will change your life forever.
S

Most of your questions have been addressed over a hundred times on this forum throughout the years. Do some more reading, make notations, and narrow down your choices. You will soon learn that the bottom line is that whether is hard or not, best hiking shoes, etc...comes down to very personal choices. What does apply overall is that The Camino always provides. If any issue, there will be a resolution.

I plan to start walking from Logroño on May 17th. Send me a PM if you think you will be "in the neighborhood"; I'll be happy to meet up with you and be of help if in any way possible. I speak Spanish fluently and have walked the Camino in the last two years, always in May.

Agree with the above. The forum members here have provided the BEST guide for preparing one could ever ask for. Grab your favorite beverage, start scrolling down, do a quick search above on "key words", and you'll see all your answers and more you haven't thought of yet. There are some incredible videos out there on various sites which can also provide wonderful footage of the walk. This may help you as well.

No matter all the planning and preparing, this will be an incredible journey. Very happy for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
7) Do I need a pillow, yoga mat, blankets?
8 ) Are there wild dog dangers in that abandoned village, as rumored?
9) What about narrow stretches along the highway where cars turn around the bend and almost hit you---is that a danger? Can I take a cab for those 5 miles?
10) Are the monasteries as bad as the books say (one toilet for 30; snoring; bed bugs)?
7. No. I take my inflatable airline pillow, but have been in only two places without pillows. My sleep sack has a pillow pocket for hygiene. You may want to take a pillow case
8. No.
9. I am not sure where that is, but staying on the shoulder will keep you safe. Spanish law requires a high visibility vest when walking on the roadway. It is not enforced, but such a vest is a good idea.
10. Albergues can be as you describe monasteries. I have not encountered such conditions in any monasteries I have visited.

summing up the posts on the forum....

1) Is it hard to go over the Pyranee mountains? for some people
2) What kind of shoes are best? the ones you find most comfortable
3) How much are most of the hostels in US dollars or Euros? varies depending on hostal mostly 5-15€
4) How much does the average meal in a restaurant cost along the way? depense mostly between 5-15€
5) Is it safe to drink from the water fountains? (I read in two books that some are contaminated and the people get sick). not if it says no potable
6) Do I need a water proof backpack? depends on the amount of rain
7) Do I need a pillow, yoga mat, blankets? if you like
8) Are there wild dog dangers in that abandoned village, as rumored? maybe
9) What about narrow stretches along the highway where cars turn around the bend and almost hit you---is that a danger? Can I take a cab for those 5 miles? yes
10) Are the monastaries as bad as the books say (one toilett for 30; snoring; bed bugs)? some, some not

falcon269 said:
9. I am not sure where that is, but staying on the shoulder will keep you safe. Spanish law requires a high visibility vest when walking on the roadway. It is not enforced, but such a vest is a good idea.

That was interesting. Is that a yellow one, like this? :
http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/50200916/

Does it have to be one like that, or will any bright colour do?
They are a bit ugly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is about the color I bought, but did not take yet. I don't know the Spanish specifications. You can see the vest on the back of many Spanish driver's seat. They are there in case they have to get out of the car in an emergency, which might put you in technical of the law if you don't put on the vest. I have seen yellow, orange, and green, all with reflective strips.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back