• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I leave in 9 days. Last minute decisions for an overthinker!

Stephen Tran

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June - July 18th, 2016
Hi everybody! I first posted on this forum last year when I decided I wanted to walk the Camino. When I was about to book my trip, medical issues came up and I was forced to store away my plans. That was May 2015, oh how time passes.

I'm 22 and I'm nervous. This is my first trip out of country alone, and I'm leaving 4 members of my family at home for about 45 days. My mind tries to find the simplest ways to do things, this means that when there's TONS of information on a subject such as exercise, I have 2 options: Get stuck on a tactical way of doing things and giving up later or just become very de-motivated, or wing it and do what feels right. My option for the Camino is the latter, but there's certainly a few things that I can't leave without clarifying. Also I might even overthink somethings, for example:

My ticket says that I will arrive at Madrid-Barajas airport at 7:45AM. I don't know if it means 7:45AM Dallas, TX time (my home) or Madrid time, and so i have yet to pull the trigger on a train ticket.

I will take a Renfe Train to Pamplona, and from Pamplona, a bus to SJPDP. Is this RENFE Train found at the airport? I'm not worried about finding a bus at Pamplona at all.

Any last things I should bring? So far I've packed

Clothes
Phone + Phone charger
Medicine
Wallet
Toothbrush + toothpaste

And that's it. Should I anticipate cold weather and perhaps pack something such as a sweater? Hope you were able to bear through that jumbled mess. Any answers to my questions are extremely appreciated :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My ticket says that I will arrive at Madrid-Barajas airport at 7:45AM. I don't know if it means 7:45AM Dallas, TX time (my home) or Madrid time, and so i have yet to pull the trigger on a train ticket.

It means 7:45 AM Local (Madrid) time.

I will take a Renfe Train to Pamplona, and from Pamplona, a bus to SJPDP. Is this RENFE Train found at the airport?

You should have the name of the station, which is no doubt Atocha station on your ticket. Here's some info about transferring to the train station.

You should also bring a sleeping bag liner or light sleeping bag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Stephen,

At the airport in Madrid there will be an information desk somewhere after you go through the customs and baggage areas. They will speak English and can point you to the easiest way to get to the train station. I took the airport bus to Atocha. It was 5 euros and easy.
And yes - some mornings/evenings will be chilly and you will want something warm - a fleece or jacket. And something for rain.

Buen camino!
Mary Louise

Hi Stephen, welcome back!
Others have tackled the transportation question.

As far as stuff is concerned:
Sleeping bag or sleeping bag liner
Definitely a poncho that also goes over the pack or rainjacket+pack cover (you can get these in Spain if need be)
Fleece is good.
Hat (you can also get this in Spain, cheaply)
basic first aid stuff--and I always have plain old paper tape to tape my feet to prevent blisters. It works brilliantly!
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/an-easy-way-to-prevent-blisters-try-paper-tape/?_r=0
http://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/taping-for-blister-prevention

Don't overdo the clothes--1 change and maybe a nicer shirt/slacks for evening.
And don't worry if you find you need something that you haven't brought. Spain has stores!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Stephen--welcome to this site of exceptional resources of information! I too live in Dallas and did the Camino Frances last year from SJPDD to Burgos and will be returning in mid September to pick up where I left off. Don't over think it too much and enjoy the Camino. You will find a huge family of fellow pilgrims on the Camino who will be there to help at the drop of a hat should you need anything. I look forward to updates perhaps. Buen Camino!

Some 'administrative' details: Photocopy your credit/debit cards, passport i.d. page, itinerary, travel insurance info, and whatever other important documents you are taking. Keep one copy with you but separate from the copied items and leave a copy with someone at home. I also take a printed contact list with important email addresses of my kids, neighbour, housesitter, friend, etc. Also, I register on the Government of Canada website and I take the emergency contact information for the Canadian Embassy in Spain. I don't expect problems and I'm not worried about theft or loss or political problems, but if something did happen then I have the information I need. And don't forget to let your bank and credit card company know when and where you are traveling! And have fun!

Called my credit card company and the voice mail message says that due to their new systems they no longer need you to call to give them a heads up of your trip.

Good trick learned here: take a photo of your contact and emergency contact info with your phone and have that as the background screen of your phone so someone can access the info by just turning your phone on.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everybody! I first posted on this forum last year when I decided I wanted to walk the Camino. When I was about to book my trip, medical issues came up and I was forced to store away my plans. That was May 2015, oh how time passes.

I'm 22 and I'm nervous. This is my first trip out of country alone, and I'm leaving 4 members of my family at home for about 45 days. My mind tries to find the simplest ways to do things, this means that when there's TONS of information on a subject such as exercise, I have 2 options: Get stuck on a tactical way of doing things and giving up later or just become very de-motivated, or wing it and do what feels right. My option for the Camino is the latter, but there's certainly a few things that I can't leave without clarifying. Also I might even overthink somethings, for example:

I will take a Renfe Train to Pamplona, and from Pamplona, a bus to SJPDP. Is this RENFE Train found at the airport? I'm not worried about finding a bus at Pamplona at all.

Clothes
Phone + Phone charger
Medicine
Wallet
Toothbrush + toothpaste

And that's it. Should I anticipate cold weather and perhaps pack something such as a sweater? Hope you were able to bear through that jumbled mess. Any answers to my questions are extremely appreciated :)

Stephen:

Stop thinking and just go. More than likely you are bringing too much but you will sort that out after a few days. On the chance you did not bring something, you will be able to purchase in Spain.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

You need to figure out at which terminal you will arrive.

Most Renfe trains from Madrid to Pamplona leave from Puerta de Atocha. Some leave from Chamartin.

Renfe Cercanias operates a commuter rail line from Airport T4 to Chamartin and Atocha.

Madrid Metro connects both T1T2T3 and T4 to Atocha and Chamartin.

EMT Madrid operates bus 203 Aeropuerto Express from T1T2T3 and T4 to Atocha.

Take taxi from Pamplona Renfe Station to Pamplona Estacion de Autobuses. Take CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Clothes
Phone + Phone charger
Medicine
Wallet
Toothbrush + toothpaste

hey Camino friend relax you will be fine and many friends on the way will always be there to help. I leave in 4 days but not leaving to the 5 of June from Lourdes France, so will be behind you since you are staring in Pamplona...weather should be warm if need be you can purchase things you need on the way. who knows we could catch up , my name is niel. bueno Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Stephen: I just returned frommy first Camino. This forum helped me immensely in preparing for the Camino. I listened carefully to those who went before me and were more experienced, Most of the time their advise was right on - especially about what to take. One thing that took me totally by surprise was how actually HARD it was, physically challenging, day after day to walk 15-20 miles and come in so tired that you can barely wash your clothes, take a shower and eat. Now this will not be the case for you because of your age, but just because you are an over thinker I am letting you know, you might be surprised by "something" - but it will be okay. If you are dedicated to letting the Camino guide you in your unique journey, you will learn and experience what you will need and if you go with the experience and not fight it - it will be a wonderful enriching time of your life.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back