• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I like to watch - but now I want to do it myself (again)

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
The calling from the Camino is strong and strange - those who have walked before know what I mean. I have been watching pictures from the Caminos for several days/weeks now: The forum is set up in such a way that it presents a picture gallery on top. Well, that does it for me: No more pictures and memories; let's get on with the real thing!

Yet another time I will return to the Way, this time to Algarve, get a cheap hostel (www.hostels.com), train to Porto, two days theere (www.booking.com), and walk the Portuguese, just after Easter: Touchdown in Algarve/Faro 20. April, Porto 21 by train, and hitting the road on April 23 after 2 nights in Porto, preparing/breathing in/out, all powers willing.

When in SdC, have a rest and get a room with a wiev to the bell tower of the Cathedral from Jose Ramon in his fruit shop (did you know that getting one of the best places to stay in SdC central, 25 Euros/night single room on the main pedestrian street in SdC central, with all facilities, is by going to a 10m2 fruit shop in Rua Nova? :)) and then on to Finisterre/Muxia.

After that, getting a "buen camino" tattoo on my arm in SdC, taking the Ingles, and then we'll see. Only need to be back home by June 5 for my flight to Creete with "the boss" next day.

And then, this year it will be a full CF in Aug./Sept. with a detour to a Viking princess (being a Norw. that was the least I could do...): The San Olav Camino. A way I walked last year and then wrote a guide about, since none existed! The blessing of retirement... ;)

Hope to see some forum folks on my walk(s) this year.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The calling from the Camino is strong and strange - those who have walked before know what I mean. I have been watching pictures from the Caminos for several days/weeks now: The forum is set up in such a way that it presents a picture gallery on top. Well, that does it for me: No more pictures and memories; let's get on with the real thing!

Yet another time I will return to the Way, this time to Algarve, get a cheap hostel (www.hostels.com), train to Porto, two days theere (www.booking.com), and walk the Portuguese, just after Easter: Touchdown in Algarve/Faro 20. April, Porto 21 by train, and hitting the road on April 23 after 2 nights in Porto, preparing/breathing in/out, all powers willing.

When in SdC, have a rest and get a room with a wiev to the bell tower of the Cathedral from Jose Ramon in his fruit shop (did you know that getting one of the best places to stay in SdC central, 25 Euros/night single room on the main pedestrian street in SdC central, with all facilities, is by going to a 10m2 fruit shop in Rua Nova? :)) and then on to Finisterre/Muxia.

After that, getting a "buen camino" tattoo on my arm in SdC, taking the Ingles, and then we'll see. Only need to be back home by June 5 for my flight to Creete with "the boss" next day.

And then, this year it will be a full CF in Aug./Sept. with a detour to a Viking princess (being a Norw. that was the least I could do...): The San Olav Camino. A way I walked last year and then wrote a guide about, since none existed! The blessing of retirement... ;)

Hope to see some forum folks on my walk(s) this year.

Buen Camino!

Alex - it sounds like you're in for one heck of a year - I hope your feet serve you well!

I agree with the desire to view pictures - along with Camino videos on youtube - it only makes the urge to walk again even greater. For me - I have to wait until my two weeks in September! Best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy.

I hope your feet serve you well!
They will: I have learned. The last years I have never had feet problems. If there is an issue I treat it with Iodine (Betadine in Spanish pharmacies) and pads: Problem over in 2 days max. Compeed is a gift from the Devil...

As for having a terrific time; make sure as a firstimer (not you, @Rhun Leeding ;)) to use your time wisely, and receive what the Camino is offering you...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sir you seem way too young to be retiring! Thank you for Iodine tip Compeed scares me frankly! I am planning my journey to be made when my 92 yr old mother passes... a bitter sweet planning! Have wonderful journeys! Buen Camino

Buen Camino Alex! I can't get back until September and October but look forward to seeing Portugal and Galicia again.

Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sir you seem way too young to be retiring! Thank you for Iodine tip Compeed scares me frankly! I am planning my journey to be made when my 92 yr old mother passes... a bitter sweet planning! Have wonderful journeys! Buen Camino
I love using compeed on hot spots. Never got a full blown blister and marveled at the way it doesn't loosen up and come off in the shower! What's wrong with it in your experience?

I love using compeed on hot spots. Never got a full blown blister and marveled at the way it doesn't loosen up and come off in the shower! What's wrong with it in your experience?
It's closing in the problem; not healing it. According to a Spanish doctor & my experience. For protecting hotspots it does the job.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino Alex!
Enjoy the beautiful San Olav...and maybe this year make that loop from Covarrubias to Santo Domingo de Silos and back--out on the Lana, back on the GR82. You won't regret it!
I will indeed! Now that I have friends on that route, finding my way and get some help/advice is preoblem-free :) Not to mention yours and others last year! :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino, both!
@alexwalker, my favorite Camino photo of all was taken above SDdS on the way to Covarrubias, on that GR. Or rather, on an unintentional side track. At the time I had an incorrect idea about where I was but was very happy to find the viewpoint anyway. It was stunning.
You get there by following the GR82 out of SDdS, going uphill until the two track veers right and down over the ridge, past the Sad Hill Hollywood set and eventually into Contreras (which you can see in the middle distance at the bottom of a ridge). So when you get to the place on the ridge where the two track veers right, instead of going downhill, go straight ahead. The track dead-ends at this viewpoint and if you're only going back to Covarrubias that day, you can take your time to soak it in! (I went on to to Mambrillas and it was a bear of a day, I think about 34 or 35 kms because of 2 unintentional detours.)
View media item 4869

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.