A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Lost I lost 900€ after Puente de la Reina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fecepa

Camino(s) past & future
April 2019 - no conpleted
Hello.

Friends, today, April 15, I lost a small plastic bag in Cirauqui (or 5 km after Cirauqui), because there was the last time I used my money. There was 900€. I had to give up to do the Camino.

Please, if you find my cash, let me know.

Best regards

NorthernLight

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
I'm guessing you were at the little bar before the medieval bridge between Cirauqui and Lorca? Can you walk back? Find a phone number for the place? Maybe you'll get lucky.

Camino Chris

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
So sorry about this huge loss for you! Maybe someone will have turned it in. I'd go back and ask around before you go home and give up.
This gives me an extra precaution to use. I will now include my name, phone# and address in my little cash bag, in case it gets lost or left behind. It may guilt the finder into trying to return it instead if assuming there is no way and keeping the money without any guilt

Last edited:

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgo (2019), SJPdP (2023?).
I have what American would call a fanny pack and Australians (of which I am one) a bumbag it is tied tight around my middle 24/7 and is shoved under my trousers and below my belt unless I'm having a shower and then it's in the shower cubicle with me.

Debit cards are in there along with most of the cash I carry (I put around 30 Euros into my pocket first thing every morning as that's about what I spend on an expensive day) and any other vital bits of paper I need like passports (I have 2) go in there as well. Use it on all my travels wherever I go.

Camino Chris

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I have what American would call a fanny pack and Australians (of which I am one) a bumbag it is tied tight around my middle 24/7 and is shoved under my trousers and below my belt unless I'm having a shower and then it's in the shower cubicle with me.

Debit cards are in there along with most of the cash I carry (I put around 30 Euros into my pocket first thing every morning as that's about what I spend on an expensive day) and any other vital bits of paper I need like passports (I have 2) go in there as well. Use it on all my travels wherever I go.
Your post could have been written by me! Ditto to everything you've said!

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi Fecepa,

first empty your backpack carefully and look if you have not by mistake put your money in the wrong place. This happened to my mum quite often. If you can not find it, walk back and ask every pilgrim you encounter, if he has seen something. Look carefully. May-be you are lucky and a honest person has found it.
If you can not find your money anymore, you may still find someone who will help you out for the next days.
Having additional money wired from home should be cheaper than cancelling the whole camino (e. g. you have to arrange new transportation, return flight etc.). You could also try to continue your camino by offering help (sleep in an albergue and food in excange for cleaning the bath-room e. g.).

BC
Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
On my Camino last year, my wallet was lifted in Barcelona just as I was starting out and I can quite clearly recall the shock. It took 3-4 days to get everything sorted out, and I was able to continue, but I have much sympathy for your situation. Others have suggested practical possibilities. I hope it works out for you.

Fecepa

Camino(s) past & future
I walked back to panderia/bakery in Cirauqui, but they didn't find it. I asked the piligrims, and I did the Camino (Cirauqui-5 km after) again to search, but nothing till now.

My email is (personal data removed by Moderator in accordance with forum policy)
Thanks for helping me.
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
I walked back to panderia/bakery in Cirauqui, but they didn't find it. I asked the piligrims, and I did the Camino (Cirauqui-5 km after) again to search, but nothing till now.

My email is
Thanks for helping me.
Best regards
I am so very sorry for you. I understand your immediate reaction, stop, go home. Wait. A previous post suggests you ask someone at home to send you some money. Is that possible? If it is, try to organise it. You can pay it back slowly. Don't give up. It has happened. Now, what will you do with the fact? Don't give up.

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgo (2019), SJPdP (2023?).
My bag.

Image 1 shows that there is a waterproof bottom section that can be isolated from the top section in the main bag.

Image 2 shows a cover for all the straps that zips closed so you can place it into an aircraft without all the straps being exposed and getting tangled.

Image 3 shows an attached small day pack for when you don't want to carry your main bag with all your stuff in it. Great when sending your bag forward or you need something small for exploring locally.

Image 4 shows strong handles at the top and sides of the bag so you can select how to carry it when its all closed up. From the top or the side for different situations. Mostly I carry it using the side strap as its more like a suitcase and easier to carry than the top strap which means I have to hold it high off the floor and that's uncomfortable.

I have been using this bag for about 8 years or so and I've never had a problem with it and it's the best pack I've ever used. All very well stitched, strong, and no hard bits at all. Love it forever.

PS Please excuse my foot as I needed it to hold bits of the bag open so I could show the different bits and pieces.

Attachments

david1

Camino(s) past & future
Paris to Santiago de Compostela
Hello.

Friends, today, April 15, I lost a small plastic bag in Cirauqui (or 5 km after Cirauqui), because there was the last time I used my money. There was 900€. I had to give up to do the Camino.

Best regards
I'm a day behind you, and am letting people know.

Camino(s) past & future
CF June 2015
CP June 2017
Del Norte, Finisterre / Muxia Oct 2017
VDLP 2018
VF, SBP to Rome 2019
I have set up a GoFundMe page, but I am concerned about a few things.
1- I have set it up on behalf of the community in this forum, hope this is ok with every one.
2- Will @Fecepa hang around long enough to receive the donations?
3- I emailed fecepa at 8:30 am Los Angeles time, and asked for more info, he/she has not responded yet.
4- Will this open up an opportunity for individuals to fake emergencies on the Camino?
5- Will this be ok with the moderator?
6- This is my first GoFundMe attempt and still don't know how this campaign will wrap up and how long it would take, so please be friendly.
Please chime in.

Fecepa

Camino(s) past & future
Hello. Sorry to didn't answer any email till now. Today I was looking for a ticket to see a friend and trying to understand why some bad things happen to me , and how my life is blessed (health, family, job, friends, etc).

I read about a internet funding and I have to say that I can not accept, mainly because I am coming back to my country, and because
there must be someone in the world who needs this help more than I.
Thanks for the idea and good vibrations.
Best regards

I have set up a GoFundMe page, but I am concerned about a few things.
1- I have set it up on behalf of the community in this forum, hope this is ok with every one.
2- Will @Fecepa hang around long enough to receive the donations?
3- I emailed fecepa at 8:30 am Los Angeles time, and asked for more info, he/she has not responded yet.
4- Will this open up an opportunity for individuals to fake emergencies on the Camino?
5- Will this be ok with the moderator?
6- This is my first GoFundMe attempt and still don't know how this campaign will wrap up and how long it would take, so please be friendly.
Please chime in.

Camino(s) past & future
CF June 2015
CP June 2017
VDLP 2018
VF, SBP to Rome 2019
Hello. Sorry to didn't answer any email till now. Today I was looking for a ticket to see a friend and trying to understand why some bad things happen to me , and how my life is blessed (health, family, job, friends, etc).

I read about a internet funding and I have to say that I can not accept, mainly because I am coming back to my country, and because
Best regards
I am glad you came to a conclusion with the ordeal, and an inspiring one at that.
Hope you can come back and finish the Camino soon.
Good luck,

Camino(s) past & future
CF June 2015
CP June 2017
VDLP 2018
VF, SBP to Rome 2019

Best regards
I have not shared the GoFundMe page yet, I will withdraw it now.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)

Best regards
That is very noble of you, @Fecepa. Something good will come of this. Just wait. 😊

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
Camino PdC 2018 Finisterre Muxía 2018
C Franconia 2019
Camino desde Algeciras Sevillia (2019)
Here is an idea for you Fe. Coming from Brazil you may have a citizen status in Portugal. If you are a European citizen you could work as an hospitalero on the Camino. So the Camino comes to you and this can turn into something good.

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
C Franconia 2019
My bag.

Image 1 shows that there is a waterproof bottom section that can be isolated from the top section in the main bag.

Image 2 shows a cover for all the straps that zips closed so you can place it into an aircraft without all the straps being exposed and getting tangled.

Image 3 shows an attached small day pack for when you don't want to carry your main bag with all your stuff in it. Great when sending your bag forward or you need something small for exploring locally.

Image 4 shows strong handles at the top and sides of the bag so you can select how to carry it when its all closed up. From the top or the side for different situations. Mostly I carry it using the side strap as its more like a suitcase and easier to carry than the top strap which means I have to hold it high off the floor and that's uncomfortable.

I have been using this bag for about 8 years or so and I've never had a problem with it and it's the best pack I've ever used. All very well stitched, strong, and no hard bits at all. Love it forever.

PS Please excuse my foot as I needed it to hold bits of the bag open so I could show the different bits and pieces.
Just wondering are you a math teacher?

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I think that the easiest way to get money to @Fecepa is through PayPal. All that you need is an email address to send it to.

SSojourn

Camino(s) past & future
2019 Plan walk solo in April. SJP to St. James, Santiago
Hello.

Best regards
I will pray for some one to find and contact you. I am sorry this has happened.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)

Best regards
Fecepa, you are indeed blessed.

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017

Best regards
Fecepa, you will have the opportunity to help some who needs it more later. Accept the help and pay it forward.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2012, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011
I do admire the generosity of spirit that forum members show to their fellows in time of need. However, now that this thread has turned from expressing sympathy, offering advice and non-financial help to offering money, I do hope that individuals who do that have satisfied themselves about the bona fides of @Fecepa.

The circumstances of a just joined member telling us about a personal disaster are not new, but normally it does not move quite so quickly to providing financial assistance.

I raise this not because I want to believe this is anything but a genuine cry for help, but because I don't think anything that has been revealed so far is sufficient to distinguish this from some of the more common stranded traveller scams.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2012, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011
This thread has now been merged with a different thread and when this happens it often makes things a bit confusing. If you scroll back you can see that someone had followed appeals by someone else keen to help and had started already a GoFundMe page and that @Fecepa politely declined financial help and therefore the GoFundMe page will not go life. I quote @Fecepa in what is now message #24 of this thread: "I have to say that I can not accept, mainly because I am coming back to my country, and because there must be someone in the world who needs this help more than I."

Buen camino, @Fecepa, where ever your path will lead you.
I was aware of this when I wrote my post, and factored it into my own considerations about whether or not this might have been sufficient to establish the individual's bona fides. It did not satisfy me as being sufficient in all the circumstances. Others are at liberty to interpret this differently.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way + voie de Tours + CF + Gulf of Biscay + English Channel)
I was aware of this when I wrote my post, and factored it into my own considerations about whether or not this might have been sufficient to establish the individual's bona fides. It did not satisfy me as being sufficient in all the circumstances. Others are at liberty to interpret this differently.
True. But I think it is worth pointing out that @Fecepa himself just asked for help with looking for his lost money. Nothing more.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
But surely a scam artist would not decline the money?

I do take your point on being careful though.

Davey

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
@Fecepa, first, I'm sorry you have had to deal with this. I have no idea who you really are, what your religion is (or is not) or, what you know or do not know about Camino. Plain and simple, have you considered the very unique and humbling experience of trying to continue on this Camino, relying solely on the kindness of other's as you go? Do you know that the majority of people who live along the Camino, count it as a blessing to help a Peregrino in need? You have the opportunity right now for an incredible experience, that can lead to something amazing happening in your life! I believe that all things can work together for good. I'm praying for you. :)

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
It's clearly complex. Many things point to an honest intent, and it would be good to be able to confirm that.
Well, my guts tells me it's a GO. But unfortunatelly I'm not able to help. All I can do is to wish @Fecepa all the luck!

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Camino(s) past & future
Just wondering are you a math teacher?
Bachelors in Chemistry but didn't like it as a job so did a Bachelors in Business and liked the work I did with it so went to the US to do a Masters of Science in Management at Krannert Grad Sch of Mgmt in West Lafayette, Indiana and enjoyed that even more so did a PhD back home in Australia in Genetic Algorithms (Monash University).

I get it's all sorta mathematics in nature but never been a maths teacher. Was a Snr Lecturer back in Oz but left after a couple of years - too boring to be honest.

Last edited:

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
C Franconia 2019
Bachelors in Chemistry but didn't like it as a job so did a Bachelors in Business and liked the work I did with it so went to the US to do a Masters of Science in Management at Krannert Grad Sch of Mgmt in West Lafayette, Indiana and enjoyed that even more so did a PhD back home in Australia in Genetic Algorithms (Monash University).

I get it's all sorta mathematics in nature but never been a teacher in the maths. Was a Snr Lecturer back in Oz but left after a couple of years - too boring to be honest.
I thought there was a method to your doing. Thank you for all the good advice.

Delphinoula

Camino(s) past & future
C Franconia 2019
I am not saying anything about Fe intentions.
Only Con artist are called artists for a reason, they know very fast what we need and exploit this to their advantage.
Now in bible there is section of good deeds and where you should accumulate the rewards. So in giving with selfless intentions will always reward you con or no con.
But don’t lead others into temptation either.
As a rule I share my time my expertise and my bread, because even a thief feels hunger.
When it comes to cash I am careful. I work hard for my money and am very frugal with myself so I can give when needed.
Again I am not saying Fe is anything of that sort.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way + voie de Tours + CF + Gulf of Biscay + English Channel)
The "fault" for lack of a better word does not lie with the poster. It lies with forum members who rushed to set up a financial rescue operation only two hours after the initial post (I lost money, can anyone help with finding it) and without the poster asking for donations.

Nobody stopped to ask why the poster wants to give up on walking, whether he's got a credit card, money in the bank, savings, knows about Western Union, can borrow from friends and family ... the urge to help is just overwhelming, I guess 😊.

Last edited:

Fecepa

Camino(s) past & future
Friends, it's been 5 days since my wife suffered contractions in pregnancy. It's the fifth month.After the loss of my money, I thought it was enough for now and that I could start the Camino another time.
Obviously, if someone finds me and gives me back the lost money, I will return to Camino more easily in the future.
Best regards
Fernando

stuartwalker121

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017 September - October) Camino Norte (2018 September - October)
Hello.

Best regards
So sorry Fecepa

It’s a big blow

900 is a awful lot to carry with you at one time especially as cash machines are ubiquitous in all the big towns

I hope something turns up for you and that you don’t cancel your Camino !!

I try and budget for 600-(750 max) on a 30 day Camino trip
And only hold 200 euros in 20s at any one time on me in cash

I put the 20 for the day’s journey into the red plastic wallet with my credential
And the rest goes safely in my backpack in an inside place where it will never be disturbed unless I know and I am fully aware that I am disturbing it

It’s a set-back for sure to lose all this money

But I encourage you to keep going and see what happens

The Camino sometimes provides!!

I try and budget 20/euroes a day
10 Albergue
10 food
I cook my own food in the kitchens

I have met a few pilgrims walking who were practically off-grid and managing their Camino with next to no money

It could happen to anyone to lose moneyand I feel for you
But keep going and don’t get downhearted

Good luck

Spooky

Pipmahoe

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2018
Central Portuguese April 2019 8 weeks post hip replacement!
What a horrible thing to happen to you, I feel very sad for your situation. Did you take out holiday insurance/does it cover you for losing money?
I wish you all the best😄🙏

zzotte

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Camino Frances, 2014 Lourdes to SDC, 2016 Camino del Norte
Hello.

Best regards
Really? On the Camino some people take anything that not nail down, a sad thing but true, ask the people that lost boots, walking sticks etc etc etc imagine cash sorry about your loss

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
Really? On the Camino some people take anything that not nail down, a sad thing but true, ask the people that lost boots, walking sticks etc etc etc imagine cash sorry about your loss
I don't think it was stolen, he lost it. It may have been found and not handed in though!

Davey

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
I will categorically say this is untrue and it is a false and malicious posting.

ReDDD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2015
Camino Portugues 2015
I'm so sorry to hear that Fecepa. I myself lost a wallet with cash and credit cards in it few years ago on the Camino. Fortunately with help of this forum, I found it back the next day. I do wish all the best for you! Good luck.

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
Hello.

Best regards
Hi Fecepa
This is terrible. You must be feeling such sadness and frustration. To lose money in any situation is bad enough, but on your Camino is especially bad when you have to give up. People will have a lot of good advice for you now. With hindsight its easy. But please, learn from this, and remember the good times and experience you must have had until now, the good people you will have met along your way, and remember that your Camino is still there, will always be there, and you can return when the time is right for you. I hope you find the money, and if not - there may be a blessing in the experience somewhere for you, although right now that may be hard to see or understand. Take care and good luck. Keith

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Burgos-SdC (May-June 2016); CF, SJPDP-SdC (April-June 2018); Norte (June-July 2019)
Fernando, I’m very sorry to hear about the difficulties with your wife’s pregnancy. Of course that is more worrying than the loss of your funds. I send you and your wife all the best for a safe pregnancy and a happy delivery.
And of course, Buen future caminos!

Tony Calhoun

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Hello.

Best regards
Fecepa, check your email for a note from tonycalhoun48@gmail. From my wife and I.

mike mcbroom

Camino(s) past & future
Francis June 17, 2015 ,Portagusee from Porto to Santiago August 2016, Francis may 2018 this year wil

My email is
i lost an expesive set of hearing aids last year. I am certain i left them on the night stand in the hotel. Walked all.the way back, nobidy knew anything!

Mike1

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
6 Camino 2013 to 2018
Surely this is one of the reasons you must take out good travel insurance,for eventualities like this, then you can claim your money back from the insurance company, after reporting it to the police. But really carrying E900 in the age of credit cards is not a good idea.

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Camino(s) past & future
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
Good vibra and support here. But, @Fecepa has called the police station in that area yet?

Many times people find money and leave it there, with the police.

Buen Camino Everyone

I have a great and useful 4 in 1multipack from US company Zpacks, it is a bumbag ,or chest pack ,shoulder pack and pack lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 245 25.0%