• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I lost my Compostela - Can I get another copy?

Schmutdo

Time of past OR future Camino
I'll be walking the Camino on July 11th of 2019!
Hey all,

I hope you're doing well. I finished my Camino last year and I guess at some point during my trip back to America I lost my Compostela.

Is there any way that I can get a new copy either mailed or emailed to me?

I have pictures of my trip and even a picture of the Compostela as well. I have all my albergue stamps as well as the date when I completed it.

I know people say the paper shouldn't be important, but it's important to me so I hope to get another. If it isn't possible I understand.

Thank you all for your help

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was able to acquire a new copy of my first compostela, but I have to tell you that I tried twice (by email and by ground mail) before I gave up on that method because the office is generally overwhelmed.

On my second camino I took my credenciale from my first trip, explained how I had been separated from my first compostela… they looked me up in the system and printed out a new one.

If you are not able to go back, but have a friend making the trip, you might ask if they could take your credenciale to the office and get you a new copy.

If you do not know anyone making the trip, and if you would be comfortable doing it, you can mail your credenciale and details of your person and your trip to me when I head back in 2022. I am not yet certain where I will be at that time. I leave for Spain January 1 and will be there for several months, seeking a retirement location.

I don’t know if anyone else has thoughts…
@t2andreo ?? Maybe?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was able to acquire a new copy of my first compostela, but I have to tell you that I tried twice (by email and by ground mail) before I gave up on that method because the office is generally overwhelmed.

On my second camino I took my credenciale from my first trip, explained how I had been separated from my first compostela… they looked me up in the system and printed out a new one.

If you are not able to go back, but have a friend making the trip, you might ask if they could take your credenciale to the office and get you a new copy.

If you do not know anyone making the trip, and if you would be comfortable doing it, you can mail your credenciale and details of your person and your trip to me when I head back in 2022. I am not yet certain where I will be at that time. I leave for Spain January 1 and will be there for several months, seeking a retirement location.

I don’t know if anyone else has thoughts…
@t2andreo ?? Maybe?
My first CF was also in 2014. We all understand how important the first Compostela is. I have volunteered in the pilgrim office several times. The policy was that the owner of the credential had to present it. Groups were handled differently. Exceptions are always possible but I would recommend taking your credential back personally and explaining your situation.
Buen Camino

Good luck with your quest to get another copy of your Compostela. I know that folks say the paper shouldn’t count but it does hold a special spot in the walkers journey. I hiked both the Camino Frances and the Via Francigena in Italy. I lost both of my fully stamped passports, during a move. They are not replaceable. They were very special to me and it is upsetting. At least I have my photos and memories.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back