• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I love this, it is so true

CaptBuddy

Time of past OR future Camino
Fall 2012, again Fall 2014.
I'm incredibly fortunate to have family and friends in Spain, and I think this is a perfect description.

12 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A NORMAL FRIEND AND A SPANISH FRIEND

A normal friend shakes hands with you when he sees you…
A Spanish friend kisses you and the people that accompany you on both cheeks, even if he doesn’t know them.

A normal friend gets upset if you are late…
A Spanish friend never finds out, because he is always later than you.

A normal friend puts music on when he has a party at his house…
A Spanish friend always has a guitar for party guests to play music.

A normal friend tries to talk to you in English…
A Spanish friend obliges you to learn Spanish by talking to you slower and louder.

If you have lunch with a normal friend, you know you will leave after the dessert.
If you have lunch with a Spanish friend, you know it’s very possible you’ll end up having dinner together.

When a normal friend invites you over for dinner, he makes all kinds of efforts to impress you…
A Spanish friend knows you only need potatoes and eggs for your dinner to be perfect.

A normal friend says he can’t meet you during the week because he has a lot of work…
A Spanish friend runs from his office as soon as he can to have a drink with you.

A normal friend asks you to “keep it down” when you’re in a public place…
A Spanish friend yells that he can’t hear you.

A normal friend never forgets the plans you’ve made…
A Spanish friend completely forgets them, but then improvises something better in a matter of seconds.

A normal friend proposes you spend New Year’s together in a foreign country…
A Spanish friend invites you over to spend New Year’s so you can eat 12 grapes.

A normal friend goes out with you until 2am…
A Spanish friend calls that outing “tomar algo” (to have a drink); going out means coming back at 6am. At the earliest.

A normal friend eats because he is hungry…
A Spanish friend eats (and drinks, and drinks coffee), as an excuse to be with his family and his friends.

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/12-differences-normal-friend-spanish-friend/?single=1

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm Spanish and I feel this is so true for the good and for the bad!
Yes we are very friendly people....!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm incredibly fortunate to have family and friends in Spain, and I think this is a perfect description.

12 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A NORMAL FRIEND AND A SPANISH FRIEND
A Spanish friend kisses you and the people that accompany you on both cheeks, even if he doesn’t know them.
A Spanish friend always has a guitar
A Spanish friend knows you only need potatoes and eggs for your dinner to be perfect

http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/12-differences-normal-friend-spanish-friend/?single=1

Oh, I beg to differ on these three points. 1. In deed, an American friend may shake your hand, ot give you one of those awkward "I'm hugging you but dont' really want to" hugs. Most everywhere else it's a kiss on the cheek, or two, or three, or four, depending on where you are. 2. Isn't that a bit a of cliche, just as if all of Spain dances flamenco? I prefer the gaita. As for potatos and eggs, nooooooo, try the 7 course meal at lunch time. Dinner perhaps, but that's because you were served the 7 course meal at lunch time. If you are ever invited to a Spaniard's house for a meal, fast the day before!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps it should say "Some friends ...." .

I loved reading this post.
I have tried to imagine the Camino transplanted into my own country and know that the experience would never be the same.

How sad :( I don't have enough Spanish friends :)

Zzotte

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I became friends with a Spanish Pilgrim and have stayed at her home, been introduced to relatives who stayed an extra day just to meet an English pilgrim that believes in miracles and also been taken out on the two occasions when I came to Madrid. That is generosity personified! Even better we seem to have the same sense of humour, They are very special and I can't wait to go back next year on the Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back