• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I made it....

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino March and April 2018
I began my journey on 11th March 2018 at SJPP, one year to the day that my husband of 40 years died, and I arrived in Santiago on 23rd of April. The Camino worked its magic and although until Sarria I had appalling weather, (snow, rain,fog and wind) I enjoyed every step of the Way. I was met with nothing but kindness, and at each step of the Way I lay another part of my burden to rest. At the Pilgrim’s office they added my husband’s name to my Compostela which means an awful lot to me. At the beginning if my walk I felt he was just behind me, then I felt him by my side, and toward the end he was ahead of me, as if to tell me it was time to let him go..... I shall never forget this journey or the people I met along the way. Thank you to all fellow Pilgrims and those that had trod this way before me and indeed those that will come after me. Buen Camino and peace be with you x x x

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I began my journey on 11th March 2018 at SJPP, one year to the day that my husband of 40 years died, and I arrived in Santiago on 23rd of April. The Camino worked its magic and although until Sarria I had appalling weather, (snow, rain,fog and wind) I enjoyed every step of the Way. I was met with nothing but kindness, and at each step of the Way I lay another part of my burden to rest. At the Pilgrim’s office they added my husband’s name to my Compostela which means an awful lot to me. At the beginning if my walk I felt he was just behind me, then I felt him by my side, and toward the end he was ahead of me, as if to tell me it was time to let him go..... I shall never forget this journey or the people I met along the way. Thank you to all fellow Pilgrims and those that had trod this way before me and indeed those that will come after me. Buen Camino and peace be with you x x x
Susan, your message is so very beautiful. You may have let him go, but he will never be gone from you because of that. I am just so moved by your words, thank you for writing them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Congratulations Susan he no doubt would have been very proud of you. I embark mine tomorrow. X

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

God bless you and your husband. The Camino magic is real.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good for you Susan, well done indeed. You should quite rightly be proud of yourself as I am sure he is.
Thank you so much. I knew when I joined the forum that I was joining a huge loving family. I’m still in Santiago as it’s my husband’s birthday tomorrow and I wanted to spend it here, watching the Pilgrims come home......

Susan, your message is so very beautiful. You may have let him go, but he will never be gone from you because of that. I am just so moved by your words, thank you for writing them.
Thank you for writing, on The Way I saw a plaque that said “Why cry for a soul set free”, this really resonated with me, my husband had Parkinson’s and for many years his body became alien to him, he eventually couldn’t walk, and had difficulty talking. That little plaque made me feel happy for him, his body no longer bounds him, he is free x x x

No he will never be gone from my heart. The children were afraid that I wouldn’t find what I was looking for. As it turned out, I didn’t have to look, Peace and love came to me, I waked quite a lot of the Way on my own but I was actually never alone x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations Susan he no doubt would have been very proud of you. I embark mine tomorrow. X
Tomorrow is my husband’s birthday and I am staying in Santiago and leaving for home on Monday. I pray that your Pilgrimage will bring you joy and peace as you step out into the unknown, never quite knowing what is around the corner, but having the faith that it is good. X

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
God bless you and your husband. The Camino magic is real.
Oh yes, very real indeed, and it throws things your way when you least expect it; once in the middle of nowhere I suddenly heard a musician playing one of my husband’s favourite pieces of music, and I almost wept with joy.... x

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That is one of the most genuinely moving posts I have ever read. I take my hat off to you. Have a wonderful life - you clearly deserve it.
Thank you so much for your message. The Camino was a great friend to me when I most needed a friend, my fellow Pilgrims were my rock. I will continue my pilgrimage for the rest of my life, my heart has been bathed in kindness and love. I set out with faith but also with many anxieties, now “I consider the lilies of the field” ........

.....moving, yet inspirational....thank you Susan....wishing you a long, peaceful and contended life....

Susan, I have just read back through all your posts. I hadn't realised that you were 70, which is even older than I am! And you have had to endure the coldest and wettest Spring Spain has had in years, walking alone. What an achievement!
Your husband was a lucky man the day he found you.
I not only take off my hat, I bow low in admiration.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Susan,
Without a trace of condescension can I just say how proud I am of you!!!! Your age, your grief, your courage and your grace are an inspiration to us all. I hope you can carry the peace that you have found with you moving forward. All the "firsts" are SO difficult. Your husband is watching down on you now as you travel home counting his heavenly stars for the blessing of having you by his side for forty years.

Beautiful, Susan. Just so beautiful.
You couldn't have chosen a better tribute. Now you will live what you learned and received from the Camino at home - and it will be a gift for others.
Ultreia!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I loved this touching, heartfelt post from you Susan. Congratulations on this journey, may it continue...Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back