• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I may be wrong but?

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Walked into Riego del Camino and called in Bar Pepe for a drink, with the intention of pressing on to Granja.
The lady in the bar was most insistent that Granja was " completo" and I should stay in Riego
It became apparent that the only source of food and drink was "Bar Pepe" which to put it bluntly is dirty!
There are reports of a shop but the hospitalario said "tienda no"
The albergue itself is old but clean, there are NO cooking facilities at all.
I wonder? Is this a common occurrence?
On reflection I think I should have pressed on
Regards
George

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Finding patrons one at a time through means fair or foul is common! Personally, I would never pass up the opportunity to not walk another 6.5km, but then I am very lazy. When you pass through Granja, you can see how full it looks. It does not have a kitchen either, and you would trade your donativo for a 5E fixed charge. Granja has a bar and restaurant; maybe one of them would have been clean!

Buen camino.

upload_2015-5-12_10-12-43.png

Hi Falcon.
Couple of things,
When I said dirty believe me, even the mice had overalls on!
Diego isn't donatovo any more.
I'm not without some Camino experience, and to my recollection most Spanish people I have spoken to have been helpful and honest
Regards
George

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
to my recollection most Spanish people I have spoken to have been helpful and honest
They are. They also like commerce and company.

It is good to know another donativo has disappeared. Most juntos cannot afford the expense of donativo.
When I said dirty believe me, even the mice had overalls on!
If you have the opportunity, give the Albergue Os in Boente after Melide a look. It is the only place in hundreds of albergues that I ever checked into, then I left a short time later! Next door now is one of the great places in that stretch.

Will do, should I bother to take my rucksack off?
Regards
George

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked into Diego del Camino and called in Bar Pepe for a drink, with the intention of pressing on to Granja.
The lady in the bar was most insistent that Granja was " completo" and I should stay in Riego
It became apparent that the only source of food and drink was "Bar Pepe" which to put it bluntly is dirty!
Regards
George

Hi, George, I am assuming you mean Riego del Camino, no? The bar Pepe is filthy, I agree, but I survived a meal there. The woman had a sad story and I did feel sorry for her. I wonder if the shop has closed -- surely the hospitalera would know, because it´s the mayor of the town, at least it was! When I was there two years ago, it was inside a house with no notifying sign, you just had to know where it was and knock. So if it´s now closed, it´s important for people to know that, because that Bar Pepe was something else.

I have stayed in Granja de Moreruela in a casa rural that was very nice, and the albergue was full, so it could have been true. Not sure how the lady in the bar would have known that, though. Hope all is going well, other than the occasional run-in with filth. The albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is fabulous! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi George,

I've stayed in Riego del Camino twice (yes, yes, I know). The first time in 2013 the bar had chairs and tables but looked very uninviting. I ordered a small bocadillo at the bar and was suprised when she asked €5.00. I have no problem paying a fair price but I felt being taken advantage of. Well I guess that I didn't learn my lesson, this past October I did it again. This time the bar looked worse without tables and chairs. I was thirsty and so ordered only a clara...€3.00! But she did walk with me across the street to explain the way to the albergue although I told her that I had already been there before.

Re the store: In 2013 it opened up for us. In October I didn't ask about the store but two fellow pilgrims came in late and had no food. The "hospitalera" sold them some ham and bread from her house (I went with them to translate) in order to make sandwiches, both at a normal price.

Re the albergue: it is fine for what it is, more a refugio than an albergue. Basic but clean though definately not donativo although advertised in guides as such. But guys, where in the world can you sleep and take a hot shower for €5?

It is too late now but I do hope that you took the detour to the Monesterio de Moreruela!

Keep us informed. I have a Camino buddy who is going to start in Zamora June 3 and I promised that I would fill him in on anything new along the Sanabrés (I assume that you are doing it right?)

Buen Camino!

No sorry can't help with info its the French way for me!
I know I know but I like it
Maggie is on that route now and is producing a tremendous blog at www.magwood.me so lots of photos and info there.
As to Riego, believe me there is nothing wrong with the albergue, it is what it is, just be aware that the info provided by a certain individual may be suspect !
Regards
George

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Haha yeah, this place really left some impressions on me. We wanted to stay in the place before, cannot remember the name, but the albergue there had been closed for a while. When we came to Riego we had cycled 103km and really didn't want to go any further. The albergue was dirty and run down, but then again it had it's charme in a way. The female mayor came to cash for staying there and could provide us with some basic food.

The bar then was... different. The woman working there was fast, grumpy but hearty. Expect no good food but we survived and our bellies were filled.

Last edited:
It is the only place in hundreds of albergues that I ever checked into, then I left a short time later! Next door now is one of the great places in that stretch.
I walked out of Casa Maruja in Castromaior. Thank you for the heads up re. Albergue Os.

Walked into Riego del Camino and called in Bar Pepe for a drink, with the intention of pressing on to Granja.
Regards
George
There is a shop, but unrecognisable as such. Generally the will open if you knock/ring on the door. The Bar Pepe was the absolute pits - of anywhere I've ever been. DO NOT GO THERE IF THERE IS ANY CHOICE!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It looks the same as at 2012.. Some time you have to eat and think about other things then the taste of the food, or the quality..unfortunately! We ar going to walk the Mozarabe from Granada 2016/05..så we will probably fine our self there again..eating and thinking obout other bars!!

Buen Camino

Hi ngm,
If you are thinking of the Mozarabe, check out www.magwood.me there's lots of info that would be of use from Cordoba onwards.
We walked from Malaga it sure is a great Camino.
Regards
George

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back